The Strasburg Crime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Strasburg Crime

"It's not just about me, it's not about one player," Strasburg said. "The best thing I can do right now is just move forward and be the best teammate I can.

Yes "teammate", as in "team."  If it is not "about one player" than how in the heck can the Nat's down in the middle of what might be their best season for the next ten years? In ten years Strasburg might not even be in baseball or at the very least an "Ace".  

tp://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120908&content_id=38091642&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Are not the FO in Washington making it about one player? Are they telling the rest of the team "Hey great effort but we are going to terminate the season of your best pitcher. Good luck winning that all too easy medal called the WSC."

How many WSC did the Sox win with Roger Clemens? Tiant?  How many WSC did the Angles win with Nolan Ryan? How about those 1990's Braves with Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine?  Do the Nat's think World Series Championships grow on trees? Not even an World Series appearance is guaranteed to any team not named New York for decades upon decades. 

How about the fans? Thanks for spending all that money, but.....

This is a crime. A crime is being committed to the Nat's players, the fans in Washington, and to all of baseball.

Ten years from now Stras and many thousands of others will recall that summer of 2012, the year we almost won it all; it was as close as we ever got to be champions together.

I might sue.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: The Strasburg Crime

one more reason to be thankful for football season...the idiocy of modern baseball never ceases to amaze me....between pitch counts, whining players, overpaid hacks, and dishonest management, its a wonder that the national pastime isnt somewhere between tennis and swimming in popularity....imagine being a Nationals fan and having to swallow this? How often do they think they will be in a position to win it all? As Burrito/Enchilada said, what kind of message does this send to his teammates?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

one more reason to be thankful for football season...the idiocy of modern baseball never ceases to amaze me....between pitch counts, whining players, overpaid hacks, and dishonest management, its a wonder that the national pastime isnt somewhere between tennis and swimming in popularity....imagine being a Nationals fan and having to swallow this? How often do they think they will be in a position to win it all? As Burrito/Enchilada said, what kind of message does this send to his teammates?

All true, and yes Stras wants to pitch. Nat's may have the best chance to win it all now.... they will regret this most likely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It sends the message that they want him around for many years and actually care about their players. Everyone from doctors, medical staff, and just as Zac pointed out, the history of players who have had TJS, this is the right move...The Nats are going nowhere and will be competing for many years. They have $$$ and some good young players...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

All the more reason to pitch him. Do you think he will take a home town discount when the time comes? I doubt it. 90% of all MLB teams make the WS once every 25 years... if at all.

The Nats are doing a disservice to Stras, the team, and the fans. 

He already has been paid through the nose, he won't be financially ruined if he ends up out of ball tomorow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't disagree with the innings limit.  I just wonder if they could have managed things a little differently to keep open the possibility of him pitching in the postseason.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If winning the World Series is not the organizations main goal than I guess it all makes sense. If the Red Sox ever pulled this the city would be up in arms.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

If winning the World Series is not the organizations main goal than I guess it all makes sense. If the Red Sox ever pulled this the city would be up in arms.

In a way, maybe they did. Could those years of playing for the wild card instead of trying to win the division be considered the same type of "crime"?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

In a way, maybe they did. Could those years of playing for the wild card instead of trying to win the division be considered the same type of "crime"?

[/QUOTE]

We did not shelve a Strasburg type in any of those years..... and yes t he fact Tito and Theo purposely played for the wild card and not the division was a crime, a misdemeanor in comparrison however.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I don't disagree with the innings limit.  I just wonder if they could have managed things a little differently to keep open the possibility of him pitching in the postseason.

fair point nut

[/QUOTE]

Like create a set of Rulz for him?

I won't go into Joba, since no one, even on the NYY, knew what they were.

But Hughes was sent out over and over in 2010 for no useful purpose.

No one knows how those two would've turned out under different circumstances, but I'd bet there are a lot of people in the EE that would've shut both down in hindsight.

Past that, you have to take a long-term perspective.  It's not like you're in the WS, and now is the time to throw caution to the wind.  Suppose the Nats get knocked out in the ALDS?  Then you're risking the next four years for nothing.

And it isn't like replacing him is an automatic loss.    Jackson's ERA is 0.47 lower, and the Whip almost the same.  Conversely speaking, if you win Jackson's game 8-4 instead of 8-3, what have you accomplished by risking his arm?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm really on the fence with this one, B. On one hand I agree with you that sitting Straburg out isn't fair to his team mates or Nationals fans. On the other, I can understand why management is trying to safegaurd Strasburg's future and wants to protect their long term investment. It's a tough call either way. Glad I don't have to make it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

By all accounts he still wants to pitch. I would shut him down to BP until the play-offs and then I would let him pitch. It should be his choice.

Imagine if more sissy heads prevailed and they did not let Pedro pitch long relief in that icy cold play-off game in Cleveland. Heroric perfromance that helped us to get one step closer to the Series.... which we did not get to... but that isn't the point. lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

*meant to say slow him down to just bullpen sessions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Somewhat ironically, or appropriately, the Nats pitching coach McCatty was part of the 1980's A's pitching staff that was ruined by Billy Martin pitching their arms off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Wood, Dean, Tiant, and Tanana might not consider it a crime but common sense.

Luckily athletes aren't being totally abused by their teams anymore the way Bill Walton was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should have sat him for a month, or skipped a start 5-6 times  over this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

134 innings and his arm is going to snap like a pretzel?  beyond dumb

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

134 innings and his arm is going to snap like a pretzel?  beyond dumb

Where did you get 134 from?  It's 159.1 following 24 in 2011 and TJ surgery.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

This could be debated forever as both sides of the arguement have valid.  It comes down to what is best for Strasburg.  Management knows that Strasburg cannot exactly be objective and so it is their job to make the right decision.  Pitching him down the stretch and in post-season equals a risk to his career.  Resting him so he is 100% ready for the rest of his career is a sure-bet.  If I were his manager I'd much rather suffer the short term anger from folks about shutting him down than suffer the guilt of injuring his arm to point of requiring more surgery or even ending his career when I had been advised by his surgeon to limit his innings in this first year post-op.  Stras is a young man with hopefully a long career ahead of him.  Jeopardizing that is not fair to him.

The Nationals don't have the best record in baseball because of just one guy.  Yes, he contributed, but that record is a team effort.  They are not going to quit now because Stras is benched.