V-Tek is comming back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

V-Tek is comming back!

Sox gave him minor league deal and spring training invite.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: V-Tek is comming back!

How to ruin my day!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

He hasn't accepted the invite yet (no contract)...it can't hurt to have him in camp, and it may be the beginning of his transition to coaching career, if that's the way he wants to go....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: V-Tek is coming back!

Good move.  He doesn't appear to be in their plans for 2012 following the acquisition of Shoppach, but he was adequate as a backup catcher in 2011 and should something happen to Shoppach or Salty before the season starts it would be good to have him around. Would cost a pittance but not a 40-man roster spot.

If that doesn't happen, he can retire a Red Sox and maybe even the scum spitting blood at him now will applaud him out the door.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I said it last fall that Varitek would get an invitation to spring training. I expect Wakefield to get an invite too. You never know what will happen. It's good insurance in case of a rash of injuries.

As far as Tek is concerned, we're talking about a backup catcher. Facts are facts and the fact is, last year he ranked near the top among backup catchers. 

The angst over who the backup catcher has to rank among the top IDIOTIC topics on this board.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

roy, if you sign these two old warhorses, then you will have to keep them and play them....you dont just sign two veterans with decades of loyal service to the team and then cut them...or stash them in AAA until you need them....

this is a big mistake...they are not good players anymore - i could care less what their "value" is...they are older, slower, and played major roles in the september collapse....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It is exactly what the Yanks did with Bernie Williams. I believe the expectations are probably that V-Tek will not accept and retire, just like Bernie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

The problem is that these guys just don't know how to say enough is enough.  If the RS had the balls to say  that then we wouldn't be talking about him.  I will be the first to admit that Tek was one of the best catchers the RS ever had and I personnally loved his dirt dog mentality but come on....lets move on.  Don't disrespect him with some BS invite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: V-Tek is comming back!:
    [QUOTE] How to ruin my day!
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Great move.Hope he stays with sox in some way. What a class act.Make a great coach or manager some day. Thank you V-Tec for all those years. Only those with a brain the size of a pea would have no clue. DO YOU UNDERSTAND PEA BRAIN ?????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

garbage move

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Froggod's sake, how hard is it to understand this?:

The Sox' 2011 backup catcher:
    • was paid $2m, 1.1% of their payroll
    • in 222 ABs (250 PAs) went 11/36/.221/.300/.423/.723
    • .723 was better than half of all STARTING catchers
    • the Sox went 42-22 in his starts
    • his CERA, as always, exceeded every other Sox catcher
    • Mr. Hanky's daddy, Moonslav, is loaded for pinhead if further detail is desired

Pile on with the ageism....or that he caught Beckett's starts (though most anti-Tek knuckleheads are also anti-Beckett, and even excluding Beckett's starts doesn't dent his CERA or record much, but would improve his batting stats due to less platoon damage), or that his arm isn't what it used to be...

HE WAS A BACKUP CATCHER PAID 1.1% OF THE TEAM'S SALARY!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

I hope hes not in the final roster for Opening Day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Who cares, he is finished and should retire on his own.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]roy, if you sign these two old warhorses, then you will have to keep them and play them....you dont just sign two veterans with decades of loyal service to the team and then cut them...or stash them in AAA until you need them.... this is a big mistake...they are not good players anymore - i could care less what their "value" is...they are older, slower, and played major roles in the september collapse....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

That's not true. You absolutely can give them an invitation to spring training (non-roster) and still not keep them. It's happened plenty of times with veterans who want to play one more year. You bring them to spring training and see what happens. There are always extra bodies in spring training and it won't cut into the development of anyone else.

What if halfway through camp, Shoppach sprains an ankle. If the plan is to have Salty and a vet as the two catchers, I'd rather have Tek fill in while Shoppach heals than having to go out and pick up someone else off the scrapheap -- if the choice is between Tek and another vet. I have no problems with having Lavarnway be there instead, but the plan right now seems to be Salty and a vet (Shoppach).

And the playing major roles in the September is so much of an uninformed overstatement. Don't pretend to know exactly what went on behind the seens and who was to blame. As for what went happened on the field, Tek didn't do much in September, but if any team is depending on its backup catcher to be the key to a pennant run, that team has bigger issues. As for Wake, if he got any kind of run support or bullpen support in the first four or five games when he was at 199 -- and this was in August -- the Sox would have won the wild card.

