Trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Trades

Obviously the team is in the middle of a huge couple of series, but who doesn't like looking into the future?

There's a ton of options to shape next year's team...what do you think the Sox could bring back for a package of Middlebrooks, Lavarnway and one of the young starters?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: Trades

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obviously the team is in the middle of a huge couple of series, but who doesn't like looking into the future?

There's a ton of options to shape next year's team...what do you think the Sox could bring back for a package of Middlebrooks, Lavarnway and one of the young starters?

[/QUOTE]

Giancarlo Stanton...(might as well start this up again).

Bro,  at least wait til Nov. 1st to start this up again.  Enjoy the next 2 weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's going to take much more than that to get Stanton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon~

For some reason I'm having problems posting on the other thread.  I thought I would get a well thought out answer from you.  Since I didn't I guess our debate is over.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Giancarlo Stanton...(might as well start this up again).

Bro,  at least wait til Nov. 1st to start this up again.  Enjoy the next 2 weeks.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Go sox tomorrow, no game on Sunday pls, just football

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As bad a year as Stanton had, I doubt Miami will trade him until he redeems his value more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As bad a year as Stanton had, I doubt Miami will trade him until he redeems his value more.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  They would actually be selling low on him...plus he needs to figure out his injury issues as well.  If they were going to trade him it should have happened before the season when they could have gotten a kings ransom.  Right now he doesn't have a lot of team control years left...he's oft injured and he had a lousy season (albeit playing with ZERO around him).  They would be foolish to trade him now. 

BTW.....W. TF are we discussing trades in the middle of a WS run??  Better yet....why did I bump this stupid thread to the top?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I never mind talking trades. 

But Stanton, bad year or not, would take a haul. 

In a recent mlbtr chat, one fan postulsted Mike Wacha. Oscar Tavares and Carlos Martinez for Stanton, only to be told that might not be enough.   If an offer needs to be in the neighborhood of that offer, walk away.

Lavarnway has little to no trade value.  If the Sox do try to move Middlebrooks (unlikely), they will probably find that if they limit the return to position plsyers they can use, they would be getting back someone like Peter Bourjos.  Not Stanton...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Marlins should trade Stanton.  They already traded Reyes, Hanley and other top stars. They might as well get top prospects in return for Stanton.  

I read an article where Jose Reyes bought a home in Miami and a couple of weeks later, he was traded to Toronto.  That is so wrong.   LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Lavarnway has little to no trade value.  If the Sox do try to move Middlebrooks (unlikely), they will probably find that if they limit the return to position plsyers they can use, they would be getting back someone like Peter Bourjos.  Not Stanton...

I was thinking along the lines of two-plus years of 31-year-old San Diego outfielder Carlos Quentin if the Red Sox included Ryan Lavarnway, Will Middlebrooks and Alex Webster and if Quentin would waive his no-trade protection. But the Padres might not do that deal because the Friars already have Chase Headley and Jedd Gyorko (whose 2014 Steamer projections are better than those for Middlebrooks, who was born the same month as Gyorko).

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=10816&position=2B

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon~

For some reason I'm having problems posting on the other thread.  I thought I would get a well thought out answer from you.  Since I didn't I guess our debate is over.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

[/QUOTE]

That thread is messed up. I did respond, but I'm not sure it got posted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  They would actually be selling low on him...plus he needs to figure out his injury issues as well.  If they were going to trade him it should have happened before the season when they could have gotten a kings ransom.  Right now he doesn't have a lot of team control years left...he's oft injured and he had a lousy season (albeit playing with ZERO around him).  They would be foolish to trade him now. 

BTW.....W. TF are we discussing trades in the middle of a WS run??  Better yet....why did I bump this stupid thread to the top?

[/QUOTE]

You bumped it up because mostly all we can do is to wait for the game to start.

Miami should traded Stanton the day after they dumped all their backloaded contracts on TO.  They'd have cleared something the equivalent of 3 top-20, with 1-2 being top-10s.

And I wouldn't confuse this guy with elite talent either.  He's got lot of injuries and Ks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Stanton is a waste of prospects right now. forget him please.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marlins should trade Stanton.  They already traded Reyes, Hanley and other top stars. They might as well get top prospects in return for Stanton.  

I read an article where Jose Reyes bought a home in Miami and a couple of weeks later, he was traded to Toronto.  That is so wrong.   LOL

[/QUOTE]

Same as Buerhle.  He should've asked for a no-trade clause.  If Miami refused, he could've gone elsewhere.  But he wanted the money.

