The Sox need to sign...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

The Sox need to sign...

Soriano. Two years 26 million. Let's stay on the 13 million a year kick. Here's why... Andrew Bailey is not the answer. Not sure if Bailey is good enough and if he's good enough not sure if he can stay healthy. Certain players such as Ellsbury, JD Drew, Jose Reyes, etc. always seem to find the DL. Bailey is no different. Face it we aren't signing a big bat or stud arm... maybe we can make it a 6 inning game. With Soriano the Sox would have the best pen in the east.

Two caveats-- one,  if the starting pitching stinks we're doomed anyway I realize this, but the starting pitching is what it is. And two, there is one major issue bringing in Soriano and that is does one of them sulk being relegated as the 8th inning guy?

If I'm out of my mind... tell me why.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: The Sox need to sign...

I have felt Soriano if signed early might have been a magnet that could attract some starting pitching.

Shorten the game to 6 innings with a strong pen anchored by Soriano can make a team a contender.

Aceves, Miller, Morales, Melancon, Tazawa, Breslow and Soriano---tough group.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have felt Soriano if signed early might have been a magnet that could attract some starting pitching.

Shorten the game to 6 innings with a strong pen anchored by Soriano can make a team a contender.

[/QUOTE]

Uehara.. and we're bound to trade SOMEONE in the pen.. also you can't count Atch and Hill out. they are some of the best pitchers on the staff recently... well when they're on the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

I like it. That would definitely be one of the better bullpens in baseball. I have two questions.

First, How many roster spots does the bullpen usually require? Aceves,Miller,Morales,Melancon,Breslow,Tazawa,Uehara,Bailey, Atch, Hill, and Soriano count for 11.  

Second, I hope I'm wrong but, given that the Sox are in a "bridge" year they probably won't generate as many save opportunities for Soriano. Would that keep him from wanting to sign with the Sox? 

Either way, I like the idea of adding more pitching to the roster. Go Sox ! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

You can add Bard to the mix too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to wonderdrums's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like it. That would definitely be one of the better bullpens in baseball. I have two questions.

First, How many roster spots does the bullpen usually require? Aceves,Miller,Morales,Melancon,Breslow,Tazawa,Uehara,Bailey, Atch, Hill, and Soriano count for 11.  

Second, I hope I'm wrong but, given that the Sox are in a "bridge" year they probably won't generate as many save opportunities for Soriano. Would that keep him from wanting to sign with the Sox? 

Either way, I like the idea of adding more pitching to the roster. Go Sox ! 

[/QUOTE]

The answer to your question is most teams use 12 roster spots for the pitching staff (5 starters and 7 relievers). Adding Soriano to the mix while not out of the question would give us a surplus of quality arms. In the end someone would have to go...DL, AAA, trade or outrighted...Hill and Atchison both were already non tendered so as we sit today our pen would have Bailey, Uehara, Aceves, Miller, Breslow, Melancon, Tazawa (options?)...Morales is certainly in the mix for either late innings lefty role or the longman who also could be part of the mix for the starting rotation (see Lackey's time line to return?). So based on the above we're already at the max depending on Tazawa status re; options.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Uehara.. and we're bound to trade SOMEONE in the pen.. also you can't count Atch and Hill out. they are some of the best pitchers on the staff recently... well when they're on the field.

[/QUOTE]
    429--thanks, I always leave an important one out--Maybe Breslow odd man out--that could be a Monster pen--put a radar Gun in the pen, they would start competing warming up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

As I am not really a stat guy I don't know the exact numbers but I seem to remember that the RS were near the top of the list in blown saves.  This pen looks much better than last and Soriano as the finisher ( kind a hate the word closer)  would be a nice addition to a very good looking pen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is hilarious! You're assuming we get to the 6th inning with a lead, when all indications with the SP we have say we will not, as often as necessary.

We already have one of the stronger pens. The BP is not the problem (except for a bonafide closer). It's the SP!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is hilarious! You're assuming we get to the 6th inning with a lead, when all indications with the SP we have say we will not, as often as necessary.

We already have one of the stronger pens. The BP is not the problem (except for a bonafide closer). It's the SP!

[/QUOTE]

"except for a bonafide closer)

Which is why the author suggested signing Soriano.

Was he going too fast for you?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree the bullpen would be the best in MLB, but I could be afraid to see them to be over-work cuz of a possible all five starting pitchers cant eat up innings for every start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PLease explain HOW we have one of the strongest pens and where you got this information from??  We had one of the worst BP ERA's last season and were 3rd in blown saves....with the same BP......  Really....please explain......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

Not sure how valuable a closer would be on a team that is not expected to win many games.

