The Red Sox Have No Backup Outfielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: The Red Sox Have No Backup Outfielder

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Jeremy Hazelbaker maybe?  Could be platoon player with Gomes.  He has plus speed, glove, decent pop in his bat

Hazelbaker should receive an invite to spring training if nothing else.  He doesnt have tremendous upside, but hes a lefty who can play defense.  Hes also 25, so hes gotten a lot of at-bats.

Most of the leading candidates (Brentz , Linares) dont makes sense because they are righties. Considering that Vic and Jones are better against lefties, it makes sense , from a roster construction standpoint, to bring a lefty into the mix.

I'd say that Nava, Sweeney , and Hazelbaker should be the internal options considered.  I also wouldnt be surprised to see Bradley given a shot.  This is a 450 AB position, not a backup.  Bradley can play all 3 OF positions and is a lefty.  Although his lack of at-bats at AA and AAA is certainly cause for concern.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Some would argue that the Sox have 5 bu outfielders on the roster....not sure that our teams fortune rest on how good our 4th or 5th outfielders are...

Ells in center 150 games, Gomes in left 120 ish Victorino in right 150 with Sweeney and Nava as backups...that means we'll need about 60 games or so from the reserves...not all that big a deal...

I'm in complete agreement. There is no big problem here. Just another thread with false concerns.

I don't think they are false concerns, but they are relatively minor ones.    Still, we want the best roster possible 1-25.

Would Nava & Sweeney be such a terrible backup duo?  Gomes and Victorino both struggle vs RHP and Gomes is not a good fielder.  Nava has a high OBP vs RHP, Sweeney is a (pop-less) .750 OPS vs RHP and Sweeney can field all three OF positions well. 

How many cheap backup OFs are (ever) available that field well and hit well?  My memory tells me that Pods was brilliant last year....but a quick check reveals that his OPS was .674 (1 HR in 216 PA) and Sweeney's was .675 (0 HR in 219 PA).  And being 9 years younger at 28 Sweeney must have more upside.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Some would argue that the Sox have 5 bu outfielders on the roster....not sure that our teams fortune rest on how good our 4th or 5th outfielders are...

Ells in center 150 games, Gomes in left 120 ish Victorino in right 150 with Sweeney and Nava as backups...that means we'll need about 60 games or so from the reserves...not all that big a deal...

I'm in complete agreement. There is no big problem here. Just another thread with false concerns.

I don't think they are false concerns, but they are relatively minor ones.    Still, we want the best roster possible 1-25.

Would Nava & Sweeney be such a terrible backup duo?  Gomes and Victorino both struggle vs RHP and Gomes is not a good fielder.  Nava has a high OBP vs RHP, Sweeney is a (pop-less) .750 OPS vs RHP and Sweeney can field all three OF positions well. 

How many cheap backup OFs are (ever) available that field well and hit well?  My memory tells me that Pods was brilliant last year....but a quick check reveals that his OPS was .674 (1 HR in 216 PA) and Sweeney's was .675 (0 HR in 219 PA).  And being 9 years younger at 28 Sweeney must have more upside.

And Sweeney throws a better punch than Podsednik!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

And Sweeney throws a better punch than Podsednik!

Although not as good as Coco...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

I disagree, they have plenty of backup outfielders.  Only problem is 2 of them will be starting.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Yup, I'm not quite sure why posters think there is such a huge difference between Kalish and Sweeney.  If I wanted someone to start in the OF for the next 5 years, I'd pick Kalish.  If I need a #5 OF, Sweeney is probably slightly better than Kalish.  Here's a choice for you-

Player A .275/.333/.366/.699

Player B .290/.326/.373/.699

Those stats are over three years, so it isn't a tiny sample size.  And one of those two players will be our #5, and one of them will be the NYY starting RF.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Life is too short to be so negative and miserable all of the time.

One can be neagative about one's team's chances, but still wildly enjoy watching them play.

There were some fans like this for over 80 years.

Having some negative thoughts is not equated with miserableness in my world.

I, for one, know I will thoroughly enjoy watching every single pitch of every single Sox game this year. Being a realist does not interfere with loving baseball for what it is: the best sport in the world!

Baseball for baseball's sake.