Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury?

On other thread a poster made a good point....

Tell Boras if Ells doesn't agree to a good term offer he's being dealt to any team the Sox want....

He might not perform well at certain teams in his contract year....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Re: Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury?

In Response to Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury?:
    [QUOTE]On other thread a poster made a good point.... Tell Boras if Ells doesn't agree to a good term offer he's being dealt to any team the Sox want.... He might not perform well at certain teams in his contract year....
    Posted by floridamike[/QUOTE]

The Sox seem intimidated by Borax. I like the suggestion. I hope they are hardnose enough to either keep Ells or get value for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Okay, another voice from Florida. I think the recent trade changes the horizon for Boras and his client. They may be more willing to deal sensibly now. We will see.

On a side note, how're you guys liking the weather today? Starting to go down hill in Naples.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Why would Ellsbury even want to return to a team in total rebuild mode ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury?:
    [QUOTE]Why would Ellsbury even want to return to a team in total rebuild mode ?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

He most likely won't, but just for the sake of discussion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Why would Ellsbury even want to return to a team in total rebuild mode ?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

it's not total rebuild mode

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

you really think ells cares where he plays next year ?He knows he's a free agent afterwards so that threat ain't much of a threath.......he'll sign with whoever he wants to play for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]On other thread a poster made a good point.... Tell Boras if Ells doesn't agree to a good term offer he's being dealt to any team the Sox want.... He might not perform well at certain teams in his contract year....
    Jacoby Ellsbury, who hasn't exactly raked on the Red Sox this season, might welcome the change of scenery.

I rather doubt the Red Sox could intimidate Scott Boras .. the fourth-place, 61-67 Red Sox aren't negotiating from a position of power.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Ellsbury will play for the team that pays him the most at the longest term. Why would it matter if a team is in re-build mode, Els already has a ring. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury? : Jacoby Ellsbury, who hasn't exactly raked on the Red Sox this season, might welcome the change of scenery. I rather doubt the Red Sox could intimidate Scott Boras .. the fourth-place, 60-67 Red Sox aren't negotiating from a position of power.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    What do the standings have to do with it. The negotiations will involve money and years -- and would no matter what the team's record. Power in negotiations rests mostly in money. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The genius of Scott Boras is not just his famously tough negotiating stances, or the ultra-detailed prospecti he produces for his clients...it's the cult he's built around himself.

No one "leverages" Scott Boras.  He virtually never loses - though sometimes his clients do...at least in the short term.  The Sox would have to wildly overpay to keep Ells beyond next year, particularly after his lukewarm return to the lineup so far.  Why?  Because Boras understands that free agents get too much money and too many years so why give a hometown discount?  It's not going to happen, IMO.

The threat to trade Ells to an unsavoury location?  Yeah, that's gonna scare Boras!  Whatever team Ells plays for in 2013 he will do his best to play his best to maximise his marketability - as he should, as would we all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm not saying Boras will be scared. It's just that, given the injuries and less than stellar performances two of the past three seasons, coupled with the sudden financial flexibility of the Sox, it might be best for his client to sign with Boston now, for a reasonable figure, rather than risk injury or another mediocre year. Kind of a case of devil you know for what you can get scenario.
    Then again, Boras has never has had a problem gambling with someone else's future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not saying Boras will be scared. It's just that, given the injuries and less than stellar performances two of the past three seasons, coupled with the sudden financial flexibility of the Sox, it might be best for his client to sign with Boston now, for a reasonable figure, rather than risk injury or another mediocre year. Kind of a case of devil you know for what you can get scenario. Then again, Boras has never has had a problem gambling with someone else's future.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

I think that's exactly the case i.e. it might be best for Boras/Ells to "settle" but Boras won't because he thinks he can (and probably will) outsmart the market and because he'd throw any client under the bus to maintain the Cult of Boras.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's the thing though, what clubs will be offering 6 and 7 year deals if the Red Sox aren't?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm not sure anyone would offer six or seven years at this point given his recent history. He'd be lucky to get five and that is unlikely. A lot will depend on how he does next season. The smart move, I think, if he's unwilling to sign, would be to trade him for what they can get and let someone else deal with Boras.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Ells will probably take 2-3 years some place and hope to grab a final long term deal coming off those 2-3 years...my guess is he heads to the NL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]If I were the Cardinals I would be drooling for an outfield of Ellsbury, Holliday, and Beltran. And that would be a great ballpark for someone with outfield speed like Ellsbury. I would never deal with Boras as much as I love Ellsbury. I'd dangle him to the Cards and see if they'd part with some pitching and then I'd throw Bradley into the fire and see if he can grow up fast.
    Posted by Flattiehater[/QUOTE]
    The St. Louis Cardinals have gotten 3.5 WAR* in only 82 games this season from centerfielder Jon Jay, who is a year and a half younger than Jacoby Ellsbury. Jay is scheduled to earn near the league minimum in 2013 and remains under team control through 2016.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Ells will probably take 2-3 years some place and hope to grab a final long term deal coming off those 2-3 years...my guess is he heads to the NL.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

If Ells does something like a 150-game, .310/25/90 with an OPS around .850 with SBs, good D, etc. (completely reasonable IMO) I think he stands a good chance of a $100m contract.

For Boras it's an easy sell: "2007 key to the Sox playoff run and WS victory....2008/2009 strong developing player.....2010 accidental trauma wiped him out....2011 best player in MLB.....2012 another accidental trauma wiped him out....2013 again reverted to top form.  Plus he's still young, handsome, charming...can lead off or bat 3rd....blah blah blah".

Easy sell, especially to the Big Brains running MLB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to Leverage Boras & Ellsbury? : If Ells does something like a 150-game, .310/25/90 with an OPS around .850 with SBs, good D, etc. (completely reasonable IMO) I think he stands a good chance of a $100m contract. For Boras it's an easy sell: "2007 key to the Sox playoff run and WS victory....2008/2009 strong developing player.....2010 accidental trauma wiped him out....2011 best player in MLB.....2012 another accidental trauma wiped him out....2013 again reverted to top form.  Plus he's still young, handsome, charming...can lead off or bat 3rd....blah blah blah". Easy sell, especially to the Big Brains running MLB.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]Who's going to pay that though? Not the Yankees, they have  Granderson. Maybe the Reds or the Cards I guess, but those teams don't seem to be in love with long term contracts either. I think the Red Sox went out of the long term contract business yesterday. At least I hope so.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]2007 key to the Sox playoff run and WS victory.. False. Was a bench guy in the playoffs, until the WS. The Red Sox dominated the Rockies, and would have won the WS without Ellsbury.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]The only thing false here is you. You have Johnny Pesky as your avatar, yet you've been mocking him since he first said he liked Ellsbury. Crawl back into your hole already.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Like the Braves, I'd tell Bora$$ that I'm through dealing with ANY of his clients.

And, '2016' is a great eye-opener.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, another voice from Florida. I think the recent trade changes the horizon for Boras and his client. They may be more willing to deal sensibly now. We will see. On a side note, how're you guys liking the weather today? Starting to go down hill in Naples.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Sir it's pretty windy and rainy over here on the East Coast. I hope you're safe!

Epstein was a Boras guy. Lucchino is not! Lucchino is the brains behind the Sox and gets the credit by some internally as winning the series(s) for his trade for beck and Lowell....

They are not messing around anymore. This is a clear indication to me Lucchino is in charge and I like it as a fan!

Great things to come imo....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hi mike,
     i posted this. i do not know if you are referencing me though.
    lets see if the sox get an idea.