Too Much Emphasis on AL East Standings and Not Focused On Performance.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Too Much Emphasis on AL East Standings and Not Focused On Performance.....

The following article was posted on WEEI's website and the comments made by Tim Wakefield, with regards to the AL East Standings are rather concerning and if other player's on this Red Sox team share the same feelings such opinions may very well be the demise of the 2011 season.

I wish that one veteran of this organization would come forward and simply state the obvious, "At this point in the season we stink as a team. We are collectively showing a complete lack of passion and commitment to playing as a winning ballclub".

Looking at the standings and commenting that we are ok because no one is running away with the division is incomprehensible and an insult to the very fans that support the team's existence. Regardless of our place in the standings, 5 games or 50 games out of first place, this team, as constructed, should be running away with the division and instead the team, almost to a man, is simply finding new excuses daily to support the team's lackluster performance thus far and commitment to playing as a winning, committed ball club. It appears to me that players on this team believe all of the pre-season hype that the 2011 Red Sox team is the annointed WS Champion and that the performance on the field will not, or does not, factor into the equation.

I made the comment prior to the season that regardless of how the team lined up on paper that nothing had been accomplished yet and that championships have never been won by sportswriter and fan expectations but rather by the performance put forth on the field. So far, the team on the field hasn't come close to living up to the pre-season billing and nothing that I have seen leads me to believe that all of the moving parts will become a cohesive winning unit anytime soon. A winning streak here and there won't cut it. To be a champion requires winning the games that you are expected to win and most of those that are questionable. I don't like the tone that is being cast from this team thus far and hopefully the direction takes a 180 degree turn immediately.

Read the following article, in particular the comments made by Wakefield, and draw your own conclusion. In my opinion someone needs to come forward and become the true leader of this team and take control of a slowly sinking ship. It appears that team chemistry is not there and no one is willing to come forward and fire up the troops. Come on guys, wake up!!!

Wakefield: 'Wouldn't push the panic button'

Red Sox starter Tim Wakefield, following his team's 9-2 loss to the Twins that dropped Boston's record to 14-18 on the season, said that it remained premature to panic about the club. He noted that, while the team's sub-.500 record is unimpressive, its five-game deficit in the American League East remains manageable.

"I think we need to play a little better but you can’t look at our record technically. You just look at where we are in the standings in the East -- we’re only five games out and it’s May. It’s not like we’re 10 or 12 games out," said Wakefield, who gave up eight runs (six earned) in 4 1/3 innings. "We’re still in the thick of things, even though we’re in last place. We’re still only five games out. There’s been a number of times we’ve been in July and been in second place five games out of first. I don’t think it’s an issue.

"I think we need to play better," he added. "Just, we need to fire on all cylinders but I wouldn’t push the panic button because technically we’re only five games out of first place. It’s not that far."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Too Much Emphasis on AL East Standings and Not Focused On Performance.....

Their record and game results speaks for itself - they are a bad team making way too many mistakes and bad decisions and they have no business of looking at the standing until they can start playing smart ball and be as hungry as they were in 2007 (they haven't been the same since a hungrier and smarter team - the mighty little Rays - knocked them out of contention ever since)........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

I know that there are probably various ways to interpret Wakefield's comments which I posted in the OP but if this team feels that they just needs to maintain the status quo based on the performance of those above them in the standings then what happens if one of the teams ahead of them gets on a winning roll?

There is nothing guaranteed in baseball and no clear indicators that would lead me to believe that if such a situation presented itself that the Red Sox could overtake said team. Sitting on your backside waiting for good things to happen rarely, if ever, works. The time to make the move out of the doldrums is now ...........or never. Whick player(s) is going to begin to show the grit, determination and dirt doggedness to make it happen?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xorsed. Show xorsed's posts

As you said, there are many ways of interpreting his comments, but I think Wake's just trying to put a positive spin on things. Growing up, people always told me that being positive is better than being negative.
     The same goes for this team. If they try to be positive and optimistic about their position it's going to be better than trying to be negative and say that they've already lost it all in MAY! I agree that they need a kick start. They're frustrating to watch right now, but I would be even more frustrated with them if they gave up like so many seem to have already.

GO RED SOX!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Too Much Emphasis on AL East Standings and Not Focused On Performance.....:
    [QUOTE]As you said, there are many ways of interpreting his comments, but I think Wake's just trying to put a positive spin on things. Growing up, people always told me that being positive is better than being negative.  The same goes for this team. If they try to be positive and optimistic about their position it's going to be better than trying to be negative and say that they've already lost it all in MAY! I agree that they need a kick start. They're frustrating to watch right now, but I would be even more frustrated with them if they gave up like so many seem to have already. GO RED SOX!!!!
    Posted by xorsed[/QUOTE]

Well said,I agree 100%.Although they're not playing well now,the point is,they're not that far behind the AL east leaders.It's just a fact.There's 130 games left,still plenty of time to get into a groove and do some damage. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

I agree with the 130 games left assessment but getting into the groove requires an initial spark and thus far I don't see the spark plug. That is my concern. Someone needs to become the engine that could and the engine appears to be missing.

With me it's more about how and when they are going to turn things around rather than "IF" they can get things moving forward. Someone needs to come forward as the leader of this ship and it needs to be a player. Francona isn't the type of manager to ignite the fire and turn things around. It's not a slight or bashing of him but it is my current perception of the situation.

Youk and/or Pedroia have been the guys in recent years to ignite the fuse but so far appear eerily silent in that regard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stengel. Show Stengel's posts

In Response to Re: Too Much Emphasis on AL East Standings and Not Focused On Performance.....:
    [QUOTE]Their record and game results speaks for itself - they are a bad team making way too many mistakes and bad decisions and they have no business of looking at the standing until they can start playing smart ball and be as hungry as they were in 2007 (they haven't been the same since a hungrier and smarter team - the mighty little Rays - knocked them out of contention ever since)........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

You can't argue with the facts. They are bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I'm sure he will get closer to his career averages, but Crawford has been nothing short of an overhyped overreach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure he will get closer to his career averages, but Crawford has been nothing short of an overhyped overreach.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

I advocated strongly for the Crawford signing but if anyone had told me prior to the season that the player (Crawford) would be performing at the level that he has thus far I would have said that the comment was outrageous and the individual was full-blown nuts. I don't know what else to say. The whole team's performance thus far has me in total amazement, and not in the positive sense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stengel. Show Stengel's posts

The media does that all of the time. It causes a huge disappointment to baseball fans. I couldn't agree with you more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

CC ain't the only liability right now.  Two very important players, Pedroia and Youkilis, are also not pulling their weight.  Ditto Drew and both catchers.  Ortiz is OK, but not a big threat any more.  Only Gonzalez, Lowrie, and Ellsbury are actually hitting the ball these days. 

The Sox have in my judgment a weak bullpen.  Bard and Pap aren't as good as they have been, but are easily the best.  Everyone else is suspect except Albers. 

The starters are a mixed bag, but I think they are better than last year, especially Beckett and Matsuzaka.  Even Lackey has pitched some good games. 
    I kind of agree with Wakefield.  It's way too early too panic.  Besides, the players are already putting a lot of pressure on themselves.  A perfect example was Cameron's attempt to take third on that wild pitch misplay by LA.  Up to then, the Sox hitting was dismal, so he took a chance, but the loose ball hit the umpire instead of going further away from the diamond, and a good play got him.  Who knew Crawford would then hit a double to left center? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Cameron was already in scoring position, and the hitting the umpire is a very lame excuse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stengel. Show Stengel's posts

Playball's interpretation of what was said in the article is spot on.