What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

The 9 locks:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholtz
    Bard
    Aceves
    Bailey
    Melancon
    Morales
    Albers
    (DL: Jenks, Hill, Haeger, Carlson, Lackey)

Choose 3 from:
    Doubront (no options)
    Tazawa
    Bowden (no options)
    Padilla
    Mortensen
    A Miller
    Atchison
    Cook
    Silva
    Maine
    A Wilson
    Duckworth
    T Pena
    Germano

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

Does Miller have options?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?:
    [QUOTE]Does Miller have options?
    Posted by tripleb2066[/QUOTE]

His deal isn't even guaranteed, but I'm not sure if he has an out clause if he isn't on the ML roster at some point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

I'd start with Miller, Doubrant and Bowden then see how they do. I think Padilla could have some success also in Aceves 2011 role.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Spring training will decide that. Instead of gifting roster spots to old fat slobs like Tim Wastefield, it's nice to see merit from spring training competition determine who gets the opening day active roster spots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I would say that unless they stink pretty bad in ST, Doubront and Bowden will fill 2 of the slots, just to keep as many options and as much flexibility on the roster as possible.  Some of the decision will be based on whether Bard and/or Aceves are in the rotation, and whether we need another starter to fill one of those spots or not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'm still holding out hope that the Sox add another starter.  Although I think we have enough pieces to at least get to midseason, if things don't break right we could be in serious trouble.   I would feel a lot more comfortable with someone like Oswalt in the mix, even though he comes with some question marks of his own.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think there will be some dealing before April, but assuming no additions or trades, I vote for Doubront, Bowden and Cook.  Bowden to join the BP, Doubront to be a swing man, and Cook to be the #5 starter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Doubront, Bowdeb, and Maine

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

In Response to What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?:
    [QUOTE]The 9 locks: Beckett Lester Buchholtz Bard Aceves Bailey Melancon Morales Albers (DL: Jenks, Hill, Haeger, Carlson, Lackey) Choose 3 from: Doubront (no options) Tazawa Bowden (no options) Padilla Mortensen A Miller Atchison Cook Silva Maine A Wilson Duckworth T Pena Germano
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sleeper pick for the # 5 starter....Aaron Cook (if he's healthy of course)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?:
    [QUOTE]Spring training will decide that. Instead of gifting roster spots to old fat slobs like Tim Wastefield, it's nice to see merit from spring training competition determine who gets the opening day active roster spots.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

This is like an opinion board.  If the decision had already been made, then the question wouldn't have been raised.  It's okay not to have an opinion, but then you might as well not have wasted your time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd like to have seen you include Oswalt as an option.  The longer this goes on, the better it is for us, imo.  TX and StL likely won't sign him unless they move someone else, and that becomes more compliated as time winds down.

I like Tazawa the best of the group, but he has options, and maybe they'll want him stretched out in AAA.  My guess is that it will be Bowden and Miller.  Bowden looked 'okay' at the end of the year, and he has a pedigree.  Miller didn't look terrible in limited RP appearances, and had a 25/6 K/W against lefties.  I think they might think to keep him in the BP for a year and hope to get lucky.  If he bombs, Tazawa will still be available.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Wakefield is still an option and frankly, if his name were included in moons list, would have looked pretty good compared to the others named. We know what Wake brings to the table, the others, we do not.
    i also agree that Oswalt should be included in the mix, but my concern with him is pitching in the AL, let alone the ALE. Same for Cook, Padilla, and Maine.
    Face it. Pitching in the AL is much more difficult.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield is still an option and frankly, if his name were included in moons list, would have looked pretty good compared to the others named. We know what Wake brings to the table, the others, we do not. i also agree that Oswalt should be included in the mix, but my concern with him is pitching in the AL, let alone the ALE. Same for Cook, Padilla, and Maine. Face it. Pitching in the AL is much more difficult.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

The ALE is tougher, but he's performed at a very high level.

IRT Wake, the problem is his name.  If you compared him to others, based on last year's stats, but didn't put up the names, he'd compare favorably.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The No. 4 & 5 starters are a crap shoot.    Some had health problems and some pitched very limited innings in 2011.    Expecting any of them to go deep into games will be a real stretch.     A very busy bullpen in 2012.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

As Yogi B. reputedly once said, " Predictions are hard, especially about the future "

I'd bet Bard & Aceves will battle for # 4 spot in rotation, with one back to bullpen as setup man spelling Melancon.
    I think Doubront & Cook are the battle for # 5 spot , and sincerely hope Felix puts it all together this year. Otherwise he'll battle Rich Hill and Miller for long l/h spot in BP.(Morales the LOOGY).
    If Aceves / Bard non-starter reverts to BP, along with Bailey,Melancon,Morales, Hill/Miller winner, Albers, one spot is left for either Bowden or Tazawa.
    The last r/h bullpen spot would be claimable by Jenks IF he ever returns healthy.
    The fifth starter spot could be Dice-K's by late July. So IF one of Bard /Aceves is at least average as a starter we really only need about 17 starts from either Cook or Doubront, ASSUMING full healthy seasons from Big 3 and return of a competent Matsuzaka.
    Or am I too optimistic ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Also....Mortensen has options but could start a few in a pinch. I believe Tazawa has an option left, so could replace a non-functioning Bowden as could Atchison, if latter stays unclaimed / unsigned by other clubs.

