Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmr2318. Show kmr2318's posts

Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation

Salty just looks horrible.  His meltdown against the Jays tonight airmailed the game to Toronto.  He can't hit.  He's not calling good games.

I know that it's not all him but the pitchers aren't executing their pitches but I'm beginning to shift more of the blame in Salty's direction.

All our starters can't be this erratic at once...can they?  Buchholz pitched a good game but looked inconsistent at times with alot of walks.

Does anyone else think Varitek should start?  He's no longer a hitting threat but Jesus at least we know they guy calls a good game and can stabilize the rotation.  On an unrelated note,  why is Lowrie not the starting shortstop at this point either?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Re: Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation

What do they have to lose, Salty isn't hitting anyway.  Neither are Ells & Crawford for that matter.  Watching this team is excruciating.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Now that the sox are out of it they should play the young guys for experience. Bring up some guys from Paw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

And here I thought Tek was a Bruin - the "C" on the chest threw me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation:
    [QUOTE]Salty just looks horrible.  His meltdown against the Jays tonight airmailed the game to Toronto.  He can't hit.  He's not calling good games. I know that it's not all him but the pitchers aren't executing their pitches but I'm beginning to shift more of the blame in Salty's direction. All our starters can't be this erratic at once...can they?  Buchholz pitched a good game but looked inconsistent at times with alot of walks. Does anyone else think Varitek should start?  He's no longer a hitting threat but Jesus at least we know they guy calls a good game and can stabilize the rotation.  On an unrelated note,  why is Lowrie not the starting shortstop at this point either?
    Posted by kmr2318[/QUOTE]

Now be honest were you one of the idiots who chanted trade for Salty a couple of seasons ago?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmr2318. Show kmr2318's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation : Now be honest were you one of the idiots who chanted trade for Salty a couple of seasons ago?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I always believed in Tek even when his hitting skills declined.  People don't always necessarily know all that goes into calling a great game.  How many no-hitters has this guy called now?  I think the rotation misses John Farrell as well.

Alot of today's catchers are NOT great hitters so I think we can sacrafice the offense especially if Salty isn't hitting AND not catching well.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Ya salty is a bust. I think we can all see why texas gave up on him. That passed ball was down right pathetic. 99% of catchers could have blocked that. It goes right through satly's legs. He is terrible at the dish. 3 ball no strike count and he ends up poping up. Like how bad is he? And crawford looks like he is not even making an effort. He just waves at pitches left, right, and center. And I thought this guy was supposed to be a good fielder? That ball he totally missed and let drop earlier in the game was down right embarassing. $142 million for what? Ya this guy is better than matt holliday? John Lackey instead of cliff lee? Nice work theo. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Varitek is now part of the problem not part of the solution - its obvious.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

I am not sure VTEK could do it this is the first time I have seen a redsox game and BUCH couldn't seem to hit the target. I haven't seen any of the other games so if I don't know what I am saying let me know. It seemed that if BUCH hit the area that salty was framing good things happened but that didn't seem to happen to often. This is just my first time watching the RedSox, Might just be me?????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No doubt a catcher can truly be a detriment to a pitcher, but for those making statements that essentially give a pitchers great outings to the work of Varitek is ludicrous,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmr2318. Show kmr2318's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation:
    [QUOTE]No doubt a catcher can truly be a detriment to a pitcher, but for those making statements that essentially give a pitchers great outings to the work of Varitek is ludicrous,

Wow. What a ridiculous statment that Varitek has no impact on the quality of the pitching staff.  LOL on that one.

His effect on the pitching staff is legendary and espeically how he manages it. Josh Beckett pitched a masterpiece Sunday night against the Yankees and it was not a coincidence that Varitek was behind the plate. V-Tek knows when to make visits to the mound, is smart when calling pitches, and overall is a very intelligent ball player.

Yeah, what a slouch V-TEK has been in his career. I'm sure that it is pure coincidence that he's behind the plate on all these occassions.  No, he doesn't make his rotation better at all.  Nothing to do with it.  LOL!

Varitek:  Has caught a Major League record four official no-hitters
    • Hideo Nomo: April 4, 2001 vs Baltimore
    • Derek Lowe: April 27, 2002 vs Tampa Bay
    • Clay Buchholz: September 1, 2007 vs Baltimore (Clay's No-Hitter was his second Major League start)
    • Jon Lester: May 19, 2008 vs Kansas City

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

Bucholz pitched a good game? He failed to get into the 6th inning again, and walked a guy per inning. That is pitching a BAD game. He has been awful. I thought his stats would regress a bit, due to his incredible luck on BAOBIP last year, but he looks completley lost out there this year. That being said, he is still a talented kid, who should improve as the year goes on. I would be more concerned about Bard, Jenks, Wheeler.... the set-up guys in the pen have been BRUTAL. The BoSox will get hot at some point and be right in the thick of things come pennant time, but that bullpen will be a growing concern as the year goes on......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Wow. What a ridiculous statment that Varitek has no impact on the quality of the pitching staff. LOL on that one.

His effect on the pitching staff is legendary and espeically how he manages it. Josh Beckett pitched a masterpiece Sunday night against the Yankees and it was not a coincidence that Varitek was behind the plate. V-Tek knows when to make visits to the mound, is smart when calling pitches, and overall is a very intelligent ball player.

