posted at 10/6/2011 11:22 AM EDT
In Response to Re: Vindication
[QUOTE]Vindication for what? So the arm chair Monday morning quarterbacks, that'll be taking the same shots at the the next guy who fails to win 162 games and then sweep his way to a WS? Can say see I told you so? Was it Francona's fault that Papelbon blew the final game of the season? Was it his fault that our best two starters went 1-9 in September...Was it his fault that we never truly bolstered our starting rotation after losing 2/5th of the opening day starting five...hardly Was he responsible for the September collapse? I find that hard to believe...was it time for a change...obviously
Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
LOOK.... I love Tito, but YES! It is, in large part, his fault. As he said, "I could not reach many of the guys!" Whatever the reason, it still remains that Tito lost control! THIS FACT, in his own words, is not mutually exclusive of PLENTY OF BLAME on the players, MGMT, the FO, & ownership. The clubhouse & what happens between the lines & on the game time bench? That's Tito! HE MUST set the tone!
The problems were PAINFULLY OBVIOUS as far back as Spring Training. This is not an I Told You So, but I loudly expressed my feelings that our guys were not ready to play all through ST! I continued to say so for the first month of the season. The only reason for such a historically aweful start & finish is leadership! Tito was the main person responsible for that TEAM LEADERSHIP. THIS TEAM did not need the laissez faire leadership that Tito was so used to giving. HE is responsible for NOT MAKING A CHANGE! HE fell asleep at the switch, & left the inmates to run the asylum!!! This in NO WAY excuses the players who did not step up!!!!! It does not excuse the FO or ownership!!!!!!
BUT.... It in no way excuses Tito from a HUGE PART of the blame! Anybody who uses the player problems that keep trickling out as AN EXCUSE to divert any blame from Tito, are simply kidding themselves!
Where do we go from here????
* Ownership must DEMAND a change in organizational culture!
* No more laissez faire management.
* They must find a STRONG LEADER to manage this team, who demands professionalism from his players. Demands that players train hard & keep to a strong work ethic throughout the season. OR THEY SIT!
* The 2004 idiots were not special because they were idiots! It's because they were a hard working, fun loving bunch, who came together as a TEAM! They had fun & stayed loose, but they worked hard to have eachother's backs! They grinded out EVERY SINGLE AT BAT.... BECAUSE THEY WERE PREPARED TO DO SO! They did it for eachother!
* Some players simply MUST GO! Lackey is ONE obvious choice! There are others!
* The much vaunted Pitcher Training & Strengthening program must be reexamined!
* Other position players who come to camp out of shape should be sanctioned!
Out of time....... This is just the start of a MUST DO LIST!
STOP WITH THE BLAME SHIFTING! Somebody let the inmates run the asylum???
What would happen if a teacher left their classroom for hours at a time????? What would happen to the classroom if the teacher had ZERO RULES???????
Even the good kids would become disillusioned! They would give up on the classroom! They would try their best to do their best on THEIR WORK, but even they would lose focus! THIS is what happened!!!