Welcome aboard, Cody Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Welcome aboard, Cody Ross

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-sign-cody-ross.html#disqus_thread

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross

The question now becomes, did they keep enough money in the bank for some pitching?  Oswalt? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good stuff.  Ben rocks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

C'mon 1 year $2m!  Really have to keep this under $2.5M to be worth it IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Also worth noting, that this frees up Aviles to play everyday SS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Good move.  Hopefully we can still sign Oswalt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross:
    [QUOTE]Good move.  Hopefully we can still sign Oswalt.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]The question now becomes, did they keep enough money in the bank for some pitching?  Oswalt? 
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

"For what it's worth, a  source said only they're "optimistic" on Ross. Also, team will still consider adding a starter."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Moono must be so weak from excitement, that he can't post!
    Now we have a pile of crap playing short, instead of RF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The most important part of this signing is it means I never have to watch Darnell McDonald pretend to be a major league outfielder...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Globe reporting 3 million, plus incentives based on playing time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Cody as a low cost solution to RF. I have said so for a couple months. He hits LHPs at over a .900 OPS and fields very well. I was hoping we could get him for $5M/2 or $3M/1, but I'm open to the idea that there's some else cheaper who can come close to what Cody can do. All the more money for pitching upgrade(s).

Ghost of Frito thinks we can spend, spend, spend and criticizes any cost-saving suggestions, while making no realistic suggestions of his own..  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

hmmm 1 yr 3 mill plus incentives. a little more money than i though we would give him. i really hope we still have enough to get a pitcher. im starting to think that oswalt may not be coming to the sox. More likely at this point is gavin floyd because apparently his aav is 3. somthing mill. Plus he is more reliable at this point. we shall see. at least we have another good outfielder. once crawford comes back it looks like we will have a platoon in right field. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

That's what I just read too jbay. If we give him 3M, are we still going to have enough to go after Oswalt? Getting both of those guys would set this team up in pretty good shape going into 2012 IMHO. Oswalt would counter NYY signing Kuroda, and they needed Pineda just to keep up with our top three.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I have advocating ross all off-season.  Makes so much sense.  But, since the Scutaro deal is what allowed for this move, it really only makes sense as Cody Ross AND ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]hmmm 1 yr 3 mill plus incentives. a little more money than i though we would give him. i really hope we still have enough to get a pitcher. im starting to think that oswalt may not be coming to the sox. More likely at this point is gavin floyd because apparently his aav is 3. somthing mill. Plus he is more reliable at this point. we shall see. at least we have another good outfielder. once crawford comes back it looks like we will have a platoon in right field. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I agree, but it is a lot less than what he was originally asking for, and actually represents about a 50% pay cut for him, believe it or not.

It's not as if free agency has much in the way of alternatives.  Maybe we could have gotten Kosuke Fukudome, but only if MLB would allow a 1-month contract, or allow the team to have a May 1 opt-out date...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Cody Ross is a 31-year-old who posted a career-high WAR* of 3.7 in 2008.

Ryan Sweeney, who turns 27 next month, posted a career-high WAR of 4.2 in 2009.

I understand the wish for righthanded bat, but I suspect Sweeney is the better option.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Oswalt is not being ruled out, from what I have been reading.

Cody Ross. Nice.

Roy Oswalt? Ya never know.

Quite a feather in Ben C's hat if he pulls this off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Forum Post: Re: 33 RUNS at 9/22/2011 10:08 PM EDT
     When the Sox go out and get some RH pop, we will revisit this thread for sure!

Ah yes, the 33 RUNS thread, where I got bashed for laying out the plan for 2012.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

I have to Change my ID, anyone know how to? I would understand if Ben swung a deal for Floyd instead of signing Oswalt. It would hurt in prospects but if he turns down 2013 option (no guarantee he would) and he leaves as a FA we might recover via pick unless these new rules stopped that. Oswalt has had injuries and may ask for too much. And what about SS?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I really think Cody Ross will benefit from playing in Fenway in that lineup....I don't expect him to be a superstar, but he will put up better numbers than he did last year.....pretty solid outfield when Crawford comes back.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I orginally expected we might get Cody for as low as $7M/2. $3M is a risk, but it's only 1 year. It worries me that his OPS has declined every year since 2007:

His career numbers are very encouraging, particularly vs LHPs.

Overall (per 691 PAs):
    .261  25  93  (OBP .323/SLG .456/OPS .779)

vs LHPs (per 683 PAs):
    .282  41  125  (OBP .349/SLG .563/OPS .912)

Let's hope he reverts back more towards his career numbers than his trend numbers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Let's hope he reverts back more towards his career numbers than his trend numbers.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

C'mon Moon, we both know there's no such thing as trending numbers and that all players will play to their career averages every year without fail!  It doesn't matter if the player is heading into their prime.  Haven't you been listening to Softy???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome aboard, Cody Ross : C'mon Moon, we both know there's no such thing as trending numbers and that all players will play to their career averages every year without fail!  It doesn't matter if the player is heading into their prime.  Haven't you been listening to Softy???
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

He's on ignore, but I'm sure he must be saying don't sign Cody, don't sign Oswalt (I'd agree here), don't trade for Floyd, and Ben is now inepsben.