Theo haters may get their wish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Theo haters may get their wish

In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish:
    [QUOTE]what dannyc said and a few others said are 100% correct. Theo is young and looking for a legacy - getting stiff off his beantown legend is not the end and be all imo...i bet this story has serious legs..especially if the sox win it again...the cubbies would give him the moon and generate serious interest in the windy city
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Seriously? Bringing Boston its first World Series championship in 86 years wouldn't give him a legacy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]This Theo bashing drives me crazy.  The whole argument against him is that every FA signing hasn't been perfect.  The team doesn't win a championship for 86 years, but you believe that the GM who has won two of them in the past 7 years is crap.  Such perspective blames a leader for every problem, but does not give him any credit for the successes.  The Sox have won at least 90 games almost every year he has been here, have always been a least .500, and they have made the playoffs for all but two seasons.  How about the Ortiz signing?  Say what you want about Drew, but overall numbers put him within the top 5 right fielders over the time he has been with us, not to mention he had some key moments in the 2007 playoffs.  He is also a very good fielder who gets perfect jumps on balls, and he was the only decent replacement of Trot Nixon at the time. What some people don't understand is that nothing is guarenteed in baseball.  Most of the time, the top free agents are 30 years old or older, which means that they are already on the down-slope of their prime or past it.  Much of the money that they get is for showing that they already have been a successful player; they are not prospects.  You either overpay for just about any top free agent that you get, or you simply don't sign any free agents.  Yes, what seems like a good signing at the time may not end up working out, but that's baseball.  Now let's look at development... Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Papelbon, Buchholz, Bard, and (I believe) Youkilis were all drafted by Theo.  Let's think about how great of a core these players are before we start trashing him.  Think of some non-moves - letting Pedro go at the right time, finally getting rid of Manny before the awful years and steroid scandal, not trading Lester for Santana... to name a few.  How about the Curt Schilling trade during Thanksgiving?  Could anyone else have pulled that off?  The guy made a successful pitch for joining the team at the dinner table during a holiday!  He drafted Hanley Ramirez, which led to Beckett and Lowell.  Some bullpens haven't been good, but two great patched together bullpens won the Sox two rings, and this year's has been doing quite well.  You blame Theo for 4 bad months of Crawford, but you don't thank him for 4 great months of Gonzalez (the prospects needed to get him? ... drafted and developed under Theo).  Theo wanted Gonzalez before he even played a major league game.  He has also wanted Salty for a few years, and people were quick to trash him (as they were quick to trash Pedey his first couple months), but now he has been a solid, young catcher.  Then in the same posting thread, people like to say how good of a job Cashman has done.  Yeah, the Yankees haven't had any free agent busts.. right?  There's GMs out there who have PERFECT track records.. right? One last thing... how many Super Bowls have the Pats won without Pioli?
    Posted by rharts9[/QUOTE]

This is just a great post. 

Of course, you understand that there's way too much logic in it for the "nattering nabobs of negativity" to pay it any mind, don't you? 

Keep thinking that way.  The forum needs more positive thinking and common sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

I like Theo a lot and don't want him to go. The good news is that we can always replace him with Cherington.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

Some of the people that post on this board are so ignorant that my soul hurts a little to realize they exist.  Theo Epstein is one of the most important figures in Red Sox history.  Nomar Trade.  Case closed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : sounds like you want him out of here as much as i do. we're just saying it differently. goodbye theo!
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

You appear to be blissfully unaware that the premise of this thread is that the Cubs would go after Theo to fix their franchise, suggesting that elsewhere he has a lot of credibility as a GM.  Which is why people like me think he has done a pretty good job.  It's one thing to disagree with a decision here and there and another to claim at the top of your OTFB voice that he is worthless.  He is a key player in a very well run business.  Your assertion of his ineptitude is just not credible. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"in sports you measure success by rings"

...so Yastrzemski and Ted Williams were what? Failures?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]"in sports you measure success by rings" ...so Yastrzemski and Ted Williams were what? Failures?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Ted W is the greatest hitter of all time and Yaz was my childhood idol and being in the stands on Yaz day is still a highlight for me, so indivdually of course they werent failures, they are HOFers, but the teams they played on and the organizations were indeed failures....thats the way Sports works....
    the 2007 Patriots were failures.....if your goal and aim is to in

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : other than theo being a 'tool,' i wonder what tools theo employed for his FA signings? i'm guessing the only tool he used was the back of a baseball card.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Yup, two world championships later, but whatever he has done has worked, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : I was saying what Sox should offer, not what Cubs would do.  Cubs don't have any brains in their front office: they signed Milton Bradley, Soriano, Zambrano, Fukedome to huge contracts and haven't won since 1908.  They might be dumb enough to do it.  And, I don't want Theo to leave.  He has helped the Sox win two WS and be good every year.  
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

The Cubs were dumb enough to do those things for two main reasons:

1. The Cubs were in the process of being sold and in so doing, they re-signed the players that got them to the playoffs in 2007 and 2008, such that the new ownership group would see the supposed pieces to the puzzle are in place.

