Wakefield Pitches in a "Fish Bowl"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Wakefield Pitches in a "Fish Bowl"

This is not to be meant as an "excuse" for Wakefield in terms of the other SPs on the staff. But let's face it. Wakefield has pitched long enough in a Sox jersey for Tito to know when it's time to pull him or time to leave him in. There were a few times this year where Tito played a short leash on him. But yesterday was a perfect example of again waiting too long and not recognizing the players that will hurt Wakefield.

Big swingers are guys who often hurt Tim. The guy yesterday had taken some mighty cuts v. Wakefield earlier in that game, and he definitely had a go for the Monster approach as well. Once Wakefield had allowed 3 runners to reach base, it was time. I knew it and I'm his biggest fan. You have to recognize who is coming up. The guy who hit the slam was in wheelhouse central with Tim in that situation. If Aceves was going to go in that game anyway, it made a lot more sense to even yank Tim after the 6th inning and 2000th K. I don't think Tim is as effective as he once was in later innings. He definitely labors when he gets past the 90-plus pitch mark and that might be due to age and heat of the day games.

People, maybe even Tito will point to Tim and say hey buddy, your stats in the past few weeks aren't exactly buying you a rotation spot when guys are all healthy. But I think Tito has a great ability to control that. He never knows how to manage Wakefield. It's as big a flaw as any of his managing skills for one particular player. This idea about he wanted Tim to not spend the pen and the team had the giant lead....ok, you can make that case...but really then why was Aceves the guy who entered, and if you know Aceves is going 3 innings anyway, then this was a no-brainer move to bring him in earlier in the 7th.

Wakefield is always looking over his shoulder so to speak. He knows that the grand slam making a quality start turn into a "mediocre" performance gives critics, gives team executives, and the manager the ability to demote him when the time comes. While he hasn't pitched as well as some of the other key starters on the staff, he certainly has had stretches in pretty much every start where he had 3 to 4 shutout innings inside a bad inning here or there. It really has been home runs with runners on that have been his achilles heel. I like his durability as a 6-inn starter and I think if properly managed by Tito, even his ERA would be a run lower. That's why ERA is over-rated as a statistic. Inherited runners hurt him in early season games and now Tito leaving him in longer than he should when he's getting hit, also has contributed to his 5 ERA.

I don't think Lackey has to worry about being pulled from the rotation if he throws a bad start. Wakefield is literally on a start to start basis, and for a 45-year old veteran, it's got to be a tough way to pitch. Your next start could be your last. That takes a lot of inner strength to have to pitch with that mentality. But that is how Tito and the Sox have made Wakefield to be going back to start of last season. Tito repeats that mantra, by the way, often. He is a wizard at maintaining how he will utiilze players by saying it to the media. Repeating it in interviews. "Wake didn't accept his role last year, but he gets it this year." That's a pretty heavy thing to say. He doesn't use that on a Lackey or even Andrew Miller. Those guys are thinking I'm starting and don't have the Tito scrutiny involved. They naturally or should naturally feel more confident in their starts, knowing that a bad one or two will not affect there role--SP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Wakefield Pitches in a "Fish Bowl"

Danny you assume that Aceves would have been the guy coming in for the 8th inning if the Mariners were held in the 7th and the lead remained 8. Probably not the case.

The lead was cut to 4 with 8 outs to go instead of 8 with 6 outs to go. That takes the end of the BP a little bit more out of the equation.

Beyond that I get the impression from some posters that Wake would be a 2.00 ERA pitcher if was not for the manager, pulling him too soon, too late, the plays made behind him, atmospheric conditions, run support and just plain bad luck. 

You say you like him as a 6th starter. I do to. But in that position he will be looking over his shoulder all the time. On a team with lower aspirations he'd likely be a 5 maybe even a 4. So being where he wants to be comes with baggage I suppose.

As for not looking over his shoulder and Lackey not having to, I am pretty sure Lackey would trade his starting job for a clean bill health for his wife right now. Every one has their issues to deal with. I would not judge this forum or WEEi as the ultimate barometer of how Wake is percieved in Boston. The guy IMHO gets a lot of love, not undeserved BTW.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe----. Show The--Babe----'s posts

