tim mccarver.really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: tim mccarver.really?

I am waiting for the 2013 Box Set - I think they will overdub the games w/ WEEI as one of the feature options.  Can someone confirm?  JBAY???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

If you go to the MLB red sox site you can view the highlight video of Vics Slam. They show fox first then the sox radio voiceover then lastly the Detroit radio voiceover. All three with the same video. If you listen to all 3 fox does seem kind of neutral. It's not the calls that aggravate me as much as the commentary that falls in between plays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How many times did you hear McCarver says "He is the best I have ever seen at ______________" about a Tiger and how many times did he say that about a Red Sox? 

Given we have the best DH ever and the greatest clutch hitter of the moden era you would think he could had said it once..........Or maybe Koji's historic season?  Or Ellsbury w/ best running or Pedey in the field?  Just once?  Never.  But Cabrera is the best at hitting with 2 strikes or he is the most comfortable hitting with 2 strikes and Verlander is the best at this and Max is the nicest guy in the league and Torri Hunter is the best leader and on and on and on...........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MLB network has the game on right now...i'm going to watch and listen to it again...

Listen to Buck's terrific call of Shane's slam. Did he sound at all sad ?   Those who supposedly muted the sound, missed the call. I wonder if they put the audio back on for the outstanding post game show? 

[/QUOTE]

It was and the same holds true of Ortiz' GS, in game 2. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

MLB network has the game on right now...i'm going to watch and listen to it again...

[/QUOTE]

Listen to Buck's terrific call of Shane's slam. Did he sound at all sad ?   Those who supposedly muted the sound, missed the call. I wonder if they put the audio back on for the outstanding post game show? 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I heard it. He had no choice there, would have been too obvious if he flatlined it there. LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

Listening to McCarver is as painful as listening to Dick Clark on NYE (post-stroke)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I heard it. He had no choice there, would have been too obvious if he flatlined it there. LOL

[/QUOTE]

exactly

look, they weren't Michael Kaye and John Sterling but they were most defintely biased in favor of Detroit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Kind of ironic. Buck and McCarver were far more complimentary to Farrell and the Sox players , than were the game thread posters who accused the announcers of being biased. Go figure. I thought Buck had a great finishing call. Talking about the Sox great season, winning the Division by five games, and timing it perfectly into Koji's strikeout of Iglesias, ending with an excited call of " and now they've won the pennant" !!!!  Good stuff by a real pro. Not to mention the nice job done by Erin Andrews on the awards ceremony. If you missed it or had the sound muted, check out the replay to see how good it was. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

Kind of ironic. Buck and McCarver were far more complimentary to Farrell and the Sox players , than were the game thread posters who accused the announcers of being biased. Go figure. I thought Buck had a great finishing call. Talking about the Sox great season, winning the Division by five games, and timing it perfectly into Koji's strikeout of Iglesias, ending with an excited call of " and now they've won the pennant" !!!!  Good stuff by a real pro. Not to mention the nice job done by Erin Andrews on the awards ceremony. If you missed it or had the sound muted, check out the replay to see how good it was. 

[/QUOTE]

Buck isn't nearly as bad as McCarver; you didn't mention Timmy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]

it kind of ticked me off in i think it was the 8th inning and tim was talking and he said IF the red sox win he was going to do somthing i don't know...but the way he said IF...he wanted the red sox to lose...he's an assh o l e....

