This is Why Iggy Was Traded

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: This is Why Iggy Was Traded

Well, Bogaret already proven me that he is a talent all around ball player.  He can play defense and can hit as good as anyone on the team.  Give him a couple years learning the game, and he will be one of the top player in the game.

Iggy may be a better defender, but he can not hit as good as Bogaret.  I dont want that kind of a guy at the plate.  

Pretty soon I am going to forget who is Iggy!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]
    So, I'm curious.

How long does Peavy have to sustain his current lever of performance (2-1/ 3.31 ERA/ .098 WHIP), or how much better does he have to get, before the rabid Iggy fans think it was a good deal for the Sox?

And skip the "If they don't win a ring..." BS.

There so many things that have to go right, for a team to win it all.

It's unrealistic to lay it at the feet of one player.

I wish I could stay away from this topic, but I can't.  :-(  Since I'm allegedly one of the "rabid Iggy fans" I'm going to take it upon myself to respond - from my POV. 

This isn't completely about Iggy.  It's about the future.  It's about having money to spend on FA's and where it'd going to come from. It's also about putting a good team on the field in 2014 and beyond. 

I've been a proponent all along of an IF of XBo, Iggy, Pedey and Middy.  The only question marks I see in that are XBo's defense and Iggy's offense.  Pedey is what he is, and I've always believed that if a person can play 3B he can play 1B even better.  And Middy is a decent 3B who is now showing good hitting ability. 

XBo's ML skills have yet to be determined (although I have to admit that the past couple of days have begun to put to rest my concerns about his offensive skills).  Iggy's offense is what it is today and I think it'll get better with experience, and even if it doesn't I'm willing to live with ~.230 and Iggy's defense at SS.  Especialy with the offense of XBo, Pedey & MIddy in the IF and Ells in the OF. 

That's a pretty cheap IF which leaves money for other positions. Like.... CF.  NOBODY is saying that JBJ is going to be replacing Ellsbury on both sides of the ball.  That's why I want to sign Ells.  Ells very simply is a better all-around player than JBJ.  I see JBJ as either the heir-apparent to RF or as trade bait for a GOOD position player or a pitcher. 

This trade has completely s-d the pooch on that.  We now have to either sign a  FA SS  (think $$) or give the position to someone untried and hope it works out.  Middy can remain at 3B, but what do we do about 1B?  Another FA?  Maybe Carp.  Will Carp be > Middy @ 1B?  I personally doubt that. But whatever happens at 1B it'll be more expensive than Middy, leaving less money to sign Ells.

I was looking at a young, talented, cost controlled team in 2014 & beyond.  The kind of team the Yankees built back when Jeter, Bernie Williams and Posada were young.  One that would carry the franchise into the future,  but now I don't see that. I see the Iggy trade as costing the Sox both Iggy and Ellsbury and allowing them MUCH less payroll flexibility than they would have otherwise had. 

It's not entirely about getting to watch Iggy play - although that's a part of it.  It's also not about Peavy and how good he has to get.  It's about the future.  Which is why I was - and am - opposed to that trade.

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that Xander is going to be so bad at SS that they'll need to go out and sign a FA again.

I also don't think it's out of the question that Napoli is not going to get an offer to come back next year.

He's a streaky hitter, for sure. But, he can also carry a team, if he get's hot.

You could conceivably have Cecchini at 3b, Xander at SS, Pedey and Middlebrooks on the right side, for your affordable infield, in 2015.

I think another team overpaying for Ellsbury is more likely to happen than the Sox simply saying he's too expensive and walking away.

The Sox are going to compete for Ellsbury's services.

