Umpire's bad call

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Umpire's bad call

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

he "assumed".  and we all know what that does....

but if he didn't see it he had to assume

of course.  i think we are saying the same thing here.  i wasnt saying that he shouldnt have assumed.. he was doing his job looking at the bag and listening for the catch....i was simply pointing out that he did assume.  watching it live and the replays that followed last night, i knew exactly why he made the call the way he did.  and also knew why the other 5 umpires got it right...their eyes were focused on the glove, not the bag.  it was an easy call after the huddle. 

but the old saying for "assume" certainly fits this occasion, dont you agree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe that, once an umpire makes such an egregious "error", he should be removed from the games -- especially in the World Series. He had the best view of the non-catch, standing right next to it.  Every other umpire saw it the correct way from ALL their different vantage points.

MLB needs to hold umpires accountable for "mistakes" like that. Just like any other profession. If you can't do what your job requires correctly, then find another profession. I'm sure there are plenty of people/umpires who would love the opportunity to be there in your place. These games are too important to have that happen.

If this was years ago, or maybe even a year ago, I doubt there would be any overturning the call. And that would be a shame. #gamechangingmistakes

[/QUOTE]

Just hope that the umpires don't feel they might owe St Louis a call? You know .. Like Drew not touching second on a double play or a close play on a steal...  I hope it's not a we owe them one thing...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't know what to say about this.  The St. L argument of, "We got screwed because you didn't screw them", has to be one of the weakest positions I've ever heard. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know what to say about this.  The St. L argument of, "We got screwed because you didn't screw them", has to be one of the weakest positions I've ever heard. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, you can say that changing the call like that is unusual, but we should also expect the umps to make the right call. 

When people look back at this game and see how obvious that call was, no one is going to say St. Louis got screwed.  But if they didn't change that call and St. Louis won that game by one run.....people would look back and say the Sox got screwed. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Matheny was whining like there was no tommorow at his presser after the game. Classic Cardinals song and dance. What did he expect? To leave the call as it was and have it be an egregious error on world wide television in the World Series? Come on. Stupid Cardinals.....and btw, if we win this series with Beltran ban-ged up, the whining in Stl Louis will continue fo YEARS. To this day, they still claim theyd have won the whole thing in 2004 if some bad call they complain about from game one had gone their way. (I had to hyphenate the word ban-ged because its not allowed on bdc. Asinine.)

[/QUOTE]

He did, exam.  He acted like they lost because of a bad call. Did he not see the replay? No question they got the call right. 

[/QUOTE]

It was obvious; and even if they didn't reverse the call, the game would have been likely 7-1 instead of 8-1 (but you never know)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Matheny was whining like there was no tommorow at his presser after the game. Classic Cardinals song and dance. What did he expect? To leave the call as it was and have it be an egregious error on world wide television in the World Series? Come on. Stupid Cardinals.....and btw, if we win this series with Beltran ban-ged up, the whining in Stl Louis will continue fo YEARS. To this day, they still claim theyd have won the whole thing in 2004 if some bad call they complain about from game one had gone their way. (I had to hyphenate the word ban-ged because its not allowed on bdc. Asinine.)

[/QUOTE]

They couldn't win in 2004.    As far as I know every team that has won the World Series has won a game.Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I believe that, once an umpire makes such an egregious "error", he should be removed from the games -- especially in the World Series. He had the best view of the non-catch, standing right next to it.  Every other umpire saw it the correct way from ALL their different vantage points.

MLB needs to hold umpires accountable for "mistakes" like that. Just like any other profession. If you can't do what your job requires correctly, then find another profession. I'm sure there are plenty of people/umpires who would love the opportunity to be there in your place. These games are too important to have that happen.

If this was years ago, or maybe even a year ago, I doubt there would be any overturning the call. And that would be a shame. #gamechangingmistakes

[/QUOTE]

Removing an ump form a game for a bad call, and it was an extremely bad call, is a bit over the top, IMO.

MLB does need a more stringent review process for umps.

And playoff umps should be chosen by merit, not seniority.

