Tiant on Hall of Fame 'Golden Era' ballot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Tiant on Hall of Fame 'Golden Era' ballot

What is considered the "golden era?"

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Hope Tiant gets in but Santo and Kaat look like they will get in also...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Who are the 16 members of the voting committee?

Anyone know?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

According to the article it is 1947-1972

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Tiant should be a no-brainer.

Gil Hodges should also be in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Those voting on their Hall of Fame chances include Hall of Famers Hank Aaron, Al Kaline, Ralph Kiner, Tom Lasorda, Juan Marichal, Brooks Robinson, Don Sutton and Billy Williams, executives Paul Beeston, Bill DeWitt, Roland Hemond, Gene Michael and Al Rosen (retired) and veteran reporters Dick Kaegel, Jack O'Connell and Dave Van Dyck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

My guess is the 2 most likely to get in are Hodges & Santo. Others I hope get in eventually are Jack Morris & Richie Allen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY.......  "SON, WHATS THE HOLD UP ON TIANT" !!!!   SHOULD BE IN, WHAT A GAMER !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The bar for the Hall has been lowered a bit in recent years , but Tiant's numbers stack up pretty well with some of the pitchers already inducted. Hope he makes it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Tiant does have one more 20-win season than Morris and his ERA is a lot lower. Of course they played in different eras. I don't know if Tiant is more deserving than Morris, but IMO, as deserving.

For Tiant, I always use Catfish Hunter as comparision. Their careers spanned nearly the same years and their numbers are very, very close. So If Hunter is in, Tiant should be a no-brainer.

Kaat has longevity, but if you take that away and look at his number though the age of 37, he fits right there with Morris and Tiant. Again, Tiant might not be more deserving, but certainly as deserving. And Tommy John's numbers are like Kaat's so they're all there together. John's ERA is lower than Morris'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Nothing against Tiant, but there are a few players more deserving not in the Hall ahead of him.

Even for SP, is Tiant more desrving than Jim Kaat, Jack Morris, or Tommy John?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Tiant on Hall of Fame 'Golden Era' ballot:
    [QUOTE]Tiant does have one more 20-win season than Morris and his ERA is a lot lower. Of course they played in different eras. I don't know if Tiant is more deserving than Morris, but IMO, as deserving. For Tiant, I always use Catfish Hunter as comparision. Their careers spanned nearly the same years and their numbers are very, very close. So If Hunter is in, Tiant should be a no-brainer. Kaat has longevity, but if you take that away and look at his number though the age of 37, he fits right there with Morris and Tiant. Again, Tiant might not be more deserving, but certainly as deserving. And Tommy John's numbers are like Kaat's so they're all there together. John's ERA is lower than Morris'.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    There's more to a pitcher than ERA. Jack Morris played in a hitter's park, during a hitter's ERA, and was the ultimate gamer. Recall the '84 and '91 Seasons. I believe Tiant shall get in eventually, but I don't feel it this time. If Kaat & TJ ever get in, then the HOF is indeed watered down. Also, there could be a 'sleeper' who gets elected, like Buzzy Bavasi, Charley O. Finley (ugh), Bowie Kuhn (Double Ugh) or Jackie Jensen. Is Bill Veeck in?  Even Pete Rose is not out of the question.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]The bar for the Hall has been lowered a bit in recent years , but Tiant's numbers stack up pretty well with some of the pitchers already inducted. Hope he makes it.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

agreed, since i am a sox fan, this is one of the most important things to me (louie iin the hall), along with our team getting better, moving in the right direction, and or winning a championship.

louiiieeeee belongs in the hall.
    look at his #s against catfish hunter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Tiant does have one more 20-win season than Morris and his ERA is a lot lower. Of course they played in different eras. I don't know if Tiant is more deserving than Morris, but IMO, as deserving. For Tiant, I always use Catfish Hunter as comparision. Their careers spanned nearly the same years and their numbers are very, very close. So If Hunter is in, Tiant should be a no-brainer. Kaat has longevity, but if you take that away and look at his number though the age of 37, he fits right there with Morris and Tiant. Again, Tiant might not be more deserving, but certainly as deserving. And Tommy John's numbers are like Kaat's so they're all there together. John's ERA is lower than Morris'.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

re:
    "For Tiant, I always use Catfish Hunter as comparision. Their careers spanned nearly the same years and their numbers are very, very close. So If Hunter is in, Tiant should be a no-brainer."

my point exactly!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Tiant never won a Cy Young but the year he could have was 1968(when he pitched for the lowly Cleveland Indians) and we all know that was the season of the pitcher. Gibson had 22 wins and the modern record for ERA in a season a miniscule 1.12. In Tiant's AL Denny McClain was the very last 30 game winner for the eventual world series winning Detroit Tigers. Luis led the AL with a 1.60 ERA an absurdly low WHIP of .0875 he threw 9 shutouts to go along with 19 complete games, 21 wins against only 9 losses for a winning percentage of .700, 268 k's in 254.1 Innings pitched a league leading adjusted ERA of 186 and a ridiculous k/bb rate of nearly 4/1! Any normal year he would be a lock for the CY Young. BTW, he actually finished 5th in MVP voting that season! 