But if some other team offers him 7 or 8 yrs and 130-150 million, he's gone, no matter what the Sox are spending on their SS and 1b.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I truly hope you're right and that it does pay off.  If it doesn't pay off we're going to have to pay for a SS for next season along with a 1B and a Catcher in addition to a CF.  I've been thinking all along that if we can have a cost-controlled IF there'll be money enough to sign Ellsbury but if we have to land a FA SS ... maybe not. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

We have a short stop and a pretty good one in Drew. Drew is only 30, not exactly an old man so I expect the FO to make an attempt to resign him. He won't field like Iggy but he is a much better hitter and a better than average glove man. With Xander probably up full time next year if he is as good with his bat, he'll be in the mix at short stop as well. As for catcher if you hadn't noticed Salty is doing good job this year, not a Molina behind the plate but decent enough and continually improving, hitting a decent .270 with 35 doubles and splitting time with Ross or Lav, plus there are other young catching prospects in the minors. Middy is back and looking much like he did last year and he'll most likely move to first if needed but if you hadn't noticed Napoli is coming around. He'll be signed for 1B next year. We also have and Carp both showing well this year and more than capable of helping out at first. The only hole to plug is center field depending on what happens with Ellsbury but I think the Sox will make a serious effort to sign him.

The club just went through a slump team wide but this team is fine as constructed by Ben and the FO and with maybe some minor changes in the off season will only get better with youngster on the way to mix with the vets. This team was well rebuilt by the FO, deep with good players and will only be improving with young players coming up providing more depth but the Eastern Divsion is the deepest division in MLB and that won't be changing anytime soon either. This East is 4 teams deep with Toronto also willing to spend again to improve.   

Hetch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I wish I could stay away from this topic, but I can't.  :-(  Since I'm allegedly one of the "rabid Iggy fans" I'm going to take it upon myself to respond - from my POV. 

This isn't completely about Iggy.  It's about the future.  It's about having money to spend on FA's and where it'd going to come from. It's also about putting a good team on the field in 2014 and beyond. 

I've been a proponent all along of an IF of XBo, Iggy, Pedey and Middy.  The only question marks I see in that are XBo's defense and Iggy's offense.  Pedey is what he is, and I've always believed that if a person can play 3B he can play 1B even better.  And Middy is a decent 3B who is now showing good hitting ability. 

XBo's ML skills have yet to be determined (although I have to admit that the past couple of days have begun to put to rest my concerns about his offensive skills).  Iggy's offense is what it is today and I think it'll get better with experience, and even if it doesn't I'm willing to live with ~.230 and Iggy's defense at SS.  Especialy with the offense of XBo, Pedey & MIddy in the IF and Ells in the OF. 

That's a pretty cheap IF which leaves money for other positions. Like.... CF.  NOBODY is saying that JBJ is going to be replacing Ellsbury on both sides of the ball.  That's why I want to sign Ells.  Ells very simply is a better all-around player than JBJ.  I see JBJ as either the heir-apparent to RF or as trade bait for a GOOD position player or a pitcher. 

This trade has completely s-d the pooch on that.  We now have to either sign a  FA SS  (think $$) or give the position to someone untried and hope it works out.  Middy can remain at 3B, but what do we do about 1B?  Another FA?  Maybe Carp.  Will Carp be > Middy @ 1B?  I personally doubt that. But whatever happens at 1B it'll be more expensive than Middy, leaving less money to sign Ells.

I was looking at a young, talented, cost controlled team in 2014 & beyond.  The kind of team the Yankees built back when Jeter, Bernie Williams and Posada were young.  One that would carry the franchise into the future,  but now I don't see that. I see the Iggy trade as costing the Sox both Iggy and Ellsbury and allowing them MUCH less payroll flexibility than they would have otherwise had. 

It's not entirely about getting to watch Iggy play - although that's a part of it.  It's also not about Peavy and how good he has to get.  It's about the future.  Which is why I was - and am - opposed to that trade.

I don't believe that Xander is going to be so bad at SS that they'll need to go out and sign a FA again.

I don't either.  I also don't think he's going to be Iggy in the field and I DO think he's going to be better than Iggy at the plate.  That's why I like him for 3B.  The problem with your counter is that by the time we figure out that XBo may not be what we need at SS it's going to be June and we're either stuck with him or we sign "One of the girls who looks better at closing time", as Julian Tavarez said. 

