WAY TOO EARLY to talk about this....but what about Trumbo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

WAY TOO EARLY to talk about this....but what about Trumbo?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/angels-willing-to-trade-bourjos-trumbo-for-pitching.html

I'd trade one of the young pitchers for him other than Owens.  Webster...RDLR...Renauldo....any ONE of them would be fine with me.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

Re: WAY TOO EARLY to talk about this....but what about Trumbo?

No thank you. We had a "Trumbo" in the party once and we .... well we removed him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

IMO, what Trumbo provides - power, lots of strikeouts, and crappy OBP - is approximately what we'd get from Middlebrooks. No way I'd give up young pitching for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

Middy will be traded or given a first basemans mit this winter. Xander will play 3rd and the Sox will find a new solution for short.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I see your points and agree to a point but I really see Napps (who I would take over Trumbo) pricing his way out of Boston.  I also see WMB being used as trade bait over the Winter time.

Bourjos may be a good option as well with Jacoby leaving and JBJ simply not ready for the big stage.

Who knows......fun to think about but again....too early to get too into FA's and trades with a pretty big day tomorrow night!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Justin Morneau has a .375 career BA at Fenway. Just a thought.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

WHY BOTHER TO TRY NEW EXPERIENCE USING A DIFFERENT 1B??  NAPOLI IS A FINE DEFENDER AND A GOOD HITTER EXCEPT STRIKING OUT TOO MUCH.  

BUT I BET HE WILL REDUCE HIS STRIKEOUT RATE.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see your points and agree to a point but I really see Napps (who I would take over Trumbo) pricing his way out of Boston.  I also see WMB being used as trade bait over the Winter time.

Bourjos may be a good option as well with Jacoby leaving and JBJ simply not ready for the big stage.

Who knows......fun to think about but again....too early to get too into FA's and trades with a pretty big day tomorrow night!!

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense to sell low on Middlebrooks.  Right-handed power like his doesn't grow on trees and thankfully the Sox organization has a lot more patience with young players than the posters on this board.  I'm not saying Middlebrooks will be an above average player, but he's still young & had a pretty bad wrist injury.  He's going to get a long look before they ever decide to move him.  They wouldn't even entertain offers for him at the deadline.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Given that the Sox have three SPs in the last year of their deal nrxt year, it would not be wise to move a controllable SP for a one dimensional player like Trumbo.

I like Bourjos, but there are better options for CF considering all the Sox really nerd is Bradley Insurance...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Good Chance that Napoli would either accept a QO or offering a QO would drive his price down for us to give him a 2 year deal. 

So why would we trade away prospects to get a hitter who basically is the same profile + worst defense???? we'd effectively be giving away young talent for a down grade.

......no thank you. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Napoli had a 3.9 WAR this year, Trumbo had a 2.5 which was a career high,  Napoli's K rate was a bit higher but not only was Trumbos really high as well his career K rate is about 1% less than Napoli's .  There hit tool is about Identical, Napoli holding a slight advantage and Napoli walks much more than Trumbo.  Trumbo career BB% = 6% Napoli = 12%

Trumbo is not a good defender, Napoli has turned out to be a plus defender at first base.

I'm sorry but to reiterate my point; why would we give up a top prospect for a downgrade????

Also consider that we do have internal options if the worst case scanerio happened and Napoli turns down a QO and signs elsewhere, which isn't all that bad when you consider he would net us a pick and likely mitigate the cost if we chose to go out and sign a Morales. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli had a 3.9 WAR this year, Trumbo had a 2.5 which was a career high,  Napoli's K rate was a bit higher but not only was Trumbos really high as well his career K rate is about 1% less than Napoli's .  There hit tool is about Identical, Napoli holding a slight advantage and Napoli walks much more than Trumbo.  Trumbo career BB% = 6% Napoli = 12%

Trumbo is not a good defender, Napoli has turned out to be a plus defender at first base.

I'm sorry but to reiterate my point; why would we give up a top prospect for a downgrade????

Also consider that we do have internal options if the worst case scanerio happened and Napoli turns down a QO and signs elsewhere, which isn't all that bad when you consider he would net us a pick and likely mitigate the cost if we chose to go out and sign a Morales. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree and as I stated, I would take Napps over Trumbo.  The issue at hand though is Napps accepting a QO is FAR from certain and there have been rumblings that teams are interested in him for a 3 year deal.  I think we need to have a better plan should Napps not return then simply WMB changing gloves to a position he has not played before. 

I know you're a huge prospect fan Hugh and pretty much the only person here I listen to when it comes to prospects....but we have a VERY deep system and have a lot of good arms that could get us something via trade.  We COULD have a weekness at 1B and OF...why not use one of our chips to help us where we are deficient.  Prospects are simply that....prospects.  Look at the Sox top 5 prospects in each of the years from 2007 to 2012.  Not a lot of them made it the majors.  My point isn't to diss our prospects....it's to look at what's out there for possiblities.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree and as I stated, I would take Napps over Trumbo.  The issue at hand though is Napps accepting a QO is FAR from certain and there have been rumblings that teams are interested in him for a 3 year deal.  I think we need to have a better plan should Napps not return then simply WMB changing gloves to a position he has not played before. 

I know you're a huge prospect fan Hugh and pretty much the only person here I listen to when it comes to prospects....but we have a VERY deep system and have a lot of good arms that could get us something via trade.  We COULD have a weekness at 1B and OF...why not use one of our chips to help us where we are deficient.  Prospects are simply that....prospects.  Look at the Sox top 5 prospects in each of the years from 2007 to 2012.  Not a lot of them made it the majors.  My point isn't to diss our prospects....it's to look at what's out there for possiblities.

