We are lucky we didn't go down 0-4 and out !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

We are lucky we didn't go down 0-4 and out !!!

I've brushed off the dust from my Dale Carnegie "Power of Positive Thinking" book and want to be positive that we are 2-2 and in next 3 games, 2 are in Fenway. But, I don't look forward to facing Scherzer & Verlander there. Ya know, this is a funny series, we could have won 4-0 with a key hit in game 1 and Farrell pulls Peavy after 3 walks and no Pedey bobble as we did get 12 hits(same as previous games of 1, 7 and 4) and could  have won last night 3-2 w/o their 5 runs in the 2nd. But maybe we'd lost 4-3 as we couldn't get a key hit with many men LOB.

Please don't lay into me guys, but in retrospect, I think we are lucky to have won the 2 games with lucky "fluke" perhaps HRs for Ortiz & Napoli. Ortiz has been in a miserable slump other than that key hit and Napoli, like a blind chipmunk finds an acorn occasionally, I think closed his eyes and got lucky. He has 1/2 as many strike outs as at bats. Ells, Vic and Pedey have not had the series they had with Tampa. Drew, Middy & Salty have been pathetic & Nava, Ross & Carp too have not hit. Recap: Some great pitching, especially Lackey, and our relievers and the 2 key HRs have kept us at 2-2. Actually, have got to be happy we are tied and if we win tonight, we'll beat one of their 2 stars in Fenway. Go Sox !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: We are lucky we didn't go down 0-4 and out !!!

Yep, luck is a big factor in baseball.  Who knew?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've brushed off the dust from my Dale Carnegie "Power of Positive Thinking" book and want to be positive that we are 2-2 and in next 3 games, 2 are in Fenway. But, I don't look forward to facing Scherzer & Verlander there. Ya know, this is a funny series, we could have won 4-0 with a key hit in game 1 and Farrell pulls Peavy after 3 walks and no Pedey bobble as we did get 12 hits(same as previous games of 1, 7 and 4) and could  have won last night 3-2 w/o their 5 runs in the 2nd. But maybe we'd lost 4-3 as we couldn't get a key hit with many men LOB.

Please don't lay into me guys, but in retrospect, I think we are lucky to have won the 2 games with lucky "fluke" perhaps HRs for Ortiz & Napoli. Ortiz has been in a miserable slump other than that key hit and Napoli, like a blind chipmunk finds an acorn occasionally, I think closed his eyes and got lucky. He has 1/2 as many strike outs as at bats. Ells, Vic and Pedey have not had the series they had with Tampa. Drew, Middy & Salty have been pathetic & Nava, Ross & Carp too have not hit. Recap: Some great pitching, especially Lackey, and our relievers and the 2 key HRs have kept us at 2-2. Actually, have got to be happy we are tied and if we win tonight, we'll beat one of their 2 stars. Go Sox !!!

[/QUOTE]

So basically, if you eliminate everything positive the Red Sox did and pretend it never happened, they may have been swept is what you are trying to say? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Lucky?  Yes.  But, as the wise Seneca once noted:  Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:

[QUOTE]

Please don't lay into me guys, but in retrospect, I think we are lucky to have won the 2 games with lucky "fluke" perhaps HRs for Ortiz & Napoli. Ortiz has been in a miserable slump other than that key hit and Napoli, like a blind chipmunk finds an acorn occasionally, I think closed his eyes and got lucky. He has 1/2 as many strike outs as at bats. Ells, Vic and Pedey have not had the series they had with Tampa. Drew, Middy & Salty have been pathetic & Nava, Ross & Carp too have not hit. Recap: Some great pitching, especially Lackey, and our relievers and the 2 key HRs have kept us at 2-2. Actually, have got to be happy we are tied and if we win tonight, we'll beat one of their 2 stars. Go Sox !!!

So basically, if you eliminate everything positive the Red Sox did and pretend it never happened, they may have been swept is what you are trying to say? 

[/QUOTE]

If one eliminates EVERYTHING positive, how can one win; however, I did not eliminate everything positive...I said : "Some great pitching, especially Lackey, and our relievers and the 2 key HRs have kept us at 2-2." And I might add too than Lackey dodged quite a few bullets and when they had men on 1st and 3rd and Taz struck out Cabrera and then Koji struck out Fielder is the main complementary comment to our relievers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lucky?  Yes.  But, as the wise Seneca once noted:  Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.  

[/QUOTE]

====================================

I've noticed, especially as I play tennis, that they are the good players who are usually lucky.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Just need to hit in the Clutch better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've noticed, especially as I play tennis, that they are the good players who are usually lucky.

[/QUOTE]

I agree without the HRs, we could have been swept, but I do not think the 2 Top HR hitters in your lineup actually hitting HRs is luck, just like it isnt Luck for a Detroit Staff to hold the Top Scoring team in Baseball to 10 runs in 4 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree without the HRs, we could have been swept, but I do not think the 2 Top HR hitters in your lineup actually hitting HRs is luck, just like it isnt Luck for a Detroit Staff to hold the Top Scoring team in Baseball to 10 runs in 4 games.

[/QUOTE]

Nope.

They were no more lucky than any HRs hit by the Tigers.

Ortiz was sitting on a first pitch change and got what he wanted, from Benoit.

Napoli was looking for a fast ball, and Velander obliged by throwing one out over the plate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Anything was possible, of course, but the OP ignores the great pitching by two Sox starters, Lester and Lackey, and the perfect record--13 innings, 0 runs--by the Sox bullpen. 

The fact is that the Sox stole one win with the Napoli dinger, but that was made possible by the great Sox pitching, which was anything but luck.  Verlander is great, I agree, but he ain't poifect, and one lousy run off him can't be called luck. 

As for game 2, that win was the result of a great Sox bullpen and a lousy Tigers bullpen.  Don't forget there were two other hits by Sox that inning, plus a walk to Ellsbury.  And isn't Ortiz one of the great clutch hitters in Sox history?  Also don't forget the winning run in the 9th scored with nobody out.  When Gomes scored, Salty was safe on first with nobody out and Berry available as a pinch runner. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Game 1

1 to 0 Tigers...Great pitching beat really good pitching

Game 2

6 to 5 Red Sox...Great hitter beat a suspect bullpen,bad defense E-6 and a wild pitch allowed the winning run to get to third with no outs....

Game 3

1 to 0 Red Sox Great pitching, beat really good pitching. 

Game 4 

7 to 3 Tigers...Good pitching, timely hitting, beat bad pitching with an assist from some poor defense....

the key to winning in the postseason...pitching, defense and timely hitting.

About sums up the first four games....

13. This post has been removed.