Werner calls out media, Globe, Shaughnessy for Ortiz column

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: Werner calls out media, Globe, Shaughnessy for Ortiz column

In response to Bill-806's comment:

AS DAD would say........ "SON, where there is smoke, theres fire" !!!!

And Smoke Starts  Lightning.....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Werner's a clown, I wish he'd stop talking. 

Shaughnessy's an angry, bitter man, I wish he'd stop writing. 

Most interesting name that seems likely to have juiced when you look up his numbers:

Tony Gwynn

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

If Ortiz is clean -- and I believe he is -- he needs to be mad at guys like Bonds and McGwire and their ilk and Donald Fehr. They created this world, not the media.

Ortiz is paid incredibly well, with that comes a downside, he should suck it up.

He should blame Melky Cabrera, ARod, Braun, .... and himself.  Has he ever come clean about his positive test in ~2002?  If it was some over-the-counter minor stuff, he should have had a press conference and moved on.

His amazing longevity is something to behold, he has topped his career .928 OPS at ages 35, 36, and now 37.  Ted Williams did the same at 35, 36, and 38.  It can be done, but in these times it is suspicious.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From the MLB Players Association August 8th 2009:

The practical effect of the sealing orders, if that confidentiality is to be maintained, is to further preclude the Players Association from confirming or denying whether a player's name appears on any list which purportedly discloses the 2003 test results. The result is that any union member alleged to have tested positive in 2003 because his name supposedly appears on some list -- most recently David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez -- finds himself in an extremely unfair position; his reputation has been threatened by a violation of the court's orders,but respect for those orders now leave him without access to the information that might permit him to restore his good name.

Unlike those anonymous lawyers who have violated the court orders -- and The New York Times, which has authorized an active and willful pursuit of those violations -- the Association will respect the courts' rulings. But we can legally say the following, each of which we suggest must be considered in assessing any and all newspaper reports stating a player has "tested positive for steroids in 2003.”

First, the number of players on the so-called "government list" meaningfully exceeds the number of players agreed by the bargaining parties to have tested positive in 2003. Accordingly, the presence of a player's name on any such list does not nesessarily mean that the player used a prohibited substance or that the player tested positive under our collectively bargained program.

Second, substantial scientific questions exist as to the interpretation of some of the 2003 test results. The more definitive methods that are utilized by the lab that administers the current Drug Agreement were not utilized by the lab responsible for the anonymous testing program in 2003. The collective bargaining parties did not pursue definitive answers regarding these inconclusive results, since those answers were unnecessary to the administration of the 2003 program.

Third in 2003,legally available nutritional supplements could trigger an intial"positive"test under our program. To account for this, each "test" conducted in 2003 actually consisted of a pair of collections: the first was unannounced and random, the second was approximately 7 days later, with the player advised to cease taking supplements during the interim. Under the 2003 program, a test could be initially reported as "positive", but not treated as such by the bargaining parties on account of the second test. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BTW,   after the "hot" start, coming back to earth fast ......  0 for 16 with 16 runners LOB.......  For 26MIL, we all should expect a little better !!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

BTW,   after the "hot" start, coming back to earth fast ......  0 for 16 with 16 runners LOB.......  For 26MIL, we all should expect a little better !!!

Because leading the team with a .336 average,1.010 OPS and a .634 Slugging percentage is so terrible.

Do you even think before you post such nonsense?We get it,it's not about the Sox winning or losing,you just want Ortiz to fail so you can say "I'm right".

Pretty pathetic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bill-806 is pathetic with the Ortiz hate.  As if some of our other well-paid players haven't had mini-slumps lately.

Bill understands zero about major league baseball, unfortunately.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

AS DAD would say........ "SON, where there is smoke, theres fire" !!!!

To follow that logic, when posters here say that Bill's posts are illogical, that Bill knows nothing about baseball, that Bill's posts become too political, and that Bill is Softy's tool, these people are right?

I'm like Shaunnessy.  I'm just asking a question. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Because leading the team with a .336 average,1.010 OPS and a .634 Slugging percentage is so terrible.