I also don't think it's out of the question that Napoli is not going to get an offer to come back next year.

He's a streaky hitter, for sure. But, he can also carry a team, if he get's hot.

An offer?  It wouldn't surprise me, based on further medical examination.  But he's going to cost more money than Middy and at this point in his career he IS a risk.

You could conceivably have Cecchini at 3b, Xander at SS, Pedey and Middlebrooks on the right side, for your affordable infield, in 2015.

Or we could have had "my" IF of XBo, Iggy, Pedey & Middy in 2014.

Chcchini could wash out at the ML level.  One of the things I liked about the pre-trade team was that they had Plans B, C, D, and maybe even E.  They just eliminated one of their backup plans, and each plan is at least one year behind the one immediately ahead of it.  And don't forget that these guys are all Prospects.  A week ago none of them had even a sniff of a MLB experienceNow ONE of them has.

I think another team overpaying for Ellsbury is more likely to happen than the Sox simply saying he's too expensive and walking away.

The Sox are going to compete for Ellsbury's services.

But if some other team offers him 7 or 8 yrs and 130-150 million, he's gone, no matter what the Sox are spending on their SS and 1b.

Now THIS I agree with completely.  Pre-trade I believed that if Ells signed for any kind of a reasonable (in my mind) figure it would be for the Sox.  BTW, that's in the neighborhood of $18MM/5 years.  But if someone else offered him, say, $22MM/6  - that's too stupid to even counter.

Now, given the fact that we may need to sign FA's at SS and 1B along with Catcher there may not be enough money to sign Ells.  And I can live with JBJ, but he's not going to replace Ells.  And it's going to make the team weaker.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the opinion that there are reasons why the Sox spent 84 years as the bridesmaid and never the bride.  One of those reasons is an unwillingness to plan for the future, instead trading away a prospect thinking they're One Player Away when actually the player they traded is one YEAR away. 

I belive this is history repeating itself.  I hope I'm wrong... but that's the way I see it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

I like Peavy and understand why the move was made, but still think it's a bad trade. Iglesias was poised to be the Red Sox starter for the next decade-plus. Peavy will be here a few years and hopefully will pitch in some meaningful games. Still not worth it. If Bogaerts were built differently and absolutely projected as a career shortstop I might feel somewhat differently, but he sure looks like a third baseman-to-be. If Peavy helps the team win a championship this year or next and Peavy helps them get there we can at least point to that as being a justification (obviously no GM can know that in advance when making moves). I agree there is a compelling argument to be made for trying to win when you have the chance. I just think if there was a creative way to package prospects (and admittedly there may not have been) and get a top flight guy it would have been preferable to do so as opposed to moving a special, young defensive shortstop you developed in your system who has now proved he can at least hit major league pitching. The trouble with this debate is we can agree they needed some pitching help and are not privy to what may have been possible with Peavy or other players. Personally, think they gave up too much for an aging (albeit solid) starter.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Iggy can't throw a one run complete game at Dogger stadium, but Pevey just did.  Xander is the reason it was possible, and while not as flashy, has gotten the job done defensively.  

I think Iggy will drop down to a .280 hitter with no power.  Xander looks to be a .310 with power.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Fascinating discussion.  I hated losing Iglesias, but came to terms with it after realizing his departure helped both the rotation and the hitting.  And we saw that in spades over the weekend when the Sox, basically without Ortiz, took 2 of 3 from the red hot Dodgers in their ball park. 

I really disagree with S5's comment about 84 years of non-success having a bearing on the current regime (John Henry, et al), which I think is worlds away from the Yawkey regime and whatever came before it.  This guys are smart.  They want to show a profit, but figure to do it by having a good product, which means fielding a good team every year.  That's how they set the MLB record for most consecutive sell-outs.  They have made mistakes, granted, but overall I give them high marks. 

