Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move?

What prospects do the redsox have left that the Mariners would be interested in? Don't be surprised if the Yanks go after Felix with Montero being the center piece. We will see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

if you think THEO is SMART, you must be an IDIOT.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Like your moniker says-you're an idiot. Cashman will trade for him when Seattle makes him available.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Theo next move  ?     Convince John Henry not to increase ticket and concession prices for a few years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Trying to get someone to take Lackey or Matsuzaka off his hands.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

"So why should he not consider how he can obtain Feliz Hernandez?"

Who's Feliz Hernandez?  King Felix's brother?

The Yanks are far more likely to land King Felix with their big trade chips (Montero, Banuelos, Bentances [sp?], Brackman) and maybe Nova for a near term fill in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If Theo is like a skilled chess player, I must king of the universe.

I mean, Bobby Fischer wouldn't have traded a rook or a bishop for Wily Mo Pena. And he wouldn't have sacrificed a piece like Masterson for Martinez without first being sure Victor would be a longer term solution... and he wasn't even a short term solution.

I think Theo is more of a poker player than a chess player. In poker you can bluff your way to a win, lose a hand , win a hand, in chess you live and die with your bad decisions. If you make a bad move at the wrong time, the game is over. In short, Theo , like all other GMs is a gambler, because you never really know whether a player will produce or flop....just look at Daisuke,Martinez,Pena,Cameron,Drew, Gagne, Clement, Wells, or Crisp ( and these are just the ones I can think of right now)...none of which has lived up to expectations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Theo is like a corporate executive that keeps allocating capital poorly.  In most corporations, at some point, he would be held responsible, and fired. But the Red Sox majority ownership likes him, so they tolerate his mistakes that have run in to the hundreds of millions of dollars.  This doesn't mean he hasn't done many things right, including the farm system, certain acquisitions (Ortiz) and trades. But his mistakes, when weighted by dollars involved (add Renteria to the list above, and pray that Crawford can handle the pressure) are greater than his achievements.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

And the Yankee list of terrible FA deals is twice as long and twice as costly. All GMs have made many mistakes. The list that you provided above is small compared to the mistakes that others have made. Do you expect Theo to bat 95% when he has inferred that 55% is his aim and is par for the course. Perfection in making FA acquisitions and traded is not obtainable. Only armchair buffoons in internet forums are perfect and that is after 20-20 hindsight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

I can name you double the mistakes that Cashman has made. Why are you people blind to them?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move?:
    [QUOTE]Theo is like a corporate executive that keeps allocating capital poorly.  In most corporations, at some point, he would be held responsible, and fired. But the Red Sox majority ownership likes him, so they tolerate his mistakes that have run in to the hundreds of millions of dollars.  This doesn't mean he hasn't done many things right, including the farm system, certain acquisitions (Ortiz) and trades. But his mistakes, when weighted by dollars involved (add Renteria to the list above, and pray that Crawford can handle the pressure) are greater than his achievements.

• Theo IS a corporate executive;
    • He DOES keep allocating capital - YOU say poorly;
    • You ASSUME he's not being held responsible;
    • YOU say the ownership "likes him" - no tihs, Sherlock...the Sox have delivered historically great results during Theo's tenure as GM....are you suggesting ownership should "hate" him?  Should they hate him between polishing their trophies and spending their profit?;
    • YOU say ownership "tolerates" his mistakes - I say they are stone cold businessmen and will -and should - fire him the instant they think he is no longer able to add value;

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

As much as I would love for theo to get felix hernandez, i just cant see it happening unless the mariners wait till next season to trade him. Sox will hopefully add some pretty good prospects in the draft and they could package ranaudo lets say and reddick  and some of the prospects they get from the draft. Thats the sox only hope. Now in terms of theo's next big move, I saw a post on mlbtr that put forth the idea that the sox could let ortiz got after this year and sign prince fielder to play DH. He would be a great replacement for big papi and would give us an outstanding line up:

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    fielder
    youk
    crawford
    kalish
    salty
    lowrie/iglesias

That would be the best line up in league. I would say its probably not likely we go after fielder but who knows. Maybe his next move will be getting us a catcher who is not a bust. Salty is awful, he is not the answer. The guy is a terrible hitter and an average fielder. We should have got montero when we had the chance or chris ianetta who we could still likely get. Salty is not the answer. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

From Cot's Baseball Contracts

Potential Free Agents for 2012
    The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2011 season.

