The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason

I don't know who or what it would take but the red sox should make offseason priority #1 to acquare an ace. Remember what Pedro did for this team with him alone the red sox pretty much became a playoff team I wouldn't go as far as a contender because there wasn't many other good starters behind him but the red sox made the alcs with just pedro in 99. The ace pitccher would set the rest of the rotation up very nicely. I would love to get king felix but not sure if the mariners would pull the trigger. Red Sox fans be happy we are heading in a new direction and ridding our team of players who are under preforming and don't wana be in boston. I am very excited to see the new direction the sox are heading and so glad we can put an end to this era of the sox core.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason

While Shields is no Pedro, there's no way TB pays Shields-  13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout) the next 2 years.

I'd offer them Lava (then sign Montero), Aviles, Mortensen, Ranaudo, and Gomez. (possibly Shaw instead of Gomez).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Do you think John Henry will be signing up for any big free agent contracts in the very near future....I seriously doubt it....If you trade for an ace you still have to sign him...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, Shields is under control for 2 years at just $9M and $2M. Then we could trade him or get the draft pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason:
    [QUOTE]No, Shields is under control for 2 years at just $9M and $2M. Then we could trade him or get the draft pick.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Moon, Shields is a decent pitcher, and a ground-ball hurler as well (obviously good in Fenway).  It would be a great pick-up, but I would hardly call him an ace...He might keep the Red Sox out of fourth place, but I doubt he will make them a playoff contender....I think whether Papi signs or not is a huge key...If he does not return, I really consider this team a gutted franchise...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

If Henry is not inclined to sign off on big contracts anymore...what do you think the appeal of playing in Boston will be?   Does Shields have rights?  I think for the next few months we will be reading the typical unrealistic trade threads that pop up all the time.  I have the feeling that we will see just how deep our farm system truly is.  I am sure Bill is rolling over in the yard like an excited puppy about the events of the last day or so but the real truth is the RS are in trouble.  A fan base that can be unrealistic and an atmosphere that is less than desireable (if you believe the hype).  Moon your stats are always on point but I personally like Lava and hope there is another way. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]If Henry is not inclined to sign off on big contracts anymore...what do you think the appeal of playing in Boston will be?   Does Shields have rights?  I think for the next few months we will be reading the typical unrealistic trade threads that pop up all the time.  I have the feeling that we will see just how deep our farm system truly is.  I am sure Bill is rolling over in the yard like an excited puppy about the events of the last day or so but the real truth is the RS are in trouble.  A fan base that can be unrealistic and an atmosphere that is less than desireable (if you believe the hype).  Moon your stats are always on point but I personally like Lava and hope there is another way. 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Is that a rhetorical question? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think JH will make signing Ortiz a priority after this trade is completed--it may not be for the amount Ortiz is looking for but I think it should get done and it will be fair-realistically 2 years  $20 M. He can hope for Arb but I don't think the Sox bite on that this year.

I have a feeling they may look at someone like Dempster on a 3 year deal.

They may just choose to go with:
    Buch, Lester, Lackey, Morales, and a blend of young guys, for #5, whoever impresses in ST. 

Ben did his homework on the prospects, especially the young arms, I'm sure they were on the draft boards Ben and Theo scrutinized but were taken before the Sox had a choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I don't know about you guys, but Shield's numbers do not look like the numbers for a team's anchor or stopper...
    I live in Tampa and they call him "Big Game James"...it is a running joke around here. He is NOT the guy...he had two decent years and his having what looks like a very good year, this year. Not Pedro numbers, by any stretch of the imagination.
    Shields Career #'s

2006 24 TBD AL 6 8 .429 4.84

2007 25 TBD AL 12 8 .600 3.85

2008 26 TBR AL 14 8 .636 3.56

2009 27 TBR AL 11 12 .478 4.14

2010 28 TBR AL 13 15 .464 5.18

2011 29 TBR AL 16 12 .571 2.82

2012 30 TBR AL 12 7 .632 4.01

Just so I am not accused of "cherry picking" , I included all of Pedro's #'s

1992 20 LAD NL 0 1 .000 2.25

1993 21 LAD NL 10 5 .667 2.61

1994 22 MON NL 11 5 .688 3.42

1995 23 MON NL 14 10 .583 3.51

1996 24 MON NL 13 10 .565 3.70

1997 25 MON NL 17 8 .680 1.90

1998 26 BOS AL 19 7 .731 2.89

1999 27 BOS AL 23 4 .852 2.07

2000 28 BOS AL 18 6 .750 1.74

2001 29 BOS AL 7 3 .700 2.39

2002 30 BOS AL 20 4 .833 2.26

2003 31 BOS AL 14 4 .778 2.22

2004 32 BOS AL 16 9 .640 3.90

2005 33 NYM NL 15 8 .652 2.82

2006 34 NYM NL 9 8 .529 4.48

2007 35 NYM NL 3 1 .750 2.57

2008 36 NYM NL 5 6 .455 5.61

2009 37 PHI NL 5 1 .833 3.63

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason:
    [QUOTE]I don't know who or what it would take but the red sox should make offseason priority #1 to acquare an ace. Remember what Pedro did for this team with him alone the red sox pretty much became a playoff team I wouldn't go as far as a contender because there wasn't many other good starters behind him but the red sox made the alcs with just pedro in 99. The ace pitccher would set the rest of the rotation up very nicely. I would love to get king felix but not sure if the mariners would pull the trigger. Red Sox fans be happy we are heading in a new direction and ridding our team of players who are under preforming and don't wana be in boston. I am very excited to see the new direction the sox are heading and so glad we can put an end to this era of the sox core.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]lETS GET THIS BLOCKBUSTER DONE 1ST......  tODAY COULD be the biggest day of our baseball lives !!!!  Big day in history !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

They can take on Cliff Lee's salary

Resign Ortiz and Ross (2/35 and 3/20)

and Sign Mike Napoli (3/35)

and spend the same amount of money that they did on the JB, CC, and AG without increasing payroll.....in fact, you have guys like Jenks and Dice K coming off the books and that money could go towards resigning Ellsbury (5/85)....

