Time to Bench Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Time to Bench Salty

I imagine the brass is getting tired of Salty's strike outs. I can't remember anyone this bad who kept his job this long. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. Time to hand the job over to Lavanway. Nothing to lose at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Time to Bench Salty

I'm not a Salty basher but he he now has 101 K's in just under 300 AB's. I knew he had been K-ing a lot but I didn't realize the #'s were that bad. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In Response to Time to Bench Salty:
    [QUOTE]I imagine the brass is getting tired of Salty's strike outs. I can't remember anyone this bad who kept his job this long. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. Time to hand the job over to Lavanway. Nothing to lose at this point.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]Why your at it, ells and pedy too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Saltalamacchia needs to learn/develop a plan for when he is at the plate.
    He has some power potential, but he is just way to easy to pitch to, and it seems that every team in the league has figured him out.

Time for him to make some adjustments because unless you are hitting home runs in about 20% of your at bats striking out 33% of the time is highly unacceptable.  Unfortunately, he hits HRs at about a 6% clip which is far from 20%.

If i had a buck for every time he has swung over the top of a slider low or in the dirt this year............

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty:
    [QUOTE]Saltalamacchia needs to learn/develop a plan for when he is at the plate. He has some power potential, but he is just way to easy to pitch to, and it seems that every team in the league has figured him out. Time for him to make some adjustments because unless you are hitting home runs in about 20% of your at bats striking out 33% of the time is highly unacceptable.  Unfortunately, he hits HRs at about a 6% clip which is far from 20%. If i had a buck for every time he has swung over the top of a slider low or in the dirt this year............
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]
    Right to the point. A few weeks ago, I posted that Salty was striking out too much. The newer metrics downplays the importance of K's, especially for power hitters, and places greatest emphasis on OBS. But a batter striking out one-third of the time is not going to get on base much, and needs to make up for it with more homers than Salty is hitting. I said then and in a subsequent post that his job could be in jeopardy. The threat is even greater now for three reasons: he's still doing it; Lavarnway is on the roster; the Sox are close to being out of playoffs race, if not in fact out of it realistically. Once the FO faces reality, it could very well decide to make Lavarnway the primary catcher the remainder of the way in order to have a long look. If Lavarnway looks ready or close to ready, Salty's days in Boston could be numbered. OTOH, if Ortiz leaves, the Sox might keep both Salty and Lavarnway.
    A poster above mentioned Ellsbury and Pedey. Ellsbury looks late on everything. He once had trouble with the curve breaking down and in. Last year he fixed that. This year he's back to it. He's now had more than enough AB's to have come around. The conventional wisdom is that his days in Boston are numbered, either by trade or by FA. Either way, he will need to hit better to be a major trade chip or to get a big contract. He has seven weeks to turn it on. Odds are that he will -- or at least do better than currently -- but he hasn't yet.
    Pedey may be slowed down at the plate by the continuing effects of the injury. Whatever the case, he's way off his norm. Could he be involved in a trade? Probably not, but no telling what the FO might do if it decides to shake this club up.
    He and Ellsbury are not helping this ragged club, and Salty, despite vast improvement on defense, is not doing what he's in the lineup to do. He's hit into some hard outs and had a few hits, and has even taken a few walks; but he's been batting sixth -- higher a couple of months ago -- to put the ball in the seats. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

It's Lavarnways time. He was voted best defensive catcher in the international league this year. Salty and defense don't go together unless your talking about bad. Salty had his chance and is at best an average catch with some power who strikes out a ton. The experiment can end Theo is gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I've tended to support Salty, but it could well be time.  He strikes out when a sac fly or just contact with the ball would bring in a run.  His 20 home runs at this point--fantastic for a catcher--are misleading.  That said, Shoppach also strikes out a lot.  Could also be time to play Lavarnway more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

Finally someone points out our two great catchers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Time to Bench Salty:
    [QUOTE]I imagine the brass is getting tired of Salty's strike outs. I can't remember anyone this bad who kept his job this long. It's like having a pitcher in the lineup. Time to hand the job over to Lavanway. Nothing to lose at this point.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]

Well, Lavarnway isnt doing any good as a hitter (1-13) since he was called up. I think Shoppach should be the one to start for now, but I strongly think he is still nursing with his injured shin.  

Well, look alike the bottom of the line up other than Ciriaco/WMB are all struggling now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I THINK "EXPITCH"HAD THE BEST POST OF THE ONES I HAVE READ.
    I HAVE BEEN CAMPAIGNING AGAINST SALTALAMACCHIA FOR OVER
    A MONTH. HE IS NOTHING BUT A TRIPLE A CATCHER AT BEST.
    THE COMMENT THAT SALTY CANNOT PUT HIS BAT ON THE BALL
    WHEN ALL WE NEED IS CONTACT IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY !
    THE 20 HRS. MEAN LITTLE. THE CLUB IS BELOW .500. THERE IS
    TOO MUCH DEAD WOOD ON THIS TEAM.  LOOK AT THE YANKEES.
    THEY SIGN SWISHER, CHAVEZ, IBANEZ, ICHIRO, NIX, AND
    STEWART AND THEY ALL PRODUCE IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER.
    OUR DEAD WOOD IS SALTY, SHOPPACH, NAVA, AVILES AND PUNTO.
    UNFORTUNATELY, ASIDE FROM AN OCCASIONAL SURPRISE HR, THEY
    ARE ALL USELESS AND ARE RALLY KILLERS.  THIS HURTS EVEN
    MORE BECAUSE ELLSBURY, PEDEY AND CRAWFORD ARE NOT
    CREATING RUNS LIKE THEY SHOULD AND PAPI IS INJURED. I
    LIKE MIDDLEBROOKS AND CIRIACO.  AVILES SHOULD BE USED
    FOR TRADE BAIT SOONER THAN LATER.  HELLO TO LAST PLACE !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Salty should be the DH while Ortiz is out

