This series

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: This series

This series showed me middle relief is so-so. Yesterdays game, only one where they did their job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm  not sure I can make any determinations from this series one way or another. To me, it's simple. The Sox lost a series it could have split were it not for one bad inning (Peavy game). It happens. Doubrant has been great so he was due for an off game.  That he gave up just two runs in four innings rather than seven is a good sign. Lackey continues to battle and again received no runs support.

The bullpen actually hasn't been that bad considering it remains fluid and a work in progress.

The good thing is that the Sox get a day off and despite losing the series will still have at least a two-game lead and be at least tied in the loss column with the Rays.

Sox need enjoy the day off, catch their breath, regroup and win the next series. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Royals outplayed us. They are a very good team that has kind of flown under the radar. The Sox had to really battle to take two of three from a weak Houston club. Everything works off the starting pitching. You cannot expect to come from behind and be consistently successful. We have bounced back all season, so we can surely do it again. It has to begin with the starting pitchers. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

tough road trip so far. KC is a tough team with a lot of talent on it. Theyve been on a roll since the ASB. A couple bad innings did us in on a couple games. Britton had a bad game after pitching 11 solid relief innings. Naps needs to be PH for more often late in games. Especially when hes looked awful at the plate all day.

I said id be happy with a split on this road trip. were at 3-4 right now. 3 more in Toronto and we can come hom 5-5 or even 6-4. Toronto pitching is not very good this year and our offense should be able to get the bats going. Im hoping.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm  not sure I can make any determinations from this series one way or another. 

It boils down to losing a one-run game today.  One-run games are usually just a matter of luck.  It's hard enough to figure teams out over a month, let alone a 4-games series.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

KC is as good as anyone in AL, and they have won the last five something series including against Detriot and Orioles.  Moving Chen out of bullpen to a starter have worked out well for him. 

Well, at least Boston could have try to win at least 3 out of four games if things have fallen in their ways.  Now it is the time to go to Toronto while tomorrow is their off day, and try to win the series over there before going back to Boston facing the Yankees.

If Rays loses tonite, that is a bit helpful toward to Boston team!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

This series showed that Lester, until Buchholz gets back is probably the most reliable starter going into the playoff. PG will say something stupid but theSox faced a good team and everyone wilted. He is the only one with close to quality start the last turn. He is also 3rd on this team in ERA right now.

You keep asking for stupid and keep telling you to look in the mirror if you want that.

Lester is improving, but its not Lester who is the most reliabe pitcher over the past few months. You should try doing some research before you embarass yourself again....and again...and again. Its Doubront, who over the last two months has an ERA of 2.57 since June 13 (compared to Lester's 4.75). Figures you would take Lester over Doubront. Pretty funny, actually.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

tough road trip so far. KC is a tough team with a lot of talent on it. Theyve been on a roll since the ASB. A couple bad innings did us in on a couple games. Britton had a bad game after pitching 11 solid relief innings. Naps needs to be PH for more often late in games. Especially when hes looked awful at the plate all day.

I said id be happy with a split on this road trip. were at 3-4 right now. 3 more in Toronto and we can come hom 5-5 or even 6-4. Toronto pitching is not very good this year and our offense should be able to get the bats going. Im hoping.

Tough series in KC, but as you said, if we take two of three in Toronto (and we should be able to do that) we are still 5-5 for the trip and likely still in first place heading home. KC is not this good; they are a hot team, but they will come back to earth as the Rays did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sun Tzu says respect your enemy, if you dont you will lose the battle. I respect the Royals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Tough series in KC, but as you said, if we take two of three in Toronto (and we should be able to do that) we are still 5-5 for the trip and likely still in first place heading home. KC is not this good; they are a hot team, but they will come back to earth as the Rays did.

[/QUOTE]

We are only heading home for three games with the Yankees. Then it is a West coast trip vs. the Giants and Dodgers, where we will face some very good pitching. Not an easy road. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Dodgers are playing as good as Tigers. We can sweep Toronto, but 5-5 road trip, and I'll be happy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We are only heading home for three games with the Yankees. Then it is a West coast trip vs. the Giants and Dodgers, where we will face some very good pitching. Not an easy road. 

[/QUOTE]

While Boston goes to SF, Tampa goes to Baltimore.   And then Boston to LA, and the Yankees come to Tampa to play against them.   Tampa could either try to gain games on Boston or maybe they could continue to fail like they did it this weekend including they are losing tonite by the score of 4-0 against Kershaw.