Ortiz, Ross, and Napoli would not be huge contracts.

Ellsbury would be a large contract but not a mega deal

The big one would be for Lee but it's only for 3 or 4 more years (vs 5 for CC and 6 for AG)......

Then use the FARM and not FA to fill in the gaps

Finally, IMO the worst attitude in the clubhouse was Beckett, CC was just a waste, and AG was not happy here and was never going to be the "left handed Manny Rameriz" that Theo claimed he would be......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

MLBTR has the list of FA by position that may be available this offseason; it also has a list of players that have cleared waivers for trades before the last day of Aug.

Napoli and Ianetta are two guys I would like to see the Sox talk with as long as THEY WANT TO PLAY IN BOSTON. There are many more good people out there but I think that should be part of the criteria for considering acquisitions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]MLBTR has the list of FA by position that may be available this offseason; it also has a list of players that have cleared waivers for trades before the last day of Aug. Napoli and Ianetta are two guys I would like to see the Sox talk with as long as THEY WANT TO PLAY IN BOSTON. There are many more good people out there but I think that should be part of the criteria for considering acquisitions.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

how do you determine who "wants to play in Boston"?

you ask them?  they will lie

you use Theo's Private Investigator?  that don't work

has the gob'ment invented their brain wave reading machine yet and does John Henry have access to it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : lETS GET THIS BLOCKBUSTER DONE 1ST......  tODAY COULD be the biggest day of our baseball lives !!!!  Big day in history !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

wow, that's over the top

biggest days for me were in 2004 - G7 and then G4.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

andrew when you tell those little white lies everyone knows. So when Ben asks--he'll know for sure who wants in...

As far as an ace in the offseason--I would say let's see who we finally end up with after the trade dust settles and what they show in Sept., wherever they are assigned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : wow, that's over the top biggest days for me were in 2004 - G7 and then G4.........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]andrew......  It's so easy to remember the good times, but it is something special to remember when the "dark days" came to an end ......  I feel like a kid again !!!   as Dad would say.... "SON, remember, it is hard to get to the top, even harder to stay there"  !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am wondering if they are going to go back to the Marlins and make a deal for Reyes and or Josh Johnson, because Florida is looking to dump serious payroll. Now with all the money they are saving it should be interesting to see what they are going to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I am wondering if they are going to go back to the Marlins and make a deal for Reyes and or Josh Johnson, because Florida is looking to dump serious payroll. Now with all the money they are saving it should be interesting to see what they are going to do.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

A SS and a starter would be nice but not sure those are the right guys unless it's just a PARTIAL salary dump for the Marlins??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : andrew......  It's so easy to remember the good times, but it is something special to remember when the "dark days" came to an end ......  I feel like a kid again !!!   as Dad would say.... "SON, remember, it is hard to get to the top, even harder to stay there"  !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

still nothing compares to 2004

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

I like Shields but hes not the caliber pitcher I have in mind who I want at the top of the Red Sox rotation I am thinking and hopeing for a sure fire ace. I don't care what it takes to get an ace the Red Sox should be open to all possibilites. No players or prospects are off the table I don't see ELLS coming back here when his deal is up Borris will get him a mega multi year deal else where I think.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm hoping we go after Johnny Cueto.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hoping we go after Johnny Cueto.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I like Cueto as well I think this season shows last season for him was no fluke. I am dreaming big like king felix Cool its great just to have hope again for this team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : I like Cueto as well I think this season shows last season for him was no fluke. I am dreaming big like king felix   its great just to have hope again for this team.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]Probably not going to happen, but we could match up with the Reds in a trade.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]They can take on Cliff Lee's salary Resign Ortiz and Ross (2/35 and 3/20) and Sign Mike Napoli (3/35) and spend the same amount of money that they did on the JB, CC, and AG without increasing payroll.....in fact, you have guys like Jenks and Dice K coming off the books and that money could go towards resigning Ellsbury (5/85).... Ortiz, Ross, and Napoli would not be huge contracts. Ellsbury would be a large contract but not a mega deal The big one would be for Lee but it's only for 3 or 4 more years (vs 5 for CC and 6 for AG)...... Then use the FARM and not FA to fill in the gaps Finally, IMO the worst attitude in the clubhouse was Beckett, CC was just a waste, and AG was not happy here and was never going to be the "left handed Manny Rameriz" that Theo claimed he would be......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

are you suggesting giving ortiz 17.5 a year, and ross 6.67 a year? what sorts of drugs are you on? and you think ellsbury will sign for 5/85? dear lord

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Cueto's unattainable - you're not going to get the best pitcher off a division leading team.  That's pie in the sky.

Felix is suspect - his sudden rise in velocity is not natural.  http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=4772&position=P&pitch=FA

Stay away from Felix.

Maybe RA Dickey?