Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lscheue. Show lscheue's posts

Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

Tek cannot lay off a high fast ball.  It wouldn't surprise me if one day he jumps to reach one.

However,  Scutaro is one crafty batter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : How do you manage a "thing"? I bet you would be an awesome manager for a team of kitchen tables.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

lol that was funny

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

varitek made a mistake for sure on that 3-0 pitch that was probably ball 4, but it was certainly not the biggest mistake ever made.

he is again struggling at the plate, could have been pinch hit for, etc, etc, but his poor swing at a bad pitch did not cost the team the game.

let's move on and win the minnesota series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : WOW! I did not know this Kimmi. I bet those 246 pitches were some of the most hittable balls Youk has ever seen.  Pitchers know they can just groove one right down the middle. He should swing at a few, just to keep them honest.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I heard it during a broadcast about a month ago, and was quite surprised.   I wasn't sure if I heard it correctly, so I looked it up, and B-R confirms it.   It's amazing what they keep stats on.

I agree, Youk should swing now and then to keep them honest.  The other teams have to know this about him. 

Maybe he's waiting for that one extremely crucial AB when the WS is on the line or something.  The opposing pitcher will throw him a FB right down broadway and WHAM!  -  game winning walk off HR to win the WS.   Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Even if Francona gave him the green light, he swung at a pitch at the top of the strike zone near the outside part of the plate. That pitch is hard to hit for good hitters.

The baffling part is Varitek mouthing the word "Wow" as he walked back to the dugout. What was he Wowing?

Lastly, Varitek this year is 0 for 10 with the bases loaded. At the rate he's going (.180 since July 1), he won't be above .220 at the end of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : I heard it during a broadcast about a month ago, and was quite surprised.   I wasn't sure if I heard it correctly, so I looked it up, and B-R confirms it.   It's amazing what they keep stats on. I agree, Youk should swing now and then to keep them honest.  The other teams have to know this about him.  Maybe he's waiting for that one extremely crucial AB when the WS is on the line or something.  The opposing pitcher will throw him a FB right down broadway and WHAM!  -  game winning walk off HR to win the WS.  
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Kimmi - Nice stat, thanks. I'm guessing he doesn't swing at those because he's the "Greek God of Walks".  Funny looking back at the 'Moneyball' quote now, knowing that he's Jewish and not Greek. Maybe in the new movie they will
    refer to him as the "Jewish God of Walks".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]Even if Francona gave him the green light, he swung at a pitch at the top of the strike zone near the outside part of the plate. That pitch is hard to hit for good hitters. The baffling part is Varitek mouthing the word "Wow" as he walked back to the dugout. What was he Wowing? Lastly, Varitek this year is 0 for 10 with the bases loaded. At the rate he's going (.180 since July 1), he won't be above .220 at the end of the year.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

You seem to be the King of the Debbie Downers for starting this thread. Is this all that you came away with after watching last night's game?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Varitek is one of three players who swung at 3-0 counts in big situations this weekend.

Guess the thread-starter decided to overlook that little fact in order to take aim at Tek.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSFAN2. Show RSFAN2's posts

In Response to Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    [QUOTE]Jason Varitek, hitting .180 since July 1 is swinging on a 3-0 pitch with baserunners on 1st and 2nd with one out? And to make it worse, he swings very late on a high fastball and doesn't even put in in play. Explain
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    Not only that, but don't you think Tito should have pinch hit Salty for Tek with a man on 3rd late in the game last night when he was struggling ? Just wanted to get your opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm with you guys. Damn, we could have won that game last night and been one game up in the standings today with the second-best record in all of baseball!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting stat of the day: Youkilis has never swung on a 3-0 count in his entire big league career.   He's had 246 3-0 counts, and he has taken every time.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

That's incredible.  I am not going to criticise a guy that has been so successful, but you do have to wonder if he's missing out on something i.e. 3-0 and 3-1 counts turn everyone into Babe Ruth on steroids and if pitchers "know" he's not going to swing are they sending some meatballs down the middle?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Bad Francoma decisions:

V-tex swinging on 3--0

Failing in Spring Training to teach middle infielders to place glove w/ball in front of base and let runners slide into the tag (vs the wild swipe Scutaro made allowing a runner to slide under the tag).

Refusal to command Pappi to lay down a bunt down the 3rd base side when he could roll down the first base line and be safe. Especially late in a close game and then come out for a pinch runner.

Ellsbury layng down a bunt that I could have fielded off the mond and thrown him out. Don't these guys practice these things?

All issues point to incompetent management. Of course they're talented, even great. But imagine what this team could be with fundamentals added to their aresenal. Alas . . . 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : That's incredible.  I am not going to criticise a guy that has been so successful, but you do have to wonder if he's missing out on something i.e. 3-0 and 3-1 counts turn everyone into Babe Ruth on steroids and if pitchers "know" he's not going to swing are they sending some meatballs down the middle?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

I think Youk has the Sox organizational patience-wears-em-down philosophy so ingrained that, given the choice, he sees the benefit of the pitcher having to use at least two more pitches on the night as outweighing the potential benefit of crushing a 3-0 cookie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Good post. With all the gloom and doom on this thread one would think the Sox lost last night.

