Theo, try this trade for David Wright?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Theo, try this trade for David Wright?

In Response to Re: Theo, try this trade for David Wright?:
    [QUOTE]wow, i think you need to re-check Lowell's and Beckett's stats in 2006 - they were both good Unless you don't like 285/20/80 whilst playing every day at 3b; and a good defensive 3b too (for the record, i haven't seen a worse defensive season outside of Kevin Millar, Renteria, Lugo, and old time friend Rey Quinones) or a 16 game winner whilst logging in over 200 IP whilst making a fraction of the $ nothing compares to CC so don't try
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

You know me A.M., I always like trying! I remember 2006, and remember all the yelling about Beckett's "gopher balls". RSN was up in arms that he was a bust, and not living up to his contract. Those numbers don't tell it all, 2006 was not reall a very good year by Beckett. The W/L record doesn't tell the story, didn't he give up something like 30+ HR that year? His "failure to live up to his contract" was one of the big complaints that year as I recall. Injuries to the staff led the way, but Beckett was in there, "he couldn't handle Boston...." etc. I'll admit that the numbers you projected from Lowell are better than I recalled, but my point remains. He was at .320 with 120 RBI in 2007. And then Beckett was out of sight in 07. My POINT is, the upsurge between seasons. Why is it that CC is incapable of that and Mike Lowell was? I'll give you a reason, and it's real simple: expectations. Mike Lowell came in as a throw in to the Beckett deal, under the radar. No one expected much from him beyond the ordinary. Since he "overperformed" he's a hero. Everyone in RSN expected Crawford to be the next Rickey Henderson X2, and NO ONE could live up to what these fans expect, especially at that dollar amount. Money? Who said anything about money? I'm not talking about how much they're paid, I'm talking about performance on the field. No matter how you cut it, it's just human nature to come in and fall down on your first attempt in a place like Boston when you have an understated personality like Crawford. A good percentage of free agents that come here do. Add in that he was a high profile FA, and that everyone was picking this team to win 161 games, and you get what we got. CC is a quiet, softspoken guy that no doubt feels a lot of pressure ot live up to a contract that no one could ever live up to. His head got messed up, and that's a side effect of his personality. He'll adjust. What he needs to do is what I said back in May. Screw the media, screw the expectations, just go play baseball and be Carl Crawford. For whatever reason, he couldn't do that this season and lost confidence. But the bigger part of me believes he will return to form next year if he's healthy. All I'm asking is that people get off his back and let him do whatever he needs to do to get back on track. This attitued that "Carl Crawford will be the most hated man in Boston next season" does exactly what for the team? All that's going to do is make the problem worse. And again, Granderson hit like .255 his first year in NY, just try to pry him out of there now.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Theo, try this trade for David Wright?:
    [QUOTE]#1 Mets get Lackey, Lowrie or Middlebrooks and either Kalish or Reddick to help lower there team payroll and still be competitive.  As much as they can anyway in the tough situation they are in.  We also offer to pay Half of John's remaining salary "25 mil" over the next three years which is approx. 8.5mil each year.  #2 Sox get David Wright, his contract for 2012 is I believe 15mil and 16mil in 2013 with a buyout option.  So the Sox in this deal basically increase salary by 8.5 mil after paying for Lackey. #3 We let David go, which helps balance the money spent on the Lackey/Wright deal. #4 We now offer Weiland or a kid like Renaudo along with Youk to the Brewers for Shaun Marcum.   Youk replaces Fielder and we get our starting pitcher with Wright taking over 3B. #5 Sign Mike Cuddyer to play RF #6 Sign Y. Molina New lineup: Ellsbury CF Pedroia 2B Crawford LF Gonzales 1B Wright 3B Cuddyer RF Lavarnway DH Y. Molina C, Salty Scutaro SS - Or Aviles SS and Iglesias if we want to save on Scuters salary Beckett Lester Buchholz Marcum Bedard or another? Aceves
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE] THAT MIGHT BE A GOOD START !!!  YOU LOOK LIKE YOU COULD TAKE THEO'S JOB !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Two years of Kevin Youkilis at $25 million for one year of Shaun Marcum at about $6 million would make sense if only the money would balance out. Despite Prince Fielder's likely departure, I'm not convinced the Brewers would want to dilute the starting rotation for a more expensive firstbaseman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Two years of Kevin Youkilis at $25 million for one year of Shaun Marcum at about $6 million would make sense if only the money would balance out. Despite Prince Fielder's likely departure, I'm not convinced the Brewers would want to dilute the starting rotation for a more expensive firstbaseman.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Especially with Mat Gamel still hanging around...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Absurd.

