They signed Dempster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Re: They signed Dempster

another bum and bummer for fans

reckless spending on lousey players

coulda signed Hamilton head case...but nope

benji defines the word clueless and mediocrity

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know....I really don't see a big deal with the issue.There is nothing great out there.  It's a short deal and not a ton of money.  He is usually good for 200 innings and is a solid #3 pitcher.  A rotation of Lester, Buc, Dempster, Lackey and Dubront with Morales or Aceves doing spot starting could be a lot worse.  In fact..other than Toronto and Detroit...I would take that rotation over any rotation in the East and Central.  We still have all of our draft picks and a solid lineup.  I would obviously love an Ace.....but realistically...MOST TEAMS DO NOT HAVE A REAL ACE!!!  I think if they would go out and get a REAL closer then we may be able to compete.  Defense is a lot better, pitching should be better and if healthy the lineup will produce....

[/QUOTE]

we have plenty of closers in the BP. if bailey can't do it we have bard (pending he has a revival), tazawa, morales, aceves, melancon and even miller (who can get it up there in the 97-98 range).

[/QUOTE]

Give the pompoms a break will you? If Bailey does not come through we have........Bard? HAHAHAHA. He sure worked out well last year. So did Melancon and Aceves. Miller had an ERA of 4.64 after July 1 after a previous career that could euphemistically be described as "lackluster". Can you say "flash in the pan"?. Tazawa has no experience closing, and Morales has  a history of control problems. The bottom line is that our pitching staff is exactly as good as they performed last year when they finished 27th of the 30 ML teams. They STINK, overall. Its not even debatable. Only true bonnetheads can be deluded into believing that they are even an average staff. They need help; lots of it. And DUMPSTER is not the guy to provide that help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i wwould have been much happier with sanhcez

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez is not worth the money he is going to get. Why hire anyone at all? If there is no one worth hiring, why waste team resources? Better to give Morales or Aceves a shot at it and do even deeper and cheaper dumpster diving to fill in the depth we will need. DeLaRosa may work out too, and he is already on the roster. Next year they need to find two excellent pitchers and pay for them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't know....I really don't see a big deal with the issue.There is nothing great out there.  It's a short deal and not a ton of money.  He is usually good for 200 innings and is a solid #3 pitcher.  A rotation of Lester, Buc, Dempster, Lackey and Dubront with Morales or Aceves doing spot starting could be a lot worse.  In fact..other than Toronto and Detroit...I would take that rotation over any rotation in the East and Central.  We still have all of our draft picks and a solid lineup.  I would obviously love an Ace.....but realistically...MOST TEAMS DO NOT HAVE A REAL ACE!!!  I think if they would go out and get a REAL closer then we may be able to compete.  Defense is a lot better, pitching should be better and if healthy the lineup will produce....

[/QUOTE]

we have plenty of closers in the BP. if bailey can't do it we have bard (pending he has a revival), tazawa, morales, aceves, melancon and even miller (who can get it up there in the 97-98 range).

[/QUOTE]

Give the pompoms a break will you? If Bailey does not come through we have........Bard? HAHAHAHA. He sure worked out well last year. So did Melancon and Aceves. Miller had an ERA of 4.64 after July 1 after a previous career that could euphemistically be described as "lackluster". Can you say "flash in the pan"?. Tazawa has no experience closing, and Morales has  a history of control problems. The bottom line is that our pitching staff is exactly as good as they performed last year when they finished 27th of the 30 ML teams. They STINK, overall. Its not even debatable. Only true bonnetheads can be deluded into believing that they are even an average staff. They need help; lots of it. And DUMPSTER is not the guy to provide that help.

[/QUOTE]

you need a hankey to wipe your tear-filled eyes?? and despite your ignorant, narrow view on our staff we have options for the closer role.

bard (yes bard) with newly fixed mechanics (which were flawed from trying to start) and (hopfully) regained FB speed could finally assume the role he was groomed to fill.

Aceves isn't the best closer but he has proved he can close if he needs to.

Melancon closed in houston with much success and after a rough start finished strong. he is another option that COULD assume the role.