Tito managed well enough as far as I'm concerned because the Sox won and that's all that matters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Good post. With all the gloom and doom on this thread one would think the Sox lost last night. Tito managed well enough as far as I'm concerned because the Sox won and that's all that matters.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]
    You mean they didnt'??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    [QUOTE]Jason Varitek, hitting .180 since July 1 is swinging on a 3-0 pitch with baserunners on 1st and 2nd with one out? And to make it worse, he swings very late on a high fastball and doesn't even put in in play. Explain
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Its obvious Tek supporters are probably upset over last nights performance and probably the fact his BA has once again dipped below 230.  In Teks defense he has done a great job with the staff and Salty this season so we shouldn't expect much to change offensively at this point.  Yes, Jason should have used better judgement but we missed other opportunities to get runners across as well.  I believe Jacoby was up twice with bases loaded and just couldn't get a runner across.

It happens, Tek like anyone on the team can have these days.  The important thing is we still won the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : How do you manage a "thing"? I bet you would be an awesome manager for a team of kitchen tables.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Actually, manager is the incorrect term for the head of a team. Head Coach would be more appropriate. General Manager is correct because he manages the operations (thing) of the team.
    Again I say, You don't manage people, you lead them

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I still can't believe he drew a walk last night.

I guess Freddy Garcia will be cut today due to the MLB Rule that if you give Jason Varitek a free pass you are automatically kicked out of the union

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Varitek is the only guy I know who can have complete command of the strike zone as a defender, knowing how to frame and how to call the right pitches, and knowing when to stand and call for a high pitch, and yet can't apply his knowledge to his batting approach. The strike zone be damned when Tek hits. It's literally like he has no idea that a pitcher will either bounce a pitch on 0-2 or throw a high fastball away. He can't lay off pitches, and that's too bad. By now, he should be more polished at the plate due to his knowledge. He still hits for power and has delivered some big hits, and I want him back next year too. But when he looks bad at the plate, it's legendary bad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Terry gives green light on 3-0 not a mistake when 99% of the time it is grooved and meant for hitting.
    Tek swung at a high pitch mistake.

I can not believe there are 50+ posts here about this one minor mistake.

Get over it it will happen again. Not all 3-0 swings are meant to be Trot Nixon off the wall hits. It works and it doesn't work.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Bad Francoma decisions: V-tex swinging on 3--0 Failing in Spring Training to teach middle infielders to place glove w/ball in front of base and let runners slide into the tag (vs the wild swipe Scutaro made allowing a runner to slide under the tag). Refusal to command Pappi to lay down a bunt down the 3rd base side when he could roll down the first base line and be safe. Especially late in a close game and then come out for a pinch runner. Ellsbury layng down a bunt that I could have fielded off the mond and thrown him out. Don't these guys practice these things? All issues point to incompetent management. Of course they're talented, even great. But imagine what this team could be with fundamentals added to their aresenal. Alas . . . 
    Posted by tjwoods[/QUOTE]

i dont know if you are being sarcastic here or matter of fact.
    the point is, other than laying blame on tito for not teaching it, you are absolutely right. these guys are not playing sound fundamentals and a hitting/fielding coach should be doing their job to help them improve.
    i guess that doesnt happen because we have "superstars". still it's down to the manager to make sure fundamentals are worked on. if these lack of fundamentals show, you practice them. here, especially with papi, i guess players might be insulted (if he were asked to practice laying down a bunt to 3rd). just shows you what the culture is of the team. i'm still happy tito keeps everyone happy. but i wouldnt mind a good filed manager on the team as well, and that every player be held accountable to work at baseball fundamentals and getting better. that's baseball. a good cop bad cop might be a good thing for our team.

and enough with the " don't complain, we're in first place".
    we're just talking baseball here on a baseball thread about...........
     baseball.
    talking baseball is allowed.
    it's also great to appreciate things and remind people who may lose that fact.
    however, there is probably more "complaining" by people making accusations of "complaining" than the initial baseball comments made by posters (yes, apparently with a few exceptions :)

lighten up. we all do this for fun.
    let's talk baseball, agree, disagree, learn from other's thoughts, share highs and lows. attacks are no fun; just boring, tedious, unpleasant and display a lack of peace within.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Terry gives green light on 3-0 not a mistake when 99% of the time it is grooved and meant for hitting. Tek swung at a high pitch mistake. I can not believe there are 50+ posts here about this one minor mistake. Get over it it will happen again. Not all 3-0 swings are meant to be Trot Nixon off the wall hits. It works and it doesn't work.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

winning the game is great. mistakes are meant to be learned from or possibly pay a higher price in a more important situation.

tek is not a great hitter and not a contact hitter and hitting poorly.
    the call should have been a take. he wouldve walked. th epitch was a ball. the result would have been a run with the later hit. in a playoff game, if we dont get 2 late hits as we did at the end of this game, the right call next time wins the game. that's why it matters. so we dont lose NEXT time making the wrong call.

peace

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Tek is experiencing his usual 2nd half of the season swoon and my sense is that when Beckett comes out so should Tek. Someone posted that he is hitting .180 since July 1st and he's swinging at a 3-0 pitch. That's nuts! He's into that part of the season where he rarely, if ever, evens gets his bat on the ball. Only the best hitters on the team should have the green light for that. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"Alex, I'll take 'dwelling on little things' for 500".

lets mention every time they dont sacrifice, dont steal with a 2-0 count........

exhausting. they're in first place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE] Tek is experiencing his usual 2nd half of the season swoon and my sense is that when Beckett comes out so should Tek. Someone posted that he is hitting .180 since July 1st and he's swinging at a 3-0 pitch. That's nuts! He's into that part of the season where he rarely, if ever, evens gets his bat on the ball. Only the best hitters on the team should have the green light for that. 
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Very true, Tek is the most unlikely guy to give a green light to in that situation.