[/QUOTE]

I heard him say he was going to ask Salty Monday what he said when we went to mound to speak to Koji who doesn't speak English! He was trying to make light of that moment by saying Monday because obviously it's not a big play in the game. And considering Tim played for Cards and Joe grew up in St.Loius, I thought they did an admirable job. Better than listening to Thorn/Sutcliffe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Buck and McCarver both have strong ties to St. Louis.  It is something that they have to set aside as professionals, if they are going to do their job. If you review the 2004 DVDs; (as Sox fans , I assume that you have the boxed set ) , they did a good job of that. I had no problem with their reporting of our memorable and historic season. Hopefully, they will do it again. Please try to watch with an open mind. It cannot be any fun to watch with the sound muted. If indeed you really do that. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I thought their call of last night's game was very good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought their call of last night's game was very good.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think many who claim to turn off the audio are being a bit disingenuous to say the least. That is no way to watch a game. And , the radio broadcast does not sync with the telecast.  The perceived " bias " of the announcers is just your own self fulfilling prophecy. It is not apparent to objective viewers. This is not NESN. It is a national telecast. If there were any outpouring of criticism from neutral viewers and critics, these guys would not be used year after year. Fans have a certain amount of paranoia. That explains why Tigers fans think the announcers are favoring Boston. There is no more die hard Sox fan than me, and I think the announcers are being very objective and fair to both teams. As far as Fox Sports is concerned, it is all about ratings. Do you think they or their sponsors would tolerate biased or incompetent announcers? Do you really think they would prefer that Detroit advanced to the World Series ?  That would not make any sense. Think about it. 

[/QUOTE]

You are one of the more intelligent posters

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Again, so wrong on so many levels. McCarver got caught by Buck gushing about Verlander "when" he pitches tomorrow night. He corrected him to "if they win tonight".  Of course they'd prefer Detroit. Yeah he was excited about Vics home run but nothing compared to had that been Detroit. They were constantly harping on Sherzers PC and to throw it out and disregard it. McCarver was so upset with them pulling him fully knowing the Sox may get to the pen. He went in a disserration about how bad pitch counts where. In the LCS, which would seem the last place to complain about PC because the managers might know what the status of the pitchers is.  Once that ball cleared the wall, McCarver was somewhat, how do you say it, toned down? He knew it was over. He wasn't talking much at that point on. I've read your posts and you seem smart, but way off on this. I'd like to meet a Tigers fan who thought they were pulling for Boston.  That would be a feat because again, I listened to the Det/As Orsillo/Eck broadcasts. Night and day.  No comparison in partiality. How you can be so far off on this is beyond me. What does Fox race does Fox have a horse in? The star laden Tigers and their all Cy Young cloned staff in a minimum 4 games in the World Series.  Not the bearded blue collar Red Sox who were supposed to finish in the basement.  It's like inviting some peasants to the Kings dinner table.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

If you think it was Buck & McCarver bias during the ALCS wait until the World Series.  Both of these twits are National League shills.  I'm sure Buck & McCarver cannot be blamed for all the camera time on Detroit pitchers (who of course were not even in the game).  I fully suspect it was directed by the Fox program director who probably got his "here's what we want you to do..." orders from the Fox upper echelon who they themselves only see MONEY and believe the big 3 Detroit pitchers represent the best way to achieve ratings (equates to money).

I am originally from New England but no longer live there.  Many people outside of NE dislike all Boston sports teams including college.  Why? My guess is that Boston sports over the years have achieved frequent success at all levels and New Englander's are not shy about ensuring the world knows about these successes.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you think it was Buck & McCarver bias during the ALCS wait until the World Series.  Both of these twits are National League shills.  I'm sure Buck & McCarver cannot be blamed for all the camera time on Detroit pitchers (who of course were not even in the game).  I fully suspect it was directed by the Fox program director who probably got his "here's what we want you to do..." orders from the Fox upper echelon who they themselves only see MONEY and believe the big 3 Detroit pitchers represent the best way to achieve ratings (equates to money).

I am originally from New England but no longer live there.  Many people outside of NE dislike all Boston sports teams including college.  Why? My guess is that Boston sports over the years have achieved frequent success at all levels and New Englander's are not shy about ensuring the world knows about these successes.    

