2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Two gigantic errors by Iglesias when it counts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Iglesias bashing is laughable. He messed up the play, but it was not an easy chance and there was not going to be a double play in any case. The Tigers lost the series because Cabrera and Fielder were well contained , and their bullpen failed them . The Sox came up with the clutch hits and lights out relief pitching. Detroit did not.  Blaming Iglesias is not right. By the way , Iglesias, who we all know can't hit despite hitting .300 for the year, hit .357 for the series, second only to Victor Martinez. The kid was traded. He didn't ask for it. He didn't walk away as a free agent. He didn't slam the team for dealing him. The sudden dislike for him is irrational. Is it just because some of us thought Iglesias for Peavy was a bad deal? 

[/QUOTE]

You keep saying things like "sudden dislike" when most of us on here thought he was overated all along.

Anyway, two HUGE errors in 4 games. Series is over. Iggy hurt his team.

[/QUOTE]

His teammates went to sleep at the plate.  Even thought Ortiz finished up with just two hits and a .87 avg, he came thru big one night as Vic did last night.  Iggy did well at the plate with his .357 avg and if one of your fav players had this avg for the alcs, you'd be playing it up.

also:  Middy said he rather be playing just like any competitor would say, but he understands that the team comes first.

[/QUOTE]

I know.

Iggy isn't one of my favorite players. He is one of yours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I though the error last night was on a ball hit pretty hard up the middle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was, but He got to it with no problem and bobbled it.

I dont care for the "bashing" on Iggy either. Although Im not sure Id call it that, but more of a shot to those on here that said Iggy could do no wrong and conceeded the Sox future because he was gone.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I know fans want to gloat to the anti-Peavy crowwd about those errors, but realy, Iglesias is a very good defender and even very good defenders make errors.

If the Tigers never acquired him and had Peralta at shorstop, neither of those balls is an error.  Both are clean singles to the outfield....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Absolutely correct Notin!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some say that Peavy helped to get us where we are. Okay. Not so sure that, if you substitute Workman or Doubront for Peavy, we would not be in the same place , but the fact is that Iglesias also helped to get us where we are. And , I am not referring to the error, but to his play with the Sox. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it was and the way it bounced over the plate would have challenged a few. The kid played well and hopefully he gets a WS ring mailed to him by the red sox.  He will also be getting a share of the world series pay, so the joke is 37 stories and his pals.

[/QUOTE]

I hope he gets  a Ws ring and a share of Ws pay too.

So I am not sure why that would make the joke on me.

Look man, I am sorry that Iggy blew a few big plays and made you sad. You're sad, I am happy. It is what it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know fans want to gloat to the anti-Peavy crowwd about those errors, but realy, Iglesias is a very good defender and even very good defenders make errors.

If the Tigers never acquired him and had Peralta at shorstop, neither of those balls is an error.  Both are clean singles to the outfield....

[/QUOTE]

Very good. Absolutely true. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

Some say that Peavy helped to get us where we are. Okay. Not so sure that, if you substitute Workman or Doubront for Peavy, we would not be in the same place , but the fact is that Iglesias also helped to get us where we are. And , I am not referring to the error, but to his play with the Sox. 

[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Same with Brandon Snyder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, that's not true at all, any shortstop gets to the ball hit by Ells, and most at least get a glove on the first one that he threw away for an error.  It had been better for him and the Tigers if the latter went into left for a single.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What about those of us who think both Peavey and Iggy are average and that neither one is good enough to make that much of a difference?

Such radical thinking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, that's not true at all, any shortstop gets to the ball hit by Ells, and most at least get a glove on the first one that he threw away for an error.  It had been better for him and the Tigers if the latter went into left for a single.

[/QUOTE]

I agree mex.
    Drew got to a similar one when he stopped Miggy's hit going up the middle. I think a lot of SS get to that ball. Thats what Im talking about when I say people overrate Iggys D. Hes great, no doubt, but come on. Most SS get to that ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree mex.
    Drew got to a similar one when he stopped Miggy's hit going up the middle. I think a lot of SS get to that ball. Thats what Im talking about when I say people overrate Iggys D. Hes great, no doubt, but come on. Most SS get to that ball.

[/QUOTE]

He fielded the ball on the move, on the second base side of the bag. The ball may have deflected off the pitcher's foot. Not sure. In his haste to make the improbable, if not impossible,  double play, he blew it. No excuse made. Drew messed up an easier play on Jackson in the ninth, but it was scored a hit. That's how it goes. It depends on what ensues. I would say that the vast majority of baseball people would agree that Iglesias is a better defensive shortstop than Drew, who is pretty darn good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree mex.

