Tigers pitchers dominate Sox without Scherzer or Verlander

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tigers pitchers dominate Sox without Scherzer or Verlander

A real butt-whipping last night despite the 1-0 score.  Tigers had 9 hits, including some hard hit balls, and the Sox had one scratch single and 17 K's, tying a playoff record. 

The up side is the Sox played pretty good D behind Lester last night.  Speaking of whom, Leyland stacked his lineup with 8 righties against Lester, our one lefty starter.  Against the righty Sanchez, who only had the lowest ERA among starters in the AL this year, Farrell stacked his lineup with, pause for effect, 5 righty bats!  No Carp at 1B, no Salty at C.  I give Farrell a pass on Ross catching because I think he helped hold the Tigers score down and called a good game.

The Tigers now have the home field advantage, simple as that--even if the Buchholz beats Scherzer tonight.

Salty will be back in the lineup, obviously, and so might Carp be.  Last night Napoli looked completely befuddled, like a bull in the ring about to get the final skewer.  If Carp, then the Sox will have six lefty bats against Scherzer.  The three righties will be Vic, Pedey, and MBR or Bogaerts.  I think MBR keeps his spot because of his defense, which so far in the postseason has been steady and heady.   

So there is definitely hope.  On the other hand, the Tigers right now have to feeling very, very confident.  Their lineup is pretty darn solid, more solid than ours at the 3, 4, 5, and 6 spots, and their rotation is even more solid. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Tigers pitchers dominate Sox without Scherzer or Verlander

Just a bad game.  Must win tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Tonights not a must win...it's a game that we need to win...

In terms of our lineup IMHO to much is made of the the lefty righty matchups...

Entering last nights game only 5 players on our roster had ever faced Sanchez, Drew, Gomes, Ortiz, Ross and Vicorino with only Victorino of that group with a large enough sample to use as a measure of his ability to hit the guy. infact Papi in three career at bats was 3 for 3 with two bombs, he looked lost against Sanchez last night...Napoli is our starting 1B and earned the right to start the opening game of the ALCS. Carp's role is to pitch hit..Ross has assumed the personall catching duties for Lester. Nava plays against righties and Gomes vs lefties...otherwise our lineup is not unlike every team that's still in the dance pretty much set and has worked all year...the problem last night was Sanchez...not Napoli

The Tigers lineup is what it is and like the Sox they too have arrived in the ALCS using a set lineup, it's not like they have a ton of options unless they move Peralta to SS and sit Iglesias and play Kelly in left. Thier lineup 1 - 8 doesn't change regardless of who's on the mound..Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, Martinez, Peralta, Infante and Avila...5 righties, two lefties and a switch hitter with Iglesias or Kelly batting ninth. Niether of whom is going to swing the fortunes of the team one way or the other....Ditto the Sox who for the most part run out Ells, Victorino, Pedrioa, Ortiz, Napoli, Nava/Gomes, Salty, Drew & Middlebrooks. 4 righties, 3 lefties and a switch hitter...Depending if it's Nava or Gomes they add and subtract a righty or a lefty. Since everyone one of The Tigers starters are righthanded...Salty, Nava and Drew likely will start every game. unless for example the sample size of the batter vs pitcher suggest otherwise...A formula that worked quite well all year and there's no sense in changing it now...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Cardinals have been able to go up 2-0 verus Greinke-Kershaw and I don't think the Dodgers are done. We held the Tigers offense at bay. This is a closely matched series that I fully expect to go 7. I am still confident that we can get this done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not quite sure what the title implies.  We faced the league leader in ERA last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

During the regular season the Red Sox struck out in 20.5 percent of their plate appearances to rank fifth in the league while Anibal Sanchez had 9.99 strikeouts per nine innings, to rank third in the league.

Max Scherzer ranked second in the league with 10.08 strikeouts per nine innings.