The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East

The Red Sox's recent run of sensational starts is the club's best since 2002, when they also had seven games with at least five innings and no more than two runs from their starters.  yahoo.com

If this trend continues, look out AL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East

Great thread

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East

It'd be nice to embrace some of Nolan Ryan's thoughts and 'stretch' the pitch count to 120 or so to keep the bullpen really fresh.  In the past, it wasn't unusual at all and nobody needed Tommy John surgery.

Especially, when a pitcher is going great and the magic number of 100 is reached...leave him in the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I heard an interview with chris young where he said that he is a 120-130 pitch count guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In Response to The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox's recent run of sensational starts is the club's best since 2002, when they also had seven games with at least five innings and no more than two runs from their starters.  yahoo.com If this trend continues, look out AL!
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I believe the NESN graphic before the game said starters have a 1.01 ERA over the last 8 games.  Tough to beat that!  No doubt they will not sustain at this level, but it's good to see the rotation's potential as a whole.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

The Halos aren't exactly Murders Row but it is an improvement for the Sox staff.  Now the season starts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

very salient point, mikey.  This will not continue.  Eventually oneof the starters will have a blow-up game.  And just as quickly as all the fans have come to praising the staff as the best in baseball, many will come out to say what a waste of money said pitcher (whichever has the blow-out game) is.

It is the nature of the game.  There will be stretches of good and stretches of bad.  I just hope that they don't all go bad at the same time again.  I am encouraged that the good lasted two times through the rotation for everyone (provided Buchholz has a good start next time out).  That is a sign that this IS a good staff.  A so-so staff never has a run like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East:
    [QUOTE]very salient point, mikey.  This will not continue.  Eventually oneof the starters will have a blow-up game.  And just as quickly as all the fans have come to praising the staff as the best in baseball, many will come out to say what a waste of money said pitcher (whichever has the blow-out game) is. It is the nature of the game.  There will be stretches of good and stretches of bad.  I just hope that they don't all go bad at the same time again.  I am encouraged that the good lasted two times through the rotation for everyone (provided Buchholz has a good start next time out).  That is a sign that this IS a good staff.  A so-so staff never has a run like that.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]
    I agree Par....I hope it wasn't taken that I'm saying that they have a bad staff.  I think they have a good staff, I know all Yankee fans (or those that know anything about baseball) thought coming into the season that the Sox starting pitching was better than the Yankees.  Beckett looks good but he has to continue to do this over the long haul, I think Lester and Buchholz are both the goods.  The jury is still out on Dice-K and Lackey but of late they have looked good.  The Sox have a good staff but there will most likely be a thread started by Smiley or one of his characters claiming they are the best in baseball and unbeatable and yada yada yade based on their recent success.  Its a long season we'll see but of late they have looked good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox look very solid right now. 

Dice-K and Lackey tossing shutout innings. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox pitching is neither as bad as it appeared the first 12 games nor as good as it appeared the last 9 games, although I suspect the pitching is closer to the latter.

The Red Sox have taken steps toward erasing the doubts I had about Boston pitching entering the season. The Sox will be tough if the pitching holds up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Actually, the Red Sox pitchers have done very well since they called up Okajima from AAA. 

Do you guys think that Okajima is giving out motivational speeches before each game? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Well said Hill, RS nor any team can continue at this pace. But some really good signs for RS fans. The biggest is Beckett looks healthy as does Matsuzaka, and Dice K seems to be pitching to strike zone instead of nibbling and finding out his stuff is good enough if he hits his spots. Lester has been Lester, and Lackey will win his share of games. The only thing would like to see Buchholz get it going and throw a dominant game 7-8ip 1 run would be nice. Rotation looks like it finally might pitch like alot of people thought it would last year. Lets just hope everyone stays healthy, not alot of depth- Wake/Aceves/Doubront then ......? Each has some ?'s

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

uh oh, do i detect some swagger BGM?...Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: The Only True Barometer: Starting Pitching: If the Recent Trend Continues Then The Red Sox will Run away with the AL East:
    [QUOTE]Great thread
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]
    Self engrandize much?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The starting pitching doesn't have to be like it's been in the last rotation rounds. It simply has to be 3 solid starters for a season plus one or two fair bottom rotation guys. With Beckett appearing to regain his better form and join Lester and Buch from last year, DiceK returning to more confidence and at least marginal bottom rotation form, Slackey being a fair bottom of the rotation peformer, the Red Sox will run away with the division if that holds true without any long term (more than a couple of weeks) DL's.

The offense, with AGon, even with Crawford, was always going to be near the top or at the top.

The barometer early readings are quite strong.

The reason for the 5-1 west coast trip (not something to be taken lightly given Red Sox recent past history) was the starting pitching. That's a barometer reading in and of itself.

If the starting pitching continues healthy and performs 80% of that trip, the Red Sox are simply too good for any other AL. That includes the overrated Rangers, who will not have the success without Lee. The opening serious was simply a lot of emotion and confidence from the previous season.

For those who didn't post it when the O's were 7 or 8 and 0, the O's were never for real. They are  improved, but are not contenders in any sense of the word.