Trade idea??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

Trade idea??

Just a random thought... But the sox need pitching, we all agree to this, correct?  I'm wondering if you couch GM's would consider (or even think it could be done) trading Youk to the Cubs for Garza.  This would be in addition to the Epstein deal.  The facts as I see it are:

1.  Youk will be 33 next season and has been injury plauged for the past 2 seasons and lets face it, he is closer to the end, then his prime.
    2.  He most likely wont be back next year as Will Middlebrooks looks like his replacement (could even be this year, maybe in July).
    3.  Epstein needs a first baseman and would probably love to have the golden god of walks (or something of that title) on his team.
    4.  He would only cost the Cubs 1 year at around 10 mil.
    5.  Garza fits the bill for the number for starter for the Sox.  And at only 28 would be a nice young fit to our other young starters.

Granted a Epstein?Youklis deal for Garza would be a bit much, but maybe the Cubs could throw ina top prospect.  Just a thought.

As for Youks replacement....  Well I might try the oft injured (however when healthy productive) Lowrie.  Maybe Mike Aviles.  Not sure if there are any short term options in the free agent market either. 

Just an idea.  I woud love o see Youk here everyday and playing at a 2009 level, but not sure what is left in his tank and with 2 gapping holes in the rotation I thought of this idea.  Whats your thought?

Sox fan in Hawaii

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

Re: Trade idea??

Plus...... How will Youk work with Bobby V.  Read some reports that this relationship could be an issue. Two very strong personality types. Just adds more fuel to the fire.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

You could do this trade.Then sign Aramis Ramirez for third base.Cuddyer for right.sign Papi,DH,then you have serious prospect trade bait!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

I thought about Ramirez, but it might take to many years to get that deal done.  I would do it if he would take a 1 year deal, but if not, the sox need to look at a stop gap for 3rd base till Middlebrooks is ready.  very much int he same way Scuturo was brought back this year to be the stop gap for Iglesas.  But a right thought for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

I think that the sox are going to think big this year with new gm,new manager,mad front office.Do all that i said in my last post. Then go blockbuster for a #1 starter with the prospects.Is there any out there besides King Felix? Any ideas?Not the best thing to do for the farm system but that rotation adding a #1 would be sweet for the next 3 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

No doubt a possibility, but the sox dont need to drain the farm system for a King Felix type.  Gonzalez out of Oakland would do just fine and for much less.  The sox, if they traded for Garza would still have 4 very reliable and good starters.  Nor do they need to shed their entire farm system to get 1 pitcher, which it would take.  Minor league depth is valuable, in the short term and the long term, so i wouldnt make that move, but thats a philosphical difference and not one that is a right/wrong issue.  I surely wouldnt say no to King Felix. Its a matter of cost vs. potentail future loss that scares me, especally when you would have to give up 4 or 5 top prospects to get a King Felix type.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

I agree with all that your saying ,,but ,I look at it as we have a solid nine after getting Garza,signing Ramirez to 2 years with an option.Ortiz 2 years.Then do something like Gonzalez in Oakland.Good for 2-3 years.Then try to get Suanders from Arizona for insurance ,someone could choke on a bone? lol! We have Middlebrooks,Kalish,Ranaudo,Iglesias,Doubront,Weiland . They would go first ,and Reddick, to work a trade .Then after 2-3 years of this team which would be awsome.You have Bogaerts,Lavarnway,Brentz,Swihart,Cecchini,Pimentel,Tejeda growing into the next group!!!!,,,I`m not saying trade the farm all at once!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

well, if the Cubs get Fielder, they will no longer need a 1B.

The other thing, I really think that you overvaluing Youk there.  As you stated, 33, injury plagued over the past two years, and a free agent after next year.  Garza is 28, pitched well last year, and won't be a free agent until 2014.  I honestly think that the Sox would have to toss in a low-mid level prospect.

Other than that, would be nice as long as Low can play 3B since Middlebrooks is still at least a half season away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

One of the better ideas posted!

You gotta love Matt Garza and it may be time for Youk to move on.  The deal would need additional tweaking, but those two key players make the deal certainly worth considering.

In the end, I do not think Theo would want Youk at this stage of his career.  The Cubbies are rebuilding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

To move Youk, if that's the plan, you'd have to deal with an AL team that needs a first baseman who can also play third and DH occasionally. That team would also have to be in contention or very near contention in order to want a guy Youk's age and nearing FA. Name that team, if you can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Cubs might deal Garza, and they might like Youkilis, but the chances of a straight up trade rival the chances that Pauly Shore wins a Nobel Prize for Physics.

Youkilis is 5 years older than Garza, has not played a full season in 2 years, and is having surgery this offseason already.   And he is signed for 1 more year, with an option for 2013.  (And makes substantially more money than Garza during each of thoese years.)

