Tito has thrown in the towel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Tito has thrown in the towel

Tito for class dunce! Where was your closer in the 8th inning last night? Sorry i'm not a Tito fan he makes all the wrong moves or none at all which is the same thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel:
    [QUOTE]space u are my fav poster on bdc for a number of reasons (first and foremost your screenname is my boyhood idol) but the "injuries" that have sidelined Beckett and Bedard are phantom injuries and will be milked JD Drew style to "rest" everyone....maybe its the built in hate I have for the Yankees (before wild card)  but I HATE losing to them for the division championship -  I am not consoled by the wild card and disagree with  our manager that the most important thing is to get in the plaoffs and to be rested...as far as our hitters being benched to save them from hitting tough lefties, I can not accept that...not in April or May, and certainly not in Septemeber when we will be facing serious pitching in the post-season ....are we going to play DMac then????? you cant walk into the plyaoffs backward....I just hope we pull off 10/12 to end the regular reason....we lost a great opportunoity to play most of american league games in Fenway during the post season
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

The red sox have the best road record in the American League this season.  Surely you can't really believe that they have no chance beating Detroit?  Seriously?!  Verlander is all we hear but his postseason numbers so far are horrendous.  He is a lock for the Cy Young but until he proves he can pitch in the postseason it is meaningless. I have no fear of that team and whether the Yankees or the Rangers win their presumptive series I like our chances against either team especially the Yankees.  Beckett, Lester and yes Lackey(all 3 have closed out a world series  title something Justin Verlander among others has never done in his career) are a better three then any other AL team(this is assuming Beckett's injury is not serious which it appears it is not and he willl make 1-2 starts the last week of the regular season).  This panic mode is absurd!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel

In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in thr towel : You do know, don't you, that no best player is the best all the time? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to remember, what was Gonzo's last at bat like??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think it's the fans who are throwing in the towel, not the manager.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel : yea because our players are sooooo overworked....get a grip...our manager has GIVEN UP - where is that thread froma  few days ago asking people who has given up??? forward that to Francona and let him sign off on it...you people are morons if you dont think that the lineups for the rest of September wont be filled with scrubs....once again our manager has blown an All-Star Game lead and led us to another wild card spot....big whoop...too bad many of you Sox fans who care so much about your manager's rep dont care as much about your team winning and beating the Yanks for the division....
    Seriously, it's like two people share your computer. The rational one who usually posts, and then the crazy man who takes over every now and then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Tito for class dunce! Where was your closer in the 8th inning last night? Sorry i'm not a Tito fan he makes all the wrong moves or none at all which is the same thing.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

From WEEI.com:

TORONTO — Some have suggested that Jonathan Papelbon should have been the guy to face Jose Bautista, or even Edwin Encarncion, or at least have been warming up in what turned out to be a five-run eighth inning for the Blue Jays Wednesday night.

Well, here is why he wasn’t:

- The reason why Papelbon wasn’t warming up when Terry Francona decided to get Matt Albers up in the eighth was because Papelbon rarely ever warms up in the eight inning. He has pitched three times this season in the eighth, the last occasion coming way back on May 9. He also did it just four times in ’10.

- If this was a playoff game, Francona would have most likely had Papelbon warming. The closer has, after all, pitched in the eighth four times in the playoffs, including two out of the three American League Division Series games against the Angels in ’09. He has also pitched in the eighth on one day’s rest just once (May 9) in the past three seasons, with four days passing before he pitched after that May outing

- Before the at-bat that saw Bard walk in the tying run, Bautista was 0-for-6 against the reliever with three strikeouts. He had also seemingly righted the ship, having struck out two of the three previous batters. On the flip side, Bard had already thrown 31 pitches (on his way to 36, the second-most of his big league career) and Papelbon had success with Bautista (1-for-8) and with the bases loaded (7 batters faced this season, 7 strikeouts).