* - player whose current contract includes 2012 option

Player Club
    First Basemen
    Prince Fielder MIL
    Ross Gload PHI
    Albert Pujols STL

Second Basemen
    Clint Barmes HOU
    Robinson Cano NYY *
    Jamey Carroll LAD
    Luis Castillo NYM
    Aaron Hill TOR *
    Kelly Johnson ARZ
    Brandon Phillips CIN *
    Freddy Sanchez SF

Shortstops
    Yuniesky Betancourt MIL *
    Rafael Furcal LAD
    J.J. Hardy BAL
    John McDonald TOR
    Augie Ojeda ARZ
    Jose Reyes NYM
    Ramon Santiago DET
    Marco Scutaro BOS *
    Jack Wilson SEA

Third Basemen
    Casey Blake LAD *
    Mark DeRosa SF
    Greg Dobbs PHI
    Aramis Ramirez CHC

Catchers
    Jason Kendall KC
    Yadier Molina STL *
    Dioner Navarro LAD
    Jorge Posada NYY
    Ivan Rodriguez WAS
    Brian Schneider PHI
    Kelly Shoppach TB *
    Chris Snyder PIT *

Outfielders
    Bobby Abreu LAA *
    Carlos Beltran NYM
    Milton Bradley SEA
    Mike Cameron BOS
    Ronny Cedeno PIT
    Michael Cuddyer MIN
    Jack Cust SEA
    David DeJesus OAK
    J.D. Drew BOS
    Jeff Francoeur KC *
    Jonny Gomes CIN
    Gabe Gross OAK
    Carlos Guillen DET
    Raul Ibanez PHI
    Conor Jackson OAK
    Jason Kubel MIN
    Ryan Ludwick SD
    Nate McLouth ATL *
    Juan Pierre CWS
    Juan Rivera TOR
    Cody Ross SF
    Grady Sizemore CLE *
    Nick Swisher NYY *
    Josh Willingham WAS

Starting Pitchers
    Mark Buehrle CWS
    Chris Carpenter STL *
    Aaron Cook COL *
    Kyle Davies KC
    Zach Duke ARI
    Edwin Jackson CWS
    Scott Kazmir LAA *
    Paul Maholm PIT
    Jason Marquis WAS
    Scott Olsen PIT *
    Roy Oswalt PHI *
    Oliver Perez NYM
    Joel Pineiro LAA
    Brian Tallet STL
    Tim Wakefield BOS

C.J. Wilson TEX

Relief Pitchers
    Danys Baez PHI
    Matt Belisle COL
    Heath Bell SD
    Rafael Betancourt COL
    Jonathan Broxton LAD
    Tim Byrdak HOU
    Shawn Camp TOR
    Matt Capps MIN
    Todd Coffey MIL
    Clay Condrey MIN
    Francisco Cordero CIN *
    Lance Cormier LAD
    Ryan Franklin STL
    Mike Gonzalez BAL
    John Grabow CHC
    LaTroy Hawkins MIL
    Brad Lidge PHI *
    Scott Linebrink ATL
    Javier Lopez SF
    Ryan Madson PHI
    Damaso Marte NYY *
    Sergio Mitre NYY
    Joe Nathan MIN *
    Jonathan Papelbon BOS
    Chris Ray TEX
    Francisco Rodriguez NYM *
    George Sherrill ATL
    Carlos Silva CHC *
    Jose Valverde DET
    Tyler Walker WAS
    Michael Wuertz OAK
    Joel Zumaya DET

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The truth is that we don't care how good or bad Cashman is...or how many good or bad deals he has made...we are talking about Theo.