Yeah, what a slouch V-TEK has been in his career. I'm sure that it is pure coincidence that he's behind the plate on all these occassions. No, he doesn't make his rotation better at all. Nothing to do with it. LOL!

Varitek: Has caught a Major League record four official no-hitters
    • Hideo Nomo: April 4, 2001 vs Baltimore
    • Derek Lowe: April 27, 2002 vs Tampa Bay
    • Clay Buchholz: September 1, 2007 vs Baltimore (Clay's No-Hitter was his second Major League start)
    • Jon Lester: May 19, 2008 vs Kansas City  -----kmr

--------------------------------------------------------

I completely agree.  I don't know how they are going to replace him. He's been invaluable to this team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Varitek is now part of the problem not part of the solution - its obvious.

Funny, I said the exact same thing about you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

I think it is fairly obvious that V-Tek has a HUGE positive impact on the pitchers he handles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Only to those who have open minds...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yep lets ink him to another 5 years - after all what would be do without him?

harness don't let the door to this forum hit you in the azz on your way to the la la utopia Private Group forum.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from levasseujj. Show levasseujj's posts

2 words...Bengie Molina

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Now that the sox are out of it they should play the young guys for experience. Bring up some guys from Paw.
    Posted by thefly8[/QUOTE]

......did I miss half the season????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Varitek is 39 and showing it.   He can't catch any more than 2 games each week.    It's Saltalamaccia or bust.    Theo has no real trading chips to offer in order to get a real servicable catcher.
    Teams don't start throwing up white flags and make deals until June-July.    By then, Saltalamaccia will have done a lot of damage.
    It's only the reality of the situation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmr2318. Show kmr2318's posts

Another WIN with V-TEK as the signal caller behind the plate.  Beckett's line:  one run on three hits over seven innings while recording two walks and nine strikeouts. Time to start V-TEK and place Salty as the back up!

Beofre today Varitek has caught three games thusfar, which isn’t a huge sample size, but hear me out. One was Daisuke who was a seesaw all season last year, and has always been horribly inconsistent. The other two? Josh Beckett’s 8 INN, 10K, 0 ER performance against the Yanks, and Lester’s 7 INN, 8K, 3 ER performance against the Rays.

Salty gave up 26 ER against the Rangers (3 games), 10 ER against the Yankees (2 games), and 16 ER in the one game against the Rays, a team that couldn’t generate ANY offense prior to playing us.

Now, how is someone going to say it’s the pitching staff?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Have Varitek squat with Buchholz, et al, this year. You are talking nonsense. Pitchers decide what they throw, where they throw it, and when. VMart just caught a shutout from Phil "Coke".  Varitek vs. the other catchers of the years on the Red Sox comparision hasn't been impressive at all.

Varitek is an urban legend who will never make the HOF but there are some who want to pretend that he transforms chicken crap into gold.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Another WIN with V-TEK as the signal caller behind the plate.  Beckett's line:  one run on three hits over seven innings while recording two walks and nine strikeouts. Time to start V-TEK and place Salty as the back up! Beofre today Varitek has caught three games thusfar, which isn’t a huge sample size, but hear me out. One was Daisuke who was a seesaw all season last year, and has always been horribly inconsistent. The other two? Josh Beckett’s 8 INN, 10K, 0 ER performance against the Yanks, and Lester’s 7 INN, 8K, 3 ER performance against the Rays. Salty gave up26 ER against the Rangers (3 games), 10 ER against the Yankees (2 games), and 16 ER in the one game against the Rays, a team that couldn’t generate ANY offense prior to playing us. Now, how is someone going to say it’s the pitching staff?
    Posted by kmr2318[/QUOTE]

No, Salty didn't give up...
    This is getting out of hand.
    A few years ago, the same posters who wanted to ride Tek out of town now see him as the knight in shining armor. It's a poor reflection of how quickly human nature can turn on someone - then turn back.

Yes, I do think Tek makes a difference. I've shown it in several examples, the latest being a team record of 62-27 when he catches Beckett. 11-14 when other do.
    But this start to 2011 goes beyond a catcher's relevance. And until our starting 5 find some consistency of form, blaming Salty is unfair and premature.

I was for a catching tandem. I was against throwing Salty to the wolves as a FT catcher in the A.L. East. But it may prove out. Sometimes being in the line of fire can determine whether you break down...or cut it. 
     If it's the former, then I say go with a Tek/Salty tandem and take some of the pressure off this kid.

Giving up on him after 13 games in not the answer. If that were the case, we'd have to give up on most of the team.

I'm not saying Salty is blameless. I am saying he's becoming a scapegoat.
    Kinda like Tek was when he couldn't hit due to playing hurt.
    If you are gonna blame players, at least wait until there's a valid frame of reference.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Yep lets ink him to another 5 years - after all what would be do without him? harness don't let the door to this forum hit you in the azz on your way to the la la utopia Private Group forum.

I'm not going anywhere. I'll be where ever you aren't wanted, which covers any forum. That is, within the confines of my own country.
    Look how far you had to go to find a haven.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindawitz1. Show Lindawitz1's posts

Dunno I think having Vtek in there a little more 2-3 times a week can't hurt at this point.  Not sure Saltalamaccia is up to it - hope he comes around - hope they're looking for a catcher and hope they're looking to trade Daisuke for ANYTHING