There is no question in my mind he is a Hall of Famer!  The fact that he never won a Cy or a championship are probably 2 of the biggest reasons he is not already enshrined, but those reasons are largely circumstantial.  Tiant nearly single handedly pitched the '75 sox to the championship and in fact was the starting pitcher in all three of the sox wins in that series including the epic game 6 masterpiece that once again put MLB on the map!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Tiant should get in. No analysis needed. He was a great player and is a great man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tiant on Hall of Fame 'Golden Era' ballot : Does that include Hunter's # of rings? (5) Did he ever win Game 7 of a WS? (3, including back-to-back) Or the # of 20 win seasons? (5 consecutive)? AS appearances ? (8) Tiant's a great pitcher who deserves to be in the HOF (His father may have been even better), and yes, ERA and W/L are close, but give me a break. 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Success in the post season certainly enhances a players resume...

My general feeling is that while there is no true criteria for enshrinment. I get the sense that the hall voters or the hall itself, seems to lowering the threshold to include players that IMHO aren't truly HOF worthy...could be that they're trying to fill the expected void of the steriod era players that will fall short with a short term plan to relook at many that fell just short...

I happen to hold Tiant in high regard but is he truly worthy of induction...Was he, in his prime, ever seen as the best pitcher in the game? Was he on the same level as Bob Gibson or Steve Charlton? Tiant was an ace for the Indians and the Red Sox, Gibson was a Hall of Famer....Tommy John wasn't even the best pitcher on his own team, certainly was an ace but Steve Chartlon another lefty who's career over lapped John's was a Hall of Famer...

To me that's where I take exception to the use of numbers alone to quantify whether a players is worthy of induction...The standard IMHO should be was the player seen as the best at his position. One that produced at a CY young - MVP level over a 5 year period, representing his prime, with a minimum standard of 10 years of playing and producing at/or above an All Star level...Once they reach that standard, then you can then factor in longevity, off field charateristic and post season accompliments and then weight them against the current members to see how they matched up...if a players is deemed not worthy of induction after 5 years...I find it difficult think that after a decade that the players standing changed much...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tiant on Hall of Fame 'Golden Era' ballot : re: "For Tiant, I always use Catfish Hunter as comparision. Their careers spanned nearly the same years and their numbers are very, very close. So If Hunter is in, Tiant should be a no-brainer." my point exactly!
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Does that include Hunter's # of rings? (5) Did he ever win Game 7 of a WS? (3, including back-to-back) Or the # of 20 win seasons? (5 consecutive)? AS appearances ? (8)

Tiant's a great pitcher who deserves to be in the HOF (His father may have been even better), and yes, ERA and W/L are close, but give me a break. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

nhsteven: looks like Hunter not a good comparision...lol...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

I always enjoyed watching El Tiante pitch. He had a few hot years, fell off the map, reinvented himself and pitched brilliantly for the Red Sox.  He deserves election into the Hall of Fame.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Tiant vs Hunter

Tiant pitched for 19 seasons (ages 23-41)....Hunter 15 seasons (ages 19-33)

Tiant...229-172 3.30 era....Hunter 224-166 3.26 era

Tiant 187 CG/49 ShO/3486 IP/2416 K's...Hunter 181 CG/42 ShO/3449 IP/2012 K's

Tiant had 4 20 win seasons...Hunter had 5 20 win seasons

Tiant's best year: 21-9 1.60 (pre DH)...Hunter: 25-12 2.49

Tiant 3 time All Star & never won Cy Young...Hunter 8 time All Star & 1 Cy Young

Tiant post season was 3-0 2.86...Hunter was 9-6 3.26

Tiant never pitched a no hitter(?)....Hunter pitched a perfect game

Tiant is one of five pitchers all time with at least 4 consecutive shut outs

All in all, these guys were pretty even....Hunter played on some great Oakland teams and pitched in New York...Tiant starred for Cleveland and Boston...

Tiant belongs in the Hall in my opinion...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

"Gibson had 22 wins and the modern record for ERA in a season a miniscule 1.12"

I'm still trying to figure out how he LOST 9 games that year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

He is a Hall of Famer to me.  Yes, he was up there as one of the best starters in the game, just like Gibson. He was the Sox ace for a number of seasons, and Cleveland's ace before that.  No, he wasn't as good as Gibson, but there are a lot of pitchers in the hall that weren't as good as Gibson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Tiant vs Hunter Tiant pitched for 19 seasons (ages 23-41)....Hunter 15 seasons (ages 19-33) Tiant...229-172 3.30 era....Hunter 224-166 3.26 era Tiant 187 CG/49 ShO/3486 IP/2416 K's...Hunter 181 CG/42 ShO/3449 IP/2012 K's Tiant had 4 20 win seasons...Hunter had 5 20 win seasons Tiant's best year: 21-9 1.60 (pre DH)...Hunter: 25-12 2.49 Tiant 3 time All Star & never won Cy Young...Hunter 8 time All Star & 1 Cy Young Tiant post season was 3-0 2.86...Hunter was 9-6 3.26 Tiant never pitched a no hitter(?)....Hunter pitched a perfect game Tiant is one of five pitchers all time with at least 4 consecutive shut outs All in all, these guys were pretty even....Hunter played on some great Oakland teams and pitched in New York...Tiant starred for Cleveland and Boston... Tiant belongs in the Hall in my opinion...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

3 of those happened during the year of the pitcher (1968); still a helluva feat, and during his best season.