Miller had a rocky reputation before he became a BP arm and has thrived in the role. your seriously going to try to throw ERA at me?? seriously? how weak is your argument that not only do you throw ERA at me but ERA from the second half FOR A RELIEVER. keep pickin them cherries lol. ERA is less accurate the less innings you use to calculate. to try to value a reliever using ERA let along second half ERA is beyond stupid.

Morales would best be served as a starter/LR but don't forget he was our setup man for much of the season before being moved to LR/spot start duty. definitely an option to assume the role if bailey doesn't work out.

your argument against Tazawa has to be the worst of them all....he has no experience?? where do closers come from then? do they grow on some magical tree where they are granted "experience"? becuase i was taught they pitch in the BP (like junichi has done much with lots of success) and work their way up. tazawa has the best stuff of any reliever on our staff (and most of our starters too).

keep grasping at air for reasons to discredit the sox staff. you might find a valid reason eventually.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you need a hankey to wipe your tear-filled eyes?? and despite your ignorant, narrow view on our staff we have options for the closer role.

bard (yes bard) with newly fixed mechanics (which were flawed from trying to start) and (hopfully) regained FB speed could finally assume the role he was groomed to fill.

Aceves isn't the best closer but he has proved he can close if he needs to.

Melancon closed in houston with much success and after a rough start finished strong. he is another option that COULD assume the role.

Miller had a rocky reputation before he became a BP arm and has thrived in the role. your seriously going to try to throw ERA at me?? seriously? how weak is your argument that not only do you throw ERA at me but ERA from the second half FOR A RELIEVER. keep pickin them cherries lol. ERA is less accurate the less innings you use to calculate. to try to value a reliever using ERA let along second half ERA is beyond stupid.

Morales would best be served as a starter/LR but don't forget he was our setup man for much of the season before being moved to LR/spot start duty. definitely an option to assume the role if bailey doesn't work out.

your argument against Tazawa has to be the worst of them all....he has no experience?? where do closers come from then? do they grow on some magical tree where they are granted "experience"? becuase i was taught they pitch in the BP (like junichi has done much with lots of success) and work their way up. tazawa has the best stuff of any reliever on our staff (and most of our starters too).

keep grasping at air for reasons to discredit the sox staff. you might find a valid reason eventually.

[/QUOTE]

I give you statistics and you tell me that Bard's mechanics have been fixed. See the difference? Andrew Miller lifetime ERA: 5.54, WHIP: 1.694. Daniel Bard 2012 stats: ERA/WHIP: 6.22/1.736. Mark Melancon 2012 stats: 6.20/1.267. Total number of career ML innings pitched by Junichi Tazawa: 72. Red Sox ERA relative to the rest of the AL in 2012: 12th of 14.

Lets see you support your argument better than just blowing off steam, eh? Show me EVIDENCE that the pitching staff is not every bit as bad as their numbers say they are

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pumpsie lives within miles of the Angels stadium. His whole family are Angels fans. Pumpsie is from Brooklyn. He claims to have been a Sox fan since 2004. A pink hatter, spoiled, entitled. He is never happy, just like ADG, Ike, Harv53, DGalehouse, and Georom.  These old bastards are just here to rain on the parade. The forum would be better off without them.

[/QUOTE]

Ummm....Pike...you are right. I live within miles of Angels stadium. 400 of them. And while I visited Brooklyn once, I am from Massachusetts and have been a Sox fan since the 50s. You almost got it all right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

Pumpsie lives within miles of the Angels stadium. His whole family are Angels fans. Pumpsie is from Brooklyn. He claims to have been a Sox fan since 2004. A pink hatter, spoiled, entitled. He is never happy, just like ADG, Ike, Harv53, DGalehouse, and Georom.  These old bastards are just here to rain on the parade. The forum would be better off without them.

[/QUOTE]

Now you did it. You just lost my vote for " Poster of the Year."   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now you did it. You just lost my vote for " Poster of the Year."   

[/QUOTE]

Pike gets my vote for whiner of the year. He just whines about other posters instead of the problems the team is having.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A little short-sighted and ignorant, wouldn't you say?