Do you even think before you post such nonsense?We get it,it's not about the Sox winning or losing,you just want Ortiz to fail so you can say "I'm right".

Pretty pathetic.

Free falling to 336 is a far cry of the 550 of a week ago.... Not to mention from the 350 at the start of last nights game !!!   Should be some concern here !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bill, every player goes through bad stretches.  You talk like a little kid who knows nothing about major league baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Papi isnt the most eloquent person in the world...but no one would say he is a phony and not heartfelt when speaking out - but you have to figure that in this day and age he is clean given the testing....you don't make an accusation like that without some proof.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Pretty pathetic.

Free falling to 336 is a far cry of the 550 of a week ago.... Not to mention from the 350 at the start of last nights game !!!   Should be some concern here !!!

Did you REALLY expect him to hit .550 for the year?Of course his average is going to drop at some point.Are you still going to complain if he hits .336 for the entire season? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Papi isnt the most eloquent person in the world...but no one would say he is a phony and not heartfelt when speaking out - but you have to figure that in this day and age he is clean given the testing....you don't make an accusation like that without some proof.

Right, geo.  Ortiz says he has been tested 12 times this year already.  And if that isn't true I'm sure somebody would have jumped on it by now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

Right, geo.  Ortiz says he has been tested 12 times this year already.  And if that isn't true I'm sure somebody would have jumped on it by now.

+3

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

If Ortiz is clean -- and I believe he is -- he needs to be mad at guys like Bonds and McGwire and their ilk and Donald Fehr. They created this world, not the media.

Ortiz is paid incredibly well, with that comes a downside, he should suck it up.

He should blame Melky Cabrera, ARod, Braun, .... and himself.  Has he ever come clean about his positive test in ~2002?  If it was some over-the-counter minor stuff, he should have had a press conference and moved on.

His amazing longevity is something to behold, he has topped his career .928 OPS at ages 35, 36, and now 37.  Ted Williams did the same at 35, 36, and 38.  It can be done, but in these times it is suspicious.

They wont tell him what he tested positive for. If he knew, then maybe he could be precise. He has said hes just taken vitamins and supplements. Could be something that is banned now, that wsnt then and that causes a false positive is all. He hasnt played a position in a decade, not sure why you compare him to position players. He doesnt have the wear and tear that guys who played the field do, so its not suspicious at all IMO.

Im not saying he hasnt done anything. I dont l know because theres not enough solid proof. There certainly wasnt enough for Dan to go talk to him about it. CHB conveniently left of things that countered his argument and didnt give all the facts, like the ones I listed above.The testing policy is the best and toughest in the world. Hes just looking for a story, so he created one

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The media (shaughnassy) in this case has made a story out of nothing and has Papi having to defend himself for no reason.  IMO this has now been a distraction to him and the team.  This team was playing well and rolling along so the media has to find something negative and made up to write about?  Its total bs.  The media is way out of control and has been for a while.  If I am Papi or any good athlete (which I am not)  I wouldn't give these guys the time of day.  No comment is the best answer for every question.  And as I listen WEEI they want to defend this rodent.  LOL.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

The media (shaughnassy) in this case has made a story out of nothing and has Papi having to defend himself for no reason.  IMO this has now been a distraction to him and the team.  This team was playing well and rolling along so the media has to find something negative and made up to write about?  Its total bs.  The media is way out of control and has been for a while.  If I am Papi or any good athlete (which I am not)  I wouldn't give these guys the time of day.  No comment is the best answer for every question.  And as I listen WEEI they want to defend this rodent.  LOL.   

all those media slugs stick together

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Agreed.  As my uncle used to say, "One of them (defecates) and the others cover it up".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Agreed.  As my uncle used to say, "One of them (defecates) and the others cover it up".

or eat it up

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I am all for freedom of the press but accusations that impugn one's livlihood or reputation need to be outed....being a reporter doesn't mean you have the "write" to throw anything against the wall to see what sticks - I guess that's why they call him Shank....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Papi only has four homers which places him 5th on our team, accusing him of steroids is lazy journalism at best, libel at worst.  If he had any proof he wouldn't have slanted it as opinion. Dan likes to say inflammatory stuff every so often so he stays relevant.