To all those who bashed me and called me out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    [QUOTE]Hmm, the post just seems way to self-aggrandizing. I personally did not call you out for any of your predictions, and congratulate you for being right, but see a crack in your forum character for feeling the need to list all that were correct. Should you not consider a new screen name? Nostradamus possibly?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Hey, like I said, I could see how this would look very pompous.  But again, not meant for you; meant for those who called me out directly.  Also, again, I really didn't predict anything; just some commone sense plus rationale thinking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

On September 1, the Sox were in first place which means they overcoame their slow start.  AGon was a monster in June and July and was a primary reason they were in first place.

Francona was not part of the problem - Lackey and Beckett were the problems, plus Buh having a broken bone in his back.

The dime that Theo would have spent on a lefty reliever was spent on Bedard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from azteck. Show azteck's posts

francomma had the best team money could buy and he still couldn't get into the playoffs whoever said franconna is a great manager all you have to do is look at there payroll the thhird most costly team in baseball and he still couldnt win how great a manager is that! if he couldn't win with that payroll how in the world can he be expected to win in a small bankrolled team he can't like the rolling stones song we had the best friends money can buy! he just didn't know how to use them

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

So, assuming that you were a Sox fan pre-2004, did you accurately predict their championships as well? 

I'm going to guess you were negative then too and didn't see the great wins coming. So, you go negative all the time and sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. 

I'm not sure why other fans piled on you but I have noticed that you have been particularly insufferable and trollish when it comes to pounding on JD Drew, who in retrospect is far from Theo's worst signings. 

You were right about a lot of things on your list, but Scutaro runs the base path without stopping in Baltimore, the Yanks manage to get the Rays out instead of letting them score eight runs in two innings, and suddenly the Sox are in the playoffs and you don't seem nearly as right anymore. 

Coming in here and chestpounding during a time when the team is not only down but looking at a grim couple of years ahead is not especially becoming. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]On September 1, the Sox were in first place which means they overcoame their slow start.  AGon was a monster in June and July and was a primary reason they were in first place. Francona was not part of the problem - Lackey and Beckett were the problems, plus Buh having a broken bone in his back. The dime that Theo would have spent on a lefty reliever was spent on Bedard.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Perhaps temporarily they "overcame" a slow start but losing those games (which count in the standings on Sept 28th) did in fact, cost them the division.  They lost the division in April and the WC in September.  And from what we know now, the slow start and poor finish were attributed, at least in part, to Francona. 

Jim Rice called ST a "SPA" and Terry admitted he lost control of them in September.  Both matters attributed to Terry.

Although in fairness, I still think that Theo is more responsible.  Perhaps not so much for 2011 but it looks like Theo created a real mess for the next few years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]So, assuming that you were a Sox fan pre-2004, did you accurately predict their championships as well?  I'm going to guess you were negative then too and didn't see the great wins coming. So, you go negative all the time and sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong.  I'm not sure why other fans piled on you but I have noticed that you have been particularly insufferable and trollish when it comes to pounding on JD Drew, who in retrospect is far from Theo's worst signings.  You were right about a lot of things on your list, but Scutaro runs the base path without stopping in Baltimore, the Yanks manage to get the Rays out instead of letting them score eight runs in two innings, and suddenly the Sox are in the playoffs and you don't seem nearly as right anymore.  Coming in here and chestpounding during a time when the team is not only down but looking at a grim couple of years ahead is not especially becoming. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Since 1976-7 and I've been saying they would win the WS many times since then including 2004.

Sure, if Scutaro, one of 5 guys who kept playing hard (Pedey, Paps, Jake, and Aceves the others) doesn't mess up MAYBE they win.  But when you give away sooo many games it makes one mistake seem so much worse.

The issue is that there hasn't been much to be positive about in a few years now.

Again, no chest pounding, just giving it back to a few folks in particular.  Not you...they know who they are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I don't have the crystal ball that you have.  But I have to assume that even if the Sox had not gone 0-6 to start the season and been in first place on Sept. 1, their record for September would have been the same.

You can't assume that if they had gone 6-0, their record for the next 156 would have been same. 

