tim mccarver.really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: tim mccarver.really?

Fox clearly wants the Red Sox for ratings and profit, but that does not mean that McCarver is not only a bad announcer (and has been for a very long time) but also biased against the Red Sox.

Giving Buck some credit in the last two games in the Detroit-Boston series, he did tone back his feelings against the Sox to become the professional that he is supposed to be in such nationally televised games. 

Perhaps he was listening to his watchers or maybe he went back and listened to the tapes on his own, but I did detect at least a slightly different tone from him.  Too bad he did not bring his buddy into the tape room with him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again, so wrong on so many levels. McCarver got caught by Buck gushing about Verlander "when" he pitches tomorrow night. He corrected him to "if they win tonight".  Of course they'd prefer Detroit. Yeah he was excited about Vics home run but nothing compared to had that been Detroit. They were constantly harping on Sherzers PC and to throw it out and disregard it. McCarver was so upset with them pulling him fully knowing the Sox may get to the pen. He went in a disserration about how bad pitch counts where. In the LCS, which would seem the last place to complain about PC because the managers might know what the status of the pitchers is.  Once that ball cleared the wall, McCarver was somewhat, how do you say it, toned down? He knew it was over. He wasn't talking much at that point on. I've read your posts and you seem smart, but way off on this. I'd like to meet a Tigers fan who thought they were pulling for Boston.  That would be a feat because again, I listened to the Det/As Orsillo/Eck broadcasts. Night and day.  No comparison in partiality. How you can be so far off on this is beyond me. What does Fox race does Fox have a horse in? The star laden Tigers and their all Cy Young cloned staff in a minimum 4 games in the World Series.  Not the bearded blue collar Red Sox who were supposed to finish in the basement.  It's like inviting some peasants to the Kings dinner table.  

[/QUOTE]

agreed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

This will happen............

Buck:  "Back to Uehara, Red Sox fans have longed to hear it (well, not as long as the one in 2004),..........the Boston Red Sox are World Champions!!!"   Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought the moment last night that revealed how McCarver felt was when Buck said something about there being baseball, "tomorrow night", and McCarver said, "I hope there's baseball tomorrow night!". 

Buck did a nice job of deflecting it by saying that there WILL be a tomorrow night but whether there's baseball remains to be seen. 

[/QUOTE]

excellent post.  i couldnt believe it when this happened on the air.  so blatant.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

just a thought...

is it possible that FOX was having them focus so much attention on the Tigers in order to gain national momentum for the team in case they won the ALCS?  The Red Sox bring high ratings nationally without having to "sell" them.  Detroit?  i dont think as much.  so they tried to turn it into "personal interest" stories with the 17 minute in-game interviews with Detroit players. 

again...just a thought.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

McCarver played for the Sox for a brief period.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I thought the moment last night that revealed how McCarver felt was when Buck said something about there being baseball, "tomorrow night", and McCarver said, "I hope there's baseball tomorrow night!". 

Buck did a nice job of deflecting it by saying that there WILL be a tomorrow night but whether there's baseball remains to be seen. 

[/QUOTE]

excellent post.  i couldnt believe it when this happened on the air.  so blatant.

[/QUOTE]

why is that such a bad thing for any non sox baseball fan to hope for

since when is it a partisan  thing 4 a BB fan to hope for a game 7

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

agree zac, but IMO it shouldnt be said on the air by the color analyst. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

agree zac, but IMO it shouldnt be said on the air by the color analyst. 

[/QUOTE]

gawd I hate when U do that

U just ruined my whole morning ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Strike 3........and the Boston Red Sox have won their 3 World Series in 10 years.  Rightfully taking back their throne of Baseball Royalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or, he can say - becoming the first team in the 21st Century to win 3 World Series titles......Righfully, .....

But let's let The Cat make the call and not Joe.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

gawd I hate when U do that

U just ruined my whole morning ;-)

[/QUOTE]

LOL....here this will help...

sources state MLB is investigating claims that Mariano Rivera helped finance Biogenesis and was a silent partner to Tony Bosch. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you think it was Buck & McCarver bias during the ALCS wait until the World Series.  Both of these twits are National League shills.  I'm sure Buck & McCarver cannot be blamed for all the camera time on Detroit pitchers (who of course were not even in the game).  I fully suspect it was directed by the Fox program director who probably got his "here's what we want you to do..." orders from the Fox upper echelon who they themselves only see MONEY and believe the big 3 Detroit pitchers represent the best way to achieve ratings (equates to money).

I am originally from New England but no longer live there.  Many people outside of NE dislike all Boston sports teams including college.  Why? My guess is that Boston sports over the years have achieved frequent success at all levels and New Englander's are not shy about ensuring the world knows about these successes.    