Lava should be the catcher

Shoppach is just the back up

Let Salty hit but get some rest from catching - he can't last a full season

I think going forward a platoon w/ Salty/Lava would be best

Why give up on a Catcher who can catch 81 games and hit 20 Homers?  I would over look the 120K's.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Since July 1 Salty has struck out 42 times in 98 plate appearances.  That's a worse ratio than Mark Reynolds had when he set the strikeout record of 223.  Salty is a swishmaster of historic proportions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why people think that Lavarnway should be the starter if he cant hit lately?  If Shoppach is healthy enough to catch, then put him in instead either Salty or Lavarnway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Since July 1 Salty has struck out 42 times in 98 plate appearances.  That's a worse ratio than Mark Reynolds had when he set the strikeout record of 223.  Salty is a swishmaster of historic proportions.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

that's because I think Salty is tired...he can't catch everyday.  if he platoons he can remain strong all season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Why people think that Lavarnway should be the starter if he cant hit lately?  If Shoppach is healthy enough to catch, then put him in instead either Salty or Lavarnway.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway's only come to the plate 15 times.  Not sure why he's with the team if he's not going to play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : that's because I think Salty is tired...he can't catch everyday.  if he platoons he can remain strong all season.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Shoppach has started 40 games.  Salty starts about 2/3 of the time.  He shouldn't be that tired.  Unless it's from all the swings and misses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In the month of August so far Salty has struck out at almost a 50% rate. In the past 2 months it's been approximatly a 43% rate. All we had to do is look at his swing to predict this. He is not ever going to be a high contact rate guy.

To his credit, part of this is him trying to take more pitches. He is trying to get his OBP up and trying to have a better approach. He just doesn't have the tools to pull it off. He's probably better off just going up there hacking. He's drawing more walks in the past month or so but it isn't worth it for him when his contact rates are so low.

We should play Lavarnway. Salty's value probably goes down even further the way things are going if he continues to play. Should have bought a squirrel. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Ugh! That long sweep swing.
    He has 320ABs and 101Ks, so he's striking out every
    third at bat, or so.
    That's for the season, but he's increased his Ks as has been mentioned.
    He must be close to some record for Ks per at bat.
    Why is he hitting in front of Middlebrooks, when he should be far down in the order.
    He's left a lot of men on base during the last couple of months.
    By the way, The Schizo's Choice CC is hitting a robust .095 on the road this year, and is 2-13 in his last three games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]Salty should be the DH while Ortiz is out Lava should be the catcher Shoppach is just the back up Let Salty hit but get some rest from catching - he can't last a full season I think going forward a platoon w/ Salty/Lava would be best Why give up on a Catcher who can catch 81 games and hit 20 Homers?  I would over look the 120K's.......

What? Salty as the DH? The reason for benching him is, HE STRIKES OUT HALF THE TIME! Get it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : that's because I think Salty is tired...he can't catch everyday.  if he platoons he can remain strong all season.

He has not been catching every day. Even if he was, why didn't the guys who used to catch 140 ga,es a year get tired! He's in his 20's for pete's sake not his 80's! He's playing a GAME, not out digging ditches. What's he (and others) going to do when they have to get a real job?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE] I can't remember anyone this bad who kept his job this long. Mike Aviles and Jason Varitek were "this bad".
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Oh, man.  That conjured up memories long-preferred to be forgotten:  Varitek flailing helplessly at strike three, up and out of the zone, every game!  Then the sheepish look to the ground as he trudged back to the dugout to don his shinguards and chest protector, daring not to look anyone in the dugout in the eye.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

If i had a buck for every time he has swung over the top of a slider low or in the dirt this year............
    Posted by charliedarling

Ah, his kryptonite.  Down and in, esp. when he is swing left-handed.  The put away pitch of his life....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Bench Salty : Oh, man.  That conjured up memories long-preferred to be forgotten:  Varitek flailing helplessly at strike three, up and out of the zone, every game!  Then the sheepish look to the ground as he trudged back to the dugout to don his shinguards and chest protector, daring not to look anyone in the dugout in the eye.....
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Yeah but we usually won with Varitek behind the plate (60-31 his last 2 seasons), and we usually lose with Salty behind the plate.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Let's see.

Theo's infatuations brought us Salty, Lugo, Rent-a-wreck, Gonzo...
    Any otheres  Any of these pan out?

i'm still not sure about Gonzo -- His hitting is coming back, but I'd still like to see what he can do when the game is on the line.  My guess is grounder to second.

Wishing Theo well in Chicago.