That fact of the matter is, despite their 0-6 start, they were in first place of September 1st.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out : Hey, like I said, I could see how this would look very pompous.  But again, not meant for you; meant for those who called me out directly.  Also, again, I really didn't predict anything; just some commone sense plus rationale thinking.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
     I don't see this as self aggrandizing at all. This is not a fan appreciation site. Never was. It's a place to have and offer differing points of view. I'm a yankees fan, so I tend not to ever say anything (too) negative about the Sox for obvious reasons; but really, would you only want to read pages and pages of glowing predictions and unrealistic monikers ....... like :"six aces", "best hitter in baseball", "most feared lineup since the 1927 Yankees" --
    I'd rather have someone who sticks his neck out and then takes a victory lap for it, then to read the same flowery pronouncements ad nauseum.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I don't have the crystal ball that you have.  But I have to assume that even if the Sox had not gone 0-6 to start the season and been in first place on Sept. 1, their record for September would have been the same. You can't assume that if they had gone 6-0, their record for the next 156 would have been same.  That fact of the matter is, despite their 0-6 start, they were in first place of September 1st.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

So I suppose you could make the arguement that they lost the Wild Card in September since had they gone 2-4 they would have made it? 

I guess the real point is that that bad start did cost them, albeit it not as much as September did but

1)  Blind fans (and Jon Lester) chose to ingore April

2)  How they played in April showed that they were capable of doing what they did in September

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndefatigableSoxMan. Show IndefatigableSoxMan's posts

[QUOTE]Without really doing the hard analysis, my inital thought is that Theo is more responsible for the mess than Francona.  While it's true that Theo gave Francona talent (a) I think the payroll was misallocated (too much on a speedy left fielder and not enough on arms) and (b) a mere assemblence of talent does not a team-make.

I called Theo Epstein out in 2005, and the Theo Chicks ran me off BDC for it. Here we are six years later and Law's word is his bond.

Ding Ding Ding!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Like I have said, I pull hard for a team that plays clean, smart ball and who play hard.  And we haven't seen that for some time now.

Again, the name of the thread states the purpose of it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You omitted this gem from April:

Re: J-Lo needs to bat 2nd!

posted at 4/17/2011 5:44 PM EDT
    First: 6/4/2005
    Last: 10/3/2011
    I'd like to see Lowrie bat 2nd and Pedey leading off and then have Ellsbury and Craw batting 8th and 9th respectively. Catcher bat's 7th, Drew 6th, and the bashers 3-4-5

Pedey R
    Lowrie S
    AGone L
    Youk R
    Ortiz L
    Drew/Cameron/MacDonald L/R
    Salty/Tek S
    Ellsbury L
    Crawford L

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Not quite...that was not my ideal line up.  Taken out of context.  It was most likely a compromise to what Francona was running out there and it must have been when he took Ellsbury out of the lead off hole.  With that one exception it's the right line up - - - I have never bashed Ellsbury and always wanted him lead off.  Again, it was most likely to be meant as an improvement over what Francona was doing and if he insisted on not batting Jake lead off.

But thanks for proving my point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Not quite...that was not my ideal line up.  Taken out of context.  It was most likely a compromise to what Francona was running out there and it must have been when he took Ellsbury out of the lead off hole.  With that one exception it's the right line up - - - I have never bashed Ellsbury and always wanted him lead off.  Again, it was most likely to be meant as an improvement over what Francona was doing and if he insisted on not batting Jake lead off. But thanks for proving my point.
    Here is the context:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a48a6daa8-5239-4913-bbc4-93cd9ae37470&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:48a6daa8-5239-4913-bbc4-93cd9ae37470Post:e2b662f9-4dda-4439-beb6-8353d8a8c83f

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

right "until Ellsbury gets hot" which he did which I knew he would

sometimes a guy needs a short breather from batting in the top half of the order but those breathers are strictly temporary

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So let's see, you don't think Pedey could handle lead off or Lowrie 2nd or Agone 3rd or Youk 4th or Ortiz 5 or Drew 6th or Salty 7th and you probably think Crawford isn't a #9 hitter....talk about negative - that's 8/9 assuming you honestly believe I think Jake should have been 8 and not 1.......nice try though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Every Tito and Theo basher was going to be right eventually, on the same principle that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Translated:  your time comes around, even if you could be wrong.  Simply because field managers and GMs tend to wear our their welcomes. Now it's happened to Tito.  Was surprised, but not surprised, that you turned out to be right, Andrew, but I knew that you would be right eventually and now is your time. 

Still, I credit Tito with successfully wrangling certain elements in the clubhouse - the same elements that took advantage of him. 

Was also a bit surprised that Tito didn't adapt - he could have used DeMarlo Hale or some other clubhouse presence as the enforcer - the bad cop to his good cop. 