As others have written and the Globe commentators have also indicated, Iglesias, probably because of his very weak hitting numbers in July, had basically convinced the front office that his future would be as a utility infielder.  Why?  Because in Boston hitting is important and brilliant fielding a lot less so.  The Sox won the WS in 2007 with Lugo at SS for crying out loud.  

Moreover, the Sox have shortstops stacked up like cordwood.  Forget Bogaerts and all those other guys in the minors, and just focus on Drew, who has played an excellent SS all year and is now starting to hit in a way Iglesias never could.  I would argue vehemently there is no way Iglesias was going to displace Drew this year barring injury or a complete collapse in his hitting.  Thus Iglesias played a lot of 3B, which basically blocked Middlebrooks, a much better hitter as we all can now see.  Iglesias also blocked Bogaerts, at least for this year, and it now appears he too can hit in the Majors--off to a good start, anyway. 

I also think the FO would have been remiss if not derelict if they did not try to get a good starter like Peavy when they were leading the AL East, barely, and clearly needed one.  The bonus, as I said, is they also improved their hitting by making room for Middlebrooks, keeping Drew at  SS, and now bringing up Bogaerts. 

As for the future, 2014 and beyond, the Sox not only have a ton of SS's in the system, they have a pretty decent one starting every day named Drew, who can probably be re-signed for a tolerable amount, which could free Bogaerts and Middlebrooks for the corners or whatever. 

I am not discounting the brilliance of Iglesias's fielding, which was/is a joy to watch, but do believe that hitting and pitching are the keys to winning championships. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

As I've said all along, it was a brilliant trade.

Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Fascinating discussion.  I hated losing Iglesias, but came to terms with it after realizing his departure helped both the rotation and the hitting.  And we saw that in spades over the weekend when the Sox, basically without Ortiz, took 2 of 3 from the red hot Dodgers in their ball park. 

I really disagree with S5's comment about 84 years of non-success having a bearing on the current regime (John Henry, et al), which I think is worlds away from the Yawkey regime and whatever came before it.  This guys are smart.  They want to show a profit, but figure to do it by having a good product, which means fielding a good team every year.  That's how they set the MLB record for most consecutive sell-outs.  They have made mistakes, granted, but overall I give them high marks. 

As others have written and the Globe commentators have also indicated, Iglesias, probably because of his very weak hitting numbers in July, had basically convinced the front office that his future would be as a utility infielder.  Why?  Because in Boston hitting is important and brilliant fielding a lot less so.  The Sox won the WS in 2007 with Lugo at SS for crying out loud.  

Moreover, the Sox have shortstops stacked up like cordwood.  Forget Bogaerts and all those other guys in the minors, and just focus on Drew, who has played an excellent SS all year and is now starting to hit in a way Iglesias never could.  I would argue vehemently there is no way Iglesias was going to displace Drew this year barring injury or a complete collapse in his hitting.  Thus Iglesias played a lot of 3B, which basically blocked Middlebrooks, a much better hitter as we all can now see.  Iglesias also blocked Bogaerts, at least for this year, and it now appears he too can hit in the Majors--off to a good start, anyway. 

I also think the FO would have been remiss if not derelict if they did not try to get a good starter like Peavy when they were leading the AL East, barely, and clearly needed one.  The bonus, as I said, is they also improved their hitting by making room for Middlebrooks, keeping Drew at  SS, and now bringing up Bogaerts. 

As for the future, 2014 and beyond, the Sox not only have a ton of SS's in the system, they have a pretty decent one starting every day named Drew, who can probably be re-signed for a tolerable amount, which could free Bogaerts and Middlebrooks for the corners or whatever. 

I am not discounting the brilliance of Iglesias's fielding, which was/is a joy to watch, but do believe that hitting and pitching are the keys to winning championships. 

Nice post, Max. 

I think it can be seen by now that my issues with the trade were more "global" than simply wanting to watch Iggy play - although that would have been a plus!