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for people who want the most money, but none of the downside.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was thinking along the lines of two-plus years of 31-year-old San Diego outfielder Carlos Quentin if the Red Sox included Ryan Lavarnway, Will Middlebrooks and Alex Webster and if Quentin would waive his no-trade protection. But the Padres might not do that deal because the Friars already have Chase Headley and Jedd Gyorko (whose 2014 Steamer projections are better than those for Middlebrooks, who was born the same month as Gyorko).

[/QUOTE]

Oft-injured Quentin for THAT package? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'd like to discuss trades but let's wait until after the playoffs, ALCS or WS. Anything before is premature. 

My thoughts only, Hetch

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the sox need to make 2 big moves this offseason and of course fill alot of holes. I think salty gets a new contract and stays, drew leaves, we sign kendrys morales to replace napoli. In terms of trades, there could be some big names available. David price, max scherzer and giancarlo stanton are the big 3 that could be out there. Price almost certainly will be dealt, would be very surprised if it was to us. scherzer same thing, doubt we go after either of those 2 seriously. stanton is the guy we need and will likely go after big time. he would fit perfectly into LF and it would minimize his defensive deficiencies. In terms of pitchers, i except the sox to stay clear of price and scherzer (though they will likely check in on both) and go after masahiro tanaka. we have alot of uncertainty going forward in the rotation. Lester will likely be re-signed, buchholz is under contract and same with doubront. But after next season peavy, lackey and demspter will all be free agents. I would say of the 3 peavy is most likely to be brought back, but i wouldnt count on it. If we can get tanaka, we would at least have our top 3. Many people think tanaka is better than darvish, so getting him would be huge. Having a rotation next season of Lester buchholz peavy lackey tanaka would be dominant to say the least. Also, picking him up gives us the option of trading one of our current starters (ie peavy, lackey or dempster) If the team re-signs ellsbury as well, we could be looking at an even better red sox tema next year.

ellsbury

victorino

pedroia

stanton

ortiz

morales

middlbrooks

salty

bogaerts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Oft-injured Quentin for THAT package? 

It's a sufficiently flawed package on each side.Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If by "each side"  you meant "Boston" and "the Red Sox"...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that's how i see it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Carlos Quentin posted a WAR of 2.1 in a half-season sample of 82 games this year while Will Middlebrooks posted a WAR of 0.3 in 94 games, Ryan Lavarnway a WAR of 0.3 in 25 games and Allen Webster a WAR of a negative 0.3 in eight appearances, including seven starts.

The OP asked what the proposed package would bring back in a trade and I in essence replied that the package would not return much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Carlos Quentin posted a WAR of 2.1 in a half-season sample of 82 games this year while Will Middlebrooks posted a WAR of 0.3 in 94 games, Ryan Lavarnway a WAR of 0.3 in 25 games and Allen Webster a WAR of a negative 0.3 in eight appearances, including seven starts.

The OP asked what the proposed package would bring back in a trade and I in essence replied that the package would not return much.

[/QUOTE]

Im sure they could get more than Carlos Quinten for that package. Maybe not a top player, but surely more than Quinten. My God, if the Sox gave those 3 away for that joker, Ben should be fired on the spot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It's never to early to make moves for next seasons team and in true Red Sox fashion they have already started as last evening it was reported the Red Sox had signed RHP Dariel Hinojosa a member of the Cuban team nationale, he projects to being a reliever and he will start out at AAA. The cost was minimal ashe received a 4mil signing bonus whiich doesn't even effect their International money based upon his eligibility. They lost out on Abreu, but Tanaka is still availible!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    Im sure they could get more than Carlos Quinten for that package. Maybe not a top player, but surely more than Quinten. My God, if the Sox gave those 3 away for that joker, Ben should be fired on the spot.

Perhaps you're right, but compare Carlos Quentin's 2013 numbers with the 2012 numbers of hitters the Red Sox acquired last offseason:

13 Quentin 82 G, 2.1 WAR*

12 Napoli 108 G, 2.0 WAR

12 Victorino 154 G, 2.9 WAR

12 Gomes 99 G, 2.0 WAR

12 Drew 79 G, -0.3 WAR

12 Carp 59 G, 0.0 WAR

Will Middlebrooks and Ryan Lavarnway are 25-year-old and 26-year-old post-prospects surrounded by questions while Allen Webster is a 23-year-old unproven prospect.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs