Tito on Hot Seat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Tito on Hot Seat

I know the Coma-lovers (now an official love call with some in Boston) don't want to hear this, but many are thinking that Tito has run his course. Too many seed-spitting camera shots with Sox pitchers getting annihilated! Saw it again tonight with Miller. No-one out there to calm him down...no words of support...just a whoopin with Coma FINALLY, and usually, belated, warming up some poor soul in our bullpen. The chickens are coming home to roost here and Terry will go down if we continue to flame out. It's September now, no more excuses from the Tito-lovers will be acceptable. But go ahead, say your piece.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Tito on Hot Seat

He's making $5 million to run a successful baseball team and you are getting paid nothing to make stupid comments. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNation4Ever. Show RedSoxNation4Ever's posts

please describe any facts verifying "many are thinking."  Beyond a few closet trolls here, and people that like to point fingers, I haven't heard an outcrying against a very successful manager.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Tito on Hot Seat:
    [QUOTE]I know the Coma-lovers (now an official love call with some in Boston) don't want to hear this, but many are thinking that Tito has run his course. Too many seed-spitting camera shots with Sox pitchers getting annihilated! Saw it again tonight with Miller. No-one out there to calm him down...no words of support...just a whoopin with Coma FINALLY, and usually, belated, warming up some poor soul in our bullpen. The chickens are coming home to roost here and Terry will go down if we continue to flame out. It's September now, no more excuses from the Tito-lovers will be acceptable. But go ahead, say your piece.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you saw it 'again.'  But they have the third best record in baseball, they're post-season bound, and he's got two WS wins and a terrific winning percentage.  So who cares if you think you can second guess him?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Listen to your friends, or whomever you trust. The worm is turning here. Those whose minds are closed or made up will continue to live in 2004. No-one hangs around forever...even Joe Torre, who was beloved in NY, got moved. Listen.

In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat:
    [QUOTE] please describe any facts verifying "many are thinking."  Beyond a few closet trolls here, and people that like to point fingers, I haven't heard an outcrying against a very successful manager.
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

The Coma-lovers are fighting mad...I wish the Sox were! 10-0 on Sept 2nd...not acceptable!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]Listen to your friends, or whomever you trust. The worm is turning here. Those whose minds are closed or made up will continue to live in 2004. No-one hangs around forever...even Joe Torre, who was beloved in NY, got moved. Listen. In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat :

Listen to your friends?  What are you talking about?  2004?  What are you talking about?  They're headed for the post season (like, er, this year, know what I mean?)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]The Coma-lovers are fighting mad...I wish the Sox were! 10-0 on Sept 2nd...not acceptable!

It still just counts as one loss.  I don't think you know much about baseball.  10-0 can happen to anyone, at any time.  Great teams lose 60 games a year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Its very common for a playoff team in and out of first place by a couple games to be fed up with it's manager.......

Let the Red Sox lose 90 games.....then maybe he will be on the hot seat.

I'm sure history will prove me wrong, but has a manager ever been fired mid season after leading his team to a division title???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Listen to your friends, or whomever you trust."

My friends don't run the Red Sox and I doubt your friends do either. 

For Tito to be fired, our team would have to miss the playoffs. 

Here's a clue for you: Andrew Miller isn't that great. Are you honestly saying that if Tito had pumped Miller up he wouldn't have stunk it up so bad? You have to be kidding. 

Here's the deal with Tito: I think he bears some blame for the slow start the team had coming out of spring training, but as long as Tito gets the team into the playoffs, his job is very secure - no matter what your buddies are telling you. It doesn't take a genius to see that the biggest Sox vulnerabilities are personnel - with Buch out, clearly pitching from #3 slot on is a concern. Francona can''t go "coach em up" and fix that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

John Henry spent a fortune last winter on 2 superstars. He has trusted Coma through all of his misfires. Anyone can manage 90 wins out of a team this loaded. It's the last 10 wins that make champions. I worry that the Coma-lovers will be making excuses in 5 weeks. Fu is a classic example of the kool aid swillers. Hope he's right, but insolence doesn't win games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Listen to your friends, or whomever you trust. The worm is turning here.Those whose minds are closed or made up will continue to live in 2004. No-one hangs around forever...even Joe Torre, who was beloved in NY, got moved. Listen. In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat :

I thought the worm was turning in TX last week.
    Must be a restless worm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This thread is ridiculous; you're talking about a HOF Mgr. Remember last yr when a team put together with Scotch Tape won about 90 games?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Tito on Hot Seat:
    [QUOTE]I know the Coma-lovers (now an official love call with some in Boston) don't want to hear this, but many are thinking that Tito has run his course. Too many seed-spitting camera shots with Sox pitchers getting annihilated! Saw it again tonight with Miller. No-one out there to calm him down...no words of support...just a whoopin with Coma FINALLY, and usually, belated, warming up some poor soul in our bullpen. The chickens are coming home to roost here and Terry will go down if we continue to flame out. It's September now, no more excuses from the Tito-lovers will be acceptable. But go ahead, say your piece.

