Trade deadline has come and gone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Trade deadline has come and gone

So the Sox acquired Matt Thornton and jake peavy for Iglesias, Jacobs, Montas, Rondon, Wendelken...

So, are we a better team? Why? or Why not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Trade deadline has come and gone

Maybe short term, but the question is long term. Trading away a 23 year old, for a 32 year old pitcher who's one pitch away from TJ surgery, is a risk, apparently BC thought was worth taking. They decided to go for it all. Only time will tell, as with most trades, paw. right fit, player, team, injuries etc. Did it fill a need for pitching, yes. did it leave a void defensively, yes. Some think it's a mistake, some think it's a good move. We'll see, soon enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

So the Sox acquired Matt Thornton and jake peavy for Iglesias, Jacobs, Montas, Rondon, Wendelken...

Will this offense hit against good pitching? So far this year they haven't. So how does not adding a little more punch affect  them in second half? Are they happy with not doing well against good pitching. Facing TB with HOLT, DREW and no power outfield could do them in????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

Will this offense hit against good pitching? So far this year they haven't. So how does not adding a little more punch affect  them in second half? Are they happy with not doing well against good pitching. Facing TB with HOLT, DREW and no power outfield could do them in????

[/QUOTE]

Most teams dont hit great pitching. That shouldnt be a surprise. The Sox have beat, and lost to some solid pitchers this year. They are no different from other teams who go up against guys like Scherzer, Hernandez, Price, Moore, Verlander, etc...Apparently theyve done good enough to have one of the best records in baseball and top offenses in baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

What's funny is none of the baseball gurus thought the Red Sox would be no more than a last place team. This team has achieved far more than what was expected. Barring any kind of a collapse I think they will be in the hunt come October. They are a young team and got players that will only do better. Starting pitching got better with Peavy. To me I do believe the Red Sox have a future for the left side of the infield. I see Bogearts coming up and contributing. Can't worry about Tampa, I think they are due for a cooling off period since they still have a west coast swing coming up at the end of August. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Maybe the answer could be a faint  YES... for the shortest term... but we have  thrown away an above average for at least a decade... 

Another but, trades made are  not enough. We need  much more for bullpen and especially a hitter behind Papi...

The main spotlight: Buch...That might justify the Aparicio sacrifice...( many posters might not understand this, but it is my honest opinion...)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Maybe short term, but not long term. Trading away a 23 year old, for a 32 year old pitcher who's one pitch away from TJ surgery, is a risk, apparently BC thought was worth taking. They decided to go for it all. Only time will tell, as with most trades, paw. right fit, player, team, injuries etc. Did it fill a need for pitching, yes. did it leave a void defensively, yes. Some think it's a mistake, some think it's a good move. We'll see, soon enough.

Arnt all pitchers 1 pitch away from TJ surgery J-bay???? I really like the trade for Jake Peavy, the sox have alot of quality SS options coming up through the minors that will be ready soon so it makes iggy expendable, it's also selling high on a guy so that makes me feel good about this as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

What's funny is none of the baseball gurus thought the Red Sox would be no more than a last place team. This team has achieved far more than what was expected. Barring any kind of a collapse I think they will be in the hunt come October. They are a young team and got players that will only do better. Starting pitching got better with Peavy. To me I do believe the Red Sox have a future for the left side of the infield. I see Bogearts coming up and contributing. Can't worry about Tampa, I think they are due for a cooling off period since they still have a west coast swing coming up at the end of August. 

speaking of the Rays...I think they might cool off a bit because of theis...

TampaBayTimesSports @TBTimes_Sports 

Tampa Bay Rays place All-Star pitcher Matt Moore on the disabled list with elbow soreness. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/all-star-moore-placed-on-dl-with-elbow-soreness/2134161  #Rays @MattyMoe55

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

The addressed a pitching need with Peavy. I am concerned that we aren't getting the full story with Clay though.

Team will now have to find it within themselves to work the counts on these good pitchers....especially the Rays......I'd like to see them a little more patient at the plate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Maybe short term, but not long term. Trading away a 23 year old, for a 32 year old pitcher who's one pitch away from TJ surgery, is a risk, apparently BC thought was worth taking. They decided to go for it all. Only time will tell, as with most trades, paw. right fit, player, team, injuries etc. Did it fill a need for pitching, yes. did it leave a void defensively, yes. Some think it's a mistake, some think it's a good move. We'll see, soon enough.

Arnt all pitchers 1 pitch away from TJ surgery J-bay???? I really like the trade for Jake Peavy, the sox have alot of quality SS options coming up through the minors that will be ready soon so it makes iggy expendable, it's also selling high on a guy so that makes me feel good about this as well.

They are res, which is why I never like spending/trading, too much for them. The other side of the coin is, it's pitching, pitching, pitching, especially in the post season. Can't win without it. There may be more to this trade than we know, regarding Buch and possible off field issues with Iggy, we don't, and may never know. Regardless, I see both sides of the argument of the trade and hope it was the right move, for all concerned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think it's a great trade.  We're better this year, and next.  We also got Brayan Villarreal in the deal, who is wild, but only 26 years old and throws 97MPH.  

If Peavy plays out his contract with the Sox, we could also get a 1st round draft pick out of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

We have the second most runs per game in the AL.  The Sox are only 6th in runs allowed per game.  They are certainly weaker in pitching then hitting.  Pitching also become much more important in the playoffs. 

As far as Iglesis, he was not their future at SS or 3B.  Those title belong to WMB or Ceccini at 3B and Bogarts at SS.  Iglesis is a fringe MLB player overall, and is unlikely to be more than that.  It is not out of the range of possibility that he wouldn't make the MLB roster next year at all.  They dealt from excess to fill a weakness.  With Peavy, Lester, Dempster, Dubront, and Lackey they have as deep a starting staff as anyone, if not the most talented.  Even an injury can be overcome as Buch is now.  It is looking like reports say he is close to mound work again.  A rehab assignment would be right behind.  Take it slow.  With Peavy now there is no rush.  Both this year and next depth is not an issue in SP anymore.  Do they have a true ace?  Not unless Lester or Buch step back up and pitch that way again.  I would also argue this staff is full of 2-4 starters.  I can live with that.  Bring it on.  We have as much chance to win this as any other team at this point.  Can we really ask for more than an equal chance?