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. 3 Super Bowls. 2 World Series. NBA championship and Stanley Cup. Plus numerous deep playoff runs. All in the past 10-15 years. And no real sign of let up. It's annoying to teams who can't sniff the playoffs or fail every time they get there ala the Tigers. I'm in Arizona now, and yeah I can relate.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hard to argue with you guys. If you really believe that Fox Sports thinks they would get better World Series ratings with the Tigers , from the broken down, failed city of Detroit, than they would from Boston and Red Sox Nation across the country, then you know little or nothing about business. Your credibility is zero. I would hope they are impartial, but no way in this world does Fox prefer the Tigers over the Red Sox in the Series. Please try to be realistic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I thought the moment last night that revealed how McCarver felt was when Buck said something about there being baseball, "tomorrow night", and McCarver said, "I hope there's baseball tomorrow night!". 

Buck did a nice job of deflecting it by saying that there WILL be a tomorrow night but whether there's baseball remains to be seen. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

Hard to argue with you guys. If you really believe that Fox Sports thinks they would get better World Series ratings with the Tigers , from the broken down, failed city of Detroit, than they would from Boston and Red Sox Nation across the country, then you know little or nothing about business. Your credibility is zero. I would hope they are impartial, but no way in this world does Fox prefer the Tigers over the Red Sox in the Series. Please try to be realistic.

[/QUOTE]

Lol. Zero credibility? Haha. Right bro. Anyhow, ever hear about propping up a city to put it in a better light? You obviously know nothing of politics or national perspectives and how the media plays into that. YOU have zero credibility.  It's easy to argue with people online, and especially more entertaining when those people are so out of touch with reality that they can't see or hear the truth. That's fine man. There are a ton of people out there who see it for what it is.  I could care less, because the team will win that's the best. And they did. If you think the media is impartial or doesn't have agendas then you are sorely mistaken. It just amazing to hear someobe who supposedly didn't hear the bias. When there are others that in numbers that outweigh you did. Might tell you something. Your smart. Oh, and could it possibly have anything to do with getting the best hitter ever and the best pitcher since Sandy Koufax a World Series ring? Nah, wouldn't have anything to do with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol. Zero credibility? Haha. Right bro. Anyhow, ever hear about propping up a city to put it in a better light? You obviously know nothing of politics or national perspectives and how the media plays into that. YOU have zero credibility.  It's easy to argue with people online, and especially more entertaining when those people are so out of touch with reality that they can't see or hear the truth. That's fine man. There are a ton of people out there who see it for what it is.  I could care less, because the team will win that's the best. And they did. If you think the media is impartial or doesn't have agendas then you are sorely mistaken. It just amazing to hear someobe who supposedly didn't hear the bias. When there are others that in numbers that outweigh you did. Might tell you something. Your smart. Oh, and could it possibly have anything to do with getting the best hitter ever and the best pitcher since Sandy Koufax a World Series ring? Nah, wouldn't have anything to do with it.

[/QUOT

With all due respect, you are the one not in touch with reality. This has nothing to do with politics, or propping up a city. This is about ratings, about viewers, about sponsors, about money. It has nothing to do with the media. It has nothing to do with national perspectives, whatever that is. It has nothing to do with World Series rings. It has everything to do with which team will attract the most viewers to the World Series telecasts. That team is the Red Sox. And , Fox Sports knows that better than we do. They have no agenda to favor the Tigers. The only thing you are right about is that the best team won. Have a nice day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am waiting for the 2013 Box Set - I think they will overdub the games w/ WEEI as one of the feature options.  Can someone confirm?  JBAY???

[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I think they will, assuming we win it all. I have the 2004 and 2007 box sets. The 2004 set did not have that feature, but the 2007 set did. So , I would think this one would also.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I don't buy into this bias thing at all, but McCarver irritates me for different reasons.  I suspect that the Fox broadcast is so micro-managed that it seems McCarver is often dancing for his bosses. He probably brings up angles that were hashed over in pregame meetings and fed into his ear.  A lot of his enthusiam also seems contrived.  He just sounds phony to me.  