But the fact that Tito didn't adapt - maybe he didn't try - indicates that he was worn out from the job and needed a break. Fair enough. 

He also felt that the FO and ownership didn't have his back. Huh and harumph. At least John Henry returned to his yacht in time to watch his soccer team win. (I am so happy for him.) 

To me Tito represented a good balance of sabermetrics and old school. Tito's place in RS history is secure and I will miss him because, yeah, he managed most of the personalities very well the vast majority of the time. 

And just as an aside, I still wonder if beer had a role in Josh Beckett's trip-and-fall off that practice mound in Toronto? Was he drinking Molson's Canadian or Sleeman's India Pale Ale? If so, then there really are consequences to his actions from drinking on his so-called off-day.  Was this the straw that broke Tito's back?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Nah, this is my first one and unlike some people, I waited until the season was actually over.  I realize it is still a little over the top, but the more I thought about the season and things that were said here, I thought a summary was called for.

How convienant.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Andrewmitch...you were complaining when they were successful........didn't see you saying anything at end of year then....piling on????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndefatigableSoxMan. Show IndefatigableSoxMan's posts

[QUOTE]Every Tito and Theo basher was going to be right eventually, on the same principle that even a broken clock is right twice a day. Translated:  your time comes around, even if you could be wrong.  Simply because field managers and GMs tend to wear our their welcomes. Now it's happened to Tito.  Was surprised, but not surprised, that you turned out to be right, Andrew, but I knew that you would be right eventually and now is your time.  Still, I credit Tito with successfully wrangling certain elements in the clubhouse - the same elements that took advantage of him.  Was also a bit surprised that Tito didn't adapt - he could have used DeMarlo Hale or some other clubhouse presence as the enforcer - the bad cop to his good cop.  But the fact that Tito didn't adapt - maybe he didn't try - indicates that he was worn out from the job and needed a break. Fair enough.  He also felt that the FO and ownership didn't have his back. Huh and harumph. At least John Henry returned to his yacht in time to watch his soccer team win. (I am so happy for him.)  To me Tito represented a good balance of sabermetrics and old school. Tito's place in RS history is secure and I will miss him because, yeah, he managed most of the personalities very well the vast majority of the time.  And just as an aside, I still wonder if beer had a role in Josh Beckett's trip-and-fall off that practice mound in Toronto? Was he drinking Molson's Canadian or Sleeman's India Pale Ale? If so, then there really are consequences to his actions from drinking on his so-called off-day.  Was this the straw that broke Tito's back?  
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

I've been right about Theo needing to go since 2005.

Scoreboard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from werk45. Show werk45's posts

I was wrong about my ex not cheating on me. 

I was wrong about drugs not having an impact on my successfulness.

I was wrong about taking out an additional Home loan.

I was wrong about Forums being cooler than friends. 

I will be wrong if i swear off rooting next year.

Take the good with the bad. Happy to be alive.

Peace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    [QUOTE]I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2) I was right that Crawford would not come around (said in May) I was right (then wrong but then quickly right again) that the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010) I was right about Drew (said in early 2009) I was right that Lester is not an ace or big game pitcher (said for about 2 years now) I was right that the team (w/ few exceptions) had given up (said in late August; right after the yankee series) I was right that Francona was part of the problem (being saying that since 2005) I was right that Theo would go all year without bothering to spend a dime on a bona fide left handed reliever (said in April) I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre and VMart and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract

It is your boorish attitude that gets you bashed.  For example even in this thread you said you had been saying since 2005 Francona was part of the problem. They won a WS in 2007.  He wasn't part of the problem then, but he was this year.  Things in sports are fluid. What is correct one year may not b incorrect the next.  For example you just said signing Agon was a mistake.  If they win it all next year was it still a mistake?  Everything is not black and white.  If you can't admit that then why would you expect anyone to kowtow to you now?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The more I read, the more I think this thread is like the girl at Mardi Gras lifting up her shirt for beads.  Look at me, look at me!  I love people who take this place so seeriously...attention wh0res.  Threads like this make this place a joke. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]The more I read, the more I think this thread is like the girl at Mardi Gras lifting up her shirt for beads.  Look at me, look at me!  I love people who take this place so seeriously...attention wh0res.  Threads like this make this place a joke. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

It is pretty bizarre when posters put up a post that points out just how much they know about baseball.  Insecure much?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Andrewmitch, congratulations.  The big I-Told-You-So winner of one of the worst moments in Sox history.  You are the man.