[/QUOTE]

To me it's the team as a whole.  If we end up with a firstbaseman that is less capable than Napoli next year the it means nothing if we have upgraded at another position.  If we are going to talk about trading away from our minor league depth for a position player I'd rather upgrade elsewhere.  Finding a bat on the market is a lot easier than finding pitching, and finding a firstbaseman is much easier than finding other positions as well. 

Yes Napoli very well could turn down a QO but that would do two things for us, first of all we would become the only team in the league that could sign him without losing a draft pick so I think it's very fair to say that we would have a good advantage to signing him to a fair deal.  I'd much rather trade for a corner outfielder with a big bat or trade one of our starters + some of our prospect arms for a big upgrade in the rotation.

Absolute worst case scenario would be picking from a group of WMB/Carp/Nava to man first base next year, which would net us a pick and leave us with the money and prospects to upgrade elsewhere.  Of course it's always going to be easier to trade for a guy on the market than someone a team is not looking to move and I don't really know all the names on the trading block, but if Trumbo was a higher quality player I'd be all for it.  Given all the option and possible outcomes I just do not see trading away young talent for Trumbo worth it at all. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To me it's the team as a whole.  If we end up with a firstbaseman that is less capable than Napoli next year the it means nothing if we have upgraded at another position.  If we are going to talk about trading away from our minor league depth for a position player I'd rather upgrade elsewhere.  Finding a bat on the market is a lot easier than finding pitching, and finding a firstbaseman is much easier than finding other positions as well. 

Yes Napoli very well could turn down a QO but that would do two things for us, first of all we would become the only team in the league that could sign him without losing a draft pick so I think it's very fair to say that we would have a good advantage to signing him to a fair deal.  I'd much rather trade for a corner outfielder with a big bat or trade one of our starters + some of our prospect arms for a big upgrade in the rotation.

Absolute worst case scenario would be picking from a group of WMB/Carp/Nava to man first base next year, which would net us a pick and leave us with the money and prospects to upgrade elsewhere.  Of course it's always going to be easier to trade for a guy on the market than someone a team is not looking to move and I don't really know all the names on the trading block, but if Trumbo was a higher quality player I'd be all for it.  Given all the option and possible outcomes I just do not see trading away young talent for Trumbo worth it at all. 

[/QUOTE]

While agree with you.....Trumbo is a proven MLB player.  WMB has offered us some glimmer but nothing past that.  Trumbo has hit over 30hr's and had over a 100RBI's (almost) twice.  He is under team control until 2017 as his arbitration years start next season.  His prime years will be during that time...he stays healthy and plays in a decent sized park right now.  I still would give up 1 of our young arms for him in a heartbeat SHOULD NAPPS LEAVE.  However......Napps will cost more money over the next few years then Trumbo and his hip condition is one that gets worse...not better.

Again....while I'd still take Napps.....Trumbo to me is a VERY solid fallback.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could we afford Napoli and Morneau?

Probably not if Nap gets a 1 year deal at 13-15m and Justin wants 10+m a year.

But if Nap signs for like 3 years 30, with the understanding he will be the DH in 1-2 years when Papi retires... and Morneau signs for like 4/30 we could work it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Has the page been turned on Youk?

He could probably be had for shorter money; he got $12 from the Yankees last season.

James Loney has had a very good season in Tampa--proven clutch hitter good defender. If Nap opps to go for three year deal--I like these guys as options.

Keep in mind Cecchini was an all star in the Arizona Fall League--you can see him this weekend in the AFL All Star Game--??Nov. 2 on the MLB Chan. Over .400 OBP. Left handed bat, decent speed--not Ells speed--can play 3 B or 1 B.

Infield potentially: Youk, Pedroia, Xander and Cecchini.  I know way too soon--4 months til ST and potentially 2 games til the off-season starts.  

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has the page been turned on Youk?

He could probably be had for shorter money; he got $12 from the Yankees last season.

James Loney has had a very good season in Tampa--proven clutch hitter good defender. If Nap opps to go for three year deal--I like these guys as options.

Keep in mind Cecchini was an all star in the Arizona Fall League--you can see him this weekend in the AFL All Star Game--??Nov. 2 on the MLB Chan. Over .400 OBP. Left handed bat, decent speed--not Ells speed--can play 3 B or 1 B.

Infield potentially: Youk, Pedroia, Xander and Cecchini.  I know way too soon--4 months til ST and potentially 2 games til the off-season starts.  

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

Youk?  I think I have to take Napoli over what's left of Youk every day and twice on Sunday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Will Middelbrooks is a reasonable comp for Mark Trumbo, as evidenced by the lines of their first two seasons at similar ages:

MT 10-11 589 PA, .249/.287/.466/.753, OPS+ 110

WM 12-13 660 PA, .254/.294/.462/.756, OPS+ 102

Trumbo's career line:

MT 10-13 1853 PA, .250/.299/.469/.768, OPS+ 114

The Red Sox lineup probably can't afford two corner infielders who would be challenged to post an on-base percentage of .300.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Stalino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No thank you. We had a "Trumbo" in the party once and we .... well we removed him.

[/QUOTE]

"we removed him"

Still playing the lame mob act I see.

You must have been a constant victim of bullying growing up.

Probably on going.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could we afford Napoli and Morneau?

Probably not if Nap gets a 1 year deal at 13-15m and Justin wants 10+m a year.

But if Nap signs for like 3 years 30, with the understanding he will be the DH in 1-2 years when Papi retires... and Morneau signs for like 4/30 we could work it.

[/QUOTE]

Only if Big Papi walks away.  If not, forget Morneau!!