I know that I'm not going to convince anyone else and they're not going to convince me - it's that multi-faceted a discussion that can really only play out over time, and even then there will be differences of opinion.  I've said what I had to say about the trade over the past couple of weeks and I'm going to try to walk away from it now. But... I've tried that before and we can see how THAT has worked out!  Laughing

But! On a slightly different topic, that of comparing past ownership with current ownership, we hvae to remember that the owners and we as fans have two entirely different definitions of success for the team.

For us a team is successful if they win a lot of games and make the playoffs.  Ownership is successful if at the end of the year they learn that they've made money.  Those two things may converge but they don't necessarily have to. 

The owners have a business to run as their first priority which may (or may not) have something to do with each and every action the FO makes.  I believe there's probably a cost/benefit analysis done on every trade made and there's discussion as to how it will affect "the bottom line".  ...Which probably has something to do with "the trade"... which I'm trying to walk away from!

BTW, this has been a great discussion with a great exchange of opinions and ideas, and as emotional as it was it's not become a discussion of name-calling and insults.  Thanks to everyone for being respectful.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

S5, very gracious of you.  I agree this has been a great discussion.  I believe I am right in saying that incredible play Iglesias made for the Tigers on that slow roller is now showing up regularly on ESPN.  And every time I see it, I am astounded with the way he threw it and threw it accurately.  To me that's the great regret.  Plus he may turn out to be a pretty decent hitter because his approach at the play definitely changed from last year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't see why fans think the Sox need to sign a SS and 1B for 2014.  I would think they would sign a shortstop OR a 1B, with Bogaerts, Pedroia and Middlebrooks all returning to infield duty.

They also might deal from the excess in SP to fill this spot...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

The trouble with projections are they often prove to be false. You can project players like Marrero or Cecchini as major leaguers, but until they get there and prove it it's a crap shoot. Bogaerts is clearly different and there's a very good chance he's an excellent major leaguer. My big issue with the trade is I'm not sure Bogaerts projects as a shortstop several years down the line. He's 6 "3" 210 and by all accounts still growing. In the next year or two he could easily be 225-230. He's not going to play SS in the majors at that size (yes, I know, Tulo is 6 "3" 210 and Ripken was 6 "4" 200). The closest comp would probably be someon like A-Rod (who did move to 3b), though obviously his growth is skewed because of long term PED use, but you get the idea. Or how about Manny Machado, who is smaller than Bogaerts at 6 "2" 180 and was moved (yes, Hardy is at short)... Drew has played better in recent weeks as he's gotten healthy; I think he's a better than average shortstop who makes all the routine plays; has a nice swing with a bit of pop. He also makes 9.5 million per and he's not likely to take much of a pay cut. We had Iggy under our control for years goiing forward and while he was never going to hit for power and likely (as mentioned here) was more of a .270/.280 guy that's a far cry from when we wondered if he could hit .240. And regardless of the zone numbers, very few (Florimon? Simmons?) in the majors can come close to him in the field. I personally like Peavy, appreciate the cumulative effect of having a veteran guy with a true work ethic taking the mound every five days, but just wish there was another way to have achieved the same result. Personally, would have rather moved some combo consisting of Bradley/Workman/de la rossa/webster/brentz/Barnes (even if it meant using a third team to get Detroit their shortstop)... Again, no idea of this was close to possible, but think this move will come back to haunt them down the line... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Iglesias was traded because the Sox had a chance to sell high on him.  If Iglesias was back next year hitting. 210, all the people decrying this trade would be screaming "We should have dealt him ehen he was worth Peavy!"

One year ago, Pedro Ciriaco was the untradable "shortstop of the future" with unparalled speed and defensive skills.  12 months and 3 teams later, he is struggling to even keep an MLB job...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Iglesias was traded because the Sox had a chance to sell high on him.  If Iglesias was back next year hitting. 210, all the people decrying this trade would be screaming "We should have dealt him ehen he was worth Peavy!"