Why don't you grow up and stop calling him "Coma"? If you think that helps your case, you would be wrong. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

We need a tougher manager!  Someone who breathes fire and craps thunder.  That's what the players need nowadays!  Bring back Dick Williams! Oh, wait a minute...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

he sure did a great job of motivating the players last night

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

The real problem here is NOT that Francona may cost us a game once in a while.  Half of our starting pitching staff has been on the DL most of the year, and the FO did little to help. We have a line up that scores 10 runs a game one day, and then gets shut out the next day. The Yankees have been relentlessly consistent all year, and no matter what the most Sox fans would like to admit, right now sure look to me anyway like they have much better starting pitching options then we currently do.  Bottom line Tito he needs to be perfect, and simply put he like all mangers is not.
      If I were to blame Tito for anything I would have to say a really good manager finds a way to instill a winning attitude in it's team. You need that attitued to help you score those key runs at key times. I just don't see that kind of emotion in our team.  If all a winning attitude gave us all season long was a few extra key hits in close games we would have a 3 or 4 game divison lead now instead of once again find ourselves trailing the hated Yankees like the very well behaved second place team we seem to settle for each year. 
      Clearly we will make it to the play offs and I guess that's good but do we really think our pitching as it currently is matches up with New York's?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mahones17. Show Mahones17's posts

Forget about Tito on the hot seat, that's asinine.  Miller's on the hot seat and Curt Young should be right next to him.  How much do the Sox miss John Farrell?  I don't recall the Sox starting pitching ever giving up as many first inning runs as they have this year.  It seems like every game I watch the Sox they're behind after the first inning.  If it was just one pitcher, then I'd say, "OK it's the pitcher."  But every Sox starter seems to (I don't have the stats to back this.  If someone does, please enlighten me!), have the first inning as their worst inning of the game.  Whatever they're doing to get ready in the bullpen and/or between starts IS NOT WORKING!  iT'S TIME TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!  Mr. Young, you are the pitching coach - any ideas?  Lester throwing 40+ pitches in the first inning against NY is not acceptable.  Beckett gave up 5 runs a couple starts ago in the first inning vs. Texas (I think).  If I were at Fenway last night, paying top dollar for everything, I would have been POd big time.  It was bad enough watching this debacle on TV.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]The real problem here is NOT that Francona may cost us a game once in a while.  Half of our starting pitching staff has been on the DL most of the year, and the FO did little to help. We have a line up that scores 10 runs a game one day, and then gets shut out the next day. The Yankees have been relentlessly consistent all year, and no matter what the most Sox fans would like to admit, right now sure look to me anyway like they have much better starting pitching options then we currently do.  Bottom line Tito he needs to be perfect, and simply put he like all mangers is not.   If I were to blame Tito for anything I would have to say a really good manager finds a way to instill a winning attitude in it's team. You need that attitued to help you score those key runs at key times. I just don't see that kind of emotion in our team.  If all a winning attitude gave us all season long was a few extra key hits in close games we would have a 3 or 4 game divison lead now instead of once again find ourselves trailing the hated Yankees like the very well behaved second place team we seem to settle for each year.    Clearly we will make it to the play offs and I guess that's good but do we really think our pitching as it currently is matches up with New York's?
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]

Once again a 95+ win team doesn't have a "WINNING ATTITUDE" instilled?  The whole lot of you concern trolls are insane!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarhill2000. Show scarhill2000's posts

[QUOTE] please describe any facts verifying "many are thinking."  Beyond a few closet trolls here, and people that like to point fingers, I haven't heard an outcrying against a very successful manager.
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever[/QUOTE]

Francona is very successful and he appears to be a player's manager.  Francona's problem is that he may not be a good game day manager.  He often makes moves too late and often seems to give games away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

[QUOTE]Forget about Tito on the hot seat, that's asinine.  Miller's on the hot seat and Curt Young should be right next to him.  How much do the Sox miss John Farrell?  I don't recall the Sox starting pitching ever giving up as many first inning runs as they have this year.  It seems like every game I watch the Sox they're behind after the first inning.  If it was just one pitcher, then I'd say, "OK it's the pitcher."  But every Sox starter seems to (I don't have the stats to back this.  If someone does, please enlighten me!), have the first inning as their worst inning of the game.  Whatever they're doing to get ready in the bullpen and/or between starts IS NOT WORKING!  iT'S TIME TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!  Mr. Young, you are the pitching coach - any ideas?  Lester throwing 40+ pitches in the first inning against NY is not acceptable.  Beckett gave up 5 runs a couple starts ago in the first inning vs. Texas (I think).  If I were at Fenway last night, paying top dollar for everything, I would have been POd big time.  It was bad enough watching this debacle on TV.
    Posted by Mahones17[/QUOTE]
    absolutely agree.whatever they're doing to get starters ready ain't working and hasn't for a long time.just reinforces that the coaches/manager in-game skills are poor

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tito on Hot Seat : Once again a 95+ win team doesn't have a "WINNING ATTITUDE" instilled?  The whole lot of you concern trolls are insane!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

still a long way from 95+ wins

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Francona's contract runs out after this year.     The team holds 2 option years.

25. signed extension with Boston 2/24/08
  26. 09:$3.5M, 10:$3.75M, 11:$4M, 12:$4.25M club option, 13:$4.5M club option ($0.75M buyout on options)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Just another one of those weird posts/threads blaming Francona for Miller's disaster.  Both the catcher and the pitching coach went to the mound in the first inning.  If Francona had gone out there, Miller would have been gone.  As it was, he "only" gave up 2 runs in the first, but they came off of two walks (8 of his first 10 pitches were balls), a balk moving them to 2d and 3d, an infield single (should have been an out) that scored one and moved the other to 3B, and a sac fly.  All self-inflicted, all despite both the catcher and pitching coach going out there. 

Completely forgotten by the OP is that the Sox hitters, now with their "big five" (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz) back together, could only manage two singles and no runs for the game.  That was Francona's fault too?