Time is long overdue to....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Time is long overdue to....

...pull Ellsbury from the leadoff slot.

In my opinion, he should bat 9th vs RHPs and sit vs LHPs, but at least get the guy out of the #1 spot.

PLEASE!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Time is long overdue to....

I know it!  Drop him down.  Can't remember a time he slumped for this long.  Needs to get back to fundamentals, i.e., go with the pitch, he's trying to pull everything (ground ball to second base every time). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

I know it!  Drop him down.  Can't remember a time he slumped for this long.  Needs to get back to fundamentals, i.e., go with the pitch, he's trying to pull everything (ground ball to second base every time). 

The .303 OBP is killing us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now with Vic having a hammy issue, who goes in the leadoff spot?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Matt Kemp just hit his 2nd homer of the year.

Wow 2 whole dingers? Hes on pace for what, 10?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Hard to call.  Ells used to be a stellar lead off, but been awhile.  Can't benefit from his speed if he's not on base.  I say give him a little more time because don't really have a slapper in the wings.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

He's been told he'll get 1M per year more for every homer he hits. It's not working. He needs to put the ball in play with a punch and judy approach.

Maybe he should go back to the reverse pivot that produced 30 HRs in 2011

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In my opinion, he should bat 9th vs RHPs and sit vs LHPs, but at least get the guy out of the #1 spot.

PLEASE!

I agree he should be pulled and moved down in the line up but to pull him against LHP is a knee jerk reaction. Just move him to the bottom till he gets his groove back. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Imagine how quick Boras would be on phone w/ Ben if RS did drop him in order. Have to do whats best for team. Ells should be dropped and hopefully that might help get him going. Have a feeling numbers will be there at end of year, he's pressing in search of that big contract, seems his whole time w/ RS been waiting to get to that big FA contract. Some guys thrive in this situation others shrivel. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We have our CF'der of the future---I think it will be best for Ells and the Sox to move him.

As others have said, first remove him from the leadoff spot. I don't agree to sit him against LH--you ultimately diminish his trade value.  If that doesn't work look for a trade for the best prospect available.

If ShaVic goes on the DL bring up JBJ to play everyday. See what his approach is the second time around. If Ells goes put JBJ in CF.

It's bad when your part time OF'der, Gomes, has a higher OBP than your lead-off hitter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I bet the person who is the most upset with Ellsbury's slump is Scott Boras.   LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

PLEASE!

DAD & BILL-806, CONCUR !!!  so, Mr. BORA$$, how do you like that ?????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Now with Vic having a hammy issue, who goes in the leadoff spot?

Nava, Gomes (vs LHPs), or even Drew are all better than .303.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

One problem w/ Ellsbury is that he takes too many close pitches w/ 2 strikes against. Gotta swing or bunt. that reminds me...

Another is that he's never learned to mix in the bunt in his game. I used to be less critical about it when he was still a developing young hitter that probably wanted to work on & establish his swing. But i can't give him a free pass on this any more. He'd raise his OBP & Avg. by .100, more steals, score more runs, not to mention more chances to win more games if he just bunted 30-40 times a yr instead of 5 X a yr (off the top of my head #).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

PLEASE!

I agree he should be pulled and moved down in the line up but to pull him against LHP is a knee jerk reaction. Just move him to the bottom till he gets his groove back. 

It's not "knee jerk". 

You have to go back to 2009 for the last time Ellsbury was balanced AND did decent vs both LHPs (.785) AND RHPs (.763). (2011, he did very good vs LHPs, but much better vs RHPs.)

vs L/R

2010:  .471/.488

2011:  .841/.965 (Very good vs LHPs, but that was about 200 PAs ago)

2012:  .648/.701

2013:  .565/.683

There are 30 CF'er with 170+ PAs since 2012 vs LHPs: Ellsbury ranks 29th with a .614 OPS. He's 24th in OBP at .316.

If Victorino can't play, then Ellsbury should start, but if he can, I'd go with Gomes in LF, SV in CF, and Nava in RF vs LHP, at least until Nava starts cooling off, or Ellsbury starts heating up.

I think it might have been 2008, when they demoted Ellsbury from the 1 to 9 slot for a bit. He got hot, and they moved him back. At this point, why not try it again?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

FWIW, I concur completely.  What did his scorebook look like last night... something like, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

PLEASE!

DAD & BILL-806, CONCUR !!!  so, Mr. BORA$$, how do you like that ?????

I doubt he loses any sleep over it Bozo.

So Mr. Conan...... You survived another night ???  America is a great place to live !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

FWIW, I concur completely.  What did his scorebook look like last night... something like, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3, 4-3?

If he was making hard outs, it might be another matter, but he's been in a serious longterm funk lasting back to 2012.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

We have our CF'der of the future---I think it will be best for Ells and the Sox to move him.

As others have said, first remove him from the leadoff spot. I don't agree to sit him against LH--you ultimately diminish his trade value.  If that doesn't work look for a trade for the best prospect available.

If ShaVic goes on the DL bring up JBJ to play everyday. See what his approach is the second time around. If Ells goes put JBJ in CF.

It's bad when your part time OF'der, Gomes, has a higher OBP than your lead-off hitter.

If Vic goes down Brentz should come up to play RF. Move Ciriaco (DFA) and make Holt the UI.

Either way, Ells needs to be dropped to the #7 spot until he can start hitting like the player he is, not the player hes trying to be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Maybe he should go back to the reverse pivot that produced 30 HRs in 2011

Maybe he should ditch his reverse pivot that has produced 57 homers in his entire half a decade career, and 5 HR in the last 5 months he has started. Maybe he can get the Red Sox to bring back AGon and move Pedroia into the 2 slot, and maybe his agent will foot bill for that and some human growth hormone from Dr. Galea, Tiger Woods' doctor.  

The reverse pivot only works on FB middle in. We saw that 1st hand in 2011. Pitchers are on to that, and now hes being pitched low and away. As we can see, the results are much different. Ells needs to adjust and he hasnt done that yet. Until he realizes that hes more michael Bourne and not Mike Trout, he will continue to have these results.