Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?

The Giants are looking for an outfielder--could Ells, Pods or Cody be targets?

Will Beckett be of interest to teams needing pitching--the Angels need help and so do the Rangers--the Angels get a draw before the Rangers.

The Dodgers and Giants could use another arm--that race is too close to call.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?

I would say who gets traded will depend upon how much money the Sox will have to pick up for guys like Beckett, or what kind of prospects/players they can get for the other guys you mentioned.

Aviles and a bullpen arm or two might also be considered when thinking of a trade or two.  Cook could also fall into this category as well although I do like him.

With Crawford going for surgery, Middlebrooks injured and Ortiz not yet back from his heel injury it is time to start thinking of next (and future) year.

Trading a guy like Ross for a young major league ready pitcher would not be a bad idea.  He could be resigned again next winter.  Same thing with Aviles for a solid prospect pitcher.  Ellsbury should bring much more than Ross and Aviles combined.  For Ellsbury I would think that at least one young major league ready pitcher, a very solid younger pitching prospect, a quality hitting prospect and perhaps two very young guys who project as major leaguers at some point.  Posednik should bring back a decent pitching prospect.

Too bad no one will want Matsuzaka.  I hope that he has thrown his last pitch in a Red Sox uniform.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't think they will make any moves of significance simply because Cherrington doesn't have the autonomy necessary to make big moves. Maybe Aviles or Cook but that's about the extent of his control.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would say who gets traded will depend upon how much money the Sox will have to pick up for guys like Beckett, or what kind of prospects/players they can get for the other guys you mentioned.

Possibly getting below the luxury tax limit for this year could be a factor as well that could help mitigate trading a high salary player, but only if the long-term Sox plan is to go over the limit in the near future years.

Aviles and a bullpen arm or two might also be considered when thinking of a trade or two.  Cook could also fall into this category as well although I do like him.

I'm fine with dealing Aviles, even with 2 more arb years left.

With Crawford going for surgery, Middlebrooks injured and Ortiz not yet back from his heel injury it is time to start thinking of next (and future) year.

I agree.

Trading a guy like Ross for a young major league ready pitcher would not be a bad idea.  He could be resigned again next winter.  

If Ross is traded, he will go to a contender. We should trade him for him for any decent prospect or two, even if they may be years away or non-pitchers. Ross finishing the season in Boston is of no value to us.

Yes, if we trade him, we should sit him down and tell him we loved how he played here, and will be talking to him this winter.

Same thing with Aviles for a solid prospect pitcher.  

Teams rarely trade solid pitching prospects for an average SS with 2 years of team control.

Ellsbury should bring much more than Ross and Aviles combined.  For Ellsbury I would think that at least one young major league ready pitcher, a very solid younger pitching prospect, a quality hitting prospect and perhaps two very young guys who project as major leaguers at some point. 

More likely that Ellsbury is dealth this winter.

Posednik should bring back a decent pitching prospect.

Pods was up for grabs just a few days ago.

Too bad no one will want Matsuzaka.  I hope that he has thrown his last pitch in a Red Sox uniform.

Consider it done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot.

Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?:
    [QUOTE]Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot. Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

It would not necessarily be a non- contender , but a lot of teams would have to pass before S.F. got a shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot. Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I bet we could get one of the Yankees top pitching prospects for a 2 month Big Papi rental.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?:
    Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot. Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's?
    Posted by moonslav59

It would not necessarily be a non- contender , but a lot of teams would have to pass before S.F. got a shot.

1) SF is not the only team with prospects.
    2) If trading Ross puts us under the luxury tax limit, then getting anyone is worth it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers? : Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot. Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's? Posted by moonslav59 It would not necessarily be a non- contender , but a lot of teams would have to pass before S.F. got a shot. 1) SF is not the only team with prospects. 2) If trading Ross puts us under the luxury tax limit, then getting anyone is worth it.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    The opening post mentioned the Giants. I have no problem with trading Ross to them or another team. I'm all for it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?:
    In Response to  Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers? : Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot. Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's? Posted by moonslav59 It would not necessarily be a non- contender , but a lot of teams would have to pass before S.F. got a shot. 1) SF is not the only team with prospects. 2) If trading Ross puts us under the luxury tax limit, then getting anyone is worth it.
    Posted by moonslav59

The opening post mentioned the Giants. I have no problem with trading Ross to them or another team. I'm all for it.