In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move?:
    [QUOTE]I can name you double the mistakes that Cashman has made. Why are you people blind to them?
    Posted by ChrisHouse[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I am thinking he'll figure out a way to extend Drew and possibly even Crawford.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I am thinking Theo should add a 30 or 60 day option in his contracts. Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

There is going to come a time - VERY SOON - where some hard decisions will need to be made.  The focus should be on looking to 2012 while also trying to turn around 2011.

So what that means is trading all guys in the last year of the contracts for prospects.  Drew, Ortiz, Cameron, Papelbon, Scutaro, Tek etc......I gotta think we could get a ML ready catcher out of such a trade and then the Salty experiment is ovva.

If you could get a couple of top prospects that the M's really like then perhaps a deal for King F could be worked out. Or perhaps lower level trade for Jonathan Sanchez or someone of that caliber.

Begin the waiver process with Dice K and Lackey and hope someone claims them and a deal could be worked out - like for a B-level prospect plus one year's salary......not sure but dead weight must be cut....

Call up the kids to fill in spots - Iglessias, Kalish, etc.......

And finally, a new manager.  The Anti-Francona.  Someone to light a fire under the guys as they are just too complacent.

For next year, CJ Wilson and Heath Bell should be the major FA targets/priorities.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody will take Lackey or Matsusaka off waivers.

If Theo goes into sell mode, he could deal them and pay a significant part of their salaries and maybe get a good prospect or two. Drew and Scutty could get a couple more. Papelbon and Papi could get a nice prospect or two, since they have just one year left. All together, perhaps they could put together a deal for a guy like Felix (maybe with more added), but that leaves a lot of holes to fill...

C: VTek/Salty/Lavarnway
    1B: Gonzalez
    2B: Pedroia
    3B: Youkilis
    SS: Lowrie/Iglesias
    LF: Crawford/DMac
    CF: Ellsbury
    RF: Kalish/Linares
    DH: Lavarnway/Youk

S1: Hernandez
    S2: Lester
    S3: Beckett
    S4: Buchholtz
    S5: Wakefield/Doubront/Tazawa/Bowden

R1: Bard
    R2: Jenks
    R3: Wheeler
    R4: Aceves
    R5: Reyes
    R6: Atchison/Okajima

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Very well said and put. What a disappointing season. Thanks for letting V Mart go and Adrian Beltre. When is Gonzalez going to tatoo that left field wall. Before or after we loose 20 games.

n Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move?:
    [QUOTE]If Theo is like a skilled chess player, I must king of the universe. I mean, Bobby Fischer wouldn't have traded a rook or a bishop for Wily Mo Pena. And he wouldn't have sacrificed a piece like Masterson for Martinez without first being sure Victor would be a longer term solution... and he wasn't even a short term solution. I think Theo is more of a poker player than a chess player. In poker you can bluff your way to a win, lose a hand , win a hand, in chess you live and die with your bad decisions. If you make a bad move at the wrong time, the game is over. In short, Theo , like all other GMs is a gambler, because you never really know whether a player will produce or flop....just look at Daisuke,Martinez,Pena,Cameron,Drew, Gagne, Clement, Wells, or Crisp ( and these are just the ones I can think of right now)...none of which has lived up to expectations.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think we are in close agreement......But Reyes and Okijima?  Forgettaboutit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was looking at the roster to finish out the year, if all these deals were made, not as longterm players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

Andrewmitch... you are living in a dream world with your trade scenarios. WHo would offer high level prospects for Drew, Ortiz, Scutaro, Cameron or Tek... these are all players at the end of their rope. None of them are worth mid-level, and certainly not high level prospects. There is no way you turn any of these players (Lackey & Dice included) around for King Felix. That is wishful thinking and nothing more.  If you wanna trade for Felix..the price will be at least one accomplished but young major leaguer, and 3 or 4 TOP level prospects. The BoSox are not in a position to do this.