[/QUOTE]

He fielded the ball on the move, on the second base side of the bag. The ball may have deflected off the pitcher's foot. Not sure. In his haste to make the improbable, if not impossible,  double play, he blew it. No excuse made. Drew messed up an easier play on Jackson in the ninth, but it was scored a hit. That's how it goes. It depends on what ensues. I would say that the vast majority of baseball people would agree that Iglesias is a better defensive shortstop than Drew, who is pretty darn good. 

[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you made my comment into who the better SS was between Iggy and Drew because Ive mentioned throughout all this that Iggy is the better defensive player. I was agreeing with mex that most SS get to that ball. The overrate comment is because many make it sound like only Iggy gets to that ball.

Besides, I know errors are subjective, so I rely on what I see and be unbiased about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's time to put Iggy to bed...

at least for this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

One of my favorite all-time non-Red Sox players is Mark Belanger, so I understand the value of a good defensive SS even if he is not a good hitter.  But something struck me during the series that I think explains why the Sox see Bogaerts as the SS of the future and were willing to deal Iglesias.  Bogaerts had 3 doubles and 3 walks, Iggy 0  each (though he did get hit by a pitch).  It is the plate discipline and the extra-base power that XB provides that the Sox like, two things Iglesias has not shown at all.  Yes, Iggy is the better defensive SS, by a good margin.  But the Sox feel Bogaerts can give adequate defense and above average offense from that position.  I said it at the time and I still believe it, the trade was a win-win-win (remember the White Sox got a good prospect in the deal as well). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of my favorite all-time non-Red Sox players is Mark Belanger, so I understand the value of a good defensive SS even if he is not a good hitter.  But something struck me during the series that I think explains why the Sox see Bogaerts as the SS of the future and were willing to deal Iglesias.  Bogaerts had 3 doubles and 3 walks, Iggy 0  each (though he did get hit by a pitch).  It is the plate discipline and the extra-base power that XB provides that the Sox like, two things Iglesias has not shown at all.  Yes, Iggy is the better defensive SS, by a good margin.  But the Sox feel Bogaerts can give adequate defense and above average offense from that position.  I said it at the time and I still believe it, the trade was a win-win-win (remember the White Sox got a good prospect in the deal as well). 

[/QUOTE]

Would  that not indicate that Iglesias should be the shortstop, while Bogaerts is the third baseman ?  Is  Peavy really that much of a factor? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was on a couple Detroit forums today just to see what they were saying. Its funny because it sounds a lot like on here. Some happy with his defense and believe he will get better offensively, and the other half who are very upset that they lost at top OF prospect (#2 overall/Avisail Garcia) who projects to put up some numbers and is no slouch on defense. A very atheletic 22yo 6'4 240lb kid that everyone speaks highly of.

Detroit didnt get to the WS this year with the trade, but they have secured their SS position. WIN

Boston is in the WS and Peavy was a big part of that. SS of the future is Xander Bogaerts. WIN

Chicago got a highly rated OF prospect for their retooling. WIN

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that with Ellsbury's ball.  Iggy didn't have to move that far to get it, I'm pretty sure he was already positioned closer than usual toward second base.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that with Ellsbury's ball.  Iggy didn't have to move that far to get it, I'm pretty sure he was already positioned closer than usual toward second base.

[/QUOTE]

He was playing up the middle, no question. Still , it was not an easy play. There was little , if any , chance that they double up Ellsbury on the play. Iglesias was charged with the error, and rightly so. He remains a terrific defensive shortstop. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would  that not indicate that Iglesias should be the shortstop, while Bogaerts is the third baseman ?  Is  Peavy really that much of a factor? 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Sox have given up on Middlebrooks yet.  And I know, many say well then Middlebrooks could play first.  But why have 2 players play out of position when you don't need to.  Remember they had originally signed Napoli to a 3 year deal.  They may still sign him for 2 more years. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to Chicagofire's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We won't know who was right on the Iggy for Peavy trade for years.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's fair to say Iggy's 2 error helped put the Sox in the Series.

If the Sox win the Series, I believe the deal was worth it, period.

Just like the Dice deal was worth it for 2007, ditto Drew.   A WS Championship is worth everything it takes.