Why would the Cubs trade their best SP for Youkilis?  If they deal Garza, it means rebuilding mode and an overhauled farm system.  Youkilis does nothing to help the team in that direction.

I'd love for the Sox to get Garza, but it is not going to happen...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Trade idea??:
    [QUOTE]The Cubs might deal Garza, and they might like Youkilis, but the chances of a straight up trade rival the chances that Pauly Shore wins a Nobel Prize for Physics. Youkilis is 5 years older than Garza, has not played a full season in 2 years, and is having surgery this offseason already.   And he is signed for 1 more year, with an option for 2013.  (And makes substantially more money than Garza during each of thoese years.) Why would the Cubs trade their best SP for Youkilis?  If they deal Garza, it means rebuilding mode and an overhauled farm system.  Youkilis does nothing to help the team in that direction. I'd love for the Sox to get Garza, but it is not going to happen...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. Garza is a nice addition but I don't see them trading him for just Youk. Ben will have to offer more than that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The use your words, the Cubs would not be interested in trading a 28-year-old starter coming off a 5.0 WAR season because: "1. Youk will be 33 next season and has been injury plauged for the past 2 seasons and lets face it, he is closer to the end, then his prime."

Kevin Youkilis would cost the Cubs at least $13 million: his 2012 salary of $12 million plus the $1 million buyout of the $13 million team option for 2013.

Matt Garza is projected to earn $8.7 million in 2012 and remains under his team's control through the 2013 season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No. I will take the likely 2 picks for Youk and Youk's 2012 season, and sign a bottom feeder for 1M plus incentives. Garza is being rejected for a reason. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]No. I will take the likely 2 picks for Youk and Youk's 2012 season, and sign a bottom feeder for 1M plus incentives. Garza is being rejected for a reason. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]
    Under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Red Sox would receive compensation picks only if Kevin Youkilis declined an offer of a one-year guaranteed contract of about $12.5 million.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Youkilis has already expressed a desire to return home to midwest for his last few years in baseball, after his contract runs out. Nothing in the new CBA prevents the parties from agreeing to have Youkilis decline the one year qualifying offer. Youkilis 2013 CBA market value is likely to be about 1 year 7 to 10M at age 34, only because of the non-top 10 draft pick lost. 

Remember, you are the same guy who claimed the Padres could afford AGon because of departing contracts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Cubs want prospects to help rebuild their farm system not aging injury prone players, this trade doesnt help the cubs and it also leaves a big right handed hole in the redsox lineup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]The Cubs might deal Garza, and they might like Youkilis, but the chances of a straight up trade rival the chances that Pauly Shore wins a Nobel Prize for Physics. Youkilis is 5 years older than Garza, has not played a full season in 2 years, and is having surgery this offseason already.   And he is signed for 1 more year, with an option for 2013.  (And makes substantially more money than Garza during each of thoese years.) Why would the Cubs trade their best SP for Youkilis?  If they deal Garza, it means rebuilding mode and an overhauled farm system.  Youkilis does nothing to help the team in that direction. I'd love for the Sox to get Garza, but it is not going to happen...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

The Sox passed on Garza, just like they passed on Lee. They will likely pass on Buehrle and Wilson as well, opting instead for a 36 y/o Kuroda. the Beckett/Lackey deals have made it next to impossible to sign anyone for longer than one or two years, and at only about 6-8M.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade idea?? : The Sox passed on Garza, just like they passed on Lee. They will likely pass on Buehrle and Wilson as well, opting instead for a 36 y/o Kuroda. the Beckett/Lackey deals have made it next to impossible to sign anyone for longer than one or two years, and at only about 6-8M.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Boston never passed Garza cuz they still wanted him.  And they arent going to sign Kuroda either!!

I know Theo know too much about the Red Sox organization where it is harder for Boston to make a trade with the Cubs.  Still the Cubs still own Boston a compensation deal, meaning the Cubs cant ask too much from Boston unlike they can ask alot from other teams!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

if they go with low budget retreads on pitching this year..they might as well not even play.
    We don't need FA position players..except RF..........focus on pitching..and get quality...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

NO, because A. Remariez defense is even worse than Youk.  The Cubs are looking for a boat load of prospect's and we do not have enough payroll flexibilty.  I like the idea of both Aceves and Bard starting and we sign Madson along with a couple other reliever's.  The price for Hernadez or Gonzalez is going to be price prohibtted as far as prospects, there are several teams who have better prospects than us that want the same thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

do the reds have any use for Youk. probably where he wants to go and if so do they have anyone of equal value Sox would want

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd trade him for Garza, but I don't see theo doing so.  He has no pressure to win next year, so I can't imagine a lot of interest.  I think we'd need to focus on a contender needing a 3B or 1B.