Theo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Theo

He brought us pride and two titles, he knew his stuff, very sorry he's gone.

Masterstrokes in the early days: Papi, Scilling Foulke and dumping Nomar put us on the road to glory

His last moves really baffle me as Lackey and Crawford were horrible acquisitions. Crawford we paid twice his worth.

Maybe knowing he was leaving, he did these moves to avenge Lucchino.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Theo

Is this a new subject open for fresh discussion? Wonderful

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He was good w/ Player Development to a degree

He made some great moves early is his tenure

But then he lost his way - bad free agent signings plus getting fixated on certain players to target for acquisition

2004 was Duke's team

2007 was Theo's but 2007 was driven more by money (eg Dice K's posting fee) than wise moves (ie Gange, Drew).......

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's looking like acquiring Aviles was a pretty good move late in Theo's Red Sox career.

Look, the guy did good. He had the good fortune of John Henry's money to work with, he's neither a genius or a baffoon.

For a young guy, he made some decent moves, some of the later moves might have been called "genius" if the team won something.

The new Red Sox history ( post 2004) will always categorize people as "hero" or "villain" depending on results. After 2004 the whole of the entity known as "Red Sox Nation"...which is mostly "Bandwagon Nation"...loved Manny Ramirez , Terry Francona, Epstein, Varitek, Schilling etc. Hell, "Bandwagon Nation" even forgave Bill Buckner...not that it was justified, but the whole Red Sox world was in such a lovey-dovey mood...they probably would have forgave anybody!

The problem is over reaction. We have been trained by media types to love them to death if we win...but use them as scapegoats if we lose. They are just men doing a job, sometimes they have a bad day...you know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Theo:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo : Do the Red Sox win in 2007 if Drew doesn't hit a grand slam in the ALCS against the Indians? Just wondering...
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that everything would have been exactly the same, up to the point when J.D. hit his slam. If he wasn't there then it all changes, and any number of scenarios come into play.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo : Who would you have signed instead of Drew?

I would have signed Doctor Drew.

At least he would KNOW if he was really hurt and unable to play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo : Schilling Foulke Ortiz Bellhorn Mueller Millar Roberts Cabrera Do this, add up the WAR for the 2004 Theo players and the WAR for the 2004 non Theo players. Tell me how it comes out. Would be curious about that 

Why don't you do it?  Why ask someone else to prove YOUR point?

I could probably name 2 bad FA signings for every 1

But when you do your exercise, along with WAR why don't  you add $'s too?  $'s = Opportunity Cost

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo : Do the Red Sox win in 2007 if Drew doesn't hit a grand slam in the ALCS against the Indians? Just wondering...

Right, so with the final score of that game 11-2, with the greatest post season pitcher in history on the mound, at home in Fenway we don't win without Drew.  And yes, it is also true that during the course of a 5 year time period a player's worth can be measured in a single at bat..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Theo Epstein was a competent Boston general manager who fell victim to the curse of the big budget, which magnifies mistakes in personnel decisions.

The Red Sox owners and Epstein all recognized the mistakes and decided to move on.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo : Who would you have signed instead of Drew? He had a decent regular season and in the postseason had 16 hits 11 RBI in 14 games....so hard to call that a mistake signing by Theo in relation to the 2007 title

You're absolutly right, the Sox wouldn't have been able to sign anyone of value with Drew's 14 million. The Sox would have played with no RF, cause if Theo couldn't have J.D. then no substitute would suffice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I already have the complete list in MS Excel and it does not look good

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo :    You're absolutly right, the Sox wouldn't have been able to sign anyone of value with Drew's 14 million. The Sox would have played with no RF, cause if Theo couldn't have J.D. then no substitute would suffice.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

LOL

that is actually how Theo gets - he gets these man-crushes on guys and it's either him or nothing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo :  I would have signed Doctor Drew. At least he would KNOW if he was really hurt and unable to play.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!!!!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I didn't realize that the only way to fill a hole on the team was to sign a Free Agent.  Got it.  It all makes sense now. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo : I didn't say the Sox would not have been able to sign anyone. It sounds like you are getting defensive. I asked who you would have signed. I asked you a question. This was your response. I think it says a lot

I'm not defensive, but I also don't have a degree in Quantum Mechanics, because the question you ask has an almost infinite amount of possibilities. I really don't have the time to explore all of the transactions, in 07,. It doesn't neccaserily be a RF, they could have signed any number of mid-level replacements and used the extra money to sign a pitcher, etc etc I could go and on.