Victorino is better than Reddick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Victorino is better than Reddick

Remember last year when you were all mad that the Red Sox let go of Reddick, and then you were even madder when they signed Victorino?

I never liked Reddick and was glad they dumped him.  Even last year he had two good months and was horrible the rest of the time. He is a career 237 hitter with a career 723 OPS.   This year he is hitting 213 with a 659 OPS. Ugh.

Victorino is old school. he is a baseball player. Plus defense Plus arm. Plus speed and a better offensive player. Career 277 with a 772 OPS. this year 292 and 792.

He's just better.  Reddick will be a 4th outfielder by 2015.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Victorino is better than Reddick

Most of Cherington's offseason moves have been vindicated.  Victorino, Napoli, Drew and Gomes have all been solid contributors over the course of the season.

Victorino is really showing he's a special player now.  Seems like his recent hitting tear had a lot to do with the change to hitting from the right side only.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Reddick has a lot of swing and miss in his swing, but he has power.  Good power.  He also has an above average arm and plus defense.  Still with his low avg and low OBP and the fact that he's a liability with RISP I think the sox would have gone out of their way to replace him in a playoff run.

Victorino is better.  The only thing he doesn't have is Reddicks power and it's not as if Vic has none.  shane is as good or better in every facet of the game.  I hope he plays like this the next two years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2012 + 2013

Games     RBi    wRC+     UZR        WAR

SV       252       96       98         29.1         7.2

JR      253        131     99           31          6.5

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The question I would pose as we start commenting on Vic vs. Reddick is who will come and go this year?

Vic and Demp are here , for 1-2 more years...Ells, Salty, Drew and Nap...are FA to be. Of the four will any be back? I say yes/no unless BenC really wants them back.

My questions:

Is Ells so much better in CF than Vic or JBJ?-----$100 M for Ells????--gone.

Is Nap that much better than WMB/ Carp/Nava @ 1 B for a 3 year deal of $40 M?--gone.

Is Drew that much better than Xander/Holt/ Marrero @ SS for a 3 year deal of $30 M?--gone.

Is Salty that much better than a combo of Ross and Vazquez?  Salty stays with a 3 year deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

2012 + 2013

Games     RBi    wRC+     UZR        WAR

SV       152       96       98         29.1         7.2

JR      253        131     99           31          6.5

Fixed it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The question I would pose as we start commenting on Vic vs. Reddick is who will come and go this year?

Vic and Demp are here , for 1-2 more years...Ells, Salty, Drew and Nap...are FA to be. Of the four will any be back? I say yes/no unless BenC really wants them back.

My questions:

Is Ells so much better in CF than Vic or JBJ?-----$100 M for Ells????--gone.

Is Nap that much better than WMB/ Carp/Nava @ 1 B for a 3 year deal of $40 M?--gone.

Is Drew that much better than Xander/Holt/ Marrero @ SS for a 3 year deal of $30 M?--gone.

Is Salty that much better than a combo of Ross and Vazquez?  Salty stays with a 3 year deal.

I agree that will most likely be what happens, but I really think this team is better with Ells on it....I also think the sox would like to sign him, but he is going to have to give them a home team discount and that will only happen if he tells Boras to make a deal because he wants to stay in Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

ah yes indeedy. my three amigos. Victorino,gomes and napoli........I have to chuckle cause if you took those three guys and put em into everyday clothes and coveralls, they'd look like three kentucky moonshiners. lol.....

love those guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Also Reddick have missed over 30 games this year as well, the latest rumor is that Reddick injured his wrist just like Middlebrook.  

Dont need another often injured player on the roster.   

Glad Victorino is on the roster cuz of his excellent experience including post season and his defense.   I would easily take Victorino over Reddick at any time and any day!!

Good job Ben for signing him!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the only reason some posters were not in favor of the Victorino signing, myslef included was they thought he was on the down slope career wise.....he was dealing with inuries and seemed to have gotten old quickly....something that used to happen alot to players pre PED days....I have to say, we were wrong....he plays the game hard, still has amazing quickness, and his a better Outfielder than I thought, not seeing him everyday.....really was a great signing....as was most of Ben's signings this offseason

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Remember last year when you were all mad that the Red Sox let go of Reddick, and then you were even madder when they signed Victorino?