I would rather to worry about Toronto series first before worry the next one or next week!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

The Red Sox didn't look good playing Baltimore time before last and then they played them well last time.  It's a long season and all the better teams hit some ruts now and again.  So far, this team has shown resiliency throughout the season and I expect them to bounce back.  Even with this short funk, they still haven't lost ground to Tampa.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Dodgers are soaring, but the Giants are floundering right now.  Not an easy road trip, but not a difficult one either.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yeah, I know the next trip will also be tough, but thats really the end of the bad road trips. 18 of our last 30 games are at home, so that should help. And hopefully Breakholz will be back in September to help us as well. While the Dodgers are playing well, the Giants stink. If we can win a game in LA and win two in SF I will be happy returning home 3-3 with most of our remaining games at home.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

I hope the SOX have packed their parachute correctly, because from now to the end of the regular season, it's going to be a long fall. 

If anyone can look at this starting pitching staff and disagree with that, than let me drink what your drinking.

You must be drinking cyanide.  I don't want any, thank you.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I can understand not wanting to hand the second most realible title to Peavy, since he has only 2 starts.  But why do Doubront and Lester have the honor taken away after one start?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

I hope the SOX have packed their parachute correctly, because from now to the end of the regular season, it's going to be a long fall. 

If anyone can look at this starting pitching staff and disagree with that, than let me drink what your drinking.

Just a question are you a Yankee fan. I can't recall one post we're your not burying the Sox for one reason or another. Or do you simply live in a world of doom and gloom. The Sox are in first place and have played good ball all year and while they do have some issues that need to be sorted out, middle relief is at the top of the list. I don't see them collapsing or throwing in the towel. They may well end the season on the outside looking in, but it won't be for lack of effort by anyone on the roster. Entering the season. I can't think of one true Sox fan, if they were told in the winter that the sox would be in first in the middle of August that wouldn't take it. 

The Sox starting staff might well not be the most dominant group, but they are a solid group with the addition of Peavy to the mix and will go out every five days and give us a chance to win. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

OMG...what a bunch of Debbie downers.  We're still in first place by 3 games chill out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'am so happy that many of your ancestors probably didn't fight in the revolutionary war. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'd said all along that if the Sox got out of KC with a two game lead I'd be happy.  Well, the Sox got up this morning with a three game lead in the AL East so I'm REALLY happy.  I said in a post here last week that the Rays weren't .800 good and they're not.  Nobody is.  What's happened is that the Baseball Gods brought them back to earth again. 

The Sox got to where they are by avoiding prolonged losing and winning streaks - by just being consistent - and now we have to hope that will continue.  Yes, they've got some tough games ahead of them and no, they're not going to win all of them.  They may (or probably will) lose a series or two but right now they're in the driver's seat.

I know we tend to follow the Lost Column and I understand why, but right now I'm looking at the Win column and here's why:  because of the scheduling the Sox have played four more games than TB and three more games than the O's and are five games ahead of TB and six ahead of the O's in the Win column.

If the Sox can continue at their current pace of .592 (which seems reasonable since we're now almost 120 games into the season and "a team is what their record is") they Sox will end up with 93 wins.  That means that any team to beat them must end up with 94 wins.  That's 29 each for TB and Baltimore or a record from here on in of 29-17 (.630) for TB and 29-16 (.644) for the O's. 

Yes, I'm aware that there are still ~40 games to play and a lot can happen but if you believe the numbers you've got to like the Sox's chances right now.  Just PLEASE don't talk to me about that outlier season that happened a couple of years ago.  There's a reason people still talk about that and it's because it's totally unreasonable to expect that something like that will ever happen again.

Just remember this:  Wins are very important for the Sox from here on in because time is running out for TB and the O's and every day the Sox win is one day less the other teams have to catch up.      

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

This series showed that Lester, until Buchholz gets back is probably the most reliable starter going into the playoff. PG will say something stupid but theSox faced a good team and everyone wilted. He is the only one with close to quality start the last turn. He is also 3rd on this team in ERA right now.

You keep asking for stupid and keep telling you to look in the mirror if you want that.

Lester is improving, but its not Lester who is the most reliabe pitcher over the past few months. You should try doing some research before you embarass yourself again....and again...and again. Its Doubront, who over the last two months has an ERA of 2.57 since June 13 (compared to Lester's 4.75). Figures you would take Lester over Doubront. Pretty funny, actually.

[/QUOTE]

Look at Doubront's WHIP. How you ignore that stat, which is more telling then ERA. Doubront is doing it by smoke and mirrors leaving a ton of guys on and not giving up the big hit. The fact that you cling solely to ERA and refuse to introduce other stats is a sign of defeat. You just figure you to deep now to quit.