And I'm not even advocating keeping them. I just said last fall that I wouldn't be surprised if they both got spring training invites, and I'm fine with that. Then we'll see what happens. A spring training invite is a LONG LONG way from being on the opening-day roster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

He will add nothing to the team.  It is time to move on from the older stars and provide playing time to people who will contribute in the future.  I'd rather see a 22 year old hitting .225 with teh hope that he will get better as opposed to a player in his late 30s hitting the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE] How to ruin my day!
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Yup, me also. What's the point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The problem with inviting him is he will be a distraction and everyone knows darn well, he will make the team regardless of how he does. The Red Sox would not have the nerve to cut him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]roy, if you sign these two old warhorses, then you will have to keep them and play them....you dont just sign two veterans with decades of loyal service to the team and then cut them...or stash them in AAA until you need them.... this is a big mistake...they are not good players anymore - i could care less what their "value" is...they are older, slower, and played major roles in the september collapse....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Thank you georom4. Exactly as I just posted. It's a huge mistake and will just create huge distractions in camp. Hopefully with his ego, he'll decline.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I hope this doesn't mean he remains the Captain after not standing up to Beckett and not standing up for his manager. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: V-Tek is comming back! : That's not true. You absolutely can give them an invitation to spring training (non-roster) and still not keep them. It's happened plenty of times with veterans who want to play one more year. You bring them to spring training and see what happens. There are always extra bodies in spring training and it won't cut into the development of anyone else. What if halfway through camp, Shoppach sprains an ankle. If the plan is to have Salty and a vet as the two catchers, I'd rather have Tek fill in while Shoppach heals than having to go out and pick up someone else off the scrapheap -- if the choice is between Tek and another vet. I have no problems with having Lavarnway be there instead, but the plan right now seems to be Salty and a vet (Shoppach). And the playing major roles in the September is so much of an uninformed overstatement. Don't pretend to know exactly what went on behind the seens and who was to blame. As for what went happened on the field, Tek didn't do much in September, but if any team is depending on its backup catcher to be the key to a pennant run, that team has bigger issues. As for Wake, if he got any kind of run support or bullpen support in the first four or five games when he was at 199 -- and this was in August -- the Sox would have won the wild card. And I'm not even advocating keeping them. I just said last fall that I wouldn't be surprised if they both got spring training invites, and I'm fine with that. Then we'll see what happens. A spring training invite is a LONG LONG way from being on the opening-day roster.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy why do you continue to insist that no one knew what was going on in september??? your own beloved manager called out his entire team for not supporting him or each other....the players were so miffed about the hurricane game that they had to be babied and bribed with $300 headphones during the heat of the pennant race...why is this not pertinent or reflective of the captain and the most senior member on the team????  they had an epic collapse and the individual performances of both veterans was terrible...Wake won 1 game in the last two months and as Seabeachfred pointed out, Tek batted .077 and left over a dozen men stranded in scoring position...now you want to invite them to camp...and cut them??? you really think those two would agree to go to spring training without knowing if they will be part of the team or not????

if you invite them, they will be on the roster and they will be making us a weaker, slower, older, and less successful team...

and if they do get cut, imagine the howls from folks on this board and in soxland for bouncing these veteran heroes so unceremoniously....is that really worth it???

hardly

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I'll bet that the Italian community in Springfield is happy tonight. Free spaghetti and Chianti on the House.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

He will be like Bob Montgomery - only less effective.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Reportedly there was no formal offer.

However, this move in retrospect is a complete no-brainer.  His role is quite obvious.

(Hint: Thank about who he will be backing up in Pawtucket.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Was this Cherington's big move to counter what the Yankees did today?
    Yanks get two solid starters, while Benny rumages through the dumpster.
    This guy is making Theo look good. Barf!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Facts are facts and the fact is, last year he ranked near the top among backup catchers. 

Facts are facts, and the fact is that this old man has been unable to compete in key late season games because he has been physically washed up for quite some time. A man who averages less than 60 games a season over the least 2 years, yet still can't finish off the shelf, is truly a disgrace on the 25 man roster. And for those nut cases who keep apologizing for old man Varitek as this great backup catcher, every roster spot needs to be filled by capable and fit players. Varitek is not one of them, and neither is Tim Wastefield.

2012 needs to be about merit and fit players, and those not under contract who were 2011 old man disasters do not need to be on the roster. AAA and minor league Paul Birdie is the only way to go with these old parasites who are abusing good will. No other team wants anything to do with them except on a minor league contract. They are an embarrasment to the Red Sox and 2012 does not need to have their faces seen on a team that needs new leadership.