Wake ERA now at 4.92

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Wake ERA now at 4.92

team is 11-5 in his starts

Wake has an ERA around 4.5 in his starts this season

He has given up 3 earned runs or less in 7 of his last 10 starts

and he costs a couple million a year as the NUMBER 6 starter

what a bargain and what a great addition to this club, he is really helping keep us in first place right now.

(Andrew Miller BTW.... a 6.28 ERA in his 6 July starts... Wake's ERA was almost 2 less runs per start)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Wake ERA now at 4.92

ramea, thank you for your Wake support.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His ERA could be much lower had our pen not allowed some of his inherited runners to score and some of the cheap hits that led to runs been turned into outs.

The team is 11-5 in his starts.

He has let up 3 or less ERs in 10 of his 16 starts. In 2 of his other starts, he pitched better than his line indicated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Passed ball was another wild pitch. 5 runs later, Ortiz had to bailout good ole boy. ERA near 5, and over 5 for over 2 years. Needs to hunt "been squatting a long time" records playing for the Rays. Standard blast off the launching pad, like clockwork off the Wakefield human launching pad.

Pay Wakefield's wasted money to Ortiz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Team is 6-1 in Miller's starts. So what about what team does in Wakefield's 5.0 starts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

softy, now wait a second. are you advocating Miller be in the rotation?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you realize, he's white, right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

hahaha

Softy is clueless and has been utterly murdered on all Wakefield related issues. His shameful hatred wilts under facts, stats and reality based posts.

Salty dropped a throw that would have resulted in an out at the plate tonight.

Tito left Wake in 1 inning too long in a 95 degree day and he gave up a grand slam 2 weeks back.

We already know it is dishonest to claim 'his ERA is near 5' when its in the mid 4's as a starter. It could be right around 4 had his teammates and manager helped him out more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, he wanted Miller in April and May when he was walking nearly as many batters as he had IP...in AAA!!!!!!

Yes, he talks about career ERA and career norms:
    Miller career ERA: 5.79.

Yes, he talks about Wake's 2010-2011 combined ERA.
    Miller in 2010: 8.54
    Miller in 2011: 5.44
    Do the math.

Yes, he talks about Wake's wildness.
    Wake has the lowest BB/9 of all our starters (2010-2011)

Yes, he talks about Wake's WHIP.
    Wake's WHIP is 3rd best of Sox healthy starters with 2 plus starts.

Yes, he talks about age and weight and potato salad.
    What else is new?
    Silly clown.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ramea, great point. you know you just reminded me how close Wakefield got to actually throwing 4 straight quality starts. In fact, isn't that the game he was the WP....Wakefield is a winner!!! (it's my new line for winning pitchers in today's MLB).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Aceves won his 17th straight relief decision...what does that tell you about wins in baseball when the guy who gets a blown hold, gets the win, and finishes the game with a 9.00 ERA. They are team victories, and I keep seeing just how much they are team victories more and more by games like this one. Who cares who got the "win." Well, the agents do, that's for sure. But enough people have figured out that a win is about as predictable for a SP as Josh Beckett having perhaps his best season and having only 9 wins to show for it, 1 less than the stellar John Lackey.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Right, he was a winner b/c we had like 10 runs and he'd given up 3 through 6.

If it was a 5-3 game instead of 10-3 then hopefully Tito wouldn't send him out with like 93 pitches to start the 7th... but I guess he's so used to 'ol rubber arm bailing out the pen that he didn't care much if the 45 year old man was sweating buckets and had already done his job for the day.

Again, what more can you ask of a #6 starter...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And by no means am I hating on Aceves. This guy is a godsend, and I've called him the team MVP at times. I just hope he is not being over-pitched by Tito. He's throwing way too often in my opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ramea, that was probably Tito's dumbest non-move since Matt Albers was left in to die a slow death v. the Cubs at Fenway in those milk-man uniforms. Ever since that game, Albers has been lights out. A terrific reliever on a terrific staff of relievers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Goalposts are heavy.  Who's helping Softserve move them?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Wake ERA now at 4.92:
    [QUOTE]Aceves won his 17th straight relief decision...what does that tell you about wins in baseball when the guy who gets a blown hold, gets the win, and finishes the game with a 9.00 ERA. They are team victories, and I keep seeing just how much they are team victories more and more by games like this one. Who cares who got the "win." Well, the agents do, that's for sure. But enough people have figured out that a win is about as predictable for a SP as Josh Beckett having perhaps his best season and having only 9 wins to show for it, 1 less than the stellar John Lackey.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

But this refutes Moon's position about team win/loss with each starter.
    Can't have it both ways...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's about the team. Tito will sacrifice Wake's ERA to save the oen for the next day. I'm OK with that, as long as fans recognize how it compromises Wake's numbers.