Especially when you consider the cost $$ wise and wouldn't they lose one of the draft picks that many in here covet so much?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Soriano??? I'm trying to figure out why no one has signed him to a long term deal yet. 3teams in 3years and each year a new team?

id like him here as I also like the idea of options in the BP. I do not like one closer. When Paps and Bard were the guys it was a good feeling that Bard could step in on that occasion when Paps had gone 2 or 3 days in a row. Having Bailey and Soriano as well as Bard band Aceves would fix a lot of what was wrong with the BP last year. 

I also agree another starter would be good if they can get with out trading the kids and maybe not losing a draft choice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

It's funny-- every response made sense and was informative except for Alibiike. That proves we are onto something. THe dude has never made sense.

I know this is redundant but Mr. Biike... in your post you said that the BP is great "except for a closer" that is why I recommended signing Soriano and not ummm let's say Coco Crisp. Also, I knew I'd get someone chiding in about "it's all about the SP" I get that, but it appears this is as far the Sox will go for the bridge year. There won't be a Felix trade. Therefore, making the pen lights out may be an option. The strategy worked for the O's last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Soriano??? I'm trying to figure out why no one has signed him to a long term deal yet. 3teams in 3years and each year a new team?

id like him here as I also like the idea of options in the BP. I do not like one closer. When Paps and Bard were the guys it was a good feeling that Bard could step in on that occasion when Paps had gone 2 or 3 days in a row. Having Bailey and Soriano as well as Bard band Aceves would fix a lot of what was wrong with the BP last year. 

I also agree another starter would be good if they can get with out trading the kids and maybe not losing a draft choice.

[/QUOTE]

He pitched for the Yanks for the past 2 years

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's funny-- every response made sense and was informative except for Alibiike. That proves we are onto something. THe dude has never made sense.

I know this is redundant but Mr. Biike... in your post you said that the BP is great "except for a closer" that is why I recommended signing Soriano and not ummm let's say Coco Crisp. Also, I knew I'd get someone chiding in about "it's all about the SP" I get that, but it appears this is as far the Sox will go for the bridge year. There won't be a Felix trade. Therefore, making the pen lights out may be an option. The strategy worked for the O's last year.

[/QUOTE]

right, we will not be able to upgrade our SP without giving an arm and a leg this offseason.. so the next best thing is to shorten the game with a lights out BP. like you said, it worked for the O's, they just kept the game close and handed it to their BP.. thats why they won so many 1 run games.

@ the people who say our BP is not good: the overall stats of last season for the BP are not good. but there are a number of reasons for that. if you WATCHED the games last season you would know that for most of mid-season our BP was the BEST in the MLB. they just got off to a horrid start and a sluggish end. after the mega-deal EVERYONE ON THE TEAM stunk can't hold it over JUST them..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Soriano is not a good guy.

The Sox are only signing "good guys" - becuase of the clubhouse debacle last season.

Highly doubtful that they will sign him unless it is an incredible bargain for 1 year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

right, we will not be able to upgrade our SP without giving an arm and a leg this offseason.. so the next best thing is to shorten the game with a lights out BP. like you said, it worked for the O's, they just kept the game close and handed it to their BP.. thats why they won so many 1 run games.

@ the people who say our BP is not good: the overall stats of last season for the BP are not good. but there are a number of reasons for that. if you WATCHED the games last season you would know that for most of mid-season our BP was the BEST in the MLB. they just got off to a horrid start and a sluggish end. after the mega-deal EVERYONE ON THE TEAM stunk can't hold it over JUST them..

[/QUOTE]

So....what you're saying is that they had a bad start....a bad ending....but a good middle and that makes them 'one of the deepest in the league??"  Gotcha....makes perfect sense.....  In 2011 the Sox had a great middle of the season too.....how'd that work out for them????

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So....what you're saying is that they had a bad start....a bad ending....but a good middle and that makes them 'one of the deepest in the league??"  Gotcha....makes perfect sense.....  In 2011 the Sox had a great middle of the season too.....how'd that work out for them????

[/QUOTE]

no, it just means they can be one of the best BEFORE all these additions. if you add in Bard, Uehara and another top BP arm (soriano/hanrahan) we will be one of the best and deepest BP in the league (and thats not even including the possibilities of Rich Hill and Atch returning.........)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

PLease explain HOW we have one of the strongest pens and where you got this information from??  We had one of the worst BP ERA's last season and were 3rd in blown saves....with the same BP......  Really....please explain......

[/QUOTE]

King, 

We at times had a very good bullpen last year but with a starting staff that can barely get to the fifth inning or less the bullpen became over worked and fell apart. Aceves, although a very good middle relief/starter is good at being a rare find because of his flexibility but he like others became tired of Bobby V and became another malcontent. With Farrel as the new manager maybe Aceves will return to form from 2011. 

Hetch

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Avoid Soriano like the plague! Offer him one year and 3.5 million, to platoon.

[/QUOTE]

LOL