The Outfield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Outfield

Ellsbury has been far and away the most productive member of the Sox outfield this year.  Crawford has been in a deep slump which hopefully he is coming out of.  Drew has simply been unproductive--Ellsbury has twice the total bases, 2.5 the rbi's and runs scored, and plays every day, something Drew has never been accused of doing.  Cameron and McDonald have made Drew look good, if that's possible, which explains why Reddick just replaced McDonald, who went on the DL because he has a bone in his leg.

But yesterday we saw the possibility the outfield can actually be productive on offense.  All the Sox have to do is give Reddick a shot, which might require putting Drew on the DL.  In other words, why wait until the offseason to figure out how to replace Drew?  If Reddick can indeed finally hit MLB pitching, now is the perfect time to check him out, very much as Ellsbury got a shot in 2007.  Besides, replacing a nonproductive Drew ain't hard to do. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

Re: The Outfield

let me get this straight, REDDICK has played one game so far this year and you want him to replace DREW.
    i agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im all about giving a kid a shot Max..Drews injured too much to play act is old..We got kids that actually WANT TO PLAY..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Before someone else does, let me be the first to say I could be dead wrong.  But replacing McDonald, who couldn't have been hurting that bad (unless total boredom bad for your health), with Reddick is at the least very suggestive of the FO's thinking. 

Maybe a righty bat in the outfield makes more sense, but how do you get a good one as cheap or as available as Reddick? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to The Outfield:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury has been far and away the most productive member of the Sox outfield this year.  Crawford has been in a deep slump which hopefully he is coming out of.  Drew has simply been unproductive--Ellsbury has twice the total bases, 2.5 the rbi's and runs scored, and plays every day, something Drew has never been accused of doing.  Cameron and McDonald have made Drew look good, if that's possible, which explains why Reddick just replaced McDonald, who went on the DL because he has a bone in his leg. But yesterday we saw the possibility the outfield can actually be productive on offense.  All the Sox have to do is give Reddick a shot, which might require putting Drew on the DL.  In other words, why wait until the offseason to figure out how to replace Drew? If Reddick can indeed finally hit MLB pitching,now is the perfect time to check him out, very much as Ellsbury got a shot in 2007.  Besides, replacing a nonproductive Drew ain't hard to do. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Therein is the quandry. 

But that is true of all prospects.

The RF spot will be the only questionable spot for time to come.  I realize I ought to know how long Ellsbury's obligated to the Sox, but I think we have finally heard the last of the knocks on him.  Instead as soon as he becomes eligible, we will be seeing how many dead presidents his "super" agent Boras can squeeze out ...  We best enjoy his time here.  I'm not sure just how much the FO is going to be willing to spend on him.  Surely JD's equivalent, when it comes to cost.

Congrats to Ells and Carl ... they are playing well!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: The Outfield:
    [QUOTE]let me get this straight, REDDICK has played one game so far this year and you want him to replace DREW. i agree.
    Posted by the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Reddick has drawn more BB (26) in 44 games at AAA this year than he did in 114 games last year (25).  Reddick's plate discipline has been what the organization has stated they are waiting to see improve, which is pretty standard for a 24 year old and thus far this year he has demonstrated at AAA an ability to see more pitches, something we all know is a huge priority around here.

Giving him an extended look, as long as he is playing well, seems like a good idea to me.  Drew (AKA Roger Dorn) doesn't seem to have much urgency, so maybe letting him know he isn't all that irreplacable would be a good thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Outfield : Reddick has drawn more BB (26) in 44 games at AAA this year than he did in 114 games last year (25).  Reddick's plate discipline has been what the organization has stated they are waiting to see improve, which is pretty standard for a 24 year old and thus far this year he has demonstrated at AAA an ability to see more pitches, something we all know is a huge priority around here. Giving him an extended look, as long as he is playing well, seems like a good idea to me.  Drew (AKA Roger Dorn) doesn't seem to have much urgency, so maybe letting him know he isn't all that irreplacable would be a good thing.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I thought that was true, but it's nice to read someone with the hard data. 

Over the years softlaw has been one of Drew's great defenders, and, to be honest, I pretty much agreed with him.  Drew had a pretty good skill set, even if he was never that productive.  But this year his OPS is down and his production way down, plus, thank goodness, it's his last year in Boston. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

I like the thinking here, but one thing I want to caution against is trying to read the minds of the front office. Francona made it quite clear that McDonald is NOT very hurt, but that he was added to the DL because he would have to be out at least a few days, and with Drew also knicked up the Sox need a healthy OFer to tie things over.

I don't think Theo is planning on giving up entirely on Drew (especially given that he has still at least gotten on base and has played his usual strong defense in RF), but it otherwise makes sense to give Reddick a chance to fill the OF need of the moment while auditioning for more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think reading too much into Reddick is only slightly less aggressive than reading too much into Drew Sutton who at his current pace will break TS Williams .406 season.

Reddick's plate patience is improving but it absolutely is not pretty standard for a 24 year old who has been in the RS system being taught the "RS way" at three levels of baseball. These guys are taught to keep a diary of every AB pitch by pitch to learn from. He still is a free swinger and while his OBP has improved to an acceptable level his avg his low for MLB standards and his SLG has a natural over statement that comes from hitting versus AAA rather MLB competition.