Larry and John, please get rid of InEpstein.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Two years of Kevin Youkilis at $25 million for one year of Shaun Marcum at about $6 million would make sense if only the money would balance out. Despite Prince Fielder's likely departure, I'm not convinced the Brewers would want to dilute the starting rotation for a more expensive firstbaseman.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Just thoughts hill, now might be the best time to deal with teams like the Mets, Dodgers etc. who need to dump payroll.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hyperRevue. Show hyperRevue's posts

Ummm, Josh Beckett in 2006? 200 innings and 16 wins, sure. Can you say cherry picking stats? How about his 1.3 WHIP, an ERA over 5 and 36 (!) Homeruns given up. 

Beckett did not have a good first year in Boston. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Interesting scenarios, Youk back at first is a great idea, hardly any diving damage there compared to 3rd base ... Youk would thrive again ... and he isn't going to get that chance on the Sox.  Trading him now to a team needing a 1st baseman makes all the sense in the world.    Who do the Cards have that we need (assuming Pujols walks)?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeNeedaManager. Show WeNeedaManager's posts

Why on God's earth would Sox want David Wright?  Here is a much more simple idea:  Sign free agent Edwin Encarnacion (Toronto).  Put Youk in right or DH.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Youk in right? Haha....wait you're serious?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Reyes leaves the mets, and they go into rebuild mode, they may like Iglesias.

Our best bet to get Wright is this:

Trade Youk for prospects.

Flip prospects and Lowrie, Iglesias, Reddick, Lackey and Ranaudo
    for
    Wright, Santana, and JBay

The same way we got Beckett by taking on Lowell's deal, we can pry Wright and Santana from the Mets by taking JBay back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Absurd. Santana's contract is a joke. Better to stick with Lackey's lower cost contract, on the heels of one poor season and one pitiful season. 

Wright for Youk is simply adding a problem. Middlebrooks is a likely adequate 3B by 2013, when Youk goes off books. Why add massive expense for a player who is not a superstar at all.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]If Reyes leaves the mets, and they go into rebuild mode, they may like Iglesias. Our best bet to get Wright is this: Trade Youk for prospects. Flip prospects and Lowrie, Iglesias, Reddick, Lackey and Ranaudo for Wright, Santana, and JBay The same way we got Beckett by taking on Lowell's deal, we can pry Wright and Santana from the Mets by taking JBay back.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon, with all due respect I don't see our management taking on Bay or Santana's contract just to get rid of Lackey and get Wright.  Why flip Youk for prospects then give all our best ones away on two horrible contracts in Bay and Santana?  Youk and a couple decent pitching prospects could pull Marcum away from the Brewers.  Fielder will be a huge hole to fill and I doubt they pay for any of the top FA's to take his place. 

If it was Lackey, Lowrie or Aviles, Middlebrooks and Renado or Weiland plus cash for Wright I would do it and the Mets would be smart to look at it.  Lackey, regardless of the year he had is a pitcher who can go out there every five Days, with Santana that may never happen again.  The Mets won't get any team in baseball to take Santana and Bay off there hands and gain a ton of prospects for Wright. 

That would be the robbery of the century!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugmenotscreen. Show bugmenotscreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo, try this trade for David Wright? : moon, with all due respect I don't see our management taking on Bay or Santana's contract just to get rid of Lackey and get Wright.  Why flip Youk for prospects then give all our best ones away on two horrible contracts in Bay and Santana?  Youk and a couple decent pitching prospects could pull Marcum away from the Brewers.  Fielder will be a huge hole to fill and I doubt they pay for any of the top FA's to take his place.  If it was Lackey, Lowrie or Aviles, Middlebrooks and Renado or Weiland plus cash for Wright I would do it and the Mets would be smart to look at it.  Lackey, regardless of the year he had is a pitcher who can go out there every five Days, with Santana that may never happen again.  The Mets won't get any team in baseball to take Santana and Bay off there hands and gain a ton of prospects for Wright.  That would be the robbery of the century!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Milwaukee *might* be interested in Youk, but his stock is running low right now too, with all of the talk about him being a clubhouse detriment and his established record of being a hot head.  I think he could be moved (and needs to be) but it's going to take a lot more than just Youk to get anything of value in return.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Absurd. Santana's contract is a joke. Better to stick with Lackey's lower cost contract, on the heels of one poor season and one pitiful season.  Wright for Youk is simply adding a problem. Middlebrooks is a likely adequate 3B by 2013, when Youk goes off books. Why add massive expense for a player who is not a superstar at all.  
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Santana's due $55M/2 (counting his buy out for 2014)
    Bay is due $35M/2 (counting his buyout)
    Wright is due $15M/1 (expiring just in time for us to get 2 picks and Middlebrooks into the mix.)