Umps like CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez shouldn't be anywhere near a playoff game.

[/QUOTE]

Yes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

he "assumed".  and we all know what that does....

but if he didn't see it he had to assume

[/QUOTE]

of course.  i think we are saying the same thing here.  i wasnt saying that he shouldnt have assumed.. he was doing his job looking at the bag and listening for the catch....i was simply pointing out that he did assume.  watching it live and the replays that followed last night, i knew exactly why he made the call the way he did.  and also knew why the other 5 umpires got it right...their eyes were focused on the glove, not the bag.  it was an easy call after the huddle. 

stop it

just stop it

can I pleade the 5th ;-)

but the old saying for "assume" certainly fits this occasion, dont you agree?

can't go that far I don't think it makes an ____ of him or me ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This implication, is, quite frankly, ridiculous. And regardless, it appears to have had no impact on the game. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It was a bad call....the umps reversed it.  

Case closed. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

It's just like they say on Brain Games...The mind is trained to take short cuts.  The ump focused on the bag and he is used to seeing the ball caught and transferred, especially on this level.  So, when it didn't happen, his mind thought it did.  he needed the other umps not predisposed to making the call to actually see what happened.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jimdavis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's just like they say on Brain Games...The mind is trained to take short cuts.  The ump focused on the bag and he is used to seeing the ball caught and transferred, especially on this level.  So, when it didn't happen, his mind thought it did.  he needed the other umps not predisposed to making the call to actually see what happened.

[/QUOTE]

This has already been discussed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still don't understand why Yankee fans are allowed here or why some posters support their presence. I have been coming here for 5 years and it really bothers me. I starts threads and make posts about it time and time and agonizing time again and again, and yet nothing changes. I am so unhappy about the Yankees fans that after a Game One "W" the only thing I can think of is to start a negative thread about umpires.

[/QUOTE]

I admit I'm slow; I didn't get it the first time; kudos for satire.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And look at the pics of where this umpire is standing during the play. You couldn't get a better view if you were making the play yourself. The ball NEVER went into his glove, so he had to see the ball the whole time -- never disappearing.

[/QUOTE]

The umpire was watching the bag and assuming the catch. How many times is that ball dropped? It was a very bad call that the crew got right. Relax, the man is human! We got the break as that should have been an inning ending DP ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

kimsaythis = clueless Pink Hat

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to blingblang's comment:

Once Demuth made the wrong call it set a series of controversies in motion that becomes a no win whichever way it flows.

I sometimes wish the call stood, and Sox would have gone up 2-0 instead of 3-0 on Napoli's double that followed.  That would at least not give a reason of why the Cards lost the game, and instead turn into "they lost inspite of that help from Demuth".

Glad that replay is coming to baseball next year.  These guys need more TV replay help clearly to get the right call, and get rid of egos and blown calls that they refuse to change, and teams depending on umps sticking to blown calls against their opponents.

===========================

I thought the same as you that if the call stood we'd be up 2-0 and then we got 4 more runs the rest of the game so would have won 6-0. But, of course, we are Monday morning quarterbacking & what if we lost. That Ref would have needed a platoon of Marines to go to his car. Let me say as a biased Sox fan that had the situtation been reversed I would have had no problem with the call being reversed as I would have agreed it should have been in all fairness.

Until the replay comes into service, I think a ref who perhaps cannot make a definite decision as an umpire behind a plate asks the 1st base ump if a batter completed his swing for a strike out, should have halted the game and confered with the others and made the decision without inviting a controversy. I think, we as fans, can appreciate that umps are human and not play God when they are not sure of a call.  Justice prevailed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Removing an ump form a game for a bad call, and it was an extremely bad call, is a bit over the top, IMO.

MLB does need a more stringent review process for umps.

And playoff umps should be chosen by merit, not seniority.

Umps like CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez shouldn't be anywhere near a playoff game.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to remove him from the game he's in. I meant remove him from the games after that. I agree that the best umps should be in the most important games, but I think they have their own idea of who the best umps are in their world.

25. This post has been removed.