And here I thought he pitched his home games in a sh-t hole.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I never say "after dark". I always say "before dawn". Dawn is the papergirl that delivers the morning newspaper. She has a great bod.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield Pitches in a "Fish Bowl":
    [QUOTE]I never say "after dark". I always say "before dawn". Dawn is the papergirl that delivers the morning newspaper. She has a great bod.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Well, that's better than a blow-up doll.
    Is Dawn a troll?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Wakefield Pitches in a "Fish Bowl":
    [QUOTE]This is not to be meant as an "excuse" for Wakefield in terms of the other SPs on the staff. But let's face it. Wakefield has pitched long enough in a Sox jersey for Tito to know when it's time to pull him or time to leave him in. There were a few times this year where Tito played a short leash on him. But yesterday was a perfect example of again waiting too long and not recognizing the players that will hurt Wakefield. Big swingers are guys who often hurt Tim. The guy yesterday had taken some mighty cuts v. Wakefield earlier in that game, and he definitely had a go for the Monster approach as well. Once Wakefield had allowed 3 runners to reach base, it was time. I knew it and I'm his biggest fan. You have to recognize who is coming up. The guy who hit the slam was in wheelhouse central with Tim in that situation. If Aceves was going to go in that game anyway, it made a lot more sense to even yank Tim after the 6th inning and 2000th K. I don't think Tim is as effective as he once was in later innings. He definitely labors when he gets past the 90-plus pitch mark and that might be due to age and heat of the day games. People, maybe even Tito will point to Tim and say hey buddy, your stats in the past few weeks aren't exactly buying you a rotation spot when guys are all healthy. But I think Tito has a great ability to control that. He never knows how to manage Wakefield. It's as big a flaw as any of his managing skills for one particular player. This idea about he wanted Tim to not spend the pen and the team had the giant lead....ok, you can make that case...but really then why was Aceves the guy who entered, and if you know Aceves is going 3 innings anyway, then this was a no-brainer move to bring him in earlier in the 7th. Wakefield is always looking over his shoulder so to speak. He knows that the grand slam making a quality start turn into a "mediocre" performance gives critics, gives team executives, and the manager the ability to demote him when the time comes. While he hasn't pitched as well as some of the other key starters on the staff, he certainly has had stretches in pretty much every start where he had 3 to 4 shutout innings inside a bad inning here or there. It really has been home runs with runners on that have been his achilles heel. I like his durability as a 6-inn starter and I think if properly managed by Tito, even his ERA would be a run lower. That's why ERA is over-rated as a statistic. Inherited runners hurt him in early season games and now Tito leaving him in longer than he should when he's getting hit, also has contributed to his 5 ERA. I don't think Lackey has to worry about being pulled from the rotation if he throws a bad start. Wakefield is literally on a start to start basis, and for a 45-year old veteran, it's got to be a tough way to pitch. Your next start could be your last. That takes a lot of inner strength to have to pitch with that mentality. But that is how Tito and the Sox have made Wakefield to be going back to start of last season. Tito repeats that mantra, by the way, often. He is a wizard at maintaining how he will utiilze players by saying it to the media. Repeating it in interviews. "Wake didn't accept his role last year, but he gets it this year." That's a pretty heavy thing to say. He doesn't use that on a Lackey or even Andrew Miller. Those guys are thinking I'm starting and don't have the Tito scrutiny involved. They naturally or should naturally feel more confident in their starts, knowing that a bad one or two will not affect there role--SP.  
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

To say Tito kept him in so as to distort Wake's numbers, thus validating a potential demotion, is reaching much too far.

Wake is now the lone successful knuckle-baller, and there's no frame of reference as to how to manage a 45-year old pitcher these days, much less a specialty type.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

No, Dawn is a papergirl. Trolls are internet types that frequent this site such as Bosox1941, Law, Softlaw, and Babe. Please try to keep up. Maybe you need to google "internet troll" and read up on them. I am surprised that you have over 10,00 posts and are not cognizant of what trolls are. Burrito is aware but enjoys them. You aren't even aware that they exist.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If Dawn was a troll, would you still admire her "bod"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The---Babe----------. Show -The---Babe----------'s posts

That's funny....I always thought he pitched his home games in a ......well, let's just say rhymes with fish bowl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Funny, I always thought colon pitches off his movement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]No, Dawn is a papergirl. Trolls are internet types that frequent this site such as Bosox1941, Law, Softlaw, and Babe. Please try to keep up. Maybe you need to google "internet troll" and read up on them. I am surprised that you have over 10,00 posts and are not cognizant of what trolls are. Burrito is aware but enjoys them. You aren't even aware that they exist.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Some might argue that what you are doing is also troll-like.  It seems that a small percentage of your posts are about baseball and most of them are criticisms about the forum and other posters.  

Law was certainly a troll, his main purpose was to irritate and argue and ridicule.  Bosox1941's inclusion is questionable.  He's a notorious Francona basher, but it seems to be an honest opinion. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The---Babe----------. Show -The---Babe----------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield Pitches in a "Fish Bowl" : Some might argue that what you are doing is also troll-like.  It seems that a small percentage of your posts are about baseball and most of them are criticisms about the forum and other posters.   Law was certainly a troll, his main purpose was to irritate and argue and ridicule.  Bosox1941's inclusion is questionable.  He's a notorious Francona basher, but it seems to be an honest opinion. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Bingo....I have pointed this out on numerous occassions and he posts a link or two to his very rare baseball related posts.