It is understandable that outside observers take smaller sample sets and gather great enthusiasm or displeasure from them. The baseball operations professionals tend to take a longer view.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I think reading too much into Reddick is only slightly less aggressive than reading too much into Drew Sutton who at his current pace will break TS Williams .406 season. Reddick's plate patience is improving but it absolutely is not pretty standard for a 24 year old who has been in the RS system being taught the "RS way" at three levels of baseball. These guys are taught to keep a diary of every AB pitch by pitch to learn from. He still is a free swinger and while his OBP has improved to an acceptable level his avg his low for MLB standards and his SLG has a natural over statement that comes from hitting versus AAA rather MLB competition. It is understandable that outside observers take smaller sample sets and gather great enthusiasm or displeasure from them. The baseball operations professionals tend to take a longer view.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Very sensible, which is why my second post said I could be dead wrong. 

But I disagree with you about Drew--Saltalamacchia has been more productive than J.D. Drew.  That's right.  Despite batting 9th and playing in 8 fewer games, Salty has 1 more dinger, 1 less run, and 5 more rbi's than J.D., whose OPS this season is almost 200 points below his career average.  Unlike Ortiz, who is the same age, Drew is looking old at the plate.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldnt say give Reddick the job, just a chance to earn some more playing time.. This could also be to showcase him since there were a few teams interested...Just a thought..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Agree.  You can't give it to him because he hasn't earned it yet.  But I like that he is getting a shot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If you notice, Reddick has progressed a little slower at each level than a lot of his peers. I think hes almost there. The good pitch recognition, well better anyways, is a good sign..Hes got a little more to go, but its encouraging to see him improving. Not all ballplayers develop at the same rate and I think Josh still has a chance to be more than a 4th OF'r, which is what most are saying about him..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I think reading too much into Reddick is only slightly less aggressive than reading too much into Drew Sutton who at his current pace will break TS Williams .406 season. Reddick's plate patience is improving but it absolutely is not pretty standard for a 24 year old who has been in the RS system being taught the "RS way" at three levels of baseball. These guys are taught to keep a diary of every AB pitch by pitch to learn from. He still is a free swinger and while his OBP has improved to an acceptable level his avg his low for MLB standards and his SLG has a natural over statement that comes from hitting versus AAA rather MLB competition. It is understandable that outside observers take smaller sample sets and gather great enthusiasm or displeasure from them. The baseball operations professionals tend to take a longer view.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Pedroia is more or less a free swinger, never has high BB totals.  We all the well documented saga of Ellsbury's OBP, when he was 24 he had a 2/1 K/BB ratio.  So to say that Reddick is some kind of aberration in the Red Sox orgnanizational philosophy to plate discipline is a stretch. 

I don't know that anyone really thinks that Reddick is going to ultimately be the kind of hitter that Ells and Pedey have shown they can be at the big league level, but Reddick has shown progress the past couple years.  In 2009 he hit well at AA, was moved to AAA and struggled.  Then in 2010 he showed improvement at AAA, so it doesn't seem unrealistic to think given the opportunity he could figure out big league pitching.

More to the point of the discussion, with JD Dorn doing whatever it is he is doing, Reddick seems like the logical guy to fill in, he brings energy, has decent speed and plays a pretty good RF.  If they want to send him back down when JD is ready, that is fine, but giving Reddick some more MLB exposure is a good thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

of course THEO hasn't given up on DREW.
    THEO was the genius that signed him.

hopefully, the manager will play the guy that's producing and NOT the one that's being paid the most. but, unfortunately,i'm sure DREW will be back out 'mannequining' RF.

i don't know how much in dollars that grand slam was worth in '07, but i do believe DREW does owe the SOX some serious change.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Say what you will about JD and there is plenty to say, the grand slam was epic and his 2008 post-season was also incredible.  I think he was maybe the only guy who really hit in the the sweep against LA in 09?

I think the fact that he has such hot stretches, only adds to the frustration.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Can we at least wait and see if Reddick can hit better than his .198 career average before we sit Drew? 

-Daf. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

DREW has as many 'hot flashes' as EDITH BUNKER.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

Why does Drew only look like he is playing(or cares)hen he is playing defense, he drives you crazy when he is at bat, but he is our best defensive outfielder

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The logical decision is to see how Reddick does while Drew is out, if he performs, make them platoon for a while, with continuing production, he earns a spot much like Lowrie did. After one game making him the starter is jumping the gun.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Drew is aging.
    The expanded stike zone really hurt him last year.
    Next year he's gone.

If the FO plans to replace him with Reddick/Kalish, my guess is, the beginning of this transition will occur in 2011. Don't be surprised to see Mac gone by late July, and Drew being babied to ensure being healthy come October.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, then that would make both Mac and Scut's future with the club tentative at best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Reddick should replace Drew for the simple fact that I cannot watch Drew play any more. I think I'd rather see a guy chase a pitch out of the zone rather than watch a third strike with runners on all the time. It may not be rational as Drew has a great OBP and plays a great RF, but it's what I want and that is all that matters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick should replace Drew for the simple fact that I cannot watch Drew play any more. I think I'd rather see a guy chase a pitch out of the zone rather than watch a third strike with runners on all the time. It may not be rational as Drew has a great OBP and plays a great RF, but it's what I want and that is all that matters.
    Posted by Wolfpack13[/QUOTE]

Why, of course. What else could possibly matter?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Reading between the lines of what Tito said yesterday they are on the fence with DMac. IMO they RS are going to carry another OF, preferably one that could also at least play the corners in the IF and is RH when they make that move and they aren't going to get blinded by Drew Sutton joining in on a two day slugfest.

I say this because I believe that Reddick call up signaled the RS aren't comfortable with expecting much from Mike Cameron. If they were they would have let him play the OF even if they called Reddick up for the few days Drew will be on the shelf versus RH starters.

Just hunch.