This team is very talented. It is not just chemistry.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

This team is very talented. It is not just chemistry.

This Red Sox team does seem to have incredible chemistry. The guys on the squad seem to genuinely have fun while playing. There really have not been any major clubhouse distractions. The players all seem to care for each other as well. 

And while I don't deny that chemistry has played a role in the team's success, I think people are overlooking just how talented this roster is.

I think part of it is that a lot of fans/media are looking at this team through oldschool analysis and don't see a lot of guys with huge home run and RBI totals and think this squad is just a scrappy group of guys who are getting by on guts and heart.

But looking at WAR in the AL, Pedroia is 7th, Ortiz is 8th, Ellsbury is 10th, Victorino is 11th, and Napoli is tied for 21st. Now, add that to the fact that Nava is 7th in the AL in batting average, Drew is fifth in OPS among AL shorstops, and so on, and it is no wonder why this team leads the league in runs.

The pitching staff has three guys in Lackey, Lester, and Buccholz who are pitching well and have all had some seasons where they've been aces in the past. And the guy closing out games for them, Uehara, is insanely talented and has been since he came into the league.

Again, I do think this is a really good mix in terms of chemsitry.

But this club is pretty damn talented too. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: This team is very talented. It is not just chemistry.

nothing to add other than great post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

disagree...i think it is both.  Look at Ellsbury and Victorino as a #1 and #2 hitter.  One of the best one and two hitters in the league.  Then Boston finally found a guy to protect Papi since Manny's old days with Boston.   Then Drew/Salty/Middlebrook are a perfect bottom hitters of the line up.  Plus Boston were too lefties in past two years.  Now this line up is more balance which mean the chemistry is working!!

So I strongly think it is a mixture of talents and chemistry!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is one of the reason why that I do hope that Ben C resigns Ellsbury and Napoli before Salty and Drew cuz of 1 to 5 hitters in the lineup is the best chemistry in mlb!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I disagree and I agree.  The problem is, if you think it's NOT chemistry it's easy to point at stats and WAR and say "see these players are performing better and THAT IS WHY they are a better team"

Well lets for one second assume that 100% of performance of a player is based on chemistry (which is 100% wrong but bare with me) if they performed better because of the chemistry the stats would show that.  So how do you know if a player is just performing better, or if they are better motivated by their team mates?

I no doubt believe that team chemistry is a contributing factor but MY POINT is that I really have zero idea how to quantify how much of an impact it has had.  Lester has had a better year, is that because he just worked on some things in the offseason and found his cutter? a better mentality and happier enviroment helped him to find his groove? I don't know.  I'd guess the truth lies somewhere inbetween.....but to what level I really have no idea.

I'll tell you what, team chemistry defnitely hasn't ever hurt a team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think the OP was trying to say it is both.  not just chem....not just talent....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

There is no dought whatsoever...that when playing the game of baseball a player performs MUCH better when he is loose, or relaxed, or...is having fun and winning. Not feeling preasure. I think what you are seeing clearly this year, and in 04, is a group of players, who...although very talented ( just like quite a few other teams in the league) are VERY relaxed. And LOOSE. This is a team that is having fun. And IMO...that CLEARLY relates to performance, as both individuals, and also...the team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Obviously, as the OP says, it's both.  I do think the chemistry and the winning have made it easier for everyone to play his best game.  But the WAR ratings are a reminder that maybe Ben C knew what he was doing. 

The downside of the talent argument is it makes it harder to re-sign Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew, and Salty. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Obviously, as the OP says, it's both.  I do think the chemistry and the winning have made it easier for everyone to play his best game.  But the WAR ratings are a reminder that maybe Ben C knew what he was doing. 

The downside of the talent argument is it makes it harder to re-sign Ellsbury, Napoli, Drew, and Salty. 

Chemistry or talent?   Like Forrest Gump pondering whether destiny is fixed or made, "Maybe it's both happening at the same time."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i think the OP was trying to say it is both.  not just chem....not just talent....

======================================

Exactly and that is what the Headline says that the team is not winning just because of chemistry, it is talented too. Which of the two is more important. I think chemistry. I'm reminded of a Peter Drucker course 50+ years ago when he suggested that   management not only have talented employees but they must be motivated which I liken a bit to the chemistry of being a team player helping a business to succeed. If not, the talent is wasted like C. Crawford !!! The chemistry is important in helping the team to win more than a talented player simply doing enough to improve his personal stats. OK, I'm confusing myself, happening alot as I age but I feel that a winning team needs the mixture of talent & chemistry and this team reminds me of our 2004 idiots which based on performance , ain't a bad thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Can anybody name a few losing teams that were noted for their good chemistry?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Can anybody name a few losing teams that were noted for their good chemistry?

Tampa Bay in 2006 and 2007 comes to mind, the Orioles of 2009 and 2010. Team chemistry is a function of communicating the organizations goals to the players, roster building and field managers...there plenty of teams that won without a ton of brotherly love. There is a long list of teams that failed due to bad chemistry and a lack of leadership The 2011 Sox come to mind. There are also examples of teams with great chemistry that lose.

The Mariners of 2013 are a young team that entered this year with a solid core of veterans who understand that they're building toward something. Raul Ibanez, Kendry Morales & Brenden Ryan all veterans who I am sure would rather play on a contender accepted their roles in teaching the young guns coming up how to play at the big league level without making their personal gripes public and speaking with one voice. Which is a testament to the leadership of the field managers led by Wedge and the general manager Jack Z. 

In the end Chemistry is often overrated in the big picture cause and effect of wins and loses. It is something that can be fostered early in the process by selecting players with the right skills and communicating the goals of the team and defineing the roles of each player early on.

I will say that winning with a united team with good Chemistry is much more fun than the alternative...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

One can win without chemistry but not without talent.  Agree that this is a talented team, with solid to great contribution from every member of the team.  I'm looking forward to how deep they go and hope they make it to WS, even though Tigers and A's will be formidable opponents.