Upon Bailey's return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Re: Upon Bailey's return

In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : After the surgery, said September, if not lost for the entire season. 5 month recovery. returning after the all star break is due to healing quicker than expected....or the fact Ace has been doing so well
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Not to make an argument out of nothing, but this isn't accurate.

Upon the initial injury announcement, Bailey was viewed as out "indefinitely". Once he got a second opinion, it was confirmed he would need surgery and virtually all media outlets reported "out 3-4 months", i.e. at or just after the All Star Break. His updated timetable is still right on that projected target.

I don't recall even once hearing a whisper that he might be out for the year, or even 5 months.

Sources: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/andrew-bailey-set-for-ligament-surgery-likely-to-miss-first-half/
    http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-04/sports/31282333_1_thumb-surgery-red-sox

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I don't think he should just be given the job.  Aceves is doing well out there. His stuff is nasty.

Still though I don't think a lot of people know that Bailey in his career has a 2.07 ERA and a WHIP of 0.95.  He has 174 ks and 49 walks in 174 innings.

He is an excellent pitcher.  So many people are going to change their minds once they see him pitch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : Not to make an argument out of nothing, but this isn't accurate. Upon the initial injury announcement, Bailey was viewed as out "indefinitely". Once he got a second opinion, it was confirmed he would need surgery and virtually all media outlets reported "out 3-4 months", i.e. at or just after the All Star Break. His updated timetable is still right on that projected target. I don't recall even once hearing a whisper that he might be out for the year, or even 5 months. Sources: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/andrew-bailey-set-for-ligament-surgery-likely-to-miss-first-half/ http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-04/sports/31282333_1_thumb-surgery-red-sox
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

I heard at one point they questioned if he'd return at all, if so, not until September. the timetable was moved up because he healed faster than expected, 571.

Did you notice the update on the bottom of your first link UPDATE: bailey is more likely to miss 4-5 months than 3-4?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

From ESPN:

News: Bailey (thumb) was expected to begin a throwing program Wednesday in Fort Myers, the Boston Herald reports. (Thu May 24)

Spin: The plan calls for Bailey to start throwing from 60 feet. He's not expected to pitch until after the All-Star break.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Aceves has taken the Sox nutritionist advise on eating habit and has improved his shape and pitch speed because of it.  Good article today on it.   Imagine if the rest of our pitchers did that? If Aceves continues to pitch well Ben should take note and lock this guy up for a while, he has done everytihng the sox have ever asked him to do and then some.  Bailey can set up and save now and then and maybe be packaged in a trade to get a good starter.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return :  I heard at one point they questioned if he'd return at all, if so, not until September. the timetable was moved up because he healed faster than expected, 571. Did you notice the update on the bottom of your first link UPDATE: bailey is more likely to miss 4-5 months than 3-4?
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I suppose one source (that likely was quickly proven wrong) noted it was "more 4-5 than 3-4 months" but that's still a far cry from "if at all".

Given that I heard dozens and dozens of notes say "3-4 months/All-Star Break", and never once noticed that adjustment offered up by one Globe source, I think that source was rapidly corrected...otherwise, the 4-5 month timetable would have quickly spread. As I said before, the timetable has almost universally been "just after the All Star Break", and even if a rare person hypothesized it would be worse, that doesn't change the general timetable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : I suppose one source (that likely was quickly proven wrong) noted it was "more 4-5 than 3-4 months" but that's still a far cry from "if at all". Given that I heard dozens and dozens of notes say "3-4 months/All-Star Break", and never once noticed that adjustment offered up by one Globe source, I think that source was rapidly corrected...otherwise, the 4-5 month timetable would have quickly spread. As I said before, the timetable has almost universally been "just after the All Star Break", and even if a rare person hypothesized it would be worse, that doesn't change the general timetable.
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

4-5 months would be September, hardly a far cry. I not only heard it more than once, but by more than one source, 571, not that you wanted to make an argument out of itTongue out

Regardless, the fact is, he's returning sooner than later.  how effectively and where, is the issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

If the role of closer were the only issue this season, I would agree with others that say "don't rock the boat."  Aceves is doing well enough as the closer, so why take him out of it for Bailey?

Unfortunately, the Sox are currently running two starters out there who are incredibly "iffy."  Buchholz almost gives the Sox no chance to win wihtout bashing in double digit runs, and Bard is like the worst of Dice-K.  There is no possible way the Sox can compete this year if those two starters don't magically turn their seasons around. 

I know that Bard seems to have good numbers, but someone who tops out at 93, has almost no command of where his pitches are going, and is very dependent on double-plays bailing him out of jams is not someone who can be depended on.  Also, even if Bard magically refinds his velocity and command, I don't think he can pitch the full season as a starter anyway due to innings.

Aceves entered this season hoping to be a starter.  I think at some point he should be a starter like he originally envisioned, especially if the Bard/Buchholz situations get really awful.  (We cannot depend on improbably homeruns from people like Nava to win us games over the long haul.)  Then Bailey, Bard or Melancon can close.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Few issues here. First would be that the RS would have to get Aceves stretched out to start. Now given his apparent ability to be "elastic", this might not take as long as it would with another late inning reliever.

Also right now Aceves is doing a really good job in late and close situations. Whether he continued to close or be the late set-up guy, adding Bailey to the bullpen rotation basically would allow BV to move Padilla and Morales to earlier in his BP rotation and to perhaps get those guys more rest. At the rate the BP is used an extra high quality arm in that BP would be key. And while I don't know about anybody else I am not sure how long Padilla's magic ride of baffling hitters with a savvy collection of junk will continue.

As others have said it is early to determine just what Bailey will bring to the table or for that matter when.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : After the surgery, said September, if not lost for the entire season. 5 month recovery. returning after the all star break is due to healing quicker than expected....or the fact Ace has been doing so well
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I think the latter. His role is in jeopardy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Who's this Bailey fella everyone jaws about??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Make him available for a trade. (2) outfielders, high minor league ready. Maybe a year or two away. A RH bat, maybe both. A couple of decent catch and throw guys with base stealing capabilities. No stints on the DL. Above average skill sets. Keep the saber guys out of the selection process. The coaches at AA are looking at the best of the best everynight they play. Ask who they've seen and like?