This offseason ain't that complicated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This offseason ain't that complicated

Dump the manager, keep the regulars, and get one good arm and and one or two good bats for OF/1B.  That means not trading Ells and re-signing Ortiz and Ross. 

The details on getting those good arm and bats are not simple, but should be doable. 

Ells stays because CC is gone, making Ells affordable (though he may still leave) and because Ells very much needs another good year.  Ortiz and Ross stay because the Sox now need hitting.  Keeping Pedroia, Middlebrooks, and Salty/Lavarnway--obvious.  A good bat at 1B looks pretty important right now--AGon was a big loss.  And another one in the OF would be nice. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: This offseason ain't that complicated

That settles it.

You're hired!

Except could you change your mind about Ellsbury?...I just really don't like him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dump the manager, keep the regulars, and get one good arm and and one or two good bats for OF/1B.  That means not trading Ells and re-signing Ortiz and Ross. 

The details on getting those good arm and bats are not simple, but should be doable. 

Ells stays because CC is gone, making Ells affordable (though he may still leave) and because Ells very much needs another good year.  Ortiz and Ross stay because the Sox now need hitting.  Keeping Pedroia, Middlebrooks, and Salty/Lavarnway--obvious.  A good bat at 1B looks pretty important right now--AGon was a big loss.  And another one in the OF would be nice. 

Simple and to the point Max, and I'm glad you first mentioned getting a new first baseman.  I have been hearing rumors that Cherington might decide to resign Loney for a year or two.  That would be a total waste since the guy can't hit for average anymore, can't hit left handers, has no power to speak of, no running speed and has absolutely no leadership qualities or charisma whatsoever.  Ells stays because no team will trade quality pitchers or players for a one year rental, which is what Ellsbury is going to be next season.

It is doable only if Cherington understands that to get a real quality pitcher one of our top prospects like Bradley, Barnes or Boegy may be part of such a trade.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Agree on the offensive side, but I think 4 good arms are needed, plus at least that many projects. 

The best of the returnees from the disaster of a '12 staff are:

Bailey (if healthy), Buchholz, Doubront?, Lester, Atchison?

On the bubble/likely to make team:

Tazawa (hope they found his nitch), Mortonsen?, Miller?, De La Rosa? 

Those who will have to earn a job:

Bard???, Breslow, Carpenter, Hill, Melancon, Aceves/Padilla (willing to gamble on these wackos?), Stewart

And of course there's Mr. Lackey??????

Not a pretty picture (pun intended)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Using way more words, what I have said on several posts...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin, what are your thoughts on Ryan Ludwick?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree on the offensive side, but I think 4 good arms are needed, plus at least that many projects. 

Bard???, Breslow, Carpenter, Hill, Melancon, Aceves/Padilla (willing to gamble on these wackos?), Stewart

[/QUOTE]

Breslow and Carpenter already proved themselves IMO, and Melancon looked really good the last few games.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

All comments, including disagreements with the OP, are reasonable.  In order--

Ellsbury.  Lots of people want him gone, especially if he can bring a good arm.  Fine.  My argument is that the hitting in 2013 is suspect right now, and Ellsbury could really help if he can get anywhere near the 2011 level.  Plus I don't think the Sox will get much for him.

Four good arms.  Love that, but I think too hard to get four. I'll be happy with one or possibly two.  Meanwhile the hitting in 2013 is suspect. 

AGon.  Yes, dingers were down, but the rbi's stayed up and he will likely finish with 110 or more this year.  The Sox leader still with the team will likely be Ross who now has 77 rbi's, and he is not a middle of the order guy in a good lineup.  AGon was and is.  Ortiz is.  Pedroia might be. 

Loney/Gomez are nowhere near the hitting standard set by AGon and before him Youkilis.  Keeping them will be an admission the Sox are sitting out 2013 (which may happen).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That Cincinnati will exercise his option...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That Cincinnati will exercise his option...

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a "mutal option" at $5M. Does this not mean he can say no and be a FA?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is funny. Same as last year except now we need a well and a LF as well.

Let's see how Ben does on his do-over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is funny. Same as last year except now we need a well and a LF as well.

Let's see how Ben does on his do-over.

[/QUOTE]Make up your mind please. Is it a LF we need or a change in ownership. Your all over the place. How about a pitching staff made up of all Tim Wakefield's. You need to focus in on a direction and resist spraying mindless thoughts around based on the flavor of the day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonGlobeLies. Show TheBostonGlobeLies's posts

When do all these "bridge years" end? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This is a piece I copied from MLBTR from a Yankee fan with some great Trade Ideas for the Sox---What do you think???