- Regarding Encarnacion, Albers had good success against him, limiting the righty hitter to two hits in 11 at-bats, totaling six strikeouts. Encarnacion, on the other hand, was 3-for-3 against Papelbon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito has thrown in the towel : Seriously, it's like two people share your computer. The rational one who usually posts, and then the crazy man who takes over every now and then.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

hahaha that made me laugh Lloyd but I really believe this....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I agree with a lot of the previous post, except that Bard lost a 1-2 count to walk in the 7th run prior to Bautista. He had clearly gone from wild to "righting his ship" with a mesmerizing 3-2 curve ball for the 2nd straight K. But what I saw was he was laboring, he had thrown a lot of pitches, and when he lost the hitter before Bautista, he was done. That is where I would have gone to Papelbon, had him warming up for a 4-out save. Sorry, that is where I do agree with the naysayers on Tito's decision making there. I thought he wasn't available--Paps--I had no idea he was not only available, but not warming up...that was bad managing in that circumstance. Albers has been nothing short of horrific for a while now. He's not the guy who went 2 or 3 months sailing as a strong middle reliever. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bard's walk was the end of his night, or should have been when it was 8-7...no one would have been upset with him coming out at that point. Unless it was to bring in Albers....yikes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You are trying to a win a game, and you don't have your closer up with bases loaded and your setup guy struggling....bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

There are times you just have to throw out the "manual" or the scout book based on circumstances. In this case, Paps was the team's best chance to get out of that jam with the lead. Whatever happened to Theo's old philosophy of it doesn't have to be the 9th inning that saves the game, but a previous inning might be the more important inning to bring in your horse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]georom4.I started a discussion on this subject a week or so ago.I agree with you.You don't play to be second best.All these Red Sox fans that are always happy with winning the wild card are a bunch of losers.I wonder if the Yankees and their fans feel this way.I think not.
    Posted by xmen[/QUOTE]

I would stop short of calling all those who are satisfied with a WC spot losers, but I do totally agree with you that true winners don't play, or are satisfied to be, second best.

A winning attitude which I still claim our team clearly lacks means you never give up. You refuse to lose!!!!!!  I am sure coming in second to Boston is totally unacceptable in New York. So why are we Sox fans, the team, and the FO satisfied to come in second place behind our hated rivals most years?

I don't care about 2004, and 2007, right now.  What have you guys done for me recently???  Sound selfish??????? Damn right it does!!!!  Just like these guys and their agents who demand these multi million dollar long term contracts.

If this team cannot find the guts to win this division based simply on professional pride, then at least find the guts to do it for your fans!!!!!!!   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Georom is a BDC plant whose job assignment is to generate traffic to the forum. It should be obvious to all of the regulars by now. Maybe the regulars are BDC enablers. Georom's other moniker is Bosox1941. Does the act sound familiar? You can fool some of the regulars ALL of the time. They must be lonely. He used to be the quack doctor also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Tito has thrown in the towel:
    [QUOTE]babying all of pitchers like they were just hatched ducklings and this lineup tonite without our 2 high priced superstars...I will say exactly what I said in 2009- YOU CAN'T BACK INTO THE PLAYOFFS....I was 100% correct then and I will be again- expect another short playoff experience....maybe then we can get rid of this albatross of a manager

You were 100% wrong. You quit on them in 2009, or do I need to remind you of your airplane crash analogy???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Live by the numbers, or die by the numbers.  

Tonight it's die by the numbers.  Every dog has his day and last night and tonight are two of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Georom is a BDC plant. There is no need to argue with a plant. That is what they want you to do. Sell newspapers, sell the forum. No difference at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Don't worry, Girardi has thrown in the towel, too. Have you seen his recent lineups and pitching moves?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Tito for class dunce! Where was your closer in the 8th inning last night? Sorry i'm not a Tito fan he makes all the wrong moves or none at all which is the same thing.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Last year, Paps came in a Set game in the 8th and wound up throwing 48 pitches, and was done for the year.