Wake's ERA in innings 1-4 is 3.82. 
    (including relief IP)
    Inning 5: 7.02
    Inning 6: 5.93
    Inning 7: 8.10
    Inning 8: 2.08
    Inning 9: 3.38

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah its fairly obvious watching him over the years that of all the pitchers Francona is basically set in stone that Wake throws 91-102 pitches each start. all but 3 of the 16 this year are in that range.

I disagree with him being left in in the 7th at times when he is physically tiring, the Mariners granny the prime example, even if we know it will have little impact on his arm. But it is clear from your stats Moon that the guy has a career 4.65 ERA through 6 innings (or is that just this season?)

Either way, what more do you want from a #6 starter? A 4.65 ERA thru 6 is basically an avg of a quality start.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

We do realize if Boston was 8 back, how thrilled we would not be with Wake's push towards #200.  But right now he is playing with house money with us holding onto first place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah its fairly obvious watching him over the years that of all the pitchers Francona is basically set in stone that Wake throws 91-102 pitches each start. all but 3 of the 16 this year are in that range. I disagree with him being left in in the 7th at times when he is physically tiring, the Mariners granny the prime example, even if we know it will have little impact on his arm. But it is clear from your stats Moon that the guy has a career 4.65 ERA through 6 innings (or is that just this season?) Either way, what more do you want from a #6 starter? A 4.65 ERA thru 6 is basically an avg of a quality start.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

#6 starter is a matter of perception.
    Wake's starter numbers put him at #3 in the depth position this year.
    Lackey ended up the #3 pitcher last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcaxlxgnvf0&feature=related

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah its fairly obvious watching him over the years that of all the pitchers Francona is basically set in stone that Wake throws 91-102 pitches each start. all but 3 of the 16 this year are in that range. I disagree with him being left in in the 7th at times when he is physically tiring, the Mariners granny the prime example, even if we know it will have little impact on his arm. But it is clear from your stats Moon that the guy has a career 4.65 ERA through 6 innings (or is that just this season?) Either way, what more do you want from a #6 starter? A 4.65 ERA thru 6 is basically an avg of a quality start.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I don't have the career numbers, but I do know, Wake has been great for 4 IP this year. Pretty darn good from 1 to 5 IP, but the 5th, 6th and 7th have been trouble. Maybe my idea for tandem starters would work with Wake and Miller or Wake and Aceves each going 3-5 IP.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

It could be right around 4 had his teammates and manager helped him out more

Look, buffalo. Wakefield's manager has helped him out by not calling Theo and telling him he wants paunched Moses and his 5 plus ERA for over 2 years off the team!

As for his teammates, they have scored plenty and allowed fat man to waddle out there and pursue "been around too long" records. Pedroia was talking about how they want to help Wakefield get these records. It's embarrassing! Forget these stupid records! Invest inning in the youth, Miller, Weiland and Doubrant. 

Grand slammer was simply Wakefield. He is a human homerun launching pad! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Much like the legendary Kent Dorfman, Wakefield is a legacy. He probably even has a pledge pin in his locker somewhere. He is going no where, unless he pukes on Dean Wormer of course.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]His ERA could be much lower had our pen not allowed some of his inherited runners to score and some of the cheap hits that led to runs been turned into outs. The team is 11-5 in his starts. He has let up 3 or less ERs in 10 of his 16 starts. In 2 of his other starts, he pitched better than his line indicated.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thats like saying his ERA could be much higher if he was left in some of those games longer.  Wake has done a good job as our temporary #5 and for years at 6 but there are two sides of the coin to consider.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's the other side?

Weiland?
    Miller?
    A hurt Doubront?

You claimed his good starts were "far and few between". You have the wrong perception, as do several others. You imply he is worse now than when he was younger. That is false.He has been at his best after 2006 ended.