Padilla, Silva, and Maine ( in that order of serviceability ) are just emergency cannon fodder. Wilson needs more seasoning in minors, and I'd be shocked, shocked I say to ever see Pena, Germano or Duckworth in a Sox uni, ever.

But in 2012 Lester, Beckett & Buchholz will all stay healthy, produce 99 starts and 50 wins between them, Bard or Aceves will start 16 times and win 8, Dice-K gives us 15 starts / 9 wins, and Doubront goes 21-9, 2.85 ERA and wins the Cy Young and World Series MVP trophies !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love to see Bard and Aceves both end up in the pen, but that can only happen if 2 guys pitch well enough in ST to make the rotation. I hope Doubront comes to camp in shape this year, because I see him as the best option right now. I see a good chance that one of these guys earns the 5th slot (in rough order of ability to win the slot): Padilla, Cook, Mortensen, Silva, Miller, and Wilson. 

If two win starting roles, then that leaves only one slot for relief. I like Tazawa better than Bowden, but like last year, the slot may go to the player with no options (Bowden) over perhaps the better option (Tazawa).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield is still an option and frankly, if his name were included in moons list, would have looked pretty good compared to the others named. We know what Wake brings to the table, the others, we do not. i also agree that Oswalt should be included in the mix, but my concern with him is pitching in the AL, let alone the ALE. Same for Cook, Padilla, and Maine. Face it. Pitching in the AL is much more difficult.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I agree that Wake seems like at least an equal option to many of the guys on my list, but I don't see Ben giving him a chance. 

Wake would match up well with the return of Dice-K, since like I said last year, Wake should not pitch more than 12-15 straight starts or have130+ IP. Wake has had some pretty good success at the start of the season or his first few starts. Other than 2010, his beginnings have been pretty darn good...

2011: Had a 4.14 ERA April & May combined, and once he joined the rotation FT, he led the team to a 10-4 record by letting up 3 or less ERs 9 times.

2010: The year after his back surgery was a rollercoaster aided by being jerked back and forth from the rotation a full 10 times! He still had a 4.44 ERA on May 23rd. In his first 6 scattered starts he let up 2, 5, 6, 2, 3, and 0 ERs in (18 ER in 40 total IP/ 4.05 ERA).

2009: His first 15 starts earned him an allstar slot.  The team went 12-3. He had a 4.18 ERA. He had 7 starts with 0-2 ERs, 3 with 3 ERS, 1 with 4 ER, 2 with 5 ERs, and 2 with 6-7.

2008: He actually started slow, but had a great stretch from May 28th to July 12th (9 straight starts with 0-3 ERs/ 7 with 0-2 ERs). His ERA on July 12th was 3.60 and he ended the season with the 5th best WHIP in the AL.

2007: Fantastic start to the season. He started the year with 26 straight games with zero no decisions! (16-10). He had a 1.79 ERA after 7 starts with 5 of those start with 0-1 ER!). He still had a 3.92 ERA by June 12th.

2006: After letting up 7 ER in 3.2 IP in his first start, he let up 0-3 ERs in his next 7 starts . After a couple bad starts (4 & 6 ERs), he then had 10 straight starts with 0-3 ERS, except one 4 ER game. He had a 3.82 ERA on June 20th.

2005: 1.75 ERA after 4 starts in April and a 3.61 ERA after 8 starts (May 15th).  He then had a 4 game bad stretch (5,6,4,7 ERs), then 4 nice ones (1,0,0,2 ERs)...3.94 ERA at the end of June.

2004: 3.97 ERA on July 10th (11 starts with 0-2 ERS out of 17 starts)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Cool thread as far as something to talk about but the Red Sox have two guys in Bard and Aceves that are being looked at as starters that were relievers last year.  Which we all know of course.

But my point is it's impossible to do an informed guess without knowing how that works out.  For example if Aceves is starting maybe Bowden is on the team and Cook isn't.  If Aceves is relieving then maybe Cook is on the team and Bowden isn't.  Based on the Aceves-Bard variable it is almost impossible to predict.

I don't remember any Red Sox team in the 30 plus years I have been following the team ever having two guys from the bullpen from the past year being considered for the rotation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE] I don't remember any Red Sox team in the 30 plus years I have been following the team ever having two guys from the bullpen from the past year being considered for the rotation.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

The thought of both Bard and Aceves moving to the rotation makes me very uneasy.  It's quite possible that both do very well, but IMO, it involves too much risk, similar to trying to fill 2 rotation spots with rookies.  I  really hope at least one them remains in the pen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I expect Bowden to be dealt for a pitcher with options left, and possibly someone in A-ball or AA...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I also expect Bowden to be traded.  I think if Doubront proves healthy and fit, but not ready to crack the rotation, that he will also be traded.  Don't expect either to really be on the team this year.  But barring a trade I would expect both to make the club out of ST camp, simply because they are out of options.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What 3 pitchers Will Fill the Last 3 Slots on the Sox Opening Day Pitching Staff? : The ALE is tougher, but he's performed at a very high level. IRT Wake, the problem is his name.  If you compared him to others, based on last year's stats, but didn't put up the names, he'd compare favorably. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] Interesting point. Which only proves that most of the more ignorant posters here are very subjective, and do not look at what would good fo the team. I honestly believe that Ben would consider re-signing Wake if someone could catch him.