Lackey is due $46M/3
    I'd much rather have Santana for $55M/2 than Lackey for $46M/3, but I can see that taking on JBay would be too much.

My original idea was Crawford and Lackey for Santana, Wright and JBay.

Santana is only 32. He had 199 IP this year and a 2.98 in the NL.
    His 3 years in NY?
    200 IP  2.85  (1.175 WHIP)
    He's light years better than Lackey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo, try this trade for David Wright? : Santana's due $55M/2 (counting his buy out for 2014) Bay is due $35M/2 (counting his buyout) Wright is due $15M/1 (expiring just in time for us to get 2 picks and Middlebrooks into the mix.) Lackey is due $46M/3 I'd much rather have Santana for $55M/2 than Lackey for $46M/3, but I can see that taking on JBay would be too much. My original idea was Crawford and Lackey for Santana, Wright and JBay. Santana is only 32. He had 199 IP this year and a 2.98 in the NL. His 3 years in NY? 200 IP  2.85  (1.175 WHIP) He's light years better than Lackey.

moon,

I definitely agree having Santana over lackey would not only help our clubhouse but our entire staff but can he pitch well again?  Its a risk I would take but not to take on Bays contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorieger. Show scorieger's posts

David Wright is a terribly overrated player.  His glove is average at best, his arm is a disaster, and he's too streaky.  He'll get a bunch of hits and RBIs over a two week period and disappear for a month.  He's soft, and was a major part of his own team's historic collapse.  Lack, Lowrie, Middlebrooks/Kalish would not do it, nor would the Mets take 1/2 of Lack's salary - thet're trying to go around 100 mil next year.  BTW, why would anyone want Lackey and/or Lowrie (who can't stay on the field for two weeks straight)? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo, try this trade for David Wright? : The Mets won't be in any position to demand anyone takes Bay. 

But a team would take Lackey? This is how a trade works; To get something, you have to give up something the other team wants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Right. Nobody wants Lackey-nobody wants JBay. Sounds the makings for a match made in heaven.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Right. Nobody wants Lackey-nobody wants JBay. Sounds the makings for a match made in heaven.

It never hurts to kick the tires with a struggling team. Wright has had problems offensively and at 3B so you never know what the Mets may be willing to do to lower the 15mil they owe him this season.  If they could get Lackey at around 8mil and players like Middlbrooks, Aviles, Lowrie, Rediick or Kalish, Renaudo or Weland in return they should at least give it some thought.

Our biggest challenges will be dumping Lackey, then sign or trade for a strong guy like Marcum to ancor the middle of our rotation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Just think what our team might have looked like if Theo grabbed Napoli one of the many times he was available instead of Victor, resigned Beltre and picked up Berkman instead of Crawford?  The hard part was predicting Youks season?  I think 3B will end his career a lot quicker than we think.  We may even still have Masterson.

Player BA  HR RBI OPS

Beltre  296  32 105 892  
    Youk   258  17  80  833

Napoli  320  30  75 1046
    Salty   235  16  56  730

Ellsbury CF
    Pede 2B
    Adrian 1B - 6.3mil
    Beltre 3B - 14mil
    Ortiz DH
    Reddick? LF
    Berkman RF - 8mil
    Napoli C - 5.8mil
    Scuter SS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Santana's due $55M/2

Typical of you to even post this. Absurd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Santana's due $55M/2 Typical of you to even post this. Absurd.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

If you were the Mets who would you rather want to risk your money on?  Lackey or Santana who was one of, if not the best pitchers in baseball before he went down.