2. Jim Hendry was sold on Bradley and Fukudome, and thus two of the reasons why he was fired.

3. They are looking for a new GM so the miskakes you point out won't happen again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If you look at the following, Theo is one of the top respected and best GM's in baseball for the reasons below:

1. Two world championships since 2004.
    2. Look at the lineage of guys that have worked under him: Jed Hoyer, Josh Byrnes,  Ben Cherington

3. Look at his awards:
    In September 2009, Epstein was named Sporting News Executive of the Decade
    In December 2009, Sports Illustrated named him as number 3 on its list of the Top 10 GMs/Executives of the Decade (in all sports).

And there are people out here bashing him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]2 WS championships 3 ALCS 6 playoffs 8 years yeah, lets get rid of this dog.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Actually Spaceman you could up that to 4 ALCS and not be wrong...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Actually Spaceman you could up that to 4 ALCS and not be wrong...
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Oh yeah.  good point, i was starting from tito's entree.  So lets make that:  2 WS championships, 4 ALCS, 7 post-seasons, 9 years.  Even better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

What about the year that Theo dressed in a gorilla suit and walked out on the Sox due to contract worth? Does that count too?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

[QUOTE]Um, Scott Pioli did go to The Chiefs from the Pats. Somehow they survived pretty well. Please let the Cubbies take this overblown, overrated stat geek from Boston!
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

all that and two WS rings

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]What about the year that Theo dressed in a gorilla suit and walked out on the Sox due to contract worth? Does that count too?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

good point danny-c.  lets strike one of those non-playoff years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Seriously? Bringing Boston its first World Series championship in 86 years wouldn't give him a legacy?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

he is a legend here - but if were to give the cubs a WSC, then wouldnt he be the best ever??? Why wouldnt he go for that? He has already won here...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : he is a legend here - but if were to give the cubs a WSC, then wouldnt he be the best ever??? Why wouldnt he go for that? He has already won here...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you about this.  I posted something similar that if Theo went to Chcago and they also won the World Series it would be quite an accomplishment for him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : He also signed Ortiz, Gonzalez, Aceves, Schilling, Salty, and others I'm probably forgetting. That's the thing about signings ... some work out, others not so much. I was thrilled when they signed Crawford, and I'm not ready to bury him yet. But you didn't answer my question: How do you explain this fantastic eight-year run, which didn't happen until Theo became GM and Tito became manager?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Lloyd,

Along with others, don't bother imparting your point of view on Yazzer. He's so fixed on his hatred of Theo, no matter what opinion or facts you give for all of the good signings, players who have come up through the minors under theo's watch, folks like Yazzer just can see the light.

They say "love is blind". In this case hatred is blind.

Hetchinspete.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from speakertim. Show speakertim's posts

fenwayjackfenwayjack, that is the dumbest post yet, and that is saying something here. And you are an anti semite, go crawl b...

Yell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wishful thinking, but let's hope the king of paying for career years goes to Cubs with a smaller budget.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd advise Theo to take the job of Team President in Chicago... he can be his own boss and perhaps best be remembered for bringing long WSC droughts in two cities to an end... that would be pretty awesome. Might even get him into the HOF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

On the funny side the Red Sox should only give Theo permission to go if the Cubs agree to take the contracts of Crawford and Lackey along with Theo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Theo won't pay for his worst contract bust in history mitake, maybe Cubs will. Good idea, Burrito, and that would allow new Sox gm to pay Boras and Ellsbury 150M. Now, Ellsbury is down to last year or two.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I'd advise Theo to take the job of Team President in Chicago... he can be his own boss and perhaps best be remembered for bringing long WSC droughts in two cities to an end... that would be pretty awesome. Might even get him into the HOF.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Agreed; and as reported by Buster Olney, Cubs intend to go hard after him, Henry permission notwithstanding.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Or in a real twist, Theo takes the job and inks Elles as a free agent...