One year ago, Pedro Ciriaco was the untradable "shortstop of the future" with unparalled speed and defensive skills.  12 months and 3 teams later, he is struggling to even keep an MLB job...

Whether or not they "sold high" on Iggy remains to be seen. 

But let's not get carried away with the Pedro Ciriaco thing.  Depending on who you talk to, a year ago the SS of the future was in the minors and his name was either Iglasis or Bogarts.

Ciriaco was the UIF of the future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I feel overwhelmingly positive that many of the critics who are lamenting the loss of the greatest shortstop since Ozzie Smith would be up in arms right now if the club hadn't acquired an upper echelon starter for the stretch.  You gotta give to get.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [It must have been a pleasure watching him pitch in San Diego every night when he threw harder.QUOTE]

this is why we traded him......

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

this is why we traded him......

yes sr!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"It was a bridge year"

According to who? Please provide a link from the last two weeks with a Sox executive saying it is a bridge year. Newsflash: when you are in first place for a good chunk of the season it is no longer a bridge year. It's more of a surprise year. There is no guarantee you will be back the next year, you have to go for it when you are ready.

"and despite the sox unexpected success, they still need more than a pitcher to win it all. "

Again, according to who? At the time of the trade they are in first place, and their biggest divisional threat is inferior offensively, but has better...pitching. 

You don't know what they need to win it all. 

Look, I thought Iggy was great and you can argue that he should not have been traded for other reasons, but not for the ones you gave. The only viable argument at this point is the emotional one, simply..."noooooooo..." Otherwise logic dictates you needed pitching. If you didn't like this trade, blame Buch and Dempster.

My own view is that it depends on how Peavy works out. If he ends up, as in his bad starts, a Dempster type, then no, the trade wasn't good. But if he pitches more like he did against the Dodgers, and into the post season, then you have to get behind the trade I think. 

You always have to give up something good to get something good. Trading when a player's stock is high hurts, but that's when the best trades happen. 

Truth is we won't know for a couple years if the trade was the right move or not. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

IMHO our need was a starting pitcher. If Buch had stayed healthy we most likely don't make that trade. OR next year, when the cream rises to the top in AAA and AA, we may have had a ready Owens to take Buch's place and not skip a beat--thereby allowing the Sox to keep Iggy.

This was an amazing move and it becomes better every five days when Jake takes the mound.

Every day that Marrero gets to play at AA and next year AAA he will get better and stronger. He will be ready or another top prospect like Mookie Betts will be moved to SS and will dazzle us all with his speed and fielding and hitting ability...that's baseball--always hope. 

AND as you look at the Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers and so many other teams--homegrown players are becoming more difficult to see on the 25 man rosters---ex. the Tigers, who has risen through the system for everyday players? The Dogers? The O's? The Yankees? The Sox have WMB,Pedroia and Ells...what does that tell us about Iggy /Peavy--that's what happens to decent or above average AAA or AAAA they get moved for another teams "cream."

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

It is as simple as that.  Like I keep saying, television does not portray the talent which Iggy possesses.  Most who saw this kid play live feel the same way.  Sorry if this disrupts the harmony of the board, but there are probably 50, 000 plus fans who have passed thru McCoy who would not have traded Iggy either.

Ease up on the McCoy rhetoric just a tad, please.  This year in 33 games at Pawtucket Iggy hit 202/262/319.  He also had 5 errors.  And some disciplinary issues that put him on the bench for a few games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

pitching > defense

defense may get you to the PO's

pitching may get you a parade

Peavy is an AWESOME fit for this team.  i LOVE how fired up he gets and "yells" at himself.  and he backs it up with (thus far) fantastic stuff.

postseason rotation of lacky, peavy, lester looks better than pre-trade.  SP in playoffs is EVERYTHING.

*if* buch comes back to anwhere near his form the Sox rotation will be devastating in the postseason....