Bertin Lefkovic  3 hours ago  parent

What makes you think that the Red Sox are going to be terrible next year? They have money to burn and players to trade. Even as a Yankees fan who has enjoyed watching them and Bobby V fail this year, I would not expect that next year will be another one like this year. There is so much that they can do to fix this team.
    First and foremost, I expect that Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester will be much better than they were this year, so that is two starting pitching slots that are locked down. I think that they could trade John Lackey and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Mets for Jason Bay and Johan Santana. That locks up a third starting pitching slot and creates an opportunity to get a big season from Bay, who excelled the last time that he played there and would need to do so again if he wants to get a MLB contract in 2014. This deal would also enable the Red Sox to make Ryan Lavarnaway their first string catcher and sign Mike Napoli, who the Rangers will not be able to afford after they resign Josh Hamilton (missed pop fly or not, he is going back to Texas), to split time at catcher, 1B, and DH.
    They should offer David Ortiz a one-year qualifying offer and tell him to take it or leave it. He will most likely take it. I know that they love this kid Iglesias, but I think that it is more likely that they trade Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Aviles, and Daniel Bard to the Rangers for Elvis Andrus. Will Middlebrooks is most likely their 3B of the future, but if they want to play for now, they could probably make a deal with the Mets for David Wright (and maybe even R.A. Dickey, locking up another rotation slot), who will be unable to sign him (or Dickey) to a long-term extension.
    They can replace Ellsbury in center field by signing B.J. Upton and trade for his brother, Justin, to complete their outfield. While I hope that I am wrong about all of this, I think that the following lineup will be more than strong enough to be competitive next year and in the years to come.
    SS Elvis Andrus
    CF B.J. Upton
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    DH David Ortiz
    3B David Wright
    RF Justin Upton
    1B Mike Napoli
    LF Jason Bay
    C Ryan Lavarnaway
    There are plenty of starting pitchers who they can acquire through free agency or via trade. I think that they would be smart to offer Andrew Bailey to the Marlins for Heath Bell, who probably needs a change of scenery to be able to recapture his former glory. Having pitched effectively in NY in the past, Alfredo Aceves could be traded to the Mets for Jon Rauch, who has pitched well in the AL East when he was with the Blue Jays.
    If I was a Red Sox fan, I would be very excited about the upcoming hot stove season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Unless they address the SP problem, we will lose 90 again.

This had to be the worst exposition of a starting staff in many years, and the irony is that none of them are as bad as they pitched. Totally out of character for Lester to have such a dismal year, yet he was the only one with over 200 IPs.

When Bard flamed out, and Buchholz was handing out ER's like candy, I think Lester and Beckett knew they had to step up but neither could.

If Ben would have done his job and gotten just one solid starter, the whole complexion os the rotation would have changed for the better. But Ben, being the bonehead that he is, tried to fill the holes with has-beens, of which Cook emerged as the only half-way decent hurler.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tazawa on the bubble?? He was the best reliever the sox had and I clearly think he found his niche....

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unless they address the SP problem, we will lose 90 again.

This had to be the worst exposition of a starting staff in many years, and the irony is that none of them are as bad as they pitched. Totally out of character for Lester to have such a dismal year, yet he was the only one with over 200 IPs.

When Bard flamed out, and Buchholz was handing out ER's like candy, I think Lester and Beckett knew they had to step up but neither could.

If Ben would have done his job and gotten just one solid starter, the whole complexion os the rotation would have changed for the better. But Ben, being the bonehead that he is, tried to fill the holes with has-beens, of which Cook emerged as the only half-way decent hurler.

[/QUOTE]

Ben didn't do his job.  Some say with justification that he didn't have enough money but he found $14 million to resign Ortiz who was less valuable to us than if we could have signed two decent pitchers and maybe even traded for Gio Gonzales who was available for a decent price. Ben is a boobhead and while others still think the jury is out on him I think I have  rightly pegged as an incompetent.

To me there are two things we have to look out for  this off season.  Besides getting some pitching which we all know we need, keep your eyes on the first base and Cody Ross situations.  If we don't a good power hitting first sacker and baLoney is resigned and if Cherington blow the Ross resigning you will need no further proof that Cherington is as worthless as I think he is and as useless at T@ts on a bull.