I remember seeing him interviewed elsewhere.  He was more down to earth and spoke knowledgably about the game.  In the National broadcasts, he seems to be putting on an act for network handlers. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't buy into this bias thing at all, but McCarver irritates me for different reasons.  I suspect that the Fox broadcast is so micro-managed that it seems McCarver is often dancing for his bosses. He probably brings up angles that were hashed over in pregame meetings and fed into his ear.  A lot of his enthusiam also seems contrived.  He just sounds phony to me.  

I remember seeing him interviewed elsewhere.  He was more down to earth and spoke knowledgably about the game.  In the National broadcasts, he seems to be putting on an act for network handlers. 

[/QUOTE]

McCarver is 72 years old. He is ready to retire. He is certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer. To be fair and objective, he still gives more insights into the game than many of his colleagues. Buck is one of the most respected play by play men in the business. There is a reason that he gets the World Series and Super Bowl assignments. The constant ridicule of these guys is ridiculous. It becomes kind of a mob mentality on here. `

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOT

With all due respect, you are the one not in touch with reality. This has nothing to do with politics, or propping up a city. This is about ratings, about viewers, about sponsors, about money. It has nothing to do with the media. It has nothing to do with national perspectives, whatever that is. It has nothing to do with World Series rings. It has everything to do with which team will attract the most viewers to the World Series telecasts. That team is the Red Sox. And , Fox Sports knows that better than we do. They have no agenda to favor the Tigers. The only thing you are right about is that the best team won. Have a nice day.

[/QUOTE]

Not in touch with reality? Pretty sure I'm more in touch with reality as you like to say, than you could ever aspire to attain. Yes national perceptions. Detroit is a dump. Fraudulent and driven into the ground. No one wants to hear about an American city in that bad of shape. At least the politicians don't. They got it into that state. So you try to gloss it over with the Tigers.  It's an oportunity at the very least.  Detroit is a huge market, current state of affairs not withstanding. The ratings, the viewers, the sponsor and the money as you put it, are driven by their promotion.  Easier to trump up Cabrera(last years Triple Crown winner) Verlander(Cy Young MVP) Sherzer (presumptive Cy Young award winner), and the "weapon" as your boy Timmy likes to say Iglesias (for bouncing a DP ball in the dirt) are much more attractive to the general public than the no name Red Sox are. Outside of Ortiz they have no one of any national note. Pedey maybe. Pales in comparison. They are trying to attract other teams fans to watch the WS as well, not just markets. Worst for them, Cards/Red Sox redux. They got the worst case scenario. Which I'm happy about. 

Telling someone that they are out of touch with reality is quite a leap for someone who obviously is oblivious to the truth. And that's fine. I could debate you all day long, and while interesting for a while, would end up being quite ordinary. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

greetings dgalehouse & AFNAV130

I can't say 4 sure who is right  or wrong as to who fox prefers,

it's close and even though  AFNAV130  makes a good point about star power

I still think sox are the better draw

I think, like me, U guys might be a tad surprised

just how close things are between boston & detroit

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_markets.shtml

Markets of more than 10 million people
    --------------------------------------------------------

21,199,865 New York Mets, New York Yankees
    16,373,645 Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers

Markets of 5-10 million people

9,157,540 Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox
    7,608,070 Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals
    7,039,362 Oakland Athletics, San Francisco Giants
    6,188,463 Philadelphia Phillies

5,819,100 Boston Red Sox
    5,456,428 Detroit Tigers

5,221,801 Texas Rangers

Markets of 3-5 million people

4,682,897 Toronto Blue Jays
    4,669,571 Houston Astros
    4,112,198 Atlanta Braves
    3,878,380 Florida Marlins
    3,554,760 Seattle Mariners
    3,426,350 Montréal, QC (NHL)
    3,251,876 Arizona Diamondbacks

tigers have had the best tv ratings this yr again

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/09/30/Media/MLB-ratings.aspx

yet the sox are way ahead in road attendance (national ratings ?)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

IMO what gives gales point all the merit it needs

is that some here were saying the same silly things about fox

wanting TB to win last series