The REAL September Problem Child

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The REAL September Problem Child

NATE SPEARS!!!!

Think about it.  He was called up September 1.  What was the Sox record before his call up?  What was it after?  Coincidence?

And exactly how many times did Nate Separs stop the pitchers from their beer and chicken picnics?  None.

How many hits did Nate Spears get?  NONE!  Please tell me how THAT was helping the team, all those of you crying out for more offense!!

THe problem was NATE NATE NATE!! Think of a word that rhymes with Nate and begins with "H".  Again, I ask you, coincidence?

People out there blaming Beckett or Crawford or Drew missed the big picture.  And the big picture points at the little guy on the bench as the REAL reason for the September collapse...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: The REAL September Problem Child

Stooge

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yes, Nate Spears is the stooge...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tito misused Nate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Tim Wastefield was the real problem child, but it appears his "fans deserve the chance to see me" welfare contract tour has been mercifully removed from the books.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Good job Notin, you've managed to humorously, if not intentionally to take a look at the elephant in the room. The events that followed September give us a viewing of who, or what, if you will was the "problem child". The swap of Papelbon for a new closer addresses the problem of over extending resources for a 3 or 4 batter closer. (remember Andino's double in Sept@Fenway?) The non renewal of Francona acknowledged his leadership had gone stale. The signing of a RH power bat to play the outfield (a cause, I championed btw) points to the line-up being too LH. The transition of fireballing Bard and the mystifying Aceves resets the pitching matchups in every series and aids the defense as well. The non-tender of Varitek solves the run at will prevent defense in place every 5th game, and gets rid of the primadonna attitude of personal caddies. The sign and trade of Scutaro allows the team to play a SS at the position, as Scut, was a glorified 2B with absolutely no arm, that's a fact.
     I can't think of one move or happenstance in the off season that weakened the team, each move addressed a problem child, and now the family is functional again.
     Some have said that it was injuries, bad luck, or just the way it goes, but clearly if the brass believed that, they could have just made one acquisition as Rojas said; Stan Pat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

here's the video...pay attention to Jim Palmer " WOW! Nineteen straight fastballs"http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19457569&topic_id=8879002&c_id=bal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

...and a week later, same players, different stage...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120125&content_id=26460104&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Youkillis forgot to mention the other 20 players that underperformed during the September collapse and the two starters on the DL plus Beckett's injured ankle. Papi and Agon hit terribly vs. the Yanks and TB in Sept.. The overall team defense and baserunning was terrible. If the FO patched up everything that was responsible for the Sept collapse then they would have to get rid of virtually 20 of the 25 players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

someone should ask Francona if the events of September were no big deal....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

LadyLake,

No one is saying that there were several reasons for the Sox collapse in September, injuries (Lackey, Beckett, Dice-K and Youk), defensive laspses (Crawford's is most notable), offensive impotence (Ortiz, Crawford, Reddick), and ineffective pitching almost all around.  But you cannot also deny that if Papelbon had shut down the Orioles in those two games, the Sox would have won the wild card outright.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I heard Spears was only signed because he has good weed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I heard he had discount coupons to KFC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: The REAL September Problem Child:
    [QUOTE]LadyLake, No one is saying that there were several reasons for the Sox collapse in September, injuries (Lackey, Beckett, Dice-K and Youk), defensive laspses (Crawford's is most notable), offensive impotence (Ortiz, Crawford, Reddick), and ineffective pitching almost all around.  But you cannot also deny that if Papelbon had shut down the Orioles in those two games, the Sox would have won the wild card outright.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

how many games did paps/bard pitch in the final ten days??? the starting pitchers literally made their arms like jelly..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

No denying the starting pitching was horrid in September.  But I am also not sure how much that had to do with Bard's and Papelbon's meltdowns, because I do not know whether they were used at an abnormally high rate in September or not. 

I do know that neither pitched an extremely high number of innings in the course of the full season.  Papelbon pitched in the second fewest innings since becoming the closer, and Bard pitched one less inning than in 2011, when he finished strong.  Bard himself opined that it was a mechanical flaw that caused his Septmenber swoon. 

Papelbon might just have been a victim of facing the wrong batter (Andino) twice in the same week in save situations.  Andino is a fastball hitter who took advantage of Papelbon's almost exclusive use of the fastball in his pitch selection.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]No denying the starting pitching was horrid in September.  But I am also not sure how much that had to do with Bard's and Papelbon's meltdowns, because I do not know whether they were used at an abnormally high rate in September or not.  I do know that neither pitched an extremely high number of innings in the course of the full season.  Papelbon pitched in the second fewest innings since becoming the closer, and Bard pitched one less inning than in 2011, when he finished strong.  Bard himself opined that it was a mechanical flaw that caused his Septmenber swoon.  Papelbon might just have been a victim of facing the wrong batter (Andino) twice in the same week in save situations.  Andino is a fastball hitter who took advantage of Papelbon's almost exclusive use of the fastball in his pitch selection.

Im just going by memory, Im sure Moon could back this up w/some research, but Im positive that in that last week the duo pitched like 4-5 times....Francona was desperate and overused them badly....but I cant say i know the exact figures...but blaming them seems really wrong for the sept meltdown

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I don't and never have blamed either for the September meltdown.  I only point out, and have several times in other posts, that Papelbon blew two games late in the season against the Orioles, and that is all that was needed to be the wildcard team. 

Doubt they would have gone anywhere inthe playoffs if they had made it, since there were so many other problems with the team, but while no one can say for certain what or who caused the September collapse, you cannot deny that Papelbon blew those two games.  Someone else might have, if it weren't him.  But it was him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And yes, I was hoping that moon might shed some statistical light on the situation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i think that we should all forget last year as this season is getting ready to start.

no one can go back and replay any of those games unless you are playing a table top game so forget september and all the other months.

new GM, new manager, some new players, a new season.  pitchers and catchers in a very few days.

go sox in 2012.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Time for my annual watching of "Fever Pitch."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]LadyLake, No one is saying that there were several reasons for the Sox collapse in September, injuries (Lackey, Beckett, Dice-K and Youk), defensive laspses (Crawford's is most notable), offensive impotence (Ortiz, Crawford, Reddick), and ineffective pitching almost all around.  But you cannot also deny that if Papelbon had shut down the Orioles in those two games, the Sox would have won the wild card outright.

That's true and being in the postseason for three games would have generated some much needed revenue ( $10 - $20 mil, guessing). However given their injuries I doubt that they would last longer than the first series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m