Werner calls out media, Globe, Shaughnessy for Ortiz column

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Werner calls out media, Globe, Shaughnessy for Ortiz column

Good for Werner.

When there is no proof besides, 1) hes hitting good 2) hes 37 3) hes from the DR. thats hardly enough to make a nation wide story out of it. Dan keeps saying he was on a list 10 years ago, but has no idea what it was he took. It could have been anything from GNC that triggers a false positive. There were a number of OTC products that are no longer allowed because of that reason.

Sorry, but CHB had nothing to back his story. I dont buy the "tough media in Boston" line. The media, especially with a subject like this, should have to have some sort of proof and not just empty, weak speculations. There should be more integrity and moral thats unfortunately no longer found in todays media. Its all about trying to smear someones name.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Shaughnessy makes me sick to my stomach.

He's not at all interested in journalism.  His only intent is to draw attention to himself.  He's a self-centered, blabbering egomaniac.

And to think that he had the audacity to call Schilling, who will always be responsible for bringing us a world series, a blowhard.  What does that make him?

Shaughnessy's only power is with his warped pencil.  He should be ashamed.  But, of course, egocentrics like him and the sicko Castro in Cleveland, are incapable of remorse or embarassment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Dan Shaunessey is guilty of plagarism.

See how easy it is to accuse someone without proof?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Shank should show facts....not what he thinks....poor journalism

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When there is no proof besides, 1) hes hitting good 2) hes 37 3) hes from the DR. thats hardly enough to make a nation wide story out of it. Dan keeps saying he was on a list 10 years ago, but has no idea what it was he took. It could have been anything from GNC that triggers a false positive. There were a number of OTC products that are no longer allowed because of that reason.

Agree, although you can't ignore the Dominican factor. Facts are facts and there has been a problem when it comes to athletes getting illiegal stuff in the DR.

Sorry, but CHB had nothing to back his story.

I think what keeps getting missed is that Shaughnessy's story is Ortiz's answers. Dan just asked the questions. I'd agree with all the criticsm of his column if all he did -- like too many columnists -- was sit back and write a speculative column. But he ASKED the questions. The story was Ortiz's answers.

Isn't that what so many rip the media for about the '90s -- that they ignored the issue. While I disagree with the notion that "everybody" is doing it but are good at hiding it, I'm not going to be naive to think that the PED problem is over.

So while I agree with Ortiz when he says that he gets criticized when he's struggled in April and he gets criticized when he does well in April, I also feel that doing one story and asking him directly is OK. This is the world we live in because of the players and their union. If they never cheated and stonewalled, we wouldn't be here.

If Ortiz is clean -- and I believe he is -- he needs to be mad at guys like Bonds and McGwire and their ilk and Donald Fehr. They created this world, not the media.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Shaughnessy's not accusing, he's asking the question.  That's journalism and that's what reporters do.  They ask questions.  Ortiz could have swatted the question away by saying, "Hey, no, I understand why you'd ask, but I'm doing this under my own power.  And I'm enjoying every minute of it."

And Werner doesn't help, because the Red Sox owners have less than zero credibility since it's clear they're in for the money first and foremost.  They need Papi to be clean because he's the face of the franchise, so to speak.  If Werner has something to say, let him hold a press conference and take questions.

The smart play would have been for Werner to shut up in the first place, and for Ortiz to have swatted it away with a big smile.  Now that they're so defensive, it makes you wonder if there might not be something to the story after all.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD would say........ "SON, where there is smoke, theres fire" !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

AS DAD would say........ "SON, where there is smoke, theres fire" !!!!

Or a reporter trying to sell papers.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Shaughnessy's not accusing, he's asking the question.  That's journalism and that's what reporters do.  They ask questions.  Ortiz could have swatted the question away by saying, "Hey, no, I understand why you'd ask, but I'm doing this under my own power.  And I'm enjoying every minute of it."

And Werner doesn't help, because the Red Sox owners have less than zero credibility since it's clear they're in for the money first and foremost.  They need Papi to be clean because he's the face of the franchise, so to speak.  If Werner has something to say, let him hold a press conference and take questions.

The smart play would have been for Werner to shut up in the first place, and for Ortiz to have swatted it away with a big smile.  Now that they're so defensive, it makes you wonder if there might not be something to the story after all.

Agree with everything except I think it's a bit unfair to say they're in it for the money first and foremost.

Of course they want it to be profitable. They're like all owners. But they've put plenty of money in payroll, scouting, farm system, baseball ops and Fenway Park. They've done some incredibly stupid things the past couple of years, but it's unfair to say they're not commited to winning.

You're right in that Werner should have just kept his mouth shut.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Agree, although you can't ignore the Dominican factor. Facts are facts and there has been a problem when it comes to athletes getting illiegal stuff in the DR.

I think what keeps getting missed is that Shaughnessy's story is Ortiz's answers. Dan just asked the questions. I'd agree with all the criticsm of his column if all he did -- like too many columnists -- was sit back and write a speculative column. But he ASKED the questions. The story was Ortiz's answers.

Isn't that what so many rip the media for about the '90s -- that they ignored the issue. While I disagree with the notion that "everybody" is doing it but are good at hiding it, I'm not going to be naive to think that the PED problem is over.

So while I agree with Ortiz when he says that he gets criticized when he's struggled in April and he gets criticized when he does well in April, I also feel that doing one story and asking him directly is OK. This is the world we live in because of the players and their union. If they never cheated and stonewalled, we wouldn't be here.

If Ortiz is clean -- and I believe he is -- he needs to be mad at guys like Bonds and McGwire and their ilk and Donald Fehr. They created this world, not the media.

solid post roy

but I have always put the blame on the clean players

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

+1  excellent analysis roy

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

He's not at all interested in journalism.  His only intent is to draw attention to himself.  He's a self-centered, blabbering egomaniac.

And to think that he had the audacity to call Schilling, who will always be responsible for bringing us a world series, a blowhard.  What does that make him?

Shaughnessy's only power is with his warped pencil.  He should be ashamed.  But, of course, egocentrics like him and the sicko Castro in Cleveland, are incapable of remorse or embarassment.

Great post and I agree with you 100%.   He mostly writes negative articles to make himself the center of attention.  If he was always positive Boston fans wouldn't have any reason to discuss him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Great post and I agree with you 100%.   He mostly writes negative articles to make himself the center of attention.  If he was always positive Boston fans wouldn't have any reason to discuss him. 

Thank you.

Many Boston fans think he walks on water.  I have my beliefs why this is, but they belong on the political forum and not here.

There are some things in life I'll never understand....   Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"AS DAD would say........ "SON, where there is smoke, theres fire" !!!!"

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, you don't get to publish stuff that has no factual basis you can't prove. I know facts aren't your strong suit...

I personally believe Papi is using. If Dan thinks so too he needs to get off his behind and get the proof, then he can write the story. He claims to be a journalist and what he did is not journalism. You're not expected to understand this. Keep on T Ballin

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"AS DAD would say........ "SON, where there is smoke, theres fire" !!!!"

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, you don't get to publish stuff that has no factual basis you can't prove. I know facts aren't your strong suit...

I personally believe Papi is using. If Dan thinks so too he needs to get off his behind and get the proof, then he can write the story. He claims to be a journalist and what he did is not journalism. You're not expected to understand this. Keep on T Ballin

I wish the fire would sink his ship...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Werner's big mistake was  mentioning Shaughnessy "journalistic standards"  in the same sentence.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'm just amazed the Globe charges people to read his drivel. Dan's calling card is being a negative -nancy that's why I never read any of his articles. 

25. This post has been removed.