Tunnel vision

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Tunnel vision

Too many fans have tunnel vision. They only look at a trade or FA signing based as a stand alone action.

Far to few actually can see how a move can save trading a prospect. Or how it allows that prospect another year to grow. 

How a move allows the team flexibility with the lineup.

how move allows other moves to be made.

I hear teams did not tender this or that guy. Then offer some negative idea (peds) for it. Did you ever think it wears because they have a prospect ready or have a trade in progress.

People start looking deeper into the well. Stop skimming the top of the water and start understanding there is a plan and it is at least 5 yrs in length if not longer.

BTW they also know a heckuva lot more than we do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Tunnel vision

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too many fans have tunnel vision. They only look at a trade or FA signing based as a stand alone action.

Far to few actually can see how a move can save trading a prospect. Or how it allows that prospect another year to grow. 

I hear teams did not tender this or that guy. Then offer some negative idea (peds) for it. Did you ever think it wears because they have a prospect ready or have a trade in progress.

People start looking deeper into the well. Stop skimming the top of the water and start understanding there is a plan and it is at least 5 yrs in length if not longer.

[/QUOTE]

you mean to tell me that people who make a living constructing a team for the short term as well as the long haul know more about BB than i do?

i don't buy it!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Im with you Jim.....  Not many of us on this board has the "vision" to know the nuts & bolts of a baseball roster !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I can't disagree that they know more than the fans do...however I do question the 5-year plan that called for the Sox to end 2012 in last place...doesn't seem like a good plan to me...but what would I know...I'm just a fan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't disagree that they know more than the fans do...however I do question the 5-year plan that called for the Sox to end 2012 in last place...doesn't seem like a good plan to me...but what would I know...I'm just a fan.

[/QUOTE]

well they certainly didn't go into 2012 looking to land in last place. underperformance and HUGE amount of injuries played a giant role in the last palce finish

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The plan was not to finish in last place. I hope that was sarcasm. Saying that and meaning it would show that you do not understand the ups and downs of baseball. As well as understanding that players do not always have career years every year. It is why teams like the RS, NYY, Cards, Patriots and a few others should be looked upon as truly greaorganizations for their ability to stay at the top of their sport for so long. While others are up and down from one year to the next.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

All I am saying is that the Sox have not sniffed a playoff spot in 4 straight years, they have bought and unloaded a boat load of FA failures, and yes they have had injuries and players with off years, but a team with a 170M payroll should have been able to overcome some of that to at least make the WC once in awhile...instead of spiraling into last place.  It is one thing to have an off year every once in awhile...but what the Sox have been going through is hardly related to off years.  This is a plan that I find difficult to believe in.  We have had bridge year after bridge year to no avail...and now - all of a sudden - the FO has a 5-year vision that fans can't possibly understand?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

All I am saying is that the Sox have not sniffed a playoff spot in 4 straight years, they have bought and unloaded a boat load of FA failures, and yes they have had injuries and players with off years, but a team with a 170M payroll should have been able to overcome some of that to at least make the WC once in awhile...instead of spiraling into last place.  It is one thing to have an off year every once in awhile...but what the Sox have been going through is hardly related to off years.  This is a plan that I find difficult to believe in.  We have had bridge year after bridge year to no avail...and now - all of a sudden - the FO has a 5-year vision that fans can't possibly understand?

[/QUOTE]

we haven't had a bridge year. we tried having one, but the fans were outraged so we signed CC and traded for AG and look where it landed us..

just because you finish poorly doesn't mean it was a bridge year. a bridge year is waiting for your prospects to arrive. so tell me who showed up in the past 2 years to justify your theorey that it was a bridge year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we haven't had a bridge year. we tried having one, but the fans were outraged so we signed CC and traded for AG and look where it landed us..

just because you finish poorly doesn't mean it was a bridge year. a bridge year is waiting for your prospects to arrive. so tell me who showed up in the past 2 years to justify your theorey that it was a bridge year?

[/QUOTE]

The players that were to show up, were traded: Kelly & Rizzo.

Middlebrooks is here. Doubront is here. Iggy is now here. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

the sox payroll this year is 2x as much as tampa,a bit more than the o's,about level with the jays and all 3 look better positioned to finish ahead of the sox in 2013 and beyond.Whatever the FO plan is going forward it don't look like the plan is gonna be a winner. Over 30's signed as free agent difference makers??????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you actually believe Ben Cherington to be that astute? Honestly, which moves has he made that have panned out. Name one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well they certainly didn't go into 2012 looking to land in last place. underperformance and HUGE amount of injuries played a giant role in the last palce finish

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention some bonehead trades and acquisitions, and lack thereof at the TD.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They had the horses to win it all and let them all get away. Vmart, Beltre, Agon, and yes, Crawford.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The plan was not to finish in last place. I hope that was sarcasm. Saying that and meaning it would show that you do not understand the ups and downs of baseball. As well as understanding that players do not always have career years every year. It is why teams like the RS, NYY, Cards, Patriots and a few others should be looked upon as truly greaorganizations for their ability to stay at the top of their sport for so long. While others are up and down from one year to the next.

[/QUOTE]

How have the Sox done since 2010, given the payroll that they've had? For a team with a total payroll from 2010-2012 of $540M, how can you say they are a great organization? The organization hasn't been good for a few years and there is no reason to believe they will be good in 2013. Note also over 2011-2013, the Red Sox will have three managers and two GM's.

Lastly, a great organization does not lie about a sellout streak that does not exist.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What is your point on Iggy? You make it seem like he has been a positive productive player? The jury is still out, and by mid 2013, he could be nothing more than a trade throw in.