Re: Trade for Justin Ruggiano?

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Fish are looking for a trade partner..He fits the bill for what we need. Hes arb number looks to be about 1.8M for 2014. He does very well in a platoon role. hes played most of his games in CF, but can play all OF positions. is a RHH with some pop (18HR in 128games last year/ 13 in 91games in 2012).

He has some pop southpaw but not much of an OBP.

[/QUOTE]

Hes a platoon guy that can play ftif needed. Not everyone is going to have a 360OBP. he has an .834OPS vs LHP. Thats pretty darn good.

[/QUOTE]

Ruggiano's OBP took a hit mainly due to a drop in average due to an expanded role beyond a platoon guy / 4th outfielder.  He only hit 222 last year, but hit 313 with a 374 OBP the year before.  He is the outfield equivalent to Mike Carp IMO and is why they would match up well as trade partners.  We also have Nava who can backup first base as we saw last year as well as Big Papi if we really needed.  We don't have anyone to backup Victorino and Bradley besides each player switching places... but we need a third guy on the rotation to make that happen.

Say if Victorino needs a day off and Bradley slides over to right... we honestly don't have a single CF on the roster right now that can get that job done.  I have been very much against dropping Carp, but this is the type of deal where we would get a comparible hitter back that fits a very real need on a budget.

Steamer and Oliver projections have him between the two performance

Steamer 250 Avg, 318 OBP, 10 HR, 315 AB, 1.1 WAR

Oliver 253 Avg, 330 OBP, 20 HR, 600 AB, 3.5 WAR

Mike Carp

Steamer 260 Avg, 329 OBP, 9 HR, 265 AB, 0.6 WAR

Oliver 257 Avg, 329 OBP, 20 HR, 600 AB, 2.0 WAR

If they are looking for a third baseman like Middlebrooks, they will have to sweeten the pot quite a bit.

[/QUOTE]

Like Middlebrooks for Ruggiano and Cishek?

I wouldn't do it.

Maybe Middy for Ruggiano and a good prospect that could be flipped with Carp or Dempster for a good SS as Bogey slides to 3B.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Ruggiano's OBP took a hit mainly due to a drop in average due to an expanded role beyond a platoon guy / 4th outfielder.  He only hit 222 last year, but hit 313 with a 374 OBP the year before.  He is the outfield equivalent to Mike Carp IMO and is why they would match up well as trade partners.  We also have Nava who can backup first base as we saw last year as well as Big Papi if we really needed.  We don't have anyone to backup Victorino and Bradley besides each player switching places... but we need a third guy on the rotation to make that happen.

Say if Victorino needs a day off and Bradley slides over to right... we honestly don't have a single CF on the roster right now that can get that job done.  I have been very much against dropping Carp, but this is the type of deal where we would get a comparible hitter back that fits a very real need on a budget.

Mike Carp

If they are looking for a third baseman like Middlebrooks, they will have to sweeten the pot quite a bit.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it.

Maybe Middy for Ruggiano and a good prospect that could be flipped with Carp or Dempster for a good SS as Bogey slides to 3B.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt the Marlins would trade him, but I like the kid Justin Nicolino as he has the best changeup and the best control out of all their prospects.  He had an off year last year with the jump to AA, but he is a guy I see projecting to be a good MLB pitcher who we might buy low on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt the Marlins would trade him, but I like the kid Justin Nicolino as he has the best changeup and the best control out of all their prospects.  He had an off year last year with the jump to AA, but he is a guy I see projecting to be a good MLB pitcher who we might buy low on.

[/QUOTE]

You mean Cishek? He has 3 arb years left and could get paid well if he continues to do well. I think they'd take Middy for Ruggiano & Cishek, but I wouldn't do it. Middy has too much upside to deal for these two only.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

How about Morales straight up for Ruggiano?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You mean Cishek? He has 3 arb years left and could get paid well if he continues to do well. I think they'd take Middy for Ruggiano & Cishek, but I wouldn't do it. Middy has too much upside to deal for these two only.

[/QUOTE]

I was saying Middy for Cishek, Justin Nicolino and Ruggiano.  If it were just Carp then it would be a 1 for 1 swap with Ruggiano.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Morrison just left Miami so maybe the Carp option is viable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about Morales straight up for Ruggiano?

[/QUOTE]

One year of team control left for Morales and is in the last year of arbitration.  They are dumping Ruggiano because his arbitration number went up to $1.8 million in arbitration and Morales was at $1.487 million last year.  They would not trade a player that can be controlled for three years that they feel got expensive for one that is more expensive for less years of control. 

If we tradeded, the marlins have been consistent in wanting back prospects that they can control for the max amount of time.  They would also have to be the ones shedding payroll as with them it all comes down to cheaping out as much as possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Marlins signed Garrett Jones, so unless they plan on playing him in the OF, I do not think Carp is high on their wish list.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Marlins signed Garrett Jones, so unless they plan on playing him in the OF, I do not think Carp is high on their wish list.

[/QUOTE]

Jones plays in the outfield as well as Carp except Jones has the arm to play right field.  Jones has about as many games in right field as he does at first base with a handful in left field.  Carp has about as many games in left as he does first base himself with a few in right.  I think both guys could survive quite well on the same roster.

That said, it is not an ideal fit and they would be way more interested in Middlebrooks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jones plays in the outfield as well as Carp except Jones has the arm to play right field.  Jones has about as many games in right field as he does at first base with a handful in left field.  Carp has about as many games in left as he does first base himself with a few in right.  I think both guys could survive quite well on the same roster.

That said, it is not an ideal fit and they would be way more interested in Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

I doubt they are interested in Almanzar or Longhi.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

[/QUOTE]

They want someone who can play 3b this year and switch to 1b when Moran is ready...How about Holt(or a 1yr option at 3b) and Almanzar. Then, they will have a solid UI and Almanzar can play 1b in 2015...Not sure how realistic that is, but for just Ruggiano, it might work.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

[/QUOTE]

I knew this was coming... just lost Almanzar to the rule 5 draft... darn it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodzits. Show rodzits's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    gone

Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic By Steve Adams [December 12 at 8:37am CST]

The Marlins announced that they have traded outfielder Justin Ruggiano to the Cubs for outfielder Brian Bogusevic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ugh...

Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic By Steve Adams [December 12 at 8:37am CST]

The Marlins announced that they have traded outfielder Justin Ruggiano to the Cubs for outfielder Brian Bogusevic.

we could have got him for next to nothing....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodzits. Show rodzits's posts

[QUOTE]

Ugh...

Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic By Steve Adams[December 12 at 8:37am CST]

[/QUOTE]

you got that right

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Ugh...

Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic By Steve Adams[December 12 at 8:37am CST]

[/QUOTE]

Brian Bogusevic?

Gotta think we could have gotten him for less than some of the suggestions listed here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to rodzits' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    gone

[/QUOTE]

F*$ k

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Marlins could have taken Almanzar in the rule 5 draft before the O's took him, so they must not have liked him that much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Marlins could have taken Almanzar in the rule 5 draft before the O's took him, so they must not have liked him that much.

[/QUOTE]

we could have given Castellanos or someone like that. Utility guy type, which is what they got anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if and what Ben offered.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful he offered anything.  The only things Bogusevic brings are a great arm and, more important, a dirt cheap salary.

The Sox non-involvement in this probably reflects more upon their faith in Bradley and tells us a RHH CF was not really a need in their eyes.  At least not as much of one as it is in the media or on message boards.

Or maybe it means they like Franklin Gutierrez more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful he offered anything.  The only things Bogusevic brings are a great arm and, more important, a dirt cheap salary.

The Sox non-involvement in this probably reflects more upon their faith in Bradley and tells us a RHH CF was not really a need in their eyes.  At least not as much of one as it is in the media or on message boards.

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they are okay with moving Shane to CF and Nava to RF, if JBJ struggle mightily.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they have faith in Bradley as well, but it would have been nice to pick up a guy who can man all outfield positions defensively well who can hit as a backup.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they are okay with moving Shane to CF and Nava to RF, if JBJ struggle mightily.

[/QUOTE]

Unlikely.  If Bradley gets hurt, yes.

But if he struggles early, he probably plays through it as the FO knows that growing pains do not necessarily mean the deathnail of his career.