I never liked Reddick and was glad they dumped him.  Even last year he had two good months and was horrible the rest of the time. He is a career 237 hitter with a career 723 OPS.   This year he is hitting 213 with a 659 OPS. Ugh.

Victorino is old school. he is a baseball player. Plus defense Plus arm. Plus speed and a better offensive player. Career 277 with a 772 OPS. this year 292 and 792.

DAD & BILL-806 concur !!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vic is a plus at this point if he stays healthy but the comparison isn't valid.

Vic will make 13 mil Reddick makes about half a mil.

[/QU

but where will we find a guy that can make 5 millions dollars a year and is better than either Reddick or Victorino.

MLB signings today are all awful.  I dont think much about $$$ anymore cuz at least 10 guys on the Red Sox roster do not deserve to make more than 10 millions dollars a year.  But that is the way MLB function in nowsdays!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Vic is a plus at this point if he stays healthy but the comparison isn't valid.

Vic will make 13 mil Reddick makes about half a mil.

It's true.  Some guys get way overpaid and some get way underpaid.  Just the way the MLB system works.

This highlights why Bogaerts and Bradley will be such key players for us next year. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

$$ is irrelevant as they took $250MM off the books last season.

although we may all be complaining about the 13MM in year 3 if hurt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

You seem to have your own versions of what went on a year ago on this forum.  Perhaps a link or two would refresh memories.

Re: Ben should have made Ross a qualifying offer.

posted at 12/26/2012 4:43 PM EST

• georom4
    • First: 4/9/2009
    • Last: 8/27/2013

the real question mark is Victorino worth more than 5 million more than Ross a year x3? look at ther stats last year and tell me who was the better player.....

gomes is insurance - i understand that....but seems like an unnecessary gamble imo letting cody walk and getting shane for 3/39

Re: Is Swish coming to Fenway?

posted at 12/24/2012 9:47 AM EST

• Alibiike
    • First: 2/1/2011
    • Last: 8/2/2013

In response to carnie's comment:

Wow. I would say that's a pretty big overpay.

14M/yr for Swisher as opposed to 13M/yr for Victorino. Yeah, that a real big overpay!
    What say you and I make a bet on who produces more?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That's funny

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Hugh, Tom-UK's numbers are right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to eggplants' comment:

Hugh, Tom-UK's numbers are right.

Yes they are....I forgot VICTORINO played for two teams in 2012.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

There weren't many of us on this thread this past off season who supported Ben's moves. The Victorino signing seemed to be one that upset many the most. To all the stat guys who killed this signing because of his LH #'s hopefully now understand there's alot more to a player than just #'s this guy brings great defense and and energy to the team that can't be explained. The 3yrs @ 39 doesn't look so bad now, the best part like a few of said was that it was for only 3 yrs.

The best part is Shane is tied for 1st in runs saved this year [Lorenzo Cain] and his 4.3 WAR in 23rd in the league. Most experts say 1 WAR = 5 mil in salary, means Shanes salary should be about 21.5 mil. Nice job Ben! Who ever thought it would be a bargain?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I supported his moves!!!!!!

My standpoint over the winter was these moves gave as several good players for 1-3 years instead of going out and signing one potentially bad long term contract.  I thought weaware building a bridge to a strong farm growing closer to contributing yet giving the team the opportunity to win NOW.  I stand by that then, and I stand by it now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I supported his moves!!!!!!

My standpoint over the winter was these moves gave as several good players for 1-3 years instead of going out and signing one potentially bad long term contract.  I thought weaware building a bridge to a strong farm growing closer to contributing yet giving the team the opportunity to win NOW.  I stand by that then, and I stand by it now.

Perhaps Cherington's best move was in bringing back Farrel. Who along with the players signed changed what was a dysfunctional clubhouse and return the focus to playing good baseball.