The Strasburg Crime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Re: The Strasburg Crime

As for the Nationals handling it poorly...agree that it shouldn't have been information given to media..the media was naturally all over this as the Nationals racked up best season in MLB...but as to giving Stras time off from regular starts along the way to prolong his season...I disagree.  Even with their record, they didn't have a runaway lead - it had to be defended all year.  Plus, fooling with the starting rotation leads to problems with timing, rested guys, use of bullpen, etc.  Management played it straight with everybody. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:

134 innings and his arm is going to snap like a pretzel?  beyond dumb

Where did you get 134 from?  It's 159.1 following 24 in 2011 and TJ surgery.

[/QUOTE]

oh sorry, i got it mixed up with Felix D's number....but 159 isnt exactly a huge amount...they could skip and restart him in post season and still be under 200

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As for the Nationals handling it poorly...agree that it shouldn't have been information given to media..the media was naturally all over this as the Nationals racked up best season in MLB...but as to giving Stras time off from regular starts along the way to prolong his season...I disagree.  Even with their record, they didn't have a runaway lead - it had to be defended all year.  Plus, fooling with the starting rotation leads to problems with timing, rested guys, use of bullpen, etc.  Management played it straight with everybody. 

youre right, the nats NEVER SHOULDVE SAID ANYTHING...no one would have noticed he wasnt starting...

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In this era of green and greed...it is nice to see a team that actually cares about a player more than the money he could make them...(even though the decision is probably based on their belief he will be worth more if he can have a longer career because of this move)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Insane OP.  No way does the FO not want to get into the playoffs and maybe even go all the way.  But Strasburg is that rarity, a #1 pick who lived up to the hype, and they are just trying to safeguard his and their future.  Lots of medical opinion supports the FO--more than supports letting him keep going through the end of the season and beyond. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Wow!  Just looked at the Nat's SP nbrs....5 SPs, 140 starts.....out of 140 games so far.  Has that ever happened before?  I'd bet it hasn't....but no more than $100.

I looked it up to confirm my assumption that even though SS is their best pitcher (probably should avoid the abbreviation "SS" for a guy of German ethnicity ;-)) they have a very strong 1-5 SP staff.

I'd shut SS down regardless, but their remaining 4 SPs are probably the strongest top 4 anyway......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is not a crime. It is called having a long term plan in the business world.
    You do not sacrafice your best asset for one season.
    You look at the total payback over time.

Yes he may leave as a FA in the coming years but he will thank them for prolonging his career as well. Yes nothing is a given but when all your medical staff says the best thing to do is shut him down you shut him down.

IMHO they should have only allowed him to pitch 6 innings every game and no more.
    30 starts at 6 innings is 180 innings. And they should have skipped him more during the season to allow him to pitch down the stretch.
    That would have also created less wear on the elbow this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I could care less about NL Baseball, the Nationals or Strasburg.  What infuriates me is that the lazy, whining, fat azz Ortiz bailed on my team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to davetheknave's comment:

There is NO proof that limiting a pitcher's innings will prolong his career. And if the Nationals really felt they had to limit Strasburg, there are better ways they could have gone about it, including not announcing it to the world months ago - for instance, skipping a start or two or coming up with a phantom injury and putting him on the fifteen day DL like the Red Sox sometimes do. The Nationals have mishandled this entire situation.

The doctors had empirical evidence, based on his situation, that it was a near certainty he would break down

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow! Just looked at the Nat's SP nbrs....5 SPs, 140 starts.....out of 140 games so far. Has that ever happened before? I'd bet it hasn't....but no more than $100.

Wang has 4 starts and Lannan has 2. You owe me $100... but no more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Wow! Just looked at the Nat's SP nbrs....5 SPs, 140 starts.....out of 140 games so far. Has that ever happened before? I'd bet it hasn't....but no more than $100.

Wang has 4 starts and Lannan has 2. You owe me $100... but no more.

D'oh!  I read the G column for GS.   Detwiler has 29 G, 26 GS. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

1966 Dodgers:  Koufax, Drysdale, Osteen, Sutton 154 starts out of 162 games.  Moeller the other 8.

1972 White Sox:  Wood, Bradley, Bahnsen, Lemonds 148 starts out of 154.   First 3 130 starts.

1980 As:  Langford, Norris, Keough, McCatty, Kingman 159 starts out of 162.

Honourable mention to the 1904 Red Sox quintet of Young, Dinneen, Tannehill, Gibson and Winter with 157 starts out of 157 with 148 complete games.  No other pitchers all season!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BUMP

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

If winning the World Series is not the organizations main goal than I guess it all makes sense. If the Red Sox ever pulled this the city would be up in arms.

Was it 2008 when the Sox shut down Buccholz and didn't consider him as a post-season option even though he would have been a huge addition?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Maybe it was 2007.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I do not recall. I am still wondering about Stras. In the ned I really just want the Yankmees to lose.