[/QUOTE] disliking a college team is a bit silly..they aren't taking money out of anyone's pocket...i'm outside of NE(NY) but as a lover of college sports i happen to  appreciate B.C.'s and Boston U's hockey excellence....some of my favoriete Big East b-ball games.were BC and St.John's..and i happen to be a Celts' fan(will miss Paul Pierce Frown)...as for McCarver..it's a give that that he'll beat a subject to death...i'm all for personal choice..but imo some of you Sox fans are going way overboard with this perceived slight...granted i don't think they would go left with it, but i'm pretty sure even the NESN guys wouldn't have ignored how good the Tigers pitching had been...and the end of the day...it's the Sox that are in the WS not Detroit..stop looking for imaginary axes to grind...just sayin'...(billy,tho it's your post i don't mean you singularly)...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hard to argue with you guys. If you really believe that Fox Sports thinks they would get better World Series ratings with the Tigers , from the broken down, failed city of Detroit, than they would from Boston and Red Sox Nation across the country, then you know little or nothing about business. Your credibility is zero. I would hope they are impartial, but no way in this world does Fox prefer the Tigers over the Red Sox in the Series. Please try to be realistic.

[/QUOTE]

Lol. Zero credibility? Haha. Right bro. Anyhow, ever hear about propping up a city to put it in a better light? You obviously know nothing of politics or national perspectives and how the media plays into that. YOU have zero credibility.  It's easy to argue with people online, and especially more entertaining when those people are so out of touch with reality that they can't see or hear the truth. That's fine man. There are a ton of people out there who see it for what it is.  I could care less, because the team will win that's the best. And they did. If you think the media is impartial or doesn't have agendas then you are sorely mistaken. It just amazing to hear someobe who supposedly didn't hear the bias. When there are others that in numbers that outweigh you did. Might tell you something. Your smart. Oh, and could it possibly have anything to do with getting the best hitter ever and the best pitcher since Sandy Koufax a World Series ring? Nah, wouldn't have anything to do with it.

[/QUOT

With all due respect, you are the one not in touch with reality. This has nothing to do with politics, or propping up a city. This is about ratings, about viewers, about sponsors, about money. It has nothing to do with the media. It has nothing to do with national perspectives, whatever that is. It has nothing to do with World Series rings. It has everything to do with which team will attract the most viewers to the World Series telecasts. That team is the Red Sox. And , Fox Sports knows that better than we do. They have no agenda to favor the Tigers. The only thing you are right about is that the best team won. Have a nice day.

[/QUOTE]

Not in touch with reality? Pretty sure I'm more in touch with reality as you like to say, than you could ever aspire to attain. Yes national perceptions. Detroit is a dump. Fraudulent and driven into the ground. No one wants to hear about an American city in that bad of shape. At least the politicians don't. They got it into that state. So you try to gloss it over with the Tigers.  It's an oportunity at the very least.  Detroit is a huge market, current state of affairs not withstanding. The ratings, the viewers, the sponsor and the money as you put it, are driven by their promotion.  Easier to trump up Cabrera(last years Triple Crown winner) Verlander(Cy Young MVP) Sherzer (presumptive Cy Young award winner), and the "weapon" as your boy Timmy likes to say Iglesias (for bouncing a DP ball in the dirt) are much more attractive to the general public than the no name Red Sox are. Outside of Ortiz they have no one of any national note. Pedey maybe. Pales in comparison. They are trying to attract other teams fans to watch the WS as well, not just markets. Worst for them, Cards/Red Sox redux. They got the worst case scenario. Which I'm happy about. 

Telling someone that they are out of touch with reality is quite a leap for someone who obviously is oblivious to the truth. And that's fine. I could debate you all day long, and while interesting for a while, would end up being quite ordinary. 

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox = World Series ratings. The Tigers do not. That really should not be debatable. I'm done here.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

just a thought...

is it possible that FOX was having them focus so much attention on the Tigers in order to gain national momentum for the team in case they won the ALCS?  The Red Sox bring high ratings nationally without having to "sell" them.  Detroit?  i dont think as much.  so they tried to turn it into "personal interest" stories with the 17 minute in-game interviews with Detroit players. 

again...just a thought.

[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad point. It's possible, could be a part of it yup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is not an opinion. This is a fact. The 2004 World Series, Red Sox vs Cardinals,  had the highest TV ratings of any Series so far this century. Last year's World Series, Giants vs Tigers, had the lowest TV ratings yet. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

there was no championship in any sport that can match 2004 red sox for the fan base.

if cubbies ever do it, that would probably be closest.  but they didnt live through all the game 7 losses throughout the years.  to come so close, and get heartbroken.

as for the ratings....the ratings will be somewhere between 2004 and last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why is that such a bad thing for any non sox baseball fan to hope for

since when is it a partisan  thing 4 a BB fan to hope for a game 7

[/QUOTE]

I  thought about that ^^^^ when I heard it and again when I posted.  It was all about context and inflection.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This is not an opinion. This is a fact. The 2004 World Series, Red Sox vs Cardinals,  had the highest TV ratings of any Series so far this century. Last year's World Series, Giants vs Tigers, had the lowest TV ratings yet. 

[/QUOTE]

I doubt this year's world series comes close to the 2004 ratings.  Even the Boston market will not match 2004.   In 2004 it would not have mattered who the sox played in the WS, the ratings were destined to be thru the roof.

[/QUOTE]

Point is, the Red Sox area much bigger national attraction than the Tigers.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I am just waiting for Joe Buck to mess up when he announces that they are going "Down to Erin Andrews".....I am waiting for him to say "Let's now go down on Erin Andrews"..........