You willing to take that gamble to be up 8 games instead of only 7 games?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]From NESN.com: Gonzalez had started every game since July 29. Of the three games he has missed this season, two have seen Romero on the mound. Gonzalez and Crawford are a combined 3-for-23 (.130) with eight strikeouts against zero walks against Romero. The shuffle allows Dustin Pedroia to bat third for the first time since July 6, which was also the last time Boston faced Romero. Marco Scutaro jumps up to the second spot in the lineup, looking to extend an impressive four-game hitting streak. Scutaro is batting .563 (9-for-17) with nine RBIs during the surge. Kevin Youkilis takes Gonzalez's spot at first base. Jed Lowrie will start at third. Lowrie is 5-for-8 in his career against Romero. The top six hitters in the Boston batting order are 41-for-96 (.427) vs. the lefty
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

It's a no-brainer, imo.  I say this every year.  You figure out how many games off a player needs, then you time his games off to coincide with the pitchers he doesn't hit well.  So you then have one of two choices-

A-Don't give anyone any days off.
    B-Give them off at a time of your choosing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was wrong in 2009??? LOLOLOL    i was totally right about the playoffs (and you my friend were wrong about our chances)...you are referring to the Sox before they traded for VMART when they stumbling...which made all the difference (it allowed us to get swept in three games)....yea ok harness - you want to hold me to that - let's talk about your support for Cameron and your belief that Ells was better off in right field....will you own up to that? LOL  as a matter of fact lets put up my predictions to yours regarding wakefield, the playoffs, important games, the rotation....you pick it...what you will find is that not only do i have the huevos to make a prediction, but im usually right..actually closer to 100% -  you on the other hand are good at cutting at pasting and reacting to other people's posts with your usual mixture of meaningless minutia and personal pettiness....

I'm telling you that Tito has mailed it in for the season....are you going to comment on that? I told you that our manager doesnt have the intestinal fortitude to go for the division championship because that would require hard choices and he's a soft guy...so soft in fact that apparently our players can even get dressed without hurting themselves....I'm telling you that Wakefield will be in the playoff roster because even though he stinks, our manager is weak and wont tell veterans the cold hard truth (like to go retire). i ALSO MADE A PREDICTION (AN EASY ONE MIND YOU) that TampA will not pass us -

The question for you an all the other bootlicking apologists is why are you so willing to concede the division to the Yanks and not admit that our manager once again blew it? Another All-star break lead wasted...hmmm see a pattern? You guys always accuse Softy of putting his opinions before the team but you are just as bad. You would rather cover up for your manager that you defend to save face because you wont' admit that youre wrong about him...he is a bad field manager who cant manage a bullpen, cant condition his players properly, and most sadly, cant motivate his players to play consistent, dominate baseball (the way their payroll and talent says they should be playing)

I started this thread before the game and cited the starting lineup as proof...was i wrong? did i get lucky again? I guess i just gave up on them (of course what does that say about our manager who has already admitted that winning the division is just not the important)????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

i was totally right about the playoffs (and you my friend were wrong about our chances).

So you predicted that the team with the better record and the home field advantage would win?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The question for you an all the other bootlicking apologists is why are you so willing to concede the division to the Yanks and not admit that our manager once again blew it?

What's wrong with you people that you can't hold a conversation w/o insults?

The way DMac & CC are hitting, and given his lack of results against Romero, DMac is a much better bet against Romero than CC.

Do I call you a moronic Nazi for suggesting that CC should start tonight?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Geo and I disagree on a lot of things and I openly question anyone who throws in the towel on the Sox....like many fans have already it seems...HOWEVER, Tito is certainly showing the exact type of managing he's pulled in these situations. The bullpen debacle of yesterday reminded me of his complete white-flag, giving away an almost certain win to the Chicago Cubs in the milkman throwback jersey game. Albers left out there to die pitch after pitch, walk after walk, hit after hit...Bard, same thing last night. Let him get out of it after 40 pitches. Then bring in a slumping Albers to boot. Then sitting 2 regulars, or supposed to be regulars in a game the team needs to win...well needs to win if they want the AL Division title....I agree, Tito is playing for the wild card. I hope that's all the Sox need to get through to the WS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

There's a point where the predictable moves need to be changed up. This is one week that Tito could have, should have thought outside the box. Including, and I'm convinced I'm the only here who has noticed this, not allowing Salty to catch Miller, and refusing to let Tek catch Wakefield, which in both cases you can make cases that each pitcher showed breakthrough performances with the other catcher. All recently in a short sample size, but still don't fix the faucet if it doesn't need the fixing. Tito needs to flipflop his catcher routine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Then sitting 2 regulars, or supposed to be regulars in a game the team needs to win..

DMac is a much better bet tonight than CC imo.  He is 3-9 v Romero while CC is 2-17.

What do you base your reasoning on that CC was a better bet tonight?