Pittsburgh is in high need of a corner OF'er as well and has some nice prospects.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers? : In Response to  Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers? : Any player would have to clear waivers before one of the top contenders could have a shot. Yes, but what non-contender would claim Ross or other FA's- to -be's? Posted by moonslav59 It would not necessarily be a non- contender , but a lot of teams would have to pass before S.F. got a shot. 1) SF is not the only team with prospects. 2) If trading Ross puts us under the luxury tax limit, then getting anyone is worth it. Posted by moonslav59 The opening post mentioned the Giants. I have no problem with trading Ross to them or another team. I'm all for it. Pittsburgh is in high need of a corner OF'er as well and has some nice prospects.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I like Gerrit Cole a lot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

I mentioned Pittsburgh as a good match before the July deadline, and I still believe it.  They continue to play Garret Jones in RF, and he is awful defensively.  They would help their team a ton by trading for Ross and putting Jones at 1B.  James McDonald was pitching very well, but he has struggled and been rumored to the bullpen.  I am assuming a move to the bullpen would be necessitated if a trade for a Beckett or Cook took place.  In the end I think Aviles and/ or Ross would be of more appeal to Pitt than any pitcher, as their offense has been horrible.

Gerrit Cole is out of the conversation, however.  But, Pittsburgh has a number of very good, close to ML ready talent.

How about Big Papi as a rental to the Rays?  No team has more young talent than them, and no team needs his bat more than him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They should move Bailey to someone who needs a reliever for the stretch run.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonismine. Show bostonismine's posts

As much as they should,they won't  this team has done nothing but shoot in the wrong direction an their incompetency is glaring !!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gerrit Cole is out of the conversation, however.  But, Pittsburgh has a number of very good, close to ML ready talent...

The Sox could trade Ross & a nice prospect for Cole.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why you want to get rid alot of guys?  Ben would have to start all over and sign bunch of new players.

Bailey, Ross, Morales, Pod, etc all should stay with the team next year.  They are all a valuable players.  

I am telling you all, this coming free agency is going to be a worst one in a while.  I dont want Ben to spend $$$$ for the newly free agent guys.  They are probably worser than Ross, Morales, Pod, Bailey.

Come on.  Boston would just stay pat, and move on.  They will make alot of serious moves in the off season!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ross is a FA and I believe Pods is also. Dice K is a FA.

Hopefully Morales and Bailey will be offered contracts for next season.

They have many decisions with the 40 man roster. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ross is a FA and I believe Pods is also. Dice K is a FA.

Hopefully Morales and Bailey will be offered contracts for next season.

They have many decisions with the 40 man roster. 

Yes, and my point has been to seriously look to trade almsot all of our 
                                             "Free Agents To Be" 
    on waiver deals, since we lose them anyways after this year, or can re-sign them if we want this winter.

Ortiz: Not the way to end papi's career in Boston, so not Papi.

Dice-K: Doubtful that anyone would take him unless we paid almost all the roughly $2M still owed him.

Ross: Could net us a very decent prospect or two. Pittsburgh & SF both need a corner OF'er and offensive help in a bad way.

Cook: The window may have closed on Aaron after his last 2 starts. Oh well!

Padilla: Could net a midlevel prospect.

Right now, Cot's has us at $175.2M total for 2012. I believe we are very close to being under the luxury tax limit. If trading 2-3 of these guys now would get us under the limit, then that is reason enough to do it, even if the prospects are all long shots.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Sean McAdam reports on MLBTR that AGon was put on Waivers before gametime.
    He reported the Dodgers had expressed interst before the trade deadline. Probably nothing will happen but as has been said in many threads--this type of inquiry may lead to something in the off season.

Ben may have a direction he plans to go in that may not include several of the veterans.

That would certainly free up some dollars and get them close to the Luxury Tax threshhold.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?": [QUOTE]I don't think they will make any moves of significance simply because Cherrington doesn't have the autonomy necessary to make big moves. Maybe Aviles or Cook but that's about the extent of his control. Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE] He doesn't have the anatomy either.............missing a brain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Waiver deadline will the Sox be sellers?": [QUOTE]Sean McAdam reports on MLBTR that AGon was put on Waivers before gametime. He reported the Dodgers had expressed interst before the trade deadline. Probably nothing will happen but as has been said in many threads--this type of inquiry may lead to something in the off season. Ben may have a direction he plans to go in that may not include several of the veterans. That would certainly free up some dollars and get them close to the Luxury Tax threshhold. Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] The bean counters will be happy. The hell with the fans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some interesting future options at 1B in Boston:

27 Mario Gomez (387 ABs:  .310  24  74 AAA)
    22 Travis Shaw  (422 ABs:  .287   17  77 AA)

Maybe Move...
    25 Lavarnway 6' 4"
    19 Bogaerts  6  3
    21 Cecchini   6  3
    (Middlebrooks?)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

The Sox do not have a prospect in their system that could be coupled with Ross to get Cole in return.