A lot of the bullpen problems were related to overuse.  The SP did not exactly leave them with a small amount of responsibility.  Really, after that 9-0 comebackl loss to the yankees, the majority of the bullpen was poutstanding.

So Miller is a flash in the pan because it was one season, but Bard is done based on one season?  Got it.

Also, never overvalue the position of "closer."   It is really not a unique skill possessed by a limited number of pitchers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Easy .  Our Pitching will keep us at 500 at best.  That's all that matters.

[/QUOTE]

And it it carries us just slightly over that to .550, we make the post-season.  If it inches us to .600, we take the AL East and maybe even home field throughout...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A lot of the bullpen problems were related to overuse.  The SP did not exactly leave them with a small amount of responsibility.  Really, after that 9-0 comebackl loss to the yankees, the majority of the bullpen was poutstanding.

So Miller is a flash in the pan because it was one season, but Bard is done based on one season?  Got it.

Also, never overvalue the position of "closer."   It is really not a unique skill possessed by a limited number of pitchers.

[/QUOTE]

Miller was mediocre after July 1; Melancon and Aceves pretty much stunk last year, be it from overuse or whatever it was. Tazawa might be good, but its too early to tell. I do not have much faith in many guys on our pitching staff to do their job. I do think Bailey, Morales, and Bucky will probably be OK, but the rest of those guys are suspect. Our pitching staff finished 12th in the league. That should tell anyone with a brain that we need help-lots of it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Miller was mediocre after July 1; Melancon and Aceves pretty much stunk last year, be it from overuse or whatever it was. Tazawa might be good, but its too early to tell. I do not have much faith in many guys on our pitching staff to do their job. I do think Bailey, Morales, and Bucky will probably be OK, but the rest of those guys are suspect. Our pitching staff finished 12th in the league. That should tell anyone with a brain that we need help-lots of it

[/QUOTE]

Or just a cpouple guys to pitch to their potential

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is a saying: "you are what your record says you are". I would say that pertains to performance on the field too. Maybe this IS their potential

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is a saying: "you are what your record says you are". I would say that pertains to performance on the field too. Maybe this IS their potential

[/QUOTE]

Then maybe you should look at Lesters record from 2008-2011. He had a bad year. Hes better than that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then maybe you should look at Lesters record from 2008-2011. He had a bad year. Hes better than that.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but he has not pitched well for a full year, really. Also, he has lost velocity off his fastball. When that happens its rarely regained.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but he has not pitched well for a full year, really. Also, he has lost velocity off his fastball. When that happens its rarely regained.

[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I saw him pitch 3 times throughout the year. Even the Toronto debacle. He was hitting 95 on the gun consistently. I noticed not using the FB a lot this year. could have something to do with it.

Either way, I think we will get what I believe to be the real Lester in 2013.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ladies and gentlemen, which pitcher do you think will do better in 2013?  Lackey or Dempster? 

That just sounded so depressing.  Schilling or Martinez sounds much better.  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

oh come on lets all relax now he,s on the staff  now  i think he will be  fine  and  look the compareing to hows  he,s done in each league  look  he just needs to adjust to this league now  he pitched more yrs in the NL  so it,s understandable he would have better numbers there .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We're toast. Stick a fork in us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your in an unusually bad mood tonight Moon. Never seen you this negative.

Sure, their not "big splashes" but we got some quality guys at no more than 3 years. Dempster is only 2 years and will slot in at 4-5. If he can give us a 12-10 and around a low 4 era, Im ok with it. If a pitching prospect emerges this year, his contract isnt enough to where they couldnt move him if need be.

BC has said all along that short term deal and developing prospects is the way they were going to go. They did this with good players and good clubhouse guys. Less injuries and players playing to their norms make this a different team. Add in naps, gomes, ross and Vic and I think this team has what it takes to at least make the playoffs in 2013.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

DUMPSTER, Victorino...maybe no Napoli. Yup. We are toast in 2013. But just wait till next year!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

When you have a lousy product but think people will still pay to buy your lousy product out of loyalty - your organization is about to collapse.

John Henry